Arad – A Non-Corridor City Map Proposal (With Pictures And Minimap)!

new map proposal city game play gameplay tactic tactics mode

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

grizly1973 #1 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

POPULAR

Hello everyone (and a happy new year)!

Today I’m going to present you something that I’ve been working on for quite some time (2 months of thinking & searching). It’s nothing else than what the title says: The Arad Map Proposal – A Non-Corridor City Map Proposal (With Pictures) – set in the early-mid 1970s era (just like Minsk) and offering interesting and unseen gameplay options for a city map (at least as of now, 3rd January 2019 – patch 1.3).

Without further ado, let’s get started with a pinch of history:

Why This City?

Now onto the layout itself:

Tidbits (props, buildings, feeling & atmosphere of the map):

Jump to gameplay if you're not interested in any of the buildings and props I propose for the map.

WARNING VERY LONG!

And now that you got the understanding on what is what, let's finally get to the specific tactics, spawn points and bases for each gamemode:

And to have a nice melodious end, here's the soundtrack proposal:

Communist content incoming

Thank you for reading! I hope you've found it interesting and I'm really eager to see what you all think of it! I may have envisioned it completely wrong and made it look good only in my mind or I may have actually envisioned something actually good or very good, I'll let you decide in the comments! I'd love to see suggestions and opinions on the overall balance of the map! I'm surprised there are no other map proposals such as mine, with details and illustrations and I hope this inspires some of you to do your own proposals! The more proposals we see, be them good or bad, the more we learn about map design and learn to provide useful feedback to WG to get better quality maps in the long run!

P.S.: I say it again, if you're good at making illustrations such as mine and wish to help, then feel free to contact me and do a team-up to get even better proposals in the following weeks (or months, depending on how busy I am). :P

P.P.S.: If you're just wondering, the writing of this article took me 7 hours.

EDIT: Added more pictures in the tidbits section, corrected a handful of grammar mistakes and added the soundtrack proposal in a new spoiler at the end.

EDIT 2: Added yet more pictures in the tidbits section and corrected the rest of the grammar mistakes and misspelled words. The text should be error-free now.

EDIT 3: Added just a few more pictures and fixed some broken links to other pictures (Flickr).

Feel free to check out my village map proposal, a more open yet still diverse historical map: http://forum.worldof...es-and-minimap/

Edited by grizly1973, 12 January 2019 - 12:26 PM.

The_Naa #2 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4407 battles
Dedication is allways a good sign, and I rather like the map layout of the map desing. :great:

grizly1973 #3 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostThe_Naa, on 03 January 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

Dedication is allways a good sign, and I rather like the map layout of the map desing. :great:

Do you think it's balanced? Anything you think should be changed? Keep in mind that if one team has an advantage or a building is really breaking the balance it could be removed or moved. Buildings could also be added where needed. I'm wishing people point out mistakes instead of just telling me it's trash or things like that. I bet I'll see such comments in a bit. :ohmy::trollface:

jack_timber #4 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36279 battles

Well done young grizzly fair amount of work gone into this.

Perhaps there could/should be a sticky pinned thingy thread for these suggestions.

Let's see what happens.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #5 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25438 battles

If this is a job application for map designer, you've got it.  :great:

Now, it needs rendering out and testing.

Because it'll be the testers that'll rip the map to shreds.

Initially, I feel the north spawn is too far south, I'd move it back a tad. It's too near the centre of the map, and pins the south team close to their own spawn.

Maybe pull it closer to '5', or, '8'.

However, great job. I must say, I'm impressed.

The_Naa #6 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4407 battles

View Postgrizly1973, on 03 January 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

Do you think it's balanced? Anything you think should be changed? Keep in mind that if one team has an advantage or a building is really breaking the balance it could be removed or moved. Buildings could also be added where needed. I'm wishing people point out mistakes instead of just telling me it's trash or things like that. I bet I'll see such comments in a bit. :ohmy::trollface:

Improvise, adapt, overcome. :izmena:

There are so many tanks in the game that it will not suit all of them but I can see my self having a great time in the top right corner of the map with my 59-Patton, so many corners :popcorn:

gunslingerXXX #7 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11974 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
Wow that is A LOT of work you've put in. I have to admit not having read it all (mainly looked at pictures ;)) but I admire your dedication!

grizly1973 #8 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 03 January 2019 - 10:31 PM, said:

If this is a job application for map designer, you've got it.  :great:

Now, it needs rendering out and testing.

Because it'll be the testers that'll rip the map to shreds.

Initially, I feel the north spawn is too far south, I'd move it back a tad. It's too near the centre of the map, and pins the south team close to their own spawn.

Maybe pull it closer to '5', or, '8'.

However, great job. I must say, I'm impressed.

I'd love to work as a map designer. However I'm just 16.

