Artillery got nerfed and nobody noticed - with explanation

arty nerf spg nerfed

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

nuFF3 #61 Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5394 battles
Its still like this, are they even going to address this at all???

Sfinski #62 Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

Major

• Player
  • 33376 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostnuFF3, on 30 January 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Its still like this, are they even going to address this at all???

Hope not.

Element6 #63 Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30513 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I haven't played SPGs in a while, but was wondering about something...

If you use top-down aim on Pilsen, for example, and aim as close to the building as possible without the aim jumping to the roof, and then fire and get an accuracy RNG roll that lands the shell forward of the aiming point, does it still land on the roof or will it go in beneath the roof and potentially hit the tank under it? Like this the bloom would cover an area inside the building but the aiming point would still be outside on the ground. If this is not possible it seems the issue is with shell arc, but if possible the issue is purely with the aiming mechanic.

WoT_RU_Doing #64 Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51166 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostElement6, on 30 January 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

I haven't played SPGs in a while, but was wondering about something...

If you use top-down aim on Pilsen, for example, and aim as close to the building as possible without the aim jumping to the roof, and then fire and get an accuracy RNG roll that lands the shell forward of the aiming point, does it still land on the roof or will it go in beneath the roof and potentially hit the tank under it? Like this the bloom would cover an area inside the building but the aiming point would still be outside on the ground. If this is not possible it seems the issue is with shell arc, but if possible the issue is purely with the aiming mechanic.

The issue is definitely with the aiming mechanic, and yes, it is possible. Some players have also noted that using the old "Battle assistant" mod still allows correct aiming, but I can't be bothered to install mods these days.

HunAnon #65 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10995 battles
This need to be fixed asap, arty is already too weak, now not being able to shoot under things is game ruining (and unrealistic), and unfair to teammates.

Sfinski #66 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:36 PM

Major

• Player
  • 33376 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostHunAnon, on 31 January 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

This need to be fixed asap, arty is already too weak, now not being able to shoot under things is game ruining (and unrealistic), and unfair to teammates.

How is arty weak?

Rod_75 #67 Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:04 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26585 battles
  • [ORKII] ORKII

Just press G and use the standard view.

Rod

TankkiPoju #68 Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21603 battles

View PostHunAnon, on 31 January 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

WoT has unrealistic elements? Well I never!

No one cares about clickers, dude. Not even Wargaming, arty is in the game only because one handed speshul people want to play and get milked too.

06:03 Added after 1 minute

View PostSfinski, on 31 January 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

How is arty weak?

Come one man, surely it is good for the game a vehicle class that doesnt even have to leave spawn can one shot enemy tanks across obstacles.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 01 February 2019 - 07:04 AM.

Snpr_Rostik #69 Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16255 battles

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 27 December 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

Hi,

I know there is an spg topic, but that topic is a minefield and stuff like this easily gets lost, so here is some useful info for all players (normal tank players and arty players).

The way artillery got nerfed (last patch I reckon) is that it cannot hit targets under obstacles anymore. With 'G mode' (the alternative arty aiming mode) it was possible to hit targets under bridges, buildings or landscaping obstacles like zappelins. For instance the hull-down positions in the railway station on Himmelsdorf, the zappelin on Redshire, the bridges on Westfield and the spans/air craft carrier on Glacier. Even on maps without bridges and such it has effect, since arty also cannot hit (more precise: it cannot aim there anymore, it twitches over it) vertical walls anymore. On city maps like Ensk, Minsk this has an effect since arty could aim at walls above or behind tanks, splashing them. That won't be possible anymore, since both arty view modes will aim at the roof tops instead. Aiming at walls was also possible on the south east road on the Glacier map, with the current patch you are more arty safe over there. Pretty much the only way arty can still hit you under obstacles is when they use the 3rd person view which only works on short distances.

Did you notice the difference as an arty player, or did you notice being more arty safe on certain positions? I haven't really noticed yet in my normal tanks, but knowing this, i can make better decisions on where/how to position I think.

I definitely have noticed and it really sucks! It seems to me more like a bug than a nerf...

WG, please, do something with this, as it is completely stupid feature...

G46 #70 Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 798 battles

Have only been playing SPG for a few weeks so have no idea what this is about (and pressing the 'G' key does nothing in any view) - anything that detracts from current 'Arty' specialities is wholly negative.

