PLease take Highway back out of the game

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

jdc302 #21 Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15994 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 02 January 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

Because feedback on a map needs to come from more people in more areas on multiple servers over multiple demographics of the player base reviewed with data. Map feedback does not come from 1 person and then get acted on. 

I have seen a lot of people on forum on different post say that mines needs to be changed. If you are playing encounter, northern spawn has the easiest way to get  the hill. If you are a french light on southern spawn and need to cross the water, you have NO chance of getting to the hill first. And you can only let the enemy dominate it. 

Ceeb #22 Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 34183 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View Posteekeeboo, on 02 January 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

Because feedback on a map needs to come from more people in more areas on multiple servers over multiple demographics of the player base reviewed with data. Map feedback does not come from 1 person and then get acted on. 

Yeah, I'm the only one thats mentioned about these at Tier 10 :sceptic:

Tom_Deekanarry #23 Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14443 battles
highway is great compared to Empires Borders, I mean what idiot made a map with three choke points!

RaxipIx #24 Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35670 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View Posteekeeboo, on 02 January 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Though we all have maps we dislike, sometimes popular dislike! It's important to note that unless a map is statistically imbalanced or poses other problems it is unlikely to be removed. We always gather feedback and pass it on, with regards to players feeling on maps and the preferred layouts etc, but map diversity is important to try and give every tank an opportunity to perform in more games. 

For instance I always loved Erlenberg, not a big fan of the new map, but I haven't played it as frequently and thus haven't gotten my head around it as well when attacking. 

So why is Mines still in the game?

MeNoobTank #25 Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17584 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC

I do not agree with the statement that Highway is bad. I find the map to be pretty nice in gameplay for all of the tank types. Also not inbalanced from South/North. Every side is good.

The only maps which are really bad are Mines, Ensk and Abbey that need to be reduced to tier 7 cap. 

Then there is Paris that need a complete rework I agree.

The polish map is good, not sure why everyone is mad about it. Even Minsk is kinda ok, they announced a rework on it so it is fine !

the_nebuchadnezzar #26 Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 55786 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
I think the map would be better if they add some cover so one could use the big land in the middle that, for now, it's just waste land...

markthekiller #27 Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17767 battles
  • [EMOJI] EMOJI

View Posteekeeboo, on 02 January 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

Wasn't Province removed for high tiers because it was too small? Then why is Ensk not? With decent view range you can spot enemies in the first 10 seconds of the game from your own base.

RenamedUser_555746413 #28 Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3108 battles

View Postwsatnutter, on 02 January 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

if you play the map right you can negate the advantage , however that would be down to that rare beast called team work

how, any tips appreciated

only successful method I have found from south spawn is in light tanks.

go towards middle map in bush and scout enemy meds heading to ao from their northern spawn and cross snipe e4 area, if and only if they have no scout under bridge I can then cross over and head up to e8 and spot

but every other time I have played its been a roflstomp as their meds just storm Ao, our tanks defending in d1 get insta killed and then they end up flanking and often capping whilst our heavies are stuck in city and cant get back or cant shoot because of too much cover over cap

had a quick check though replay folder and in 25 battles only won twice from south j2 spawn and only lost once from north b8 spawn

edit are more battles but some are not replaying I assume because of patches

Edited by RenamedUser_555746413, 02 January 2019 - 04:35 PM.

ThinGun #29 Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

Major

• Player
  • 41027 battles
I hate all maps where I am not guaranteed a win, they should all be deleted and replaced with a massive car park map.  With a single bush for me to hide behind.

Mitz_the_Blitz #30 Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 37790 battles

View PostTom_Deekanarry, on 02 January 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

highway is great compared to Empires Borders, I mean what idiot made a map with three choke points!

....you said exaclty what I was going to write. Empire's border is an utter crap of a map and when I see the battle loading on this map I feel like rage quitting. :(

I don't have too many maps that I despice, but Empire's border with Minsk are two new additions and they are completely not enjoyable for me.

