3 Artillery per team is too many

Artillery Gameplay Overpowered

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Sithilid #1 Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13335 battles
Seriously, the amount of times I've been pinned and pummelled (if not one-shotted) by overwhelming artillery dominance lately is getting really annoying. It's bad enough you re-introduced the deus ex machima that is the leFH18B2 but Playing TD's is becoming a nightmare. I'm not normally an Arty basher, but this seriously needs to be looked at. Perhaps limit the number of Arty units, or nerf the fire rate, I dunno... but please do something?

wEight_Tanker #2 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10753 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

Arty:

- Limit to 2

- Remove the stun effect

- Buff the Alpha Damage back

- Nerf accuracy

- Slightly Nerf reload time

- Suicide by drown or splash takes 50k credits away or acts like desert punishment depriving all Credits and XP earned in that battle

- Nerf spotting, buff concealment, arty spots you without a problem without getting spotted

Qarina #3 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15914 battles
Can we instead limit people whinning about arty to 1 or 2 per day?

WoT_RU_Doing #4 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57826 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
I wonder if the ability to navigate safely around a map and the ability to navigate to the appropriate thread on a forum are related skills?

wEight_Tanker #5 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10753 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 31 December 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

I wonder if the ability to navigate safely around a map and the ability to navigate to the appropriate thread on a forum are related skills?

I wonder if you say that because you can shoot through obstacles at enemies.

Slind #6 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:45 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56813 battles
I play artillery but I agree, even before the SPG mechanics was changed and the stun effect was introduced, my opinion was that 2 SPGs per team would be enough with the old mechanics.

WoT_RU_Doing #7 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57826 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 31 December 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

I wonder if you say that because you can shoot through obstacles at enemies.

Nope, can't do that.

wEight_Tanker #8 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10753 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 31 December 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Nope, can't do that.

Right. So you sit back until the round ends dealing no damage. Understood.

WoT_RU_Doing #9 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57826 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 31 December 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

Right. So you sit back until the round ends dealing no damage. Understood.

What? Sorry...I'm obviously not understanding your point at all

wEight_Tanker #10 Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10753 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 31 December 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

What? Sorry...I'm obviously not understanding your point at all

Okay. Name a few positions safe from arty where you can farm damage?

Del059 #11 Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34077 battles
  • [REBRN] REBRN

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 31 December 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

Anywhere where you are not seen when you shoot. You should know this from having 216 games in a T67.

WindSplitter1 #12 Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18907 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View PostBrawling_Drunkard, on 31 December 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

Seriously, the amount of times I've been pinned and pummelled (if not one-shotted) by overwhelming artillery dominance lately is getting really annoying. It's bad enough you re-introduced the deus ex machima that is the leFH18B2 but Playing TD's is becoming a nightmare. I'm not normally an Arty basher, but this seriously needs to be looked at. Perhaps limit the number of Arty units, or nerf the fire rate, I dunno... but please do something?

The damage an SPG can inflict if they pen is the damage a TDs will inflict when they pen.

From what others have said, the purpose of toning down the SPG, was because they did too much damage... among other obvious aspects. You're playing a Class that can delete a slot with one click. This is just as problematic as 3-5 SPGs with the same potential as before.

At least, measures where taken to deal with that...

WoT_RU_Doing #13 Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57826 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostwEight_Tanker, on 31 December 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

At the moment, pretty much anywhere that has an object vertically above or below you, unless the arty is using the original G aim assistant mod (not the in-game one). Other than that, it depends on the location of the arty obviously, but generally on a reverse slope, where the arty shot radius extends down the hill means they are likely to miss. Also being near the edge of the map means they are likely to miss. So for example, defending, the join of K7/K8 on Siegfried Line is pretty safe, and great for farming. Add in all the cover on most maps, and there are plenty of safe positions, or if it turns out that they are not, you know exactly where the arty must be, in which case you can adjust your play.

iuytr #14 Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12139 battles

If you don't like arty then play the lower tiers. There's no stun, guns are less accurate, range is less so arty have to move into the map. Any change proposed will make arty even harder to play at lower tiers.

Bordhaw #15 Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14894 battles

View PostBrawling_Drunkard, on 31 December 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

3 Artillery per team is too many

And what about 6 TD's per team is too much or 5 heavies per team is too much or or or or .....................

_Saxon #16 Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:36 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4509 battles

I've never posted on this forum before, but let me try and express my current frustration with arty;

It's the lack of meaningful counterplay. Gameplay should reward or punish players for their decision making and their micro control. I include map navigation choices in this, like predicting where TDs are likely to deploy and picking your forward route carefully. But with arty there is no counterplay available, if you're in the unfortunate position as a heavy when 3 arty decide to focus you then you might as well just log off, because you cannot make meaningful choices at that point, your own gameplay no longer influences the outcome of your game (and please don't say 'just move', because that really isn't always an option once 2 heavy lines have engaged, especially given high level arty reload times).

I understand arty serve an important function. Noone likes the idea of hull down heavies being impossible to shift and arty are a good answer to that, but right now it feels like a loaded deck entirely on the side of the arty. They don't even have to hit you, I took only 31 splash damage from an arty round this morning and still had to endure the full duration stun.

