What is the point of the Assault Mode?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

CyberRage #1 Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2124 battles
The defenders have such a huge advantage it's a joke, this gets even worse in random battles.

OreH75 #2 Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

Major

• Player
  • 52835 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF
Go to settings and disable Assault, problem solved.

Jigabachi #3 Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
You can always turn it off.

malairt #4 Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 28832 battles
  • [ROC] ROC

I have no idea what my win rate is in Assault; or indeed in Encounter.  Is it recorded somewhere?

Is there a non-random battle version of Assault?   i wasn't aware.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #5 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34085 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Defenders always have the advantage. Consider it a challenge.

kubawt112 #6 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Turn it off if you don't want it, though you technically can be put into the queue for the mode still (realistically not, the change was likely meant to enable creation of more GBs, and you queue up for standard mode regardless).

As for what the point is, well, I don't mind pushing against a bunch of campers as long as that is the objective. The attackers have to move in assault. In standard,  it often devolves into a waiting game. It's extremely frustrating to find yourself in situations where you can't make any plays - beyond forcing a draw.
The map design (spawn, cap circle) is more interesting than in standard. Also, the map pool is slightly more tolerable than in standard mode. Most maps are at the very least not worse in their non-standard mode. I'd love the possibility to turn off/deprioritize standard mode.
Of course, a more advanced mode (read: you generally can't camp as effectively) runs the risk of one team failing totally, but it's nice variation. Rather happy to see that even new maps like Empire's Border includes assault (and encounter).

(On EB you seem to have a good chance at winning if you can push through the eastern flank with superior numbers, and commit a couple to the middle near the cap to create some crossfire in case the defenders try to decap.)

View Postmalairt, on 03 January 2019 - 07:59 PM, said:

I have no idea what my win rate is in Assault; or indeed in Encounter.  Is it recorded somewhere?

Is there a non-random battle version of Assault?   i wasn't aware.

Team Battles, and probably some other mode too, include a 'double assault' mode. You can see it in the Team Training mode, it's called 'Assault/Defense' or something similar. The idea is to prevent a team from camping and locking down the base like you can do in standard battles. It doesn't always work, but I can see what they were trying to do.

Edited by kubawt112, 03 January 2019 - 08:25 PM.

Bordhaw #7 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14894 battles

View PostOreH75, on 03 January 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

Go to settings and disable Assault, problem solved.

Did that after the first week of playing. 

Traimi1 #8 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 732 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

Assault is the most dynamic and rewarding game mode by far his skill so if you're a good player or just like to play proactively, you should never disable it. Even if for the average player the defender is in advantage, for a good player the assault maps are probably the best and he will probably record some of his best stats in assault even as attacker.

In my opinion assault has a funny way of turning even pretty awful maps good. I hate Siegfried Line and Karelia in Standard mode but love them as assault. I even like the Empire's Border assault, even as attacker. Even in the much maligned Sand River assault before it was removed I always felt I did well and won most games even as attacker and I actually had fun playing it.

I always cringe when I see players complain endlessly about the corridor maps yet they insist on having only Standard ticked "because the other modes are so bad". Then as they are predictably being put into Minsk, Mountain Pass, Abbey, Paris, Pilsen, Tundra, Mannerheim Line and all the endless Standard only corridor maps, they whine how they are so unlucky and never get one of the two open maps remaining in the pool of 38 maps. This is of course very simple probability math and exactly what they are asking for but usually people don't want to hear it and expect the next map to be their Prokhorovka. And of course, once again feel they're being super unlucky after failing their 5.26% chance of rolling Prokhorovka or Malinovka and find themselves playing Cliff or Airfield. Just so unlucky.

I have noticed mostly players disable assault because they have a decent idea of how to play the Standard format and aren't willing to spend time to learn the Assault maps so they find it easier to disable the other game modes and keep playing the one game mode that guarantees them a consistent stream of bad maps. If you are a fairly good player or better, Assault is going to be the best and most dynamic game mode for you. Though part of the beauty of the game mode is that if you don't like it for whatever reason, you can disable it. I wish I could disable Standard.

Edited by Traimi1, 03 January 2019 - 08:40 PM.

gunslingerXXX #9 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12780 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Defender OP confirmed!

Wait... what?

wsatnutter #10 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 26449 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
in answer nothing

HassenderZerhacker #11 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31030 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostCyberRage, on 03 January 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

The defenders have such a huge advantage it's a joke, this gets even worse in random battles.

in theory yes... in practice, players are too stupid to just win the match.

what happens often is that the defending team will lemming to "conquer" the attackers' starting positions, attackers transform into defenders and shoot them to pieces...

:facepalm:

FrantisekBascovansky #12 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29675 battles

Ha...

Majority od players (even in high tiers) doesnt have a clue what is Assault mode about.

They are redline sniping when they should cap the base, or they are searching for (non existent) enemy base at the other side of the map when they are supposed to defend the base.

Rarely the players get what they should do.

But it is WG fault partly - there is no such a word about game modes in the bootcamp.

Traimi1 #13 Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 732 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 03 January 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

in theory yes... in practice, players are too stupid to just win the match.

what happens often is that the defending team will lemming to "conquer" the attackers' starting positions, attackers transform into defenders and shoot them to pieces...

:facepalm:

No, the reason why attackers on average lose more is because World of Tanks players are just plain [edited]. In Standard mode they have been generously rewarded for being bots who can't read minimap or adapt to dynamic gameplay. Then in assault 50% of the time(=when attacking) they are being put into a position where they have to use their brain. They generally fail and decide it's the game mode's fault.

Assault is though the best game mode for a good player to carry games.

Homer_J #14 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32362 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCyberRage, on 03 January 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

It exists to get people to look in the game options.  Then they will find they can turn it off.

jack_timber #15 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40279 battles

I rather like assault or encounter shame they got rid of Sand River assault....

Everyone to his own.

psychobear #16 Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19572 battles
  • [L3GND] L3GND
I loved Sand River in Assault mode, no matter if attacking or defending. And Erlenberg as well, before it was "reworked" into utter crap with the HD patch. Good going WG, what can i say...

RaptorAbt #17 Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 42865 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostCyberRage, on 03 January 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

Karelia - unless the "defending" team, rushes the A line (pinging "attack is best defence" & meets one heavy and stops/dies & no Lt "scouts" the middle.

Lakeville - HT's & LT's swarm the valley while a few MT act as Forlorn Hope in city with TD's sniping from middle road.

yeah - I turned it off, unless Platooning with my Clan "crutches"

Edited by RaptorAbt, 04 January 2019 - 01:31 PM.

malairt #18 Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 28832 battles
  • [ROC] ROC

View Postkubawt112, on 03 January 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

Team Battles, and probably some other mode too, include a 'double assault' mode. You can see it in the Team Training mode, it's called 'Assault/Defense' or something similar. The idea is to prevent a team from camping and locking down the base like you can do in standard battles. It doesn't always work, but I can see what they were trying to do.

My thanks - I didn't know that.

Rati_Festa #19 Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 49270 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Assault mode is as close to a real battle as you can get in WOT. Most conflicts in war are to gain a tactical/territorial advantage and assault emulates that. Just splitting into 2 teams of 15 and having a fight ( ie standard ) would rarely occur in real life. I prefer assault mode as a gaming experience over standard due to the challenge/objective.

I leave it on for fun, it problem affects my stats, I don't recall a method of looking at my stats in different modes though to check.

Maschinenkanone #20 Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44861 battles
  • [MBEV] MBEV

Variations in game modes are always welcome. I wish there would be even more.

The beauty of Attack mode is that it is using standard maps, yet creating a completely different terrain scenario.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users