2018: A Look Back

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:00 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Let's close this year with a final review.

The full text of the news item

Sfinski #2 Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:31 AM

Major

• Player
  • 33376 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

POPULAR

Yup, a lot failures the past year and nothing done to the real problems. Hope WG watches back at 2018 as things not to do and actually focus on things that matter in the 2019. MM, arty and OP/UP tanks. Those should be the priority.

aap_Spain #3 Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:36 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2738 battles
  • [OLD1] OLD1

It's a good and a productive year a lot was going on.

I wish WG all the best in 2019, let's make this game even better next year, more freebies, better balance and happy customers!

Hope all goes well!

:)

Schemezoid #4 Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:49 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22086 battles
All those patches were trash. Tectures are still fucked, released nothing but op rashiaaaa tanks, Halloween mode was trash, rereleased is3a is trash. The only decent thing this year was Frontline. Shape up or watch this game die

Anymn #5 Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19259 battles
  • [RHPA] RHPA

Nice list Wargaming, but you are only showing only 1 side of what you did this year:

- sold the defender

- created the IS-3A

- power creeped al lot of tier 8,9,10 heavies by the new Russian lines

- didn't react quickly enough to gold spam

- made maps more and more corridor-like, instead of having fun and engaging maps

- speeded up all the heavy tanks, which makes flanking impossible

Things you didn't do this year:

- bring back old maps like port, pearl river, south coast, north west.

However, to some extend I've to give wargaming credits:

- it's still far better than 10.0 Rubicon :izmena:

Edited by Anymn, 20 December 2018 - 12:05 PM.

Sturmi_0545 #6 Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 41841 battles
  • [SNOB] SNOB

yes, 2018 was so awesome, I had to uninstall the game for a week to recover from WG's "success".

the greatest thing that has been done in 2018 is the damage to the gameplay and long term playability. Hopefully, this was the lowpoint it can only go back up from (even though that wouldn't be very russian. WG decided to divebomb this machine into the ground vertically already - only question is, how deep they can go underground with their quality until people stop paying).

KL_loves_arty #7 Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:23 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 250 battles

2018: A Look Back

The year when players are leaving WOT, numbers are just going down all the time.

The year when WG is digging an even deeper hole for WOT.

The year when nothing of the major and fundamental problems were NOT fixed.

The year when WG kept on adding more, and more, and more, and then even some more "op" prem tanks, or otherwise just kept on spamming us to buy prem tanks in 4 out of 5 "news".

The year when WG came up with even more and completely new ways of milking out the last of a dying game.

Yeah, this was a great year for WOT...:facepalm:

Oh, damn, I forgot, we got the MKA and T-50-2....all fine, no problems, crowd is going wild. :sceptic:

Edited by KL_loves_arty, 20 December 2018 - 07:27 AM.

wsatnutter #8 Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:24 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 25821 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
Not the best of years tbh 

InuDeDe #9 Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:32 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11440 battles
  • [S-GUN] S-GUN
Hello it was a nice year alot of changes some good some not so good but hope we go on good path on 2019 ... clan wars is mising from this news . looking forward for old maps and blacklisted maps. :P

ToodlePips #10 Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 60274 battles
There are some nice points on the list - especially the great graphics update - but seriously, I only need to read as far as the first item - 9.22 - and I've already had it. As far as I'm concerned, that was one of the worst fails I've seen in this game, and I've been around for a while.

Seriously, these last few days I've played a lot of Tier VIII, trying to use the X-mas bonus to grind some credits with my good old premium tanks, and I caught myself thinking again and again just what a huge pile of crap this game has become. You guys have really worked hard to take every last iota of fun out of your game. Yep, that's definitely something to be proud of.

At least you've got some interesting plans for 2019. I can't say I'm overly optimistic, but it's too early to tell. All I can say is that as far as I'm concerned, that will pretty much be a last chance thing.

Edited by ToodlePips, 20 December 2018 - 10:29 AM.

Kerr17 #11 Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 12806 battles
  • [OWW] OWW
For me it's really terrible that you just close referral program without letting to finish it. And a lot of mentioned things above... 

anonym_ZxkC3EBNBO8l #12 Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 0 battles
*edited*  

Edited by Jahpero, 20 December 2018 - 10:37 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to an inappropriate remark.

snuble #13 Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 34296 battles

New graphics is ok, but I doubt it gave much of a boost to WOT.

Italian tech tree have to be the highlight of the year.

Polish tech tree .... if grinded from Tier 1 without freexp modules, it would be a pain and not for new players. This tech tree was a fail from T1 -> T8 stock, then T8 was good, dont know if it was just the relief of getting out of terrible tanks or if that tank was actually good.

And I also feel the map quality have gone down over the last 2 years. Maps like Erlenberg and Empires border have so unmusical gameplay, everything seems off balance.

