When the french arrive.....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Sortus83 #41 Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6993 battles

View PostSmellyOne, on 13 December 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

If you victimize yourself in *advance*, i think you will actually cause more hate/joke/name calling than if you ignored it. Think about it.

Its like with little kids: often they dont understand the things they say, they say stuff because they want reaction, so more you react to their teasing more likely it is to continue.

So true... one thing to remember. Don't feed Trolls! If you stop getting mad, most of the french haters will stop.
But i love good Trolls :D Hope they'll make some really creative french jokes... not the boring retreating jokes.  <_<

Knobster #42 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5375 battles
  • [UHF] UHF

View PostTsakachumi, on 13 December 2011 - 12:54 AM, said:

Yup, that's because that is an Armistice. The definition of an armistice is:

The definition of surrendering:

There's a complete difference. Armistice is different from surrendering. It's the stopping of fighting so both sides find a truce. Surrendering is the declaration of defeat by one side. The winning side provides the terms of surrender. France never surrendered its army, people or country over to Nazi Germany.

nope, they only gave the germans half of the country, and then the new french government collaborated in a high degree, even going as far as having the remaining french army (that was not following de Gaulle in britain) to fight against the allies and the free french army...
and after the invasion of france by the allies the remaining vichy regime took refuge in germany and established a government in exile...

Just like the germans have to live with the nazi-past, the french have to live with the vichy-past, as do all nations with a less than spotless past (pro tip: that's ALL nations)

PS:History aside, perception of french chauvinism/nationalism and general arrogance goes a long way to explaining why so many of these jokes still persist amongst other europeans

Silentstalker #43 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16479 battles

View PostSortus83, on 13 December 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

So true... one thing to remember. Don't feed Trolls! If you stop getting mad, most of the french haters will stop.
But i love good Trolls :D Hope they'll make some really creative french jokes... not the boring retreating jokes.  <_<

Hmmm... well, I heard the French will have a special new consumable: The Escargots (+10% tank speed) - "Drive, Jean, drive! Toilet just around the corner!"

SmellyOne #44 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21666 battles
I just find it interesting how everyone makes fun of the French (ok ok i admit it, i told a joke or 2 as well), but at the same time nobody talks about the Italians, who in my humble opinion were like the worst army in WW2 (compared to them, French fared FAR better if you have in mind what they faced. And they fought on despite losing like 40% of the army at Calais).

Sortus83 #45 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6993 battles

View PostSmellyOne, on 13 December 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

I just find it interesting how everyone makes fun of the French (ok ok i admit it, i told a joke or 2 as well), but at the same time nobody talks about the Italians, who in my humble opinion were like the worst army in WW2 (compared to them, French fared FAR better if you have in mind what they faced. And they fought on despite losing like 40% of the army at Calais).

But they dont develop Italian tanks in WoT. So no use..

kodos #46 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 14438 battles
  • [RENO] RENO
A ship accident, but there are not enough lifeboats.
Everyone who can't get a place gets a life jacket and is told to jump, but nobody dares.
The crew is desperate and finally, the captain is called. He goes to the group, which is anxiously at the railing and talk with them.
After that one by one is jumping into the water.
When all passengers are aboard, the first Officer ask the captain, what he told them.

"It was easy," he says. "To the Germans, I said, it's an order, to the French that it's patriotic, to the Japanese that jumping is good for the potency and to the Italiens that jamping ist forbidden.

Shao #47 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 13422 battles
France was involved in WW 2 ? ;)

Na, the most important Point is ... Balancing.
I hope WG will do it right, so nobody has to cry about OP Stuff.

magicalme #48 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19274 battles
They will introduce an in-game report function before the French tanks. This alone will reduce insults and bad jokes. And if not, then start reporting. Someone should also report all the smart asses in this thread making French tank jokes about backwards speed/armor/white flags. Maybe I just do that now.