I realised that just after I have finished drawing out the illustrations. My biggest concern is the possibility of the northern team to get to the central block of tower blocks before the south team has a chance to set foot in the immediate area. Good point there! :great:

Homer_J #9 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30786 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Well I think having the northern base halfway down the map in standard mode is wrong.  You basically take anything North of that out of play.

And how is it not a corridor map?  Or do you consider Ensk and Himmelsdorf not to be corridor maps?

grizly1973 #10 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostThe_Naa, on 03 January 2019 - 10:32 PM, said:

Improvise, adapt, overcome. :izmena:

There are so many tanks in the game that it will not suit all of them but I can see my self having a great time in the top right corner of the map with my 59-Patton, so many corners :popcorn:

The high amount of corners is the trademark feature of this map. The whole eastern side is simply medium tanks' HEAVEN! At first when I decided to make a map out of this city I thought that there were too many corners. But only then I realised that the players are asking WG to add more corners (spaced buildings really) so I decided to go for it. It's my first map proposal, and it's not even the most original one. I have something even more special up my sleeve. I'd love to have a little talk with the WG map designers some day. :popcorn:
20:42 Added after 4 minutes

View PostHomer_J, on 03 January 2019 - 10:35 PM, said:

Well I think having the northern base halfway down the map in standard mode is wrong.  You basically take anything North of that out of play.

And how is it not a corridor map?  Or do you consider Ensk and Himmelsdorf not to be corridor maps?

Yes I've mentioned that that's an issue in a reply above. It can easily be fixed by putting that spawn further north and a little more to the west.

I'd love to see a place on Ensk and Himmelsdorf that offers this amount of flanking potential. I consider both of them good maps, but mine is something a little different. Mine has only 1 completly unaccessible block, and that's right in the middle of a place that has many buildings separated from each other. There isn't anything similar in-game as of now.

Homer_J #11 Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30786 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postgrizly1973, on 03 January 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

I'd love to see a place on Ensk and Himmelsdorf that offers this amount of flanking potential. I consider both of them good maps, but mine is something a little different. Mine has only 1 completly unaccessible block, and that's right in the middle of a place that has many buildings separated from each other. There isn't anything similar in-game as of now.

I could take a picture of the Ensk map and draw just as many lines on it for possible flanking routes as you have on yours.

But when you put 15 enemy tanks on there most of the lines become unusable.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but as soon as you put two teams on there it's going to become a series of corridors.

I'd love it as arty, so many places for people to feel they are safe muhahahahahah!

grizly1973 #12 Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostHomer_J, on 03 January 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

I could take a picture of the Ensk map and draw just as many lines on it for possible flanking routes as you have on yours.

But when you put 15 enemy tanks on there most of the lines become unusable.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but as soon as you put two teams on there it's going to become a series of corridors.

I'd love it as arty, so many places for people to feel they are safe muhahahahahah!

True point, but given that this map has so many entrances into building blocks and so many flanks-in-flanks (look at the western side), I consider it impossible for 15 tanks to simply face each other along points on the map or get in a situation in which all are fighting each other over the same entry to a particular place/block. Ensk funnels all the heavy tanks through, what... 2 safe openings. The other 2 are guarded by the TDs. Given that heavies almost never go field, you have all these tanks bottlenecking on 2 entrances to the neighborhooding block. Meanwhile, on Arad, there are 10 openings for tanks to progress through (and that's only for the western flank & the central block). The other flank (eastern) has 7 openings (keep in mind that you can also move along both sides of the bridge). 8 if we count the bridge. That's a total of 18 possible routes to take in the centre clash area. There are only 15 tanks on one team. There's no way that 15 tanks will guard 18 entries. Even if they do position themselves to be able to get shots on more than one, a single tank guarding more than 1 entry won't hold for long. It will get flanked. So, it's safe to assume that no matter how you spread your tanks on this map YOU WILL GET FLANKED no matter what. The winning team is the one that manages to repulse these flanking attempts.

Thank you for making me better explain the gameplay value of the map. I feel like everyone who reads these replies gets an even better picture of how the map works out.

Edited by grizly1973, 03 January 2019 - 10:13 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #13 Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 8191 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
Well, that's a lot more dedication than I had expected from this thread. 10/10.

The_Naa #14 Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4407 battles

View Postgrizly1973, on 03 January 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

YOU WILL GET FLANKED

No you.

I will bring my brother and he will tear you a New Bhind, check mate.

Hold on a moment... 

You dont happen to have a brother or a friend do you? 

Well if you, do good for you, but I will flank him so all 4 of us can circle around a house shooting each others like madmans. :teethhappy:

Back to the topic: I do think auto loaders will do well in these kinda scenarios as they they dont have to see the enemy any longer than 4 seconds to out DPS a regular tank and then Fall back to reload, and if the enemy does not understand to move to cover and does not run after the autoloader when hes done firing, auto loaders might do well.  but on the other hand there are so many corners so it is possible to close the distanse fast enough to make autoloaders bursts next to useless if not keeping a eye on the minimap. 

