I need advice on how to become better with the Ikv 65 Alternativ II.

Ikv 65 Ikv 65 Alt II Ikv 65 II Ikv 65/2 advice become better TD Swedish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Nordstroem #1 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3390 battles
  • [SV3] SV3

My experience with this tank is that it has a lot of downsides with hardly any good points to make up for them.

• It is tall and boxy -making it easy to hit- and it doesn't have enough gun depression to make up for it.
  • It has a very long reload time of over 9 seconds and not enough firepower to make up for it.
  • It has neither good armour nor a decent pool of HP, and while it supposedly has very good camouflage I have not really noticed that since it's hard to hide it.
  • It has great speed letting it even overtake many mediums, but absolutely abysmal traverse.

In other words, it's exactly the opposite of what you'd want from a turretless TD. Turretless TDs are absolutely dependent on high traverse and quick firing rates to survive a fight, but it doesn't really have any need for speed. The more than 9 seconds of reload time (my loader is currently at 115%) means that any target you want to shoot at will be long gone by the time you're ready to fire a second shot. Due to the long reload and slow traverse this is absolutely a tank I want to snipe from a distance with, but the gun has neither amazing penetration nor accuracy, so bouncing or missing entirely is quite likely. If you do hit you're often just chipping away tiny bits of the enemy's HP so you need to land several hits, but you have to wait over 9 seconds between each shot! The traverse is so bad that it's a detriment even at long range, because you can't get into cover easily if you get spotted. The gun depression, which many Swedish tanks pride themselves on, is not enough to protect its boxy hull behind a ridge either and the armour hardly ever bounces anything even when fighting at maximum gun depression..

So what am I doing wrong? Should I not snipe from a distance? It does have speed, but I don't see how it can fight at closer ranges with such a terrible traverse speed and reload time.

Tier 6 is the most important tier for me. I have more fun in the mid-tiers than in the higher tiers and tier 6 is the most likely tier for me to play if I get into Stronghold again. Also, I'm Swedish so I would very much like to play Swedish tanks more and I'm very TD focused. It's quite unfortunate that all my interests align upon such a difficult tank to play, so that's why I'm asking for help on getting better with it.

Darky1029 #2 Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 14078 battles

I would say that the gun is perfect for the tier, it has good accuracy and aslong as you have 100% crew, use binos and stay out of spotting range, this tank is a monster. The mobility is there to run away and reposition to a better vantage point, rather than rushing in and dying. You have to realize you are essentially a glass box, a very sneaky glass box so play like a sniper, and the dmg will slowly but surely stack up.

Get camo on the crew and be patient.

Make that minimap big as hell and pay close attention to the magical 400m range where you will highly likely never get spotted even while firing. Use double bushes(reverse away from the bush so its not transparent before firing). Wouldnt recommend going past the meeting point of flanks(where the teams usually collide)

Edited by Darky1029, 25 December 2018 - 04:54 PM.

AzoreanOutkast #3 Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10164 battles

Takes time to get crew skills up to a level that it makes the TD better ingame.

U need camo trained, u also need sixth sense off course, u can train the perks to improve mobility and gun handling.

But u need to look at your equipment also:

Camo net, binos and either vents or gun rammer

Its one of those TDs u need to really know the layout of the maps and to correctly read the minimap to be efficient with it.

U need to move as little as possible, but relocate often if need be, and pick the right spots for the situation to have any impact ingame.

It will never be a true TD as ppl are acostumed to seing in other nations and the one that comes after it is even worst, it only improves when u get to the UDES... But for its tier its not a bad one.

ZeroKelvin #4 Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 35463 battles

Sniping yes, but no need to waste slots on camo or binos as you need the vents+rammer+gld to compensate for the poor stats

it is an insta-sell once you get ace

Edited by ZeroKelvin, 26 December 2018 - 09:02 PM.

SuedKAT #5 Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Hated mine with a passion, the DPM/RoF and the trollish gun really killed it, I literally see no reason playing it when I already got the Jg.Pz IV, Hellcat and Jackson in the garage which are better than the IKV in every regard that matters to me.

Nordstroem #6 Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:23 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3390 battles
  • [SV3] SV3

If I can help it I never play TD without camo and binos. Something that made a huge different in this tank though was switching out the vents for the gun rammer. It made a significant difference (albeit less than one second). My driver also finally got a skill so I had him train clutch breaking to counter the terrible traverse speed. Two of my crew members were already training camouflage.

I had a good battle today where I cautiously held held down a flank with the help of some allied mediums and then became aggressive when the enemy was severely weakened. Sadly, I was mistaken in thinking that I had set the game to save the latest replay, but here's the result screen: https://i.imgur.com/jVQJFQi.jpg (I took the whole screen so that you can see the crew skills)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users