Jump to content


How to make WoT better and get New players to start playing the game. (suggestion)

Gameplay Graphics New players

  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

The_Naa #1 Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:00 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

Hello and happy New year. :)

I might be able to bring a New point of view to you about how to make the game better to some of the New players and older ones (me).

World of tanks is known for being free to play, so it attracts budgect gamers like me.

Currently low tier games tend to be a bit too fast paced, its good when you look at it from point of view that you want to get past the low tier fast, fast games mean quick XP and XP means bigger tanks. This does not prepare players to a more slow paced game in the higher tiers but thats not my point I am going for. point is that because the game is so fast paced in lower tiers, some computers of those budget gamers have Hard time keeping up.

I started playing WoT after 3 years after I was able to get a decent computers from a friend for 100€ in the end of 2017, and the game was horrible, maps like: Mittengrad, Ensk, Mines(but mostly on higher tiers) were utter chaos, no tactics, but worst of all as they are so small maps there are so much going on on the screen it kills my FPS and makes the game unplayable.

So I will list hew things to make the game better for budget players:

-make it a option to blacklist maps that your computers has Hard time running. (for me it would be all maps that are under 600mX600m suchs as ensk/Mines) but there are others)

-Option to remove unnecessary things from maps from options menu, Such as planes, helicopter and explosions at the start of the game.

-Option to remove enemy rounds and the trails they leave. (tanks that have machine guns are the best way to kill players as not only are effective they also kill FPS of the targeted player, tanks like Pz1c are my nightmare, if that thing points its gun at you, you are stuck for 5-10 seconds in a 1 frame per second hell and you are unable to do anything about it, only way to counter this is: if you manage to enable autoaim and spamming the fire button you might be able to come out on top as long as your luck holds out, that is the reason I dont play tier 1-4 tanks as the machine guns are OP as they kill my FPS and so make the game litterally unplayable as you cant play the game with 1 frame per second, the enemy however can (pay to win confirmed, super computers OP plz nerf ;)))

-Setting the platoon chat off from the start as it lowers the FPS in platoons (I had to come here on the forums to figure that out) and if the players have mics and are willing to talk to each other they will most likely go and see what button is the talk button and that way figure out to set the platoon chat on, but as I did not have mic I did not know that that was the reason for my FPS drop in platoons. 

-Option to select 7vs7 games as it has positive effect on FPS as there are less tanks in the battle so computers dont have to keep track of so many things. 

 

Those are somethings that have affected my gameplay a lot and i am sure some others as well, as those who dont have no money for New computers will try the game (because its free, so whats the harm.) and if they get the same perspective as me (maps are small and utter chaos and machine guns (and other fast firing guns) kill the FPS to unplayable levels, they will pack their stuff and leave.

I however knew that its not like that in higher tier so I bought the Panther 88 and got out from that hell that is low tier, to get free XP and skip the low tier tanks and going from that.

At the start I got 7-13 FPS but soon stoped playing after 100-300 battles as it was still kinda bad.

Tried the game on PS4, but the controls were bad, (I wanted to control my tanks movement with the Dpad (arrow Keys,) so I did not play any more than 5 battles even tho the game ran smoother but I hate controlling tanks with joysticks. 

Then came update 1.0, my brother told me that it was really great as WG had remade the game with a New game engine, so I gave it a try and hurraa, the game now ran with 15-25 FPS so I started playing again, and after update 1.3 I get 15-30 FPS. :)

I think WG is doing a great Job with their game and i might be able to pass that 30 FPS next year if WG keeps up the great work. :great:

But I think WG should promote the idea of WoT being a free to play game and able to run on bad computers so players that dont have money to update their computers or buy games. But yelling around that WoT is now a HD game with insane graphics will turn away budget players. 

Making the game run smoother in low tiers is important.



iuytr #2 Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 10357 battles
  • 590
  • Member since:
    06-04-2015

My FPS went the opposite way, from 15-20 pre-1.0 to single figures after 1.0!

 

I would also suggest adding all the old maps back into the rotation for lower tiers. Most poeple don't give a stuff if the map is unbalanced if you play it 4,000,000,000,000,000,000 times, they just want lots of different maps to play.



Dikkeh0nd #3 Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 22920 battles
  • 228
  • [E-BAY] E-BAY
  • Member since:
    12-29-2012

So because you have an old computer the game needs to be changed?

How about no..



1ucky #4 Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 78592 battles
  • 1,140
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

No, it's in WG's interest that the game looks a bit better than pure shite, in case someone sees it. By the way that also attracts new customers, the fact that the product doesn't look horrible. The downside is that you can't run it on a computer from the 1900's, but who cares. Be real.