Edited by The_Naa, 04 January 2019 - 02:18 PM.

Jamadeus #15 Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19637 battles
  • [LOC-A] LOC-A

Bloody good work. I don't know if it's balanced or feasible but A+ for effort. when are you going to start on the rendering?

Alabamatick #16 Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:18 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31849 battles

I applaud your efforts, that's alot of work, so 10/10 for effort and presentation

i don't have the concentration / patience to look at / read it all however, but well done

......but, no offence, it's maps like that, that're the main reason i stopped playing and definitely the main reason i now only play Frontlines

And dude, 7hrs wtf :rolleyes:

Edited by Alabamatick, 04 January 2019 - 12:21 AM.

Balc0ra #17 Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 69185 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

So that map layout I suspect that's more from today then the 70's? Tbh it looks way to unbalanced to even work or to be fun for most classes. It's like you took the 1-3 lane on Ensk and made it a km wide. 

+1 for effort tho. 

grizly1973 #18 Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostBalc0ra, on 04 January 2019 - 01:21 AM, said:

So that map layout I suspect that's more from today then the 70's? Tbh it looks way to unbalanced to even work or to be fun for most classes. It's like you took the 1-3 lane on Ensk and made it a km wide. 

+1 for effort tho. 

Well, more buildings were taken down since the 70s than were built up. In present, there's only a big field where the central factory was, and part of the Astra Vagoane factory is a Lidl sotre now. And an entire industrial district was mowed down. You can see part of that district in the top-left corner of the map, unaccessible.

As for balance, while I get that it is similar to Ensk, it allows for many more moves without having to get yourself in the face of TDs that much. On Ensk all the heavies are forced through 1 passage (comprised of 2 entrances) and have no real way to flank unless they want to get blown to bits by TDs. This map encourages TDs to play more corners peek-a-boo-style in coordination with the team. Camping won't get TDs any shots whatsoever unless the enemy destroy everything and push out of the blocks. And while we're still at Ensk, look at the Eastern side. You have a bridge that, if secured, lands you shots on hald of the map. That's a lot of area coverage for a single strip of the map. Mediums will have to fight with other mediums head-on and flank through the eastern suburb, alongside with supporting TDs and LTs. I can see coordinated platoons of mediums dominate this map and the fight for the bridge. It's going to be a key position for winning the game. I'd love to see games be played on this map and get it fine-tuned for implementation! :honoring:

07:44 Added after 4 minutes

View PostAlabamatick, on 04 January 2019 - 01:18 AM, said:

I applaud your efforts, that's alot of work, so 10/10 for effort and presentation

i don't have the concentration / patience to look at / read it all however, but well done

......but, no offence, it's maps like that, that're the main reason i stopped playing and definitely the main reason i now only play Frontlines

And dude, 7hrs wtf :rolleyes:

Well, this map is supposed to be different to the other city maps in the positive way! Take a little moment and please read the gameplay section (last spoiler). You will get to see that it's an enviroment that allows all classes to do their thing optimally. While there's some problems with the noth spawn in standard randoms, that could be easily fixed if we're seriously talking about game implementation. Please take a look at the proposed tactics and let me know what you think! :P

Yes dude, 7 hours. Mainly searching for pictures all around the web. You will see some very specific stuff in the very long spoiler. It wasn't easy to find all these pictures. This would be a very visually unique map, just like Minsk, with well over 90% of the assets specifically made for this map only. That's something I want to illustrate as good as I can. :B

wsatnutter #19 Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 25909 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
10/10 for effort in some ways it reminds me of  a version of Port but a lot more denser well done Op

grizly1973 #20 Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21679 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostJamadeus, on 03 January 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

Bloody good work. I don't know if it's balanced or feasible but A+ for effort. when are you going to start on the rendering?

I'd love to start rendering it right now, but sadly, I'm not the WG map team. I'd love them to see it and share their opinion, even if they won't implement it (that would make me feel like I wasted a lot of time on this though). I honestly think that some things could be learnt from this, even though they are professionals. Like hey, if a 16 yr old can propose this and have it generally well received (until now at least) I'm sure the well-trained and experienced WG team could do waaaay better. Empire's Border, however, is a heap of trash and I have no idea how they thought it was a good idea. That thing needs a serious rework.
07:51 Added after 2 minutes

View Postwsatnutter, on 04 January 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

10/10 for effort in some ways it reminds me of  a version of Port but a lot more denser well done Op

I haven't realised it until now, but it does indeed feel similar. It has a bridge, it has many spaced buildings, it has lots of rails (although not crossing the center of the map)... Given that Port was a generally liked map, I think this is also a reasonable proposal. I would like more players to make map proposals, even if they're only hand-made sketches instead of pages & pages of pics and text. We could all learn from each other. You have a lot more to learn from a bad map proposal than from a good one, just saying.

Also tagged with new, map, proposal, city, game, play, gameplay, tactic, tactics, mode

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users