Do autoloaders have a free pass to camp?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

TurnedToDust #1 Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:36 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9802 battles
  • [JUICE] JUICE

I have been playing some paper snipers like the Leopard 1 and oh boy is it painfull, but that's another story.

My question to you guys is, I get a lot flak for not leading the charge, not spotting, not brawling heavies and to make a long story short not making live easy for others as I put myself in a support roll.

I have been team damaged, pushed of cliff's and called all sorts on chat.

One thing erks me a bit, I never see autloaders get that treatment for doing the same thing.

Never played an autoloader so I'm ignorant to how they play etc, but most of the games my eyes are on the minimap and I have gotten the assumption autoloaders are exempt from doing harm that way?

Do you guys have a different point of view on this?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 68047 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I get grief in some of my clip guns. Like with the 50 100. It's a HT. But most meds are more armored than it. But with a 50 sec reload. Your downtime is rather large to do bad trades or your "role" to tank a Type 4. Same with the med BC. I reload, press F8 to let the others know, they yolo and die and rage at me for not helping... with an empty gun when I told them I was out for the next 40 seconds. So there you get that flak. But most times when you press F8. Most know it and cover for you. And you don't get flak for sitting at the back. As you can't do anything anyway.  

I know the Leo is a 2nd line support med. But in a 3-5-7 game most get upset when you as the top tier sit 300m behind the tier 8 meds that are fighting the 430U. Now no one told them to do that. Or push that far alone. Nor would I seek out a 430U as a top-tier paper med alone in the middle of the map. In those you can still do more than just play a TD. But other times, that can get you killed faster. I've seen a lot of Leo tanks get flak for sitting at the back. But at times, some sit too long at the back and move along the red line. And at times, that's less helpful then if they moved up and died instantly. So I suspect Leo tanks have a bad rep. Clip guns less so. 

kaneloon #3 Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:06 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29229 battles

To what tanks are you refering to ?

Good Batchat players seem to do a lot of scouting. Italians are often pretty agressives.

Heavies less (T57 and Kranvagn) since they are slower and don't want to be caught reloading.

T50/51 in the middle.

snowlywhite #4 Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:54 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19684 battles

I get a lot of flak in bc; which obviously I'm playing at the back in the start if it's not an open map where I can spot. But then, most are rather clueless.

Today had a cretin in an e100 complaing I'm not spotting on airfield at the start(still 15 vs 15). Was, like, yeah, whatever, go f yourself. Couple of games later had a skorp crying that our light doesn't "spot"; on f mines out of all things... You can't really do much beside blocking them in chat. Idiots are idiots and that's life.

That being said, honestly I don't have a problem tk-ing if someone starts to actively grief me. And with 2k clip you're pretty convincing :P

Hedgehog1963 #5 Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51850 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

View PostTurnedToDust, on 29 December 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

I have been playing some paper snipers like the Leopard 1 and oh boy is it painfull, but that's another story.

Nobody asked you to play that, so please don't assume the role of martyr.

Homer_J #6 Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTurnedToDust, on 29 December 2018 - 01:36 AM, said:

Strange, I have almost never had any such issues.

A couple of times someone who clearly hasn't been paying attention has seen me relocating from one flank to another and thought I was hiding at the back but that's very very rare.

I suggest that if you regularly have a problem then maybe you are playing a bit behind second line, maybe third or fourth line.

Some replays will help though.

:tumbleweed:

Ceeb #7 Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:46 AM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 31472 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

I see the Spagettio camping in every game..... 50 100s (now obsolete) also.  I see more and more BC 25t camping. 

All clicking on my Evan 90 to spot... to piss those people off I park behind them :) 

seXikanac #8 Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12340 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-
Anybody playing less aggressive than me is coward :D Why would autoloaders be allowed to camp?

Dr_Blackshark #9 Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12339 battles
Everybody should play how they like. What if someone plays any tank as a sniper? He/She can do that. It's the community that ruin the experience. And only those teamkill and troll you who blame the whole game and their bad performance on one teammate. You want to play as a sniper? Play as a sniper and don't let *edited* ruin your fun. 

