Gambling? Bad business practice.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

milo007_gunner #1 Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18233 battles
  • [DOCTR] DOCTR
Title says it all. Especially when you consider that a lot of wot players are underage. Addiction to gambling ruins lives. 

21:16 Added after 1 minute
Sorry for posting in the wrong subforum. Only now I see my error. 

HassenderZerhacker #2 Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31092 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG
but definitely still one of the best ways to separate fools from their money...

Nazgarth #3 Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28472 battles

Enforcer1975 #4 Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 21568 battles
I wonder why nobody yet accused insurance companies of inciting people to gamble...because an insurance is basically a gamble / bet on an outcome too.  

Edited by Enforcer1975, 13 December 2018 - 11:18 PM.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #5 Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:33 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25937 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostEnforcer1975, on 13 December 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

I wonder why nobody yet accused insurance companies of inciting people to gamble...because an insurance is basically a gamble / bet on an outcome too.  

Desperately loaded in the house's favour.

unhappy_bunny #6 Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:43 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 19810 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

One man's gambling (lottery) is another man's purchase of goods with a free ticket for a prize draw. The 1st is covered by legislation and the 2nd is not. 

So which category does WG's loot boxes fall into? 

Mr_Deo #7 Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:25 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44233 battles
  • [ESAF] ESAF

View PostEnforcer1975, on 13 December 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Risk Sharing is not the same as gambling.  Insurance money is creamed off of the top in ways that's wholly unacceptable but it's not the same as gambling.

In insurance the risk of loss for a group is calculated, the total loss is then divided by the total people in the group and everyone shares the same cost.

Overall, with insurance when you claim, you should be left in a position similar to what you would be in had said insurance not been claimed.

With gambling, only the house is the overall winner.  A group of people put in something of value (usually money) and one or more people will by chance get some of that value back.

So it's easy.  Insurance covers losses. - no one ever wins more than their loss (except insurance scams).

Gambling takes other peoples losses. - overall everyone will take a loss, with a few people making a lot of money and posting their great results in public to make other idiots risk money.

On a side note, you can sometimes insure against gambling :P...

Jigabachi #8 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
It's a limited time offer. I'm not a big fan of those lootboxes, but they can be fun - in moderation.
And when people can't keep their wallets shut, it's their own fault. No sympathy.

jack_timber #9 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40323 battles

Used to have an uncle, long since dead, who was a bookie. One of his "mottos" was comparing where he went on holiday, some far away exotic destination, to where his customers went on holiday, Blackpool if they were lucky.

Funnily enough always remembered this so don't go into bookies in fact wouldn't have a clue as to what to do if I did... 

Remember no one is forcing folks to buy these loot boxes it's everyone's own choice.

WoT_RU_Doing #10 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57849 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

When/if I decide to buy a set of loot boxes, it'll be to get some gold. I know that there's a guaranteed amount of gold in there, plus extra for any tanks I could have got as I already own all the ones on offer. I'm watching the various threads about what people have received, but so far I think that whatever I spend on loot boxes will give me a better deal on gold than buying one of the other packages in the shop. I don't see that as gambling.

KillingJoker #11 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40006 battles

I am sorry its not gambling...

Gambling its when you put your money in something that might be completely lost, like playing in the lottery... 

here you are buying boxes that will return you the money invested in gold and premium days... plus you have the extras of getting other items such as credits, unique camo's and tanks... 

its not gambling, you allways get something worthy out of the money invested,  people shouldn't buy boxes to go after a specific tank, that is stupid, i got 25 boxes not because i wanted a tank, but because i could use the gold to get the KV-5 if they sell it in the calendar, i got lucky of receiving a tier VIII premium in 25 boxes, plus 2 tier V's... but even if i didn't received any tier VIII tank, i would get vallue out of the boxes, as i got 21 days of premium, 8k gold, some million credits, and camo's... oh and now i also have 40% more credits in the game during a month... for a for 40 euros pack... bad? no, its only bad if you have silly expectations... 

Edited by KillingJoker, 14 December 2018 - 10:24 AM.

Simeon85 #12 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1141 battles

I do like that WOT players think they know better than several top courts across multiple countries who have deemed loot boxes not gambling.