As most game maps have split topography that you cannot fire over one 'Arty' piece is not enough - two would allow cover of the usual two choke points either side of the topography that you can't fire over. 

Quick observations: 

'Arty' in built up areas is pretty well neutralised due to line of sight issues - I usually just go afk when Himmelsdorf turns up.

'Arty' in outside areas is pretty well neutralised due to 'Tetrach', Luchs, Pzk etc arriving in the undefended base area within seconds of the game opening and killing the 'Arty'.

'Arty' haters clearly do not understand that 'Arty' can help - I've seen too many lost opportunities where I've been knocked out (for lack of cover) while tank groups are gridlocked - a few carefully placed shots could help free up the forward advance - but as Random isn't a team game it doesn't really matter.   

HunAnon #71 Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:36 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10995 battles

View PostSfinski, on 31 January 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

How is arty weak?

Nearly defenseless if left alone in endgame, slow, cannot zoom like tanks or tds, long reload time, long aim time, low damage against heavys with spall liners, limited line of fire (map obstacles). Most of these weakness come from nature of arty, and I can live with these, playing arty is one of my favorite thing to do, but don't take away shooting things without obstacles between me and target. Had trouble because of this "bug" on Pilsen (under factories), Redshire (under zeppelin), Glacier (under cliff) and even a game changer at El Halluf (under cliff "ark" ).

Edited by HunAnon, 03 February 2019 - 12:37 AM.

psychobear #72 Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19249 battles
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN

View PostHunAnon, on 31 January 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

:teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy:

Arty is bullsh* t and has nothing to do with this game. Is it weak? Really? A broken mechanic that is basically a legal cheat (no risk at all - all reward) can be called weak? Just f*cking LOL :teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy: 

RockyRoller #73 Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34958 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS
having seen it now, it must be a bug because if it isn't then it ranks as one of the most stupid nerf in PC history.

Capus #74 Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38741 battles
OP; how is this a topic if nobody noticed?

Edited by Capus, 03 February 2019 - 12:42 PM.

Discontinued #75 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3644 battles

View Postpsychobear, on 03 February 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

Arty is bullsh* t and has nothing to do with this game. Is it weak? Really? A broken mechanic that is basically a legal cheat (no risk at all - all reward) can be called weak? Just f*cking LOL :teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy: 

lol im off to play arty all day now that was all the encouragement i needed

HunAnon #76 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 10995 battles

View Postpsychobear, on 03 February 2019 - 01:56 AM, said:

Plenty of risks, you can be counter artied after your first shot, if opponent arty goes for that, and there are not that many arty spots, from where you could properly support your team. Also highly team dependant, useless if noone spots for it, nearly defenseless if left alone, not only because of harder handling, but because extremely low view range. True that it can be highly rewarding, but far from risk free.

psychobear #77 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19249 battles
  • [7EVEN] 7EVEN

View PostHunAnon, on 03 February 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Plenty of risks, you can be counter artied after your first shot, if opponent arty goes for that, and there are not that many arty spots, from where you could properly support your team. Also highly team dependant, useless if noone spots for it, nearly defenseless if left alone, not only because of harder handling, but because extremely low view range. True that it can be highly rewarding, but far from risk free.

Yes, in theory counterbattery fire should work as a counter for arty. Not so much in practice tho, as very few are actually trying it and with marginal rate of success. So that could hardly qualify as a risk. That aside, everything else that you've mentioned is no risk at all (there not being many efficient arty spots and so on). That is the problem with arty - you have the indirect fire ability coupled with no real counter at all, a combination which is the very definition of gamebreaking. If WG won't remove it from the game, they should at least cap the arty numbers to one per team. One, not more. It would still be broken, but at least the game would be playable that way.

kisli #78 Posted 03 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 35615 battles

In comparison, arty is risk free.

You risk CB because you're too lazy to move after firing.

You risk being left alone because you're not paying attention. 

nuFF3 #79 Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5394 battles

View Postkisli, on 03 February 2019 - 03:42 PM, said:

In comparison, arty is risk free.

You risk CB because you're too lazy to move after firing.

You risk being left alone because you're not paying attention. 

"arty is risk free"

proceeds to list two risks.

Good job?

nuFF3 #80 Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5394 battles
It got fixed in the latest patch (1.4)

Also tagged with arty, nerf, spg, nerfed

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users