For me it was the year I finally got all tanks. And cut my wot time a lot. Not because of "end of grind", but because of Matchmaking meta. Play T10 and its Prem-HE from here to the moon, 99% seem to face games with only T10 and against at least 6 arty/Type5/FV-derps. T6-8 and you get OP arty (they hit way to hard on lower tiers) and +2 mm. 

I look forward to the swedish meds. Those might be a fun experience. Wheeled vehicles not so sure, I have a feeling they might be frustrating to play. Low viewrange is not my playstyle, and the active scouting is a bit too rng for me personally.

Chrubac #14 Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:14 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 37038 battles

So the last real game play improvement was 9.16 (Oct 5th 2016), when the server side spotting mechanic were optimized.

Well done WG! Give yourself a pat on the back and go out celebrating. Your employees will appreciate it since this will likely be your last good financial quarter. There is gonna be some hard times ahead for you guys with downsizing and work effectivization to come.

Edited by Chrubac, 20 December 2018 - 08:37 AM.

HadurHun #15 Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 69152 battles
  • [HADUR] HADUR
a look back on how you destroyed mm!

Gardar7 #16 Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 23464 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
This year was a catastrophe for WG and they should know it well. This is why they came up with those plans for 2019 just before even more players leave. Those plans look promising, hopefully they will implement at least half of that. Frontlines, new/better maps, complete rebalance, MM changes, new branches. (And my secret wish, a new nation - Hungarian tech tree.) 

Cobra6 #17 Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16418 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Well, 2018 was the year of:

Bad: 

- "Wet Soapstone" physics introduced in the 1.0 update making tanks slide all over the place and spaz out on rocks.

- Ever more power creep premium-tanks.

- Making premium ammo more and more compulsive with bad armor balancing.

- Some nice new lines with *some* balanced tanks in them.

- Utterly destroyed Matchmaking for anything that isn't Tier 10 and thus always top-tier.

- *STILL* actively punishing platoons by giving them harsher matchmaking for no good reason (since number of platoons is mirrored now).

- Further removal of viable frontal weakspots from heavy armor which in corridor maps makes it impossible to properly engage.

- Removal of many good spotting bushes/locations for light tanks.

- OBJ268V4 "Mistake" which most good players saw coming for miles but WG conveniently missed.

Good:

- At least the Type62 and AMX 13 57 were sold, one positive.

- Some new fancy graphics.

- New sound engine?

- Better community team engagement on the forums.

- FINALLY "old-hands" got some for of reward for years of support and helping start this game when it most needed it.

- Some ancient underpowered premiums were finally buffed to a more competitive level.

All in all I'd say in the critical/important areas things were either not addressed or blatantly made worse this year which is something that WoT really can't use in a time where it's starting to bleed more and more players.

Get on the ball WG and make sure in 2019 you address the actual problems that are causing people to leave and have been problems sometimes for years.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 20 December 2018 - 08:59 AM.

Dazhbog #18 Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

Private

• Player
  • 34123 battles
  • [NED-1] NED-1

Better not look back, except for the graphics.

Better look at the future.

WG, first earn back your credebilety (to many not kept prommises).

With the loss of your credebilety you lost your integrity. 

This time do as you prommised for 2019 and take in account Quickybaby's advises:

https://www.youtube....8AMcGpa9f5yydqF

The biggest problem still is the difference in paradigm, the difference in perspective on what is good, between Russia and West Europe.

Where the Americans say: Bigger is better

Russians say: More is better

West Europe says: Balance

WG cant help it that they are killing the game in the eyes of the Western Europeans.

And WG does not understand why Western Europeans are moaning and whining all the time.

My advise for the future:

Detach the Russian servers from the Western European servers and leave the Western European servers to the Western Europeans.

So the Western Europeans can make WoT great to the Western European likings 

(like WG did with a Far East server where they like fantasy Tanks).

Regards and welcome to the future.

SM1AK #19 Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17393 battles
  • [SLOEX] SLOEX

A look back on how you nearly destroyed a great game! you really did nothing to fix the issues players had and still have with this game, you only made it worse!

in 2018 you were

introducing OP premium tanks that are better than their counterpart in the tech tree

OP russian tanks that you "nerfed" after a tooo long time and they're still to OP (Obj 268 4)

made the battles a shitty corridor gameplay with every new map being worse and worse

didn't fix the game breaking sickening template MM!!!

tried to milk every cent from your players with nearly 80% of the news on your site be about premium tanks or stuff to buy

did't fix the gold ammo spam

didn't fix that 90% games one is bottom tier

removed tanks weak spots so you can't pen them with normal ammo

BUT you introduced a new graphic engine... but you can put makeup on crap, but in the end it's still crap!

the only thing that kept me to not quit the game are the friends that I made and have fun of hanging on TS with them and playing SH, advances or CW with them. the randoms are just to crap in the current state of the game     

SirGruut #20 Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22332 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

Block Quote

• The Object 257 was introduced, taking the place of the IS-8

The 257 actually replaced the T-10. The is-8 has been replaced for a very long time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users