Leopard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

valaeris #1 Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 848 battles
I used to play a lot as the Luchs, and now im playing my leopard, im finding it quite fun tbh! I have been reading, and it seems that in 7.0 patch, this tank will be put in the tier 3-5 matchups which i think is good, means u can use this tank as a light battle tank as well as a scout.
I still ofc find the Russian tanks of the same tier faster, but the leopard carries it speed well in turns, and i think for a very prosthetic view that it does look nice.
How do you all use them? And do you have any tips for me on equipment and tactics, i do well and normally last the match, and arty doesnt seem to notice me, but i still want to do better
I admit its not a T-50 or T-50-2 but i still like it!
Ps does anyone think it needs a better gun, i think my luchs had more punch, but that may be me!
Also i have an addon called generic mod enabler, but im not sure how to use mods or install them, any tips on good mods guys?
Ps Hats off to all my fellow WoT players, and Merry Christmas!

Honeybadger251 #2 Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3406 battles
It takes a while to get used to the leo... i sucked with it at first (as anyone who cares to look at my stats with it will see) and thought of it as a downgrade from the luchs - not as nippy and worse matchmaking. But once i got the hang of it, i realised that its really, really good at what its meant to do, but if you try and make it do something its not meant to do, you wont last long. Theres a few points you should remember;

1. You have a long veiw range for a reason. No need to get too close to the enemy, and no need to stick around for too long once youve spotted them. Go out, find them, get back and head for a different area of the map.
2. You're fast, but acceleration isnt great. If you stop while the enemy are around, youve had it. Any manouver that slows you down significantly will be a death sentence... climbing a hill, doing a U-turn, even knocking down a tree can get you blown to bits. And never, ever take cover behind a house or rock if they start shooting at you. They'll just mob you and your acceleration isnt good enough for you to get away quickly once youve stopped, youll get shot while youre still building up speed.
3. You dont need a massive gun - if you cant do much to an enemy tank, you shouldnt be fighting it anyway. Stick to artys, other light tanks, TD's and lone low-tier heavies like KV or T1. If youre against an arty, ram him. Against an (unsupported!!) TD, park right up against his rear so he has real trouble turning around to get at you. Otherwise, circle your enemy. This is not a peekaboo tank.
4. On camping maps (Komarin, malinovka, el halluf et al) spotting can be safer than scouting. Theres spots in each map where you can see a lot of camping spots, and you have the speed to get there before the other team get in a position to see you getting there.

Hope some of this helped.

theghostcat #3 Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles
Both the Leo and the T-50 have actually had there MM weight increased in the  7.0 patch.

http://overlord-wot....nges-in-70.html

I sold my leo a while back, preferred the T-50, but it was a little too good at tier 4, so IMO the +1 MM weight was needed.

JeffyShow #4 Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5164 battles

View Posttheghostcat, on 15 December 2011 - 10:40 PM, said:

Both the Leo and the T-50 have actually had there MM weight increased in the  7.0 patch.

http://overlord-wot....nges-in-70.html

I sold my leo a while back, preferred the T-50, but it was a little too good at tier 4, so IMO the +1 MM weight was needed.

Well I like hunting down Leos and especially those ugly t-50 in my PzIII  :Smile-izmena:

Bombastikus #5 Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6301 battles
I honestly don't know if they changed it since beta, but boy does the leo feel sluggish nowadays.

Traverse speed....horrible, circling other tanks is almost impossible sans KV-2.
Acceleration......horrible, you need half a map or driving downhill to reach your topspeed...
Topspeed......excellent, shame you almost never reach it. There are maps where you can drive straight without any obstacles and still only barely reach 50-55 km/h.

In the CB I remember driving this little devil into the enemy base, dogding bullets left and right, never loose speed and if so be near topspeed again in a second. And enemy Leopards? DAmn they were a pain in the ass, sure easy to detrack, but hitting one...almost as difficult as a T-50 nowadays.

But today....they are all pretty easily dispatched, only if they happen to drive at full speed are they dodging bullets and since they use so much speed as soon as they only hit drive a bit up or make a small turn...boom, oneshooted.

I don't know...maybe my memory is wrong.....as I said, had one in CB, not so recently bought one back for fun....feels completely different. Since I wanted a fun scout-tank I guess I move back to the PzIII since it seems way more agile and has a small derp.

MKG #6 Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 3295 battles
I've never like Leo, now or during CB. My weapon of choise is Luchs. I purchased Leo to grind to VK. It moves like a brick even after upgrades. I sold it. Even VK is not worth loosing so many time in hated tank.
For me Leo is a full scale failure. It is a hybrid of light and medium tank very successfully merging disadvantages of both. It has weak armor, poor weapons, miserable traverse and big size.

slo3 #7 Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

Goliath Slayer

• Player
  • 46102 battles
  • [SLOT] SLOT
Through enemy line..."unharmed"...
http://shrani.si/t/1g/gG/1xtZyvJD/shot008.jpg

Player of the day...
http://shrani.si/t/35/6J/3yzXFnzW/shot017.jpg

Good scout
http://shrani.si/t/2O/Rq/1coHowLY/shot014.jpg

Can hardly wait for VK2801...

