Arad – A Non-Corridor City Map Proposal (With Pictures And Minimap)!

new map proposal city game play gameplay tactic tactics mode

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Anna_Kalashnikova #61 Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13018 battles
  • [GOH] GOH

View Postgrizly1973, on 03 January 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

H

wow.

That was... 1 constructive feedback :ohmy:

I feeld bad for entering this thread expecting the next gameplayforum "i have a good idea, no one ever had before"-thread....

Spoiler

grizly1973 #62 Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostAnna_Kalashnikova, on 07 January 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

wow.

That was... 1 constructive feedback :ohmy:

I feeld bad for entering this thread expecting the next gameplayforum "i have a good idea, no one ever had before"-thread....

Spoiler

What? Did your page not load properly or is this some kind of joke I don't get?

Anna_Kalashnikova #63 Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13018 battles
  • [GOH] GOH

View Postgrizly1973, on 07 January 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

What? Did your page not load properly or is this some kind of joke I don't get?

No, i'm honest. Most of the "XY proposal" "[IDEA]" threads are made without thinking about it and no content at all. So i came here for a good laugh. But you put a lot of effort and inquiry in this map, even with many historical pictures.

I like it.

grizly1973 #64 Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostAnna_Kalashnikova, on 07 January 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

No, i'm honest. Most of the "XY proposal" "[IDEA]" threads are made without thinking about it and no content at all. So i came here for a good laugh. But you put a lot of effort and inquiry in this map, even with many historical pictures.

I like it.

Oh! I saw the quote just saying "H" and thought the forum couldn't handle the large post on your machine. Thank you!

Do you think the map is at least somewhat balanced (keep in mind the north spawn in standard randoms needs to be moved further to the north-west)? I'm really happy people like my proposal. My next one will be a more open map with many flanking options (layout will be easier to understand though), just like this one.

Should WG consider implementing this very proposal or at least learn from it? I've indirectly given them good feedback on such a "radical" map through everybody's likes and positive comments.

Anna_Kalashnikova #65 Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13018 battles
  • [GOH] GOH

View Postgrizly1973, on 07 January 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Oh! I saw the quote just saying "H" and thought the forum couldn't handle the large post on your machine. Thank you!

Do you think the map is at least somewhat balanced (keep in mind the north spawn in standard randoms needs to be moved further to the north-west)? I'm really happy people like my proposal. My next one will be a more open map with many flanking options (layout will be easier to understand though), just like this one.

Should WG consider implementing this very proposal or at least learn from it? I've indirectly given them good feedback on such a "radical" map through everybody's likes and positive comments.

i don't see any basical problems. Wether the map is balanced or not... Hm, difficult to say at that stage. It's often just a few bushes, corners or other details, that need to be testet. It could be too complicated for many players, with all these corridors, but i think it's interesting.

P.S.: I didn't want to quote the complete Post, because it would requiere a lot of scrolling (and data) when you accidentally open a spoiler on a phone. Removing the complete text sometimes makes it impossible posting something below the quote box... :)

Edited by Anna_Kalashnikova, 07 January 2019 - 12:02 PM.

arthurwellsley #66 Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 52980 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Good work OP.

Nice effort.

But