2019 SPG "rebalance"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

CeeDee_2 #1 Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15172 battles
  • [S300E] S300E

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else, but I just read the following here:

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2018/12/27/wg-fest-2018-info/#more-68196

Block Quote

This is a collection of info from the WG Fest 2018 dev Q&A.

[...]

– A Type 5 Heavy and SPG rebalance is planned.

I assume that to mean that the Type 5 Heavy and SPG's will both be nerfed. While I have no problems with Japanese heavies being nerfed, I am a bit concerned what might be planned for SPG's.

OK, SPG haters will come in now and say what they will say.

As for the rest of us who do appreciate SPG's, any thoughts/rumors on what WG might have in mind?

Regards, C.

Darth_Clicker #2 Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 55776 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

Thanks for pointing out this news.  I did a quick search here on my GoogleMachine and didn't find any specific information on the Russian sites (via Google Translate of course).  

I hope that they bring back AP ammo in some form.  I personally would like to have the option to do damage to only one tank at a time instead of stunning all tanks not only on my map, but also stunning Ms. PacMan in the game the old dude across the street is playing....I am tired of him ringing my bell and bitchin.....

I did see that the Obj 261 would NOT have its ammo capacity increased...I think it really needs it.  So, maybe they will increase reload time on it.

I can imagine that the M44 will get a nerf of some sort.

Hopefully the French line, especially tier 7-10 will get a pen buff.

Maybe we will get some new and spg specific skills.

Hopefully they will put Karl SPG into the game permanently at all tiers...because as everyone knows, Karl was the greatest spg ever in the game...:trollface:

Having squeezed out the above load of BS, I actually won't believe that anything will happen until it has already happened.  WG has really become the "boy who cried wolf" in my opinion.  It seems like their have been more broken promises than kept ones.....

Miepie #3 Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:38 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2131 battles
  • [KEL-O] KEL-O
Could also have been a reference to the matchmaking overhaul, as a possible hint that they will look at the maximum number of SPGs per battle?

Laatikkomafia #4 Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:38 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 22473 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
"OK, SPG haters will come in now and say what they will say.

As for the rest of us who do appreciate SPG's, any thoughts/rumors on what WG might have in mind?"

Typical arta player mindset. "If someone doesn't agree with us, they don't exist."

But the fact remains: Arty is an issue. The class requires next to no skill, it is RNG-based, it has no counterplay outside camping and it lacks interaction. You need to accept the reality, how the class either needs a complete rework, even more nerfs or complete removal. Pick which you want, as arty will and should not remain as it is.

Darth_Clicker #5 Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 55776 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 31 December 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

Typical arta player mindset. "If someone doesn't agree with us, they don't exist."

But the fact remains: Arty is an issue. The class requires next to no skill, it is RNG-based, it has no counterplay outside camping and it lacks interaction. You need to accept the reality, how the class either needs a complete rework, even more nerfs or complete removal. Pick which you want, as arty will and should not remain as it is.

the "skills" required in this video game are not something that I define life by or deem to be important enough to be used in judging other people.  The entire game is RNG based.  Arty is interactive because I communicate with my team via chat as well as the map.  My teammates communicate back to me in the same way...we interact.  Arty has counter play...unless you think I got this Honorary Rank 124 times as a gift from WG

Posted Image

Now...do you have any constructive thoughts to add in an answer to the OP or are you just going to troll?

dogs_2018 #6 Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:17 AM

Private

• Player
  • 3239 battles
  • [RTRUK] RTRUK

just started playing arty and i must disagree with the idea of no skill.  Different skill for sure.  like all tanks the firing includes aiming with anticipation of movement for the target.  This can be several seconds so is no easy hit.  Showing where you aim and time remaining gives more detail to allies then anything i have ever got in a "tank."  

The biggest issue for me is the tagets being stunned.  it seems overkill to me.  Yes splash damage but to completely stop a tank working is over the top.   