Jukelo #49 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 26576 battles

View PostKnobster, on 13 December 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

Just like the germans have to live with the nazi-past, the french have to live with the vichy-past, as do all nations with a less than spotless past (pro tip: that's ALL nations)

Well that's entirely the point. Saying that germany has to live with the past doesn't mean that the sons and grandsons of the people that lived back then should have to suffer from the mistakes of their ancestors. I dont see why the germans would have to suffer the nazi jokes either. Knowing that your great grandparents may have done some bad stuff is usually enough.
This whole 'you have to suffer because of what someone did back then' thing is bullshit. Today's young french and german people are NOT anti semitic, and the culture they're born in has nothing to do with what it was back then. France, Germany, and probably all european countries are different countries, so don't try to justify your childish behavior on the past.

Czert1938 #50 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 35503 battles

View PostJukelo, on 13 December 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

The problem in my point of view is people make fun of the french soldiers that, back in that time, most definitely didn't act like cowards and retreated or surrendered. The french army fought bravely the german where it could but sadly the german doctrine of blitzkrieg was definitely not something the french were expecting. Lots of french soldiers died during and after the battle of France, and every time you make a surrender joke, you are insulting THEM, who fought bravely for their country and didn't surrender.
The vichy governement handed over the jews, not the french army. When you're beaten by a stronger/smarter foe, you agree to the conditions. And the conditions were basically that only the half of france was going to be occupied, in return of what the french govt would do whatever the german wanted. I hope you realize that, armistice or not, surrendering or not, the jews were going to be deported and mass-murdered, so it makes sense to save what can be saved.

And why aren't you making joke about all the other countries that surrendered and sent their jews to the death camps?

Btw I'm french and wasn't born back in that time, didn't have any mean of changing anything to what happened. Should I have to constantly bear with your insults towards my country, which are for the most part unfounded ? Growing a thick skin isn't the answer, insulting others isn't either. Please act on the internet like you would do in real life, remember you are talking to real people.
Myby the figted bravery, but it didnt change thing which happened. It didnt change pre-war cowardice of french goverment, it didnt change that mighty (as thought by many) frens army will colapse during german attack, fighting only one more week longer than much weaker polish army against gremans in 1939. It didnt change thay they did nothing during phoney war or greman invasion to poland.
And because these action, jokes are created, and mainained.
Anf if France didnt surendered in WWII, then Germany didnt surenderend in WWI. You know, booth states signed arministence at compaigne.
Sorry for of topic.

Jukelo #51 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 26576 battles

View PostCzert1938, on 13 December 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

And because these action, jokes are created, and mainained.
Anf if France didnt surendered in WWII, then Germany didnt surenderend in WWI. You know, booth states signed arministence at compaigne.

Could you please state these reasons again, and think two minutes about them?
Or are you from poland and just bitter about what happened way before you were born? ;) In the same vein, I should HATE The british for the hundred years war and the countless events that led my country to war with them. Well, luckily for this world, some people just don't see a point in hating or even making jokes meant to hurt other people.

Vepsen #52 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 22015 battles
OP i hope you are trolling dude. The community is already comprised of mindless drones , at least the jokes are damn funny.

You must be a really sad person to mean what you posted there. I feel for your kind.

LittleLILI #53 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 55664 battles
  • [FRITE] FRITE
I have +1 the opener of this thread, because... I am French and will use French tanks...
No need to add insult to injury.

No needs to speak about History, facts, and other arguments tending to proove otherwise...
We know, we WILL have such jokes, and opening straight away a thread on this topic shows some gutts.

Actually, he touches upon something that is a common joke, and it would be nice to know what WoT expects to do, besides the classic reporting system.
Perhaps the patch 0.7 will help, with a specific in-game reporting item?

Czert1938 #54 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 35503 battles

View PostSmellyOne, on 13 December 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

JUp, french tanks will have option to run out of map when they will be losing side, but itaians will have even nicer feature, they can chance sides when they will be losing and crewmen will eat pizza if they winning.

yourgreatestfear #55 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31427 battles
Whats the harm in jokes about french army? (its certainly not hate to make fun of the french army these days and noone really believes french (or any other army which fought in WW2) were cowards or whatever)
Its not that we germans for example dont joke about our own army all the time. Or maybe you wanna tell me that french people are so fragile that they cant take it?

