STA-1 S-51 bug

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Grayerr #1 Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:23 AM

Private

• Player
  • 15217 battles

Hello,

I shot one bullet trough an STA-1, i dont found bug report topic so i wrote here. I wanted to attach here the replay too but isnt allowed, but you see from the screen shots. No mods, arty gameplay, 16Gb ram, i7 7700k, GTX1080.

Attached Files

• Attached File   shot_001.jpg   1.93MB
  • Attached File   shot_002.jpg   1.87MB
  • Attached File   shot_003.jpg   1.92MB
  • Attached File   shot_005.jpg   1.98MB
  • Attached File   shot_006.jpg   1.91MB

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:28 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33810 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Lag. Welcome to the internet.

NekoPuffer_PPP #3 Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:29 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 33774 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

A Soviet tank, an artillery, fired a ghost shell?

The world must be coming to an end, surely. This is unthinkable!

Dorander #4 Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:41 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 21025 battles
You can use wotreplays.eu to upload the replay and post a link here, should be fine. That way people can download the replay to try to determine what happened there. While it does look weird on the screenshot, the apparent passing through of the shell trajectory isn't the only thing that looks weird, if that was your shot the impact angle is also completely off. While you do not appear to be facing your camera directly north if I look at the relative positions of the STA, the allied O-Ni and the enemy O-Ni and compare it to the minimap locations, that shot does not appear to originate from you, it appears to originate from the Lorraine.

Grayerr #5 Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15217 battles
http://wotreplays.eu...ff-grayerr-s-51

Steel_Patriot #6 Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 43604 battles
  • [_DOG] _DOG
Unfortunately i see that all the time playing WOT  here in  Ireland , i  personally blame Leprechauns.

Dorander #7 Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:30 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 21025 battles

Alright, thanks for the replay, better able to get a look at what happened and your shot does appear to pass through the STA. It could be a ghostshell as you do twitch your aim a bit, but you also hold your shot for half a sec which should've been enough for the server to catch up. My best guess is that this is a side-effect because of how the game simulates firing arcs and the lower ground right behind your target.

What I suspect happened is that the game did your hit calculation properly server-side and decided that your shot landed behind the STA, it then informs the client of the result of your shot. Your client then draws the shell trajectory locally. You overshot the STA so you missed, but the shell itself lands on lower ground so the height of the displayed trajectory is lower and makes your shot appear to go through the STA.

It's only a best guess though, we don't really have good information on how the shell trajectories are calculated. As far as I know all we know is that we aim in a straight line (or in artillery case in top-down view) and the game decides what the actual flight path to be displayed is. I'm honestly not even sure that the firing arc that gets simulated even affects impact angle but I'm pretty sure it doesn't let you hit locations that you can't aim at which suggests that the firing arc is a display simulation and not related to actual aiming. However perhaps someone more experienced with this mechanic than I can make a more certain statement about this.

nikolaink123 #8 Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:26 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23894 battles
  • [KLKMP] KLKMP

View PostSteel_Patriot, on 25 December 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

Unfortunately i see that all the time playing WOT  here in  Ireland , i  personally blame Leprechauns.

That is very understandable. Thoes little f*ckers!

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 8926 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Looks like justice to me for trying to bully one of the worst tier 8 mediums in the game.

Dava_117 #10 Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22277 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDorander, on 26 December 2018 - 12:30 AM, said:

Alright, thanks for the replay, better able to get a look at what happened and your shot does appear to pass through the STA. It could be a ghostshell as you do twitch your aim a bit, but you also hold your shot for half a sec which should've been enough for the server to catch up. My best guess is that this is a side-effect because of how the game simulates firing arcs and the lower ground right behind your target.

What I suspect happened is that the game did your hit calculation properly server-side and decided that your shot landed behind the STA, it then informs the client of the result of your shot. Your client then draws the shell trajectory locally. You overshot the STA so you missed, but the shell itself lands on lower ground so the height of the displayed trajectory is lower and makes your shot appear to go through the STA.

It's only a best guess though, we don't really have good information on how the shell trajectories are calculated. As far as I know all we know is that we aim in a straight line (or in artillery case in top-down view) and the game decides what the actual flight path to be displayed is. I'm honestly not even sure that the firing arc that gets simulated even affects impact angle but I'm pretty sure it doesn't let you hit locations that you can't aim at which suggests that the firing arc is a display simulation and not related to actual aiming. However perhaps someone more experienced with this mechanic than I can make a more certain statement about this.

Artillery shell trajectory are really strange in this game. Don't know if you noticed it, but if you take the aim to the limit distance (SturmPz2 has ~500m so can be easily seen) the aim circle degenerate into a segment! And if you fire your shell will really land on that segment!

Would really like to see the algorythm that calculate the trajectory: it must be quite strange! :D

Edited by Dava_117, 26 December 2018 - 01:04 PM.

Balc0ra #11 Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72037 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostGrayerr, on 25 December 2018 - 12:23 AM, said:

Hello,

I shot one bullet trough an STA-1, i dont found bug report topic so i wrote here. I wanted to attach here the replay too but isnt allowed, but you see from the screen shots. No mods, arty gameplay, 16Gb ram, i7 7700k, GTX1080.

Don't matter what specs you have. The game is a server-side run game. So your tracer is only a representation of what the server says the shell did. It's never 100% correct vs the server, and it always trails behind. Thus why you see tanks blow up before you hit them. At times it could trail further behind due to other issues between you and the server, or show a wrong path. Even when the ping is fine and the light is green. More commonly seen when the target is moving, and your shell clips the front end of a tank. But on the server, the shell went past it already at the front of the tank. Thus no damage or impact is shown. 

Here the target was already stationary. So I suspect the arch shown did differ vs the server. Who knows. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users