Edited by NickMustaine, 29 December 2018 - 08:40 PM.
Inappropriate remarks

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30999 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostDr_Blackshark, on 29 December 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

Everybody should play how they like. What if someone plays any tank as a sniper? He/She can do that. It's the community that ruin the experience. And only those teamkill and troll you who blame the whole game and their bad performance on one teammate. You want to play as a sniper? Play as a sniper and don't let *edited* ruin your fun. 

Equally tho, if you want to play as a sniper at least have the consideration for the rest of the team to pick an appropriate tank class. Sniping E-100 is not helpful to the frontline.

Robbie_T #11 Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17595 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Dont mind them camping but would be nice if they watched there minimap...and when we have 3/4 of the map that they move forwards instead of staying in the back whole game Tds also dose that annoys the hell out of me.

How many times i lost a battle becuase 3,4 tds's just camp the whole time not supporting there team for the final blow.

OneSock #12 Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36408 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

you have to fill the role the MM gives you. On a team with no scouts, on an open map, you may need to play the scout role. spotting is everything on some maps.

It's like a top tier HT (3-5-7) going to the LT spotting position on lakeville. He's going to be useless in that position and the tier 8/7s will have no armour in the city to counter the enemy HT.

You need to understand that you need to adapt.

McLovers #13 Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:41 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14983 battles
  • [SETI] SETI

View PostDr_Blackshark, on 29 December 2018 - 11:10 AM, said:

Everybody should play how they like. What if someone plays any tank as a sniper? He/She can do that. It's the community that ruin the experience. And only those teamkill and troll you who blame the whole game and their bad performance on one teammate. You want to play as a sniper? Play as a sniper and don't let *edited* ruin your fun. 

This is not ok, all tanks in the game have a role to play, scouts need to scout and meds need to push behind the heavies or take the flank etc.. heavies, lights or meds camping behind arty sniping will lose the game for the whole team, not just you.  If you want to play as a sniper pick a TD or expect your team to be annoyed, the whole point of this game is working together, you logon alone however you play together.

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 29 December 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Equally tho, if you want to play as a sniper at least have the consideration for the rest of the team to pick an appropriate tank class. Sniping E-100 is not helpful to the frontline.

​This is spot on, play the game how you like but pick the right tank for the role you want to perform.

HassenderZerhacker #14 Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:07 AM

Major

• Player
  • 28596 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostHedgehog1963, on 29 December 2018 - 04:01 AM, said:

Nobody asked you to play that, so please don't assume the role of martyr.

the thought police has spoken.

iuytr #15 Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10357 battles

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 29 December 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

Fck the team. Random battles are 29 vs 1 except you can't shoot 14 of them without penalty.

Tactical_Spoon #16 Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:28 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1498 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View PostTurnedToDust, on 29 December 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

My question to you guys is, I get a lot flak for not leading the charge, not spotting, not brawling heavies and to make a long story short not making live easy for others as I put myself in a support roll.

One thing erks me a bit, I never see autloaders get that treatment for doing the same thing.

Never played an autoloader so I'm ignorant to how they play etc, but most of the games my eyes are on the minimap and I have gotten the assumption autoloaders are exempt from doing harm that way?

It depends. In my Standard B on a map like Steppes, for example, I sit on the hill from the South spawn on the East flank if there is 2 or more artillery, because all that happens if I try to take the front line is that I get derped for half my HP at the very start; no help to anyone but the enemy team. However, if I'm top tier in a 3-5-7 matchmaking and I'm not so worried about facing arty then I'll take the front line as long as I have support - if not, no point in going to the flank in the first place. 

Gifxt300 #17 Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:31 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4897 battles

By their nature, autoloaders get more dangerous the longer the battle goes on. It's not unusual for those playing autoloaders to be a bit more passive at the start of a battle, getting progressively more aggressive as the battle continues. Excellent players shine when they can balance the passive start with the aggressive end and maximize their tanks potential.

I do highly recommend picking up an autoloader yourself so you can see the play style difference. Careful aggression management coupled with ammo management (this mainly applies to french vehicles) is one the main differences between a good player and an excellent one.

