Long forum posts

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

_DeadWolf #1 Posted 03 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

Something I still can't get my head round, we've all read long posts from members on the forums, whatever the post may be about e.g. tank reviews, possible tech trees etc. Quite a few can be interesting to read especially if it's a discussion about a particular tanks history.

But why oh why are there always 1 or more people commenting about the length of the post, and basically discarding it as boring dribble simply because the author put time and effort into a detailed post? 

Why don't these forum turds go on the Chieftains forum posts and berate his writing material. 

*Edited

Edited by Scarfy_2018, 06 December 2018 - 06:39 PM.
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to flaming

OIias_of_Sunhillow #2 Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

Major

• Player
  • 25246 battles
Tl;dr.  :great:

_DeadWolf #3 Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 03 December 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

Tl;dr.  :great:

*Edited 

Edited by Scarfy_2018, 06 December 2018 - 06:46 PM.
*This post has been edited by the moderation team due to flaming

Homer_J #4 Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_DeadWolf, on 03 December 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

But why oh why are there always 1 or more people commenting about the length of the post, and basically discarding it as boring dribble

Do you have an example?

If the post is well written then it will get a generally good reception.  If it is boring dribble trying to hide the same old whines about arty and mm or the same old tin foil hat theories then it will get a bad reception.

TL : DR posts (and posters) generally get the reception they deserve.

Edited by Homer_J, 03 December 2018 - 03:27 PM.

_DeadWolf #5 Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

It is anecdotal, I'm not sifting through the forums to find a particular thread for an example. I posted this after talking about it with a buddy of mine.

I'm not talking about whine threads as they are just spam mostly, I'm focusing more on the threads that are actually honest and meaningful. I don't see why it's necessary for anyone to berate the author purely on the length of the post. A person's review of anything is just pointless if it's reduced to a single tl;Dr paragraph. "TANK REVIEW - Tl;Dr it's great cos it can do this. The end".... Wow, much interest...

Homer_J #6 Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_DeadWolf, on 03 December 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

I don't see why it's necessary for anyone to berate the author purely on the length of the post.

Me neither, but there is an answer for that.  Under the person's avatar is a button marked Report.  It works pretty well.  Nearly as well as a qpranger like.

_DeadWolf #7 Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [B-MBT] B-MBT

View PostHomer_J, on 03 December 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

Me neither, but there is an answer for that.  Under the person's avatar is a button marked Report.  It works pretty well.  Nearly as well as a qpranger like.

I don't see how a report would work when most of the berating comments are passive aggressive remarks. certainly doesn't help when it's the first comment on the thread as it immediately devalues the thread itself and the effort put into writing it. wonder what the forums would be like if there were a minimum character limit of 500 for every thread post/comment

Homer_J #8 Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_DeadWolf, on 03 December 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

I don't see how a report would work when most of the berating comments are passive aggressive remarks.

Did you ever try?

The mods are pretty good at seeing that kind of thing for what it is.  Unfortunately they don't read the whole forum (even i don't manage that feat) so sometimes they just need a nudge in the right direction.

Of course it could just be sarcasm, like the first reply to this thread.  Which as often is the case gets lost on the internet.

Edited by Homer_J, 03 December 2018 - 04:20 PM.

UrQuan #9 Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20629 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post_DeadWolf, on 03 December 2018 - 04:06 PM, said:

I don't see how a report would work when most of the berating comments are passive aggressive remarks. certainly doesn't help when it's the first comment on the thread as it immediately devalues the thread itself and the effort put into writing it. wonder what the forums would be like if there were a minimum character limit of 500 for every thread post/comment

People do read long forum threads & if well written, they are received well too, even if the first post is some snarky TL;DR! thing. And in such case, feel free to flag that *TL!DR!* post for being non-constructive.

I sometimes post long wordy responses to threads & from the responses I get, people appreciate it, even when it's on page 14 of some long thread.

The danger of many long posts is that they get ranty & boring, especially with few or even no structure built in. If you make a long post, built structure in it, separate the text blocks, so people can easily analyze the text & don't get lost in a word maze/soup.

