Jump to content


Sand River Assault.

Old Maps Fun I Like Dags

  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Sand River Assault? (43 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Did You Enjoy Assault?

  1. Yey (27 votes [62.79%])

    Percentage of vote: 62.79%

  2. Ney (13 votes [30.23%])

    Percentage of vote: 30.23%

  3. I Like Dags (3 votes [6.98%])

    Percentage of vote: 6.98%

Did You Enjoy Defense?

  1. Yey (31 votes [72.09%])

    Percentage of vote: 72.09%

  2. Ney (10 votes [23.26%])

    Percentage of vote: 23.26%

  3. I Like Dags (2 votes [4.65%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.65%

Reinstate Assault on Sand River?

  1. Yey (27 votes [62.79%])

    Percentage of vote: 62.79%

  2. Ney (10 votes [23.26%])

    Percentage of vote: 23.26%

  3. I Like Dags (6 votes [13.95%])

    Percentage of vote: 13.95%

Vote Hide poll

Erwin_Von_Braun #1 Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42551 battles
  • 6,100
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

So, a recent topic on Empires Border got me thinking about how much I miss Assault Mode on Sand River.

Attack or defense, a little part of me always went 'YEY' when it came up in the rotation.

Sure, it was ever so slightly biased :hiding: but it was tremendous fun to play & worthy of reinstatement.


 

What say you?


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

And in case you have no idea what dags are...


 


 


 



psychobear #2 Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 19576 battles
  • 2,099
  • [L3GND] L3GND
  • Member since:
    06-21-2012

Yay all the way. Assault on Sand River was awesome. So, naturally, it got removed. Seems to be the trend, awesome things in the game get removed, while utter crap things don't. 

 

Thanks for "listening to the playerbase", WG.



Erwin_Von_Braun #3 Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:34 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42551 battles
  • 6,100
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View Postpsychobear, on 05 December 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

Yay all the way. Assault on Sand River was awesome. So, naturally, it got removed. Seems to be the trend, awesome things in the game get removed, while utter crap things don't.

 

Thanks for "listening to the playerbase", WG.

 

I guess the whole good/bad thing is just perspective :)

Oddly enough, a good chunk of my Pascuccis Medals have (old fashioned ones where you needed three arty to earn one) have come on this map when attacking in a fast, nimble LT.

Tremendous fun:)



psychobear #4 Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:41 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 19576 battles
  • 2,099
  • [L3GND] L3GND
  • Member since:
    06-21-2012

I would love to get back the assault mode on Prokhorovka too. And i would really love to see WG roll back all the map "reworks" they have done, except for Serene Coast.

It just beggars belief how they managed to screw up each and every map, with each and every rework. I would say they have monkeys working in the map department, but man, even monkeys could never screw up this bad.



XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 53231 battles
  • 5,324
  • Member since:
    04-02-2016

I was thinking a couple of days ago, how would assault mode work anymore after they drilled that hole in F1???

 

Of course i'd like it back with some modifications to help the attacking team but i guess it's not going to happen.



krismorgan #6 Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 36201 battles
  • 594
  • [UKT] UKT
  • Member since:
    10-18-2013
I Like Dags

Simeon85 #7 Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 1141 battles
  • 4,131
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013

'Slightly biased'? Yeh a 65% win rate for the defending team is not 'slightly biased', it was one of the most unbalanced maps in the game. 

 

I'd have it back, if it was rebalanced, but WG clearly don't design maps for Assault mode, as Empire's Border shows. The old Sand River assault was good and much better balanced, (as was the old Sand River standard) then they rebalanced the map, added that stupid trench for noob heavy drivers, which then completely ruined the map for assault mode.

 

What they should do IMO is put different versions of the map into the game for Assault mode, that way we could have old Sand River back and other maps could be adapted to give the mode more maps that were different from the standard versions. 