RenamedUser_555746413 #31 Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3108 battles

View PostThinGun, on 02 January 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I hate all maps where I am not guaranteed a win, they should all be deleted and replaced with a massive car park map.  With a single bush for me to hide behind.

lmao

most maps are reasonably balanced, often badly played rather than badly balanced (for example live oaks)

but any good players know storm a0 and you have a massive advantage from north, happens over and over

15:47 Added after 1 minute

View PostMitz_the_Blitz, on 02 January 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

....you said exaclty what I was going to write. Empire's border is an utter crap of a map and when I see the battle loading on this map I feel like rage quitting. :(

I don't have too many maps that I despice, but Empire's border with Minsk are two new additions and they are completely not enjoyable for me.

empires border is ok, liked it more at start, less so now BUT I have turned off assault simply because of this map and I love assault generally
15:51 Added after 5 minutes

View Posteekeeboo, on 02 January 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Though we all have maps we dislike, sometimes popular dislike! It's important to note that unless a map is statistically imbalanced or poses other problems it is unlikely to be removed. We always gather feedback and pass it on, with regards to players feeling on maps and the preferred layouts etc, but map diversity is important to try and give every tank an opportunity to perform in more games. 

For instance I always loved Erlenberg, not a big fan of the new map, but I haven't played it as frequently and thus haven't gotten my head around it as well when attacking. 

loved old erlenberg, a map which rewarded skilled players, not a brainless map we have now

same with sand river assault, Kharkov an Stalingrad, good maps requiring hire skill levels, but they get removed because players are too scared to play the game and the skill level as a result getting lowered and the game getting worse and less rewarding

Mr_Burrows #32 Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:57 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 50648 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

I am an old git, and must admit that I loathe change. And thus I will stick my neck out and say that the old version of Highway was better.

(So was also the old version of Erlenberg bettter than the new one, btw. WoT needs an "old school game mode" where you download an old game client and play tanks and maps as they used to be. Nobody but me that miss Swamp, for example? )

Balc0ra #33 Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 74884 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

It was on my #1 spot before it's removal. The new version still has much of the same flaws that make it a boring map. But it's better in other areas. 

If anything it's the lemming fail of a map called Emperor's borders that needs to be removed. That's my #1 now. It suffers the same bad mistake all Asian themed maps have done before it. Like highway it's not a bad map by design. Just played badly and the same way by most. 

As my #2 and 3 spot is atm Pilsen and Province. The last one like Emperor's border is there not due to the map design, but the way most play it. And you see the same fail constantly. 

View PostCeeb, on 02 January 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

Dont mind Paris, but Ensk and Mines need to be dropped from Tier 7+

Paris is "meh" tbh. It has the same issue all urban maps has, that the HT lane is a bottleneck, and the open field is played too passive by both teams too often. Even in a 6 vs 2. Tho, unlike most urban maps, middle gives you more of a bully playing field at times. 

Enks and Mines are fun maps, but as you said should IMO be limited off high tiers. As the way the hill is balanced vs if north wins it. Having tier X meds there with 445 view range is not helping. As south can't spot as effectively if they win it. As that's where the HT corer is by proxy. Unlike the south that needs to back down to see them along their wider hill line with cover. Nor is the speed we are about to see. Ensk is just to small on the 2 lane for super heavies. And you see 6-8 guns on E2 every game. But only 1 or 2 guns are used at the time as there is no room for that many to tank anything vs on tier 5. And the second the 1 and 3 lane gets pushed and flanked. They die vs less guns. I see it way too often on that map on either side on tier 8+. 

PauI #34 Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33310 battles
  • [ROLS] ROLS
Highway is a decent map, much better than mink and empire border trash we received recently

eekeeboo #35 Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 48298 battles

View Postjdc302, on 02 January 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

I have seen a lot of people on forum on different post say that mines needs to be changed. If you are playing encounter, northern spawn has the easiest way to get  the hill. If you are a french light on southern spawn and need to cross the water, you have NO chance of getting to the hill first. And you can only let the enemy dominate it. 

There's more to a playerbase than just the forums. There are more forums than just EU ones too. This is the downside to putting too much weight into one location and one area of feedback. 