If the text is a bit too dry, add in informative or funny pictures, it really helps alot. It's a forumpost, not a book. Oh and if able, do post a short summary at the beginning or the end, to condense the text to the core points. It really helps the discussion too for people who just want to get down to the core of business.

Remember that on a forum you have people of all ways of life, from people that don't read much to bookworms & long threads have to appeal to that as well, so got to take that into account + long threads have a much higher likelyhood of errors that people will point out. And sadly that criticism can send some well started threads into the crapper when the maker of the long thread can't handle criticism well.

Also, no harm in repeating some points in a long post, just don't overdo it. It helps with understanding when you point out something you wrote earlier in the post becomes relevant in the upcoming section you wrote.

Don't focus on the negative responses only, too many do that. Rather focus on the positive commentary (this includes well written criticism on said wordy post)

Oh and if you make a claim & make a big long wordy post, please add in the effort of links to evidence of your claims. These can be stat sites, replays, essays on mechanics, anything. If you made the effort of creating a wordy post about a claim, it's only a small effort to add a link to evidence, to avoid getting ridiculed. And if you go 'this is fact, I just can't show evidence right now' then hold off posting till you find a link to something that supports your claim.

Big claim & no evidence to back it up? Chances to get ridiculed are high, because likely the forum crowd has heard such claim a hundred times now. Bonus if evidence is found that is contrary to your claim.

The short of it: put effort in your long wordy post & people will appreciate it, even if some don't.

Jigabachi #10 Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Sometimes people write "TL:DR" out of boredom or just for the sake of posting a silly comment at least after they opened the thread.

But... yeah. Impossible to comment without an example. I can't remember a single well written and elaborate thread that got more than a few silly comments. Only the bad threads do, which is pretty normal.

250swb #11 Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 23165 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_DeadWolf, on 03 December 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

But why oh why are there always 1 or more people commenting about the length of the post, and basically discarding it as boring dribble simply because the author put time and effort into a detailed post? 

Those people are probably the connoisseurs of good writing. There is one universal rule for a good op-ed article, and that is if the reader doesn't find out what the article is about in the first sentence it's not worth going on with. Very few journalists could buck the rule, one was the late great Alistair Cooke, another the late great Christopher Hitchens, and nobody writing a long article on the forum should try to excuse themselves from it. 

Edited by 250swb, 03 December 2018 - 04:41 PM.

__Eric__ #12 Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31066 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostUrQuan, on 03 December 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

People do read long forum threads & if well written, they are received well too, even if the first post is some snarky TL;DR! thing. And in such case, feel free to flag that *TL!DR!* post for being non-constructive.

I sometimes post long wordy responses to threads & from the responses I get, people appreciate it, even when it's on page 14 of some long thread.

The danger of many long posts is that they get ranty & boring, especially with few or even no structure built in. If you make a long post, built structure in it, separate the text blocks, so people can easily analyze the text & don't get lost in a word maze/soup.

If the text is a bit too dry, add in informative or funny pictures, it really helps alot. It's a forumpost, not a book. Oh and if able, do post a short summary at the beginning or the end, to condense the text to the core points. It really helps the discussion too for people who just want to get down to the core of business.

Remember that on a forum you have people of all ways of life, from people that don't read much to bookworms & long threads have to appeal to that as well, so got to take that into account + long threads have a much higher likelyhood of errors that people will point out. And sadly that criticism can send some well started threads into the crapper when the maker of the long thread can't handle criticism well.

Also, no harm in repeating some points in a long post, just don't overdo it. It helps with understanding when you point out something you wrote earlier in the post becomes relevant in the upcoming section you wrote.

Don't focus on the negative responses only, too many do that. Rather focus on the positive commentary (this includes well written criticism on said wordy post)

Oh and if you make a claim & make a big long wordy post, please add in the effort of links to evidence of your claims. These can be stat sites, replays, essays on mechanics, anything. If you made the effort of creating a wordy post about a claim, it's only a small effort to add a link to evidence, to avoid getting ridiculed. And if you go 'this is fact, I just can't show evidence right now' then hold off posting till you find a link to something that supports your claim.

Big claim & no evidence to back it up? Chances to get ridiculed are high, because likely the forum crowd has heard such claim a hundred times now. Bonus if evidence is found that is contrary to your claim.