 

But I get the impression WG don't care about Assault mode at all. 



jack_timber #8 Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:57 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 40279 battles
  • 3,246
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Shame they got rid of it I rather liked it, either defending or attacking.

Never mind it may reappear at some point....



Azgabast #9 Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 19206 battles
  • 272
  • Member since:
    08-19-2012
Sure, bring it back. Whoever does not like assault (myself included) will disable it.

the_real_ratman #10 Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16177 battles
  • 216
  • Member since:
    04-26-2013

I have to admit i liked it even though it was pretty unbalanced and heavily favoured the defending team. But it was still miles better than Empire's Border, which is pretty much the reason i turned off assault mode for now.

I had a lot more fun playing assault on unbalanced Sand River than i ever had on Empire's Border where you just have 3 corridors and everyone with no armor can just go f*** themselves...



Steeleye_Spam #11 Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 34456 battles
  • 371
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-31-2014

Assault on Sand river was why i switched the mode off. Defending was wonderful because of the central ramp which basically controlled the whole map. Attacking was god awful due to 3 corridors, all of which were dead easy to defend, meaning success relied only on random chance of defenders not deploying to cover all of them. The same is now true of Empire's Border, which is why assault mode is still off.



Erwin_Von_Braun #12 Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42551 battles
  • 6,100
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View Postjack_timber, on 06 December 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

Shame they got rid of it I rather liked it, either defending or attacking.

Never mind it may reappear at some point....

 

Fingers crossed.
19:21 Added after 4 minutes

View Postthe_real_ratman, on 06 December 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

I have to admit i liked it even though it was pretty unbalanced and heavily favoured the defending team. But it was still miles better than Empire's Border, which is pretty much the reason i turned off assault mode for now.

I had a lot more fun playing assault on unbalanced Sand River than i ever had on Empire's Border where you just have 3 corridors and everyone with no armor can just go f*** themselves...

 

Whilst I agree with almost everything you say here, I respectfully disagree with regards to Empires Border - had some of my best games in quick, nimble LT's on this map - which I guess is why it reminded me why I miss Sand River Assault so very much:(

View PostSteeleye_Spam, on 06 December 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Assault on Sand river was why i switched the mode off. Defending was wonderful because of the central ramp which basically controlled the whole map. Attacking was god awful due to 3 corridors, all of which were dead easy to defend, meaning success relied only on random chance of defenders not deploying to cover all of them. The same is now true of Empire's Border, which is why assault mode is still off.

 

God awful it may have been sir, but it was also challenging & fun:)

the_real_ratman #13 Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:38 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16177 battles
  • 216
  • Member since:
    04-26-2013

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 06 December 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Whilst I agree with almost everything you say here, I respectfully disagree with regards to Empires Border - had some of my best games in quick, nimble LT's on this map - which I guess is why it reminded me why I miss Sand River Assault so very much:(

Well, the map itself isnt too bad for light tanks in general. It is pretty big with lots of different ways to go if you can roam freely. I have to agree on that. I had a few great games on it myself. However, when playing something like a light tank, i feel like i have a lot less control over how the game goes than i have on other maps, because you either need your team to open up one flank or the enemy team to leave one flank just lightly defended. As long as the enemy blocks all 3 corridors (on assault) with some heavy armor i feel very limited in what i can do there. That wasnt the case on Sand River for example, because i was not forced to face the enemy head on and therefore could be a lot more usefull from the start.



Be_Bop_A_Lula #14 Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:52 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 4823 battles
  • 12
  • Member since:
    05-27-2017

Yes I miss it to.

Maybe it was harder to assault than defend.

But I always enjoyed it.

 

 



Erwin_Von_Braun #15 Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:46 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 42551 battles
  • 6,100
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-25-2014

View PostBe_Bop_A_Lula, on 06 December 2018 - 09:52 PM, said:

Yes I miss it to.

Maybe it was harder to assault than defend.

But I always enjoyed it.

 

 

 

And that, right there is the key - it was always fun.:)




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users