 

 


Edited by 1ucky, 30 December 2018 - 07:18 PM.


Dorander #5 Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 19122 battles
  • 3,862
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

Wow... and I thought my computer at seven years was old, one has to wonder what kind of machine you have to get those kinds of fps values...

 

While some ideas to remove optional graphics that your PC can't handle aren't per se a problem, suggestions like blacklisting maps is not just a matter of removing aesthetics for performance, it's a matter of removing gameplay. People have requested map blacklists for various other reasons, I doubt WG is going to be responsive to this one. I honestly doubt they'll do much at all, does your computer even meet WoT recommended specs? (link to specs: https://eu.wargaming.../article/10249/ )

 

Perhaps it's easier to look into some mods that remove features that kill your performance... though you may get a longer loading time initially, and unsure how mods would affect your overall game performance. It shouldn't be too hard to mod some displayed effects out client-side so they probably exist. Of course that means you'll no longer be able to see certain things happening but if you're playing in a state where your game practically freezes when under autocannon fire, it's picking the best of two bad cases.



The_Naa #6 Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

View Post1ucky, on 30 December 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

No, it's in WG's interest that the game looks a bit better than pure shite, in case someone sees it. By the way that also attracts new customers, the fact that the product doesn't look horrible. The downside is that you can't run it on a computer from the 1900's, but who cares. Be real.

 

 

 

I agree its not great for WG image to yell that game looks shite, but making it possible for players to have the option to unselect some graphics settings that make the game run slower, WG has some intrest on making game run on crap computers by making the terrain just go "puff" instead of falling apart with the physics engine, and if players have to buy New computers to play the game then frankly thats less money to WG as they have to pay others to play the game but if it works with a bad computer then they might buy some premium tanks and other stuff. 

The_Naa #7 Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

View PostDorander, on 30 December 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

Perhaps it's easier to look into some mods that remove features that kill your performance... though you may get a longer loading time initially, and unsure how mods would affect your overall game performance. It shouldn't be too hard to mod some displayed effects out client-side so they probably exist. Of course that means you'll no longer be able to see certain things happening but if you're playing in a state where your game practically freezes when under autocannon fire, it's picking the best of two bad cases.

I might take a look at mods but I dont know where to look and i am a bit affraid I might download illegal mods. But mods are temporary solution, unless there is a exact mod that I need, best case scenario would be if WG makes my Dreams come True. 



Jigabachi #8 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:05 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17948 battles
  • 20,535
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

Sorry, but if your computer can't run the basic version of WoT at an acceptable level, you simply need a better computer. And if you can't afford a proper computer that can run WoT, you should care about other things and not about playing games. You can't expect the developers to care for people who want the game to run on a wired potato.

 



The_Naa #9 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:10 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

View PostJigabachi, on 30 December 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

Sorry, but if your computer can't run the basic version of WoT at an acceptable level, you simply need a better computer. And if you can't afford a proper computer that can run WoT, you should care about other things and not about playing games. You can't expect the developers to care for people who want the game to run on a wired potato.

 

My computers runs the game fine, and i only have to stay away from tier 1-4, and recent update have only improved my FPS so I see no need to buy a New computer. 



PowJay #10 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 37570 battles
  • 4,568
  • Member since:
    09-07-2012

One thing that is great about WoT is how great the game looks with max detail. From what I've seen of players complaining about invisible objects on low-detail settings, you can run WoT on a pretty old machine.

 

I don't think that includes Pentium 3 and original Athlon machines, however. How much lower do you expect the settings to go?  



jack_timber #11 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 36304 battles
  • 2,644
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Unfortunately sometimes a PC that was cutting edge 5 years ago has got to be upgraded, I am on my third PC since starting to play WoT. Mind you first was a laptop with Intel GPU, maybe ok for MS office but games!

It all depends what you want if you are happy with low FPS on SD graphics fine but if you can upgrade to a PC capable of running HD maxed out with 100+ FPS the immersive experience is great.

Like I say it all depends on what you want or rather what you can afford.



The_Naa #12 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

View Postjack_timber, on 30 December 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

Unfortunately sometimes a PC that was cutting edge 5 years ago has got to be upgraded, I am on my third PC since starting to play WoT. Mind you first was a laptop with Intel GPU, maybe ok for MS office but games!

It all depends what you want if you are happy with low FPS on SD graphics fine but if you can upgrade to a PC capable of running HD maxed out with 100+ FPS the immersive experience is great.

Like I say it all depends on what you want or rather what you can afford.