The short of it: put effort in your long wordy post & people will appreciate it, even if some don't.

tldr :P

SiliconSidewinder #13 Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 28045 battles

View Post_DeadWolf, on 03 December 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Proving my point even more. Tl;Dr just an easy way to say you can't be bothered reading making your presence on a 'forum' certainly questionable. Think instagram is better outlet for such people, less reading and more hate

actually I am pretty sure you were just made fun off by giving you exactly the answer you were complaining about.

on your original post though:

if the topic is good a snarky fun pust just ensures the topic stays on top of the front page.

if the topic is badly written or just nonsense it well get more of the same.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #14 Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Major

• Player
  • 25246 battles

View Post_DeadWolf, on 03 December 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

Proving my point even more. Tl;Dr just an easy way to say you can't be bothered reading making your presence on a 'forum' certainly questionable. Think instagram is better outlet for such people, less reading and more hate

I did read your post, my reply above, was a poor attempt at humour. But if I hadn't somebody else would've. :great:

The thing is, with long posts, the attention has to grabbed within the first two or three sentences, on a subject that purely, and dynamically, appeals, to that particular reader.

It's harder than it seems.

You're speaking so passionately about a subject, that is so personal to you, that you have to post it.

And then hope that enough people share that same passion, and personal to them, that they just have to reply to the thread.

Forums can be hard work, but any author will tell you the same thing.

Nishi_Kinuyo #15 Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8070 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

My main issue with long forum posts is if they're barely organised or structured in any way.

Just one huge big wall of text where one can count oneself lucky to find some form of punctuation inside.

And in some occasions I have actually pointed it out to the author that what ever they are trying to bring across can be much more effective by those two/three simple measurements.

Some of them, naturally, refuse to heed my advice at all, because why should one make use of common sense.

As a frequenter of the forum bar, I am no stranger to longer posts which may or may not be rants.

But I am not opposed to them on principle alone.

Tovarishch UrQuan's post above would be a decent enough example of how it could be done nice and properly.

__Eric__ #16 Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31066 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 03 December 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

My main issue with long forum posts is if they're barely organised or structured in any way.

Just one huge big wall of text where one can count oneself lucky to find some form of punctuation inside.

And in some occasions I have actually pointed it out to the author that what ever they are trying to bring across can be much more effective by those two/three simple measurements.

Some of them, naturally, refuse to heed my advice at all, because why should one make use of common sense.

As a frequenter of the forum bar, I am no stranger to longer posts which may or may not be rants.

But I am not opposed to them on principle alone.

Tovarishch UrQuan's post above would be a decent enough example of how it could be done nice and properly.

We all know how Pansy can post ;)   (and that is in a positive way)

Joggaman #17 Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:12 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24647 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm awaiting Desyatnik Pansys answer:hiding:

Jigabachi #18 Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJoggaman, on 03 December 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

I'm awaiting Desyatnik Pansys answer:hiding:
Spoiler

:hiding:

Edited by Jigabachi, 03 December 2018 - 09:16 PM.

Laci183 #19 Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:30 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5250 battles

Dear WG
Suggest to enhance the game experience 

In my great battle, I'm a top wounder, but my players are not well aware of what their task is in the battle or AFK. That is why I would like to give an idea of how to classify the battleship of the battle.
The top wounding losing team does not get a negative value (Only the top wound) but the 0 wounders 2X punish 2X to the rank of wr who made the team a 1X wr deduction. It would be better for players to play. Whoever does for the team gets the same value as summoning.

I beg you to think about it.

I remain with respect: László Baliga my name is Laci183       Wot Blitz

Joggaman #20 Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:16 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24647 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLaci183, on 06 December 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

Dear WG
Suggest to enhance the game experience 

In my great battle, I'm a top wounder, but my players are not well aware of what their task is in the battle or AFK. That is why I would like to give an idea of how to classify the battleship of the battle.
The top wounding losing team does not get a negative value (Only the top wound) but the 0 wounders 2X punish 2X to the rank of wr who made the team a 1X wr deduction. It would be better for players to play. Whoever does for the team gets the same value as summoning.

I beg you to think about it.

I remain with respect: László Baliga my name is Laci183       Wot Blitz

:facepalm:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users