Gremlin182 #7 Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

General

• Player
  • 50845 battles

Drastic changes are needed when it comes to SPGs and I say that from the point of view of an occasional SPG player.

Don't especially like playing them its too passive and reliant on the team.

I play them to get the personal missions out of the way, to that end I am moving to ever higher tiers in SPGs which are even more awful to play.

Just got to the tier 8 German SPG the GW Tiger P, first question why is that monstrosity in a tactical 15 vs 15 game.

Its just too big slow and vulnerable, but you have to grind them because of the mission requirements even though playing an M44 or GW Panther is a lot more tolerable.

Its much like the Premium tank problem once you sell a tank for money it makes it a bit of a nightmare trying to balance it.

With SPGs even if you want to make changes doing much more than tweaking the stats is about it and that pleases no one really.

If we started from scratch I would have gone in a different direction that true SPGs.

Tanks and TDs with low velocity howitzers that could fire over short to medium range that used all the standard aiming systems other tanks use would do much what an SPG does but from closer in.

Such vehicles would have limited indirect fire capability while also being able to defend themselves in direct fire engagements.

Enemy tanks could spot and engage them instead of having to cross the entire map which leads to games where the last tanks surviving are often the SPGs who then give up because there isn't anything effective they can do.

But given there are 50+ SPGs in the game what can you actually do.

Removal isn't an easy option unless what you replace them with works better and is accepted by the players.

I suspect another few years of tweaking is the best we will get.

Somnorila #8 Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 56601 battles
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU

I find arty to be the best way to vent when still playing WoT. The whole game has too much random in it that at least with arty i don't get too invested in the match to care that much when i lose.

And to whomever says that it requires no skill then i would like to point that playing with arty players that know the game and arty players that are totally noobs, it's very obvious and you know it. Even if the arty player is dependent on his team, his ability to support is more visible. Either through better target selection, finding better lines of fire and lobbing more shells or just through taking out enemy arties out or spamming known sniper nests, i'd say is undeniable obvious when i have a good arty player supporting or a bad one.

I think that arty needs buffs in reload, accuracy, aim time and damage. But also think that arties should be integrated in the team in such a way that allies actively observe their impact. I proposed a rework for spotting system where enemies are shown to allied arties based on certain rules according to spotter class. To "paint" targets automatically, like now. Semi-auto, what is in allied gun cone. Or completely manually using "T" key.

I believe something like this would support team communication and permit arty players to give help all over the map when others need because of their fast firing, fast aiming guns that deal damage. Arty firepower should be like 3-4 tanks in one, turning one lone allied in to very well defender or attacker because of his big brother at the back.

CeeDee_2 #9 Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15172 battles
  • [S300E] S300E

I was watching one of Quickybaby's video's last night about the new wheeled light tanks. He brought up a point with respect to these vehicles that I hadn't considered yet: top tier wheeled light's zooming at top speed to the rear of the enemy side, killing the artillery and glass cannon TD's and making a clean get away using their speed and maneuverability. While he was discussing this he was showing the field in Malinovka with the tier 10 wheeled light zooming around unscathed.

I understand that with the 2nd iteration of 1.4 on the common test server the top speed of the tier 10 wheeled light has been reduced from 105 to 95 km/h but still. Remember "tracking" one of these doesn't stop it cold in its tracks but merely slows it down.

Imagine being in artillery or a Grille 15 or something like that and seeing the tier 10 wheeled light coming at you at 95 km/h. Being artillery you're blind as a bat of course. You're toast. And too slow to escape, with perhaps the exception of French artillery.

Perhaps this is the rebalance WG had in mind?

Regards, C.

CeeDee_2 #10 Posted Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15172 battles
  • [S300E] S300E

The other day I was playing several games on the common test server in the Lorraine 155 55 (it is the next one in line for me and I wanted to give it a test drive).

And yes, there were a few games during which the new French wheeled lights zoomed through the front line to the artillery and TD's and emptied their clips.

Regards, C.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users