MeNoobTank #18 Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13313 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC
I rearly see autoloaders camping, usually they are the most aggressive tanks in the team. That is of course if we talk about lights and mediums, the autoloader heavies are very slow (T57 and Kranvagn) and the french one is paper so it is a second liner not a brawler. The autoloader TD's are TD's but I saw some Foch TD that where pretty aggressive leading the pack.

Mimos_A #19 Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:08 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 25313 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostTurnedToDust, on 29 December 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

Your results in the tank show that whatever it is you're doing in it is clearly not working. Terms like "support" and "sniping" often get abused or mistaken for a free pass to be way too passive. At the end of the day, if you want to (help your team) win, you need to realise you're playing a pixel tonk that can do pewpew and has hp. Both are tools. If you get too hung up on being "support" or a "sniper", you'll lose games for your team. Hell, even in a UDES, you sometimes need to take a hit, simply because you're the only one with hp left. It sounds like you're way too stuck thinking about your tank's role and think too little about playing the game. Sure, it matters what tank you're in, and sure, you shouldn't set out to go brawl with heavies in a Leopard, but if the situation demands it, what matters if whether you have enough HP to take a hit when your teammate doesn't, and whether you can take a calculated risk to decide a situation in your team's favour, not whether you're fullfilling your "role". It often seems that the simple fact that a 1200 hp Leopard has a pretty much 100% chance of surviving a 390 alpha hit where a 300 hp IS-7 does not is lost on people.

I sometimes get crap in an autoloader. Usually it's quickly resolved by indicating my reload, nobody expects someone with 25 seconds on a reload to be in a position to lose HP for no reason. Also, autoloaders often tend to trade, as in take one shot to dish out 3 or 4 at least, not just snipe from the back. Most autoloaders have gun handling that doesn't allow you to snipe much, it's way more efficient to wait for the opportunity to ruin someone's day while only taking one or two hits in return.

Edited by Mimos_A, 30 December 2018 - 01:23 AM.

Dorander #20 Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:34 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18686 battles

I can't say I've ever noticed the described difference between the Leo 1 and autoloaders. Regarding the playstyle itself, keep in mind that just because you are a paper tank doesn't mean you should play a sniper. A lot of the other tier X paper meds don't, or even paper tanks of other types. I've seen people berate other players for camping at the back no matter what kind of tank they were driving, autoloader or otherwise. I have never seen anyone type out the phrase "He's an autoloader so it's fine to camp at the back".

I seldomly like to play paper tanks because I don't like the role of a second liner, even if that means I'm not at 500m sniping but hiding behind other people at close range or merely popping out to fire occasionally. I prefer armour that works. If I look at what other capable people are doing with their paper meds though they don't redline or just take up camping positions, they take up positions from which they can pop out and fire at various angles, contributing to damage dealing to otherwise occupied targets before they drop back into cover. This frequently means they have some kind of frontline-ish position if the map allows. Sometimes they just spot and shoot, then drop back to cover. The difference between the Leo 1 and other tanks for this playstyle is that the Leo 1 is so powercrept it doesn't carry the same level of perceived threat as any of these other tanks. It doesn't have the firepower, it doesn't have the speed and it doesn't have the camouflage, nearly every other tank does something better and the rest typically virtually equal.

There are also always people who think that just because you are top tier it is your job to take hits for other because you have the armour, when in reality you don't. This is essentially unfixable because it is a balance problem rather than a player problem. A Leo 1 can't lead the charge, even at top tier, it's just a waste of your tank. Then again given the current meta it could be argued that it's a waste of time to play your Leo 1. I don't play mine anymore either, it sounds more fun to flagellate myself with a cat o' nine tails.

The only thing I can say regarding your teammates and this kind of behaviour, is ignore them when you can, report them when you can't. Team damage is never the solution, there's simply no excuse for it, it's against the rules and these people deserve retribution. Even if they had a point, nobody has the right to tell you how to play. Don't let them bait you into something you know your tank can't do, it won't help you win more games in that tank. Ignore them, report them, and move on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users