And then there is the fact that WOT xmas boxes have a guaranteed minimum value which matches what you would pay for that stuff in store. 

Last time I checked that is not gambling by the dictionary definition either.

So not legally gambling, not technically gambling, but people still whinging about it. 

WoT_RU_Doing #13 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57849 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostSimeon85, on 14 December 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

I do like that WOT players think they know better than several top courts across multiple countries who have deemed loot boxes not gambling.

And then there is the fact that WOT xmas boxes have a guaranteed minimum value which matches what you would pay for that stuff in store.

Last time I checked that is not gambling by the dictionary definition either.

So not legally gambling, not technically gambling, but people still whinging about it.

Actually, I thought they had a guaranteed minimum value that exceeds the store value. They did last year, but have they changed it?

Simeon85 #14 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1141 battles

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 14 December 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

Actually, I thought they had a guaranteed minimum value that exceeds the store value. They did last year, but have they changed it?

Just checking that.

So the minimum you can get is 250 gold + 1 day premium time. For me 3 boxes is £5.12 and 750 gold is £2.80 and 3 days premium is £2.44.

So the total is £5.24, so yes essentially what you pay for the 3 boxes, saves you a slight amount on buying the minimum stuff from the store.

Plus you obviously get the decorations as well. 

Jahpero #15 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

• Senior Moderator
  • 12680 battles
  • [_CDC_] _CDC_
Hello everyone,

I moved this thread to the "Off-Topic" section as it is not gameplay related.

Have a good day ! :izmena:
Jahpero

WhoCares01 #16 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21487 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 14 December 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

It's a limited time offer. I'm not a big fan of those lootboxes, but they can be fun - in moderation.
And when people can't keep their wallets shut, it's their own fault. No sympathy.

View PostKillingJoker, on 14 December 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

I am sorry its not gambling...

Gambling its when you put your money in something that might be completely lost, like playing in the lottery...

here you are buying boxes that will return you the money invested in gold and premium days... plus you have the extras of getting other items such as credits, unique camo's and tanks...

its not gambling, you allways get something worthy out of the money invested,  people shouldn't buy boxes to go after a specific tank, that is stupid, i got 25 boxes not because i wanted a tank, but because i could use the gold to get the KV-5 if they sell it in the calendar, i got lucky of receiving a tier VIII premium in 25 boxes, plus 2 tier V's... but even if i didn't received any tier VIII tank, i would get vallue out of the boxes, as i got 21 days of premium, 8k gold, some million credits, and camo's... oh and now i also have 40% more credits in the game during a month... for a for 40 euros pack... bad? no, its only bad if you have silly expectations...

See, and that's the problem. There are people out there that are susceptible to gambling, some kids but also some adults, and I am actually not talking about truly addicted people. With these loot boxes they get exposed to such "allures" in an unexpected and virtually uncontrolled environment. Some countries have fairly strict control over such activities, others are more relaxed. The WoT loot boxes are in a grey zone; yeah, technically you may get the value of your investment in the form of in-game gold and other virtual goods. But for many there is definately the gambling element to get specific goods/tanks - just because it is "stupid" doesn't mean, that some people will not fall for it anyway, even knowingly... It's a cheap stab at some weak minds wallets...

Ceeb #17 Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 32587 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostJahpero, on 14 December 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I moved this thread to the "Off-Topic" section as it is not gameplay related.

Have a good day ! :izmena:
Jahpero

You mean bury it

cu_chulainn_ #18 Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47630 battles
Firstly it's not gambling in the traditional sense like throwing a fiver on the horses or team, but it's a new more sinister way of extracting money from people, bring out a great new tank borderline op and then tell them it can only be got in a magic box that can cost anywhere from a fiver to 300 euro to get depending on chance.
Now here is my problem, you have community contributors saying they are bad but still making videos opening them, if they were genuine in their concern they would have refused the gift and made it clear that they would boycott these boxes on principle.
Whether you consider it gambling or not is irrelevant as those emptying their wallets are gambling on getting an is3 and some will spend way beyond their means at an expensive time of year anyway. Yes wg is a business but that shouldn't exculde them from having morals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users