Personally, I think there needs to be a relationship between armour and stun duration. It's ridiculous that all tanks are treated equally when an arty round lands somewhere in the vague vicinity. I'm not talking about direct hits here, just the stun from even the mildest of splash damage. If heavies have some resistance to getting constantly stunned then it gives them more choices about positioning as it's only direct hits they're concerned about at that point, whereas it leaves arty with the ability to hamper lights that are crossing towards them, with mediums falling somewhere in the middle and I'd guess TDs depending on type and armour (except the Obj 268, that should always suffer double stun duration!!).

Then to tweak just how influential arty is right now I think you need to pick either: slightly longer reload times across the board to allow genuine opportunity to reposition in a manner that doesn't resemble lemmings running off a cliff before the next salvo lands, or reduce the number of SPGs per game to 2.

kubawt112 #17 Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

I believe it's technically not illegal per the game rules to be 100% useless if you so desire, whether that is done by means of self-destruction/drowning or alt-tabbing slightly more than your average SPG player.

I would hence like to recommend that you play arty, but do your part - make sure to lessen the load on the enemy by not playing that hard.

View PostFaTSaXoN, on 01 January 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

(...)

Lack of counterplay in general is an issue for practically all classes in WoT.

Camping, in just about any class, is a huge advantage on its own (by means of gun handling, spotting/camo and armor mechanics). Then you take a look at the map design and realize that you're generally better off waiting for the enemy. No amount of situational awareness will help the fact that you have to reduce the tank count by half before you can have a chance at figuring out what plays you can make. Peeking over the ridge on <insert map here> means getting shot by TDs that you can't possibly see, spotted by a LT that you know is there, but that you can't really blindfire because you'll get spotted and/or you have to place an unrealistic amount of shots to have a slight chance at hitting it. That's of course provided that you can even get around that sidescraping/hulldown tank in front of you. Unless you're in a certain broken Japanese superheavy, you cannot (the thing should arguably not be able to bounce the amount of shots it does, but should darn well be able to wear down passively playing armoured tanks).

Good old WOPR's assessment of tic-tac-toe certainly holds true for WoT at times - it indeed bears a similar sense of futility, though wrapped in enough layers of "complex mechanics" and RNG that many players might not realize it. Of course, who's to complain when the matchmaker 10-20% of the time gives you a top-tier match where you have a substantial advantage over 12/15 enemy tanks?

Happyfrags #18 Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:07 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13177 battles
  • [U-EAT] U-EAT

I'm for a complete arty rework : 

Remove SPG as a playable vehicle

Allow player to command both a tank and an arty at the same time.

• If you're T+0 you don't command an arty
  • If you're T-1 you command one arty
  • if you're T-2 you command one arty and its shell are free

Player can change their arty attached to each tank at will when they're in the garage.

You can have SPG, canon or rocket pod arty to support your tank.

• SPG fire slower but their shell take less time to arrive
  • Field arty are standard
  • Rocket pod arty fire volley of rocket that deal light damage per rocket in a huge radius

Arty stun is reworked :

no longer reduce the target stats by 50%

Completely immobilize the target for a short time and freeze the recharge and the use of all its items (medkit, repairkit, extinguisher, chocolate, octane) for a medium-to-long duration. 

For example, if you take 373 damage from a 1100 alpha damage arty, you'll be immobilized for 3,5 sec and can't use your items for 11 sec.

Extra idea : 

• Successive fire at the same location are more accurate.
  • When you use your arty, friendly see a where and when it will strike and receive a warning if they are in the area.

Edited by Happyfrags, 01 January 2019 - 02:13 AM.

Tactical_Spoon #19 Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:19 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1621 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View PostHappyfrags, on 01 January 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

I'm for a complete arty rework : 

Remove SPG as a playable vehicle

Allow player to command both a tank and an arty at the same time.

• If you're T+0 you don't command an arty
  • If you're T-1 you command one arty
  • if you're T-2 you command one arty and its shell are free

Player can change their arty attached to each tank at will when they're in the garage.

You can have SPG, canon or rocket pod arty to support your tank.

• SPG fire slower but their shell take less time to arrive
  • Field arty are standard
  • Rocket pod arty fire volley of rocket that deal light damage per rocket in a huge radius

Arty stun is reworked :

no longer reduce the target stats by 50%

Completely immobilize the target for a short time and freeze the recharge and the use of all its items (medkit, repairkit, extinguisher, chocolate, octane) for a medium-to-long duration. 

For example, if you take 373 damage from a 1100 alpha damage arty, you'll be immobilized for 3,5 sec and can't use your items for 11 sec.

Extra idea : 

• Successive fire at the same location are more accurate.
  • When you use your arty, friendly see a where and when it will strike and receive a warning if they are in the area.

Please no

FrantisekBascovansky #20 Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29675 battles

View PostBrawling_Drunkard, on 31 December 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

I am often pinned and pummeled - if not oneshotted -  by overwhelming enemy tanks dominance lately and it is getting really annoying. Playing SPG in the muppet team is becoming a nightmare. I am not normally an enemy basher, but this seriously needs to be looked at. Perhaps limit the number of fast light tanks, all around mediums, or heavily armored heavies, or at least invisible TDs, just nerf their armor, fire rate, HPs, view range, I dunno.... pleaseee do something!!!

I want to win easy way!

Also tagged with Artillery, Gameplay, Overpowered

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users