The simple fact that someone asks for disciplinary actions before even the first joke was told tells me where the hate lies.

Lighten up, most french i know can laugh about it as the whole world does and counter with jokes about the other armies. All french who cant do that should get their head out of the past and grow up.

Only thing which is unacceptable is hate ... which i sadly read very often on russian server ... but ban for a joke ( even if its bad or hasnt raised a smile in centuries) is just ridiculous

PS: Always thought we germans have no space for humor, but seems some french are worst.

robertorolfo #56 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14842 battles

View PostJukelo, on 13 December 2011 - 03:49 PM, said:

Well that's entirely the point. Saying that germany has to live with the past doesn't mean that the sons and grandsons of the people that lived back then should have to suffer from the mistakes of their ancestors. I dont see why the germans would have to suffer the nazi jokes either. Knowing that your great grandparents

Ummm yeah, living with the "jokes" (which are actually just a lighthearted way of touching on a very sore subject) is exactly part of living with the past.  You may not have participated, but you need to be reminded... constantly.

You may think you are so liberal and open-minded now as a "young" French or German (or any nationality), but people tend to become more extreme and conservative as they get older.  The Nazi movement wasn't started by a bunch of guys in their late teens or early twenties.  As a French or German person (just to name two), you are living in a culture with a long and very homogeneous tradition/history.  You may think you are soooo different from your Grandfather and Father who were Nazi's or Nazi collaborators, but you are more like them than you think (whether you realize that or not), and you will become more like them the older you get.  And that is why you need to be reminded of where THEY went wrong, so you don't.

And, like we said before, if you can't deal with that (and some jokes), than you are a sad, sad person... because people dealt with much worse.

azakow #57 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79439 battles
I'm really looking forward to the french tank.
Moreover the jokes, hate or simply lack of knowledge will even encourge me, to spend all my free XP on a direct jump to LT 5 and MT 9.

Being the badass, dealing it without lubricants ... .

Czert1938 #58 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 35503 battles

View PostJukelo, on 13 December 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

Could you please state these reasons again, and think two minutes about them?
Or are you from poland and just bitter about what happened way before you were born? ;) In the same vein, I should HATE The british for the hundred years war and the countless events that led my country to war with them. Well, luckily for this world, some people just don't see a point in hating or even making jokes meant to hurt other people.
No im not from poland.  Why you think ? Because that I writen about poland ? And no, i dont hate frence/frenchmens bacause of that, but let think, Englisch languague is accepted as word wide universal languague, but if you are from another country, and want to speak/trade with frenchs and they refuse tgo speak in englisch but want to speak in french, and in every other country speaking with englisch is not problem, do you think that it will earn popularity points to france ?
For jokes - soem will die out in time, some will prevail. And it have reason. For some post-war time rats was called germans in my country, but now no one call them that way. Mayby it have reasons.
For surrendering/arministence - it is very simple. Just to point that it can be difference in definition of surrender and arministence, then here is no point to write that france didt surrendered in 1940. Because in fact, germany literary didnt  surendered in 1918, but it is commonly used/thought as surrenering. And pointing that didnt surendred based ONLY on wording is not good point.

Sortus83 #59 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6993 battles
Dont get mad. its just a game... :Smile-bajan2:

yourgreatestfear #60 Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31427 battles

View Postazakow, on 13 December 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm really looking forward to the french tank.
Moreover the jokes, hate or simply lack of knowledge will even encourge me, to spend all my free XP on a direct jump to LT 5 and MT 9.

Being the badass, dealing it without lubricants ... .

Not to forget that the Devs themself have proven their sense of humor in implementing the tanks in current version.
Well proven tanks are ingame total crap and out of their historical role, prototypes which never worked as intended outperform the alternatives of their time, some light tanks even became more agile then modern rally cars
... i really wouldnt be surprised if tanks like the amx-50 become total killers even if the combined genius of french and german engineers never got him to work properly.

thats the humor of WG I expect and this will be the greatest joke about the french army  :Smile_great:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users