Iron_Snake #8 Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41075 battles
  • [EFE-S] EFE-S
IMO, this tank isn't fast and agile as t50 but can take a lot of punishment from other lights. I use to drive this tank as a scout killer coz last gun is very accurate on the move unlike sh*ty t50s. For scouting, actually, taking part of the map where u can observe the enemy is best tactic for Leo. Sometimes, even the sides of V-VII tanks can be easily penetrated! One advice, don't try to dodge enemy shells as 50 does, play smart  :Smile_honoring:

JeffyShow #9 Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5164 battles
It needs buff. Now its kinda failish.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #10 Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077
I hate the LEO im only using it to get my VK2801 ...

LEO is so slow its useless.

Homer_J #11 Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32233 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDerRizerPin, on 03 February 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

I hate the LEO im only using it to get my VK2801 ...

Time to find a different line.

If you can't make the Leo work then you will have an even harder time with the VK.

XxXSpottedYouXxX #12 Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

General

• Player
  • 23824 battles
  • [4077] 4077

View PostHomer_J, on 03 February 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

Time to find a different line.

If you can't make the Leo work then you will have an even harder time with the VK.

I dont think so bud.

The problem with the LEO is its got a crap gun pointless speed and average turning speed.

The VK2801 is so much better.

. Better chances of survival
. Better gun choice to hurt bigger tanks
. Not so good speed but that is fine i will use it differently compared to my leo
. Looks awesome
. Can be a pain in the ass to arty with its derp cannon

Homer_J #13 Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32233 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDerRizerPin, on 03 February 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

I dont think so bud.

Everyone's opinion of a tank is going to be different but I'm not seeing a VK2801 in your stats.  :Smile_harp:

I think they are both great tanks and I think if you can't make the Leo work you won't make the VK work either.  Both require the driver to engage his brain before playing.

TheDOD #14 Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9720 battles
  • [HOV] HOV
Can't whait till i upgrade the engine/traks. Currently i most like a ligt fighter

Iron_Snake #15 Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41075 battles
  • [EFE-S] EFE-S
Leo a day keeps the 60% at bay  :Smile_great:

Tiger26 #16 Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5516 battles
Leo is a pure joy! That's a statement I'm standing by still!

To all those saying that the acceleration isn't good and that you need the better part of a map to build up speed: NONSENSE!

The acceleration is poorer then the T-50-2 but not something I find to be of a "red alarm" sort...

Well armoured, fast, good cammo, good viwe-range and decent rapid firing gun.

And to the OP: VK 1602 Leopard DOES look good! A little, compact and fast Panther!

I just wish the Germans would've produced it.  :Smile_honoring:

Iron_Snake #17 Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41075 battles
  • [EFE-S] EFE-S
Days ago I was heaving a really awesome rampage with my Leo vs Pz4, 2-3 TD and other lights. I managed to kill 5 and damage 3 others. Medal slipped away again, but for now, best Leo performance ever - 21k credits and 2600x2 experience  :D

Arkmen #18 Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 3670 battles
Hi guys

Well i´m having so many problems with my leo...first of all, can´t remember a decent paring, i always end up in the lowest rank...normally facing tier 6 and 7...sometimes tier 8.
And this is starting to make loose my interest in the game because it´s not fair...i can´t scratch any 1armor and my best part in the game is just to drive, reveal has many target´s has possible and then die...it´s becoming frustrating. I can´t seem to get a decent paring...i already researched tracks, second engine and got the 39 L/60 gun. But it took me forever...will this get better? or i just need to keep grinding to the next tank?

Tips and advices are welcome.

Thx

Iron_Snake #19 Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41075 battles
  • [EFE-S] EFE-S
Arkmen listen. When I started to play Leo I've had a wrong picture too. The tank wasn't that fast and so. Then I stopped - wait there is something in this little guy. It's an awesome protection from front, good gun on the move and low low profile. U can't be seen if u know how to hide. Don't try to shot heavy tanks from front it just wont work! L/60 is fast and can bring good dmg from sides and rear. For pairing, well what to expect when u are on the bottom. Go spot and get back alive for more work. If u are in the mid then face the other lights only from front. If they flank u - game over! It will definitely get better but don't expect miracles.

ColdHeat #20 Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6126 battles
To me it appears, they have nerfed the tank too much. Back in the days when the leo was the top tier german scout, it was a incredible joy to play. The T50-2 of its time. Fast and agile and yet blessed with a great view range.

And in those very rare occasions when you got thrown into low tier matches, you were an unstopable killing machine. My record still holds the Leo as the tank where i achieved the most kills in one battle - 9 - and could have taken on the whole enemy team alone if my teammates wouldn't have wanted their share of kills too. ;)

No doubt about that at these times, the tank was simply op but i see no reason to turn him into such a shadow of his former self in high tier battles. Its really heart breaking to see him perform nowadays.. and the sluggish looking VK2801 unfortunately is no alternative to me, since despite the leo who looks like a mini panther, the VKs appearance is ugly as hell to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users