Mines, in particular, was changed a few times based on not only feedback but stats too. 

View PostCeeb, on 02 January 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm the only one thats mentioned about these at Tier 10 :sceptic:

If you are the only one, that would be that too, but even if there were 100 people for example, what % of that is that vs the entire player base? Balancing is important for ALL players, not just a few %. 

View PostRaxipIx, on 02 January 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

So why is Mines still in the game?

Because mines has been reworked a few times and was found to improve statistically in layouts etc. 

View Postmarkthekiller, on 02 January 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

Wasn't Province removed for high tiers because it was too small? Then why is Ensk not? With decent view range you can spot enemies in the first 10 seconds of the game from your own base.

If I remember correctly going to the place to spot enemies in the first 10 seconds though is great for your team can be extremely lethal to you and will not result in a whole lot of incoming damage if you are spotted. 

For other replies, I hope people can see the way some people who prefer a certain play style can love maps and style that others loathe. 

divsmo #36 Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View Posteekeeboo, on 02 January 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

If you are the only one, that would be that too, but even if there were 100 people for example, what % of that is that vs the entire player base? Balancing is important for ALL players, not just a few %. 

But surely you can only take the opinions of those people that voice one?. Unless you send in game surveys out to every active player asking about rebalancing maps to suitable tiers? 

I mean my clan has 2 active members using these forums, but i know from using teamspeak and chatting to all the other members that at least 90% believe maps like mines and ensk should either be limited like widepark to tier 6 or updated to be made larger. 

It's not as though WG has made a particular effort to engage with the playerbase or else we wouldn't have seen some of the changes to the game that have made it worse rather than better.

Sfinski #37 Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 37814 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 02 January 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Because mines has been reworked a few times and was found to improve statistically in layouts etc. 

You do realize that even if the map plays statistically balanced etc. has no meaning if it's good or bad. The map is shiet. You will see it when blacklisting maps will come into the game and see most turn it off.

Xandania #38 Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44420 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View Postdivsmo, on 02 January 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

But surely you can only take the opinions of those people that voice one?. Unless you send in game surveys out to every active player asking about rebalancing maps to suitable tiers? 

I mean my clan has 2 active members using these forums, but i know from using teamspeak and chatting to all the other members that at least 90% believe maps like mines and ensk should either be limited like widepark to tier 6 or updated to be made larger. 

It's not as though WG has made a particular effort to engage with the playerbase or else we wouldn't have seen some of the changes to the game that have made it worse rather than better.

Well, WG did use surveys from time to time - last one I saw was after Frontlines ended. Pretty sure they do this randomly and don't announce it but they do gather data quite efficiently.

divsmo #39 Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostXandania, on 02 January 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Well, WG did use surveys from time to time - last one I saw was after Frontlines ended. Pretty sure they do this randomly and don't announce it but they do gather data quite efficiently.

Yeah i've filled 1 or 2 in myself over the years, but they don't seem to do it en mass as no one i talk to has ever had them or if they have they have been on different topics.

Just feels like they are quick to say what the playerbase wants without actually asking a big enough percentage of the people that actually play it.

I mean i can't imagine a time where the 3-5-7 template system they put in for mm would have been widely accepted by the players as just one example of many.

eekeeboo #40 Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 48298 battles

View Postdivsmo, on 02 January 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

This is true, and that's why it's important to use more than just opinions from a select % of the player base. Generally speaking, you don't have happy excited people wanting to share good things on the forums, that's just how the forums are. That's why data is used just as much to test how balanced or imbalanced a map is. There are surveys and opinions gathered on maps throughout the time of map analysis too. And one persons worse, is another persons awesome. 

View PostSfinski, on 02 January 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

You do realize that even if the map plays statistically balanced etc. has no meaning if it's good or bad. The map is shiet. You will see it when blacklisting maps will come into the game and see most turn it off.

That's true, but a player not liking or disliking doesn't make a map good or bad either. That's why a lot of sources of information are important. Generally heavy tank players love maps that light tank players hate. Arty players will hate city maps with a passion but love open maps etc. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users