 

What !I! Want is that those plane and helicopter to disapear as they dont add anything to my gameplay and only cause some FPS lag when the fly over my screen and IF i want to play tier 1-4 I need those round not to appear on my screen (so that I only see my health bar draining but not who shoots at me). But I am talking about other budget gamers. Who might benefit from reduced graphics

Homer_J #13 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 30812 battles
  • 33,233
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

I play on a pretty terrible laptop sometimes and I don't recognise the problems you describe.

 

Low tiers play better than high tiers performance wise, maybe there are less polygons or something.  And small maps are no worse than big ones.  The only map I have a problem with is Mannerheim line which takes 3 minutes to load but once it is loaded it plays fine.



The_Naa #14 Posted 30 December 2018 - 08:58 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

View PostHomer_J, on 30 December 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

I play on a pretty terrible laptop sometimes and I don't recognise the problems you describe.

 

Low tiers play better than high tiers performance wise, maybe there are less polygons or something.  And small maps are no worse than big ones.  The only map I have a problem with is Mannerheim line which takes 3 minutes to load but once it is loaded it plays fine.

 

Yeah I have the same Problem with Mannerheim line, but for me small maps are worse as there are more tanks on my draw distance.

Edited by The_Naa, 30 December 2018 - 08:59 PM.


Laatikkomafia #15 Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

    Brigadier

  • Beta Tester
  • 22887 battles
  • 4,731
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    12-27-2010

How to make WoT better?

 

Remove arty.

Remake, bring back and remove some maps.

Fire the current balance team.

Hire people who actually know what balance means.



Homer_J #16 Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 30812 battles
  • 33,233
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 30 December 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

How to make WoT better?

 

Remove arty cap.

 

FTFY.

The_Naa #17 Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 30 December 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

How to make WoT better?

 

Remove arty.

Remake, bring back and remove some maps.

Fire the current balance team.

Hire people who actually know what balance means.

 

This improves FPS?

how?  



Dorander #18 Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:33 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 19122 battles
  • 3,862
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

View PostThe_Naa, on 30 December 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

 

This improves FPS?

how?  

 

It doesn't, that poster just uses any excuse to whine about the same things over and over, even in threads that really didn't ask for it. He most likely didn't even read what this thread was about, he just saw the title and saw it as an excuse to repeat his lines.

 

View PostThe_Naa, on 30 December 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

I might take a look at mods but I dont know where to look and i am a bit affraid I might download illegal mods. But mods are temporary solution, unless there is a exact mod that I need, best case scenario would be if WG makes my Dreams come True. 

 

The WoT website has an official mod portal with mods that are supposedly safe to use according to the current rules. However that's not a full guarantee, if you use mods it's always possible to get flagged as a false positive. Personally I always play with various mods, from a modpack that's on the official portal, and I've never had issues with accusations of illegal mods. Well not from Wargaming anyway, random players will yell anything...

The_Naa #19 Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4428 battles
  • 456
  • Member since:
    11-10-2017

View PostDorander, on 30 December 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

 

It doesn't, that poster just uses any excuse to whine about the same things over and over, even in threads that really didn't ask for it. He most likely didn't even read what this thread was about, he just saw the title and saw it as an excuse to repeat his lines.

 

 

The WoT website has an official mod portal with mods that are supposedly safe to use according to the current rules. However that's not a full guarantee, if you use mods it's always possible to get flagged as a false positive. Personally I always play with various mods, from a modpack that's on the official portal, and I've never had issues with accusations of illegal mods. Well not from Wargaming anyway, random players will yell anything...

Can I get a link or something I was not sure if i found the right place, and if the mods hamper gamespeed the effect might be +10/-10=0



Dorander #20 Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 19122 battles
  • 3,862
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

View PostThe_Naa, on 02 January 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

Can I get a link or something I was not sure if i found the right place, and if the mods hamper gamespeed the effect might be +10/-10=0

 

Not that I recommend clicking unknown links on fora, but: https://wgmods.net

 

You can also reach it, if you want to be sure you have the right site and without clicking a link provided by someone else, by going through the menu on this forum. At the very top left should be a menu button called Games, this opens a drop-down menu listing various Wargaming products, it should have World of Tanks (the first game in the list) automatically selected. At the bottom right of that menu section you find a list of links related to that game, the fifth link in the list is called Mod Hub. That's the one you want for the official mod portal. Keep in mind that while these mods are deemed legal by WG, they are still third party software.

 

If the mods end up with a net loss or equal FPS you can just remove them again but might be worth a try. One of the first ones listed is called Config Tuner, I have no experience with it myself but going by the description it sounds like it does what you need.







Also tagged with Gameplay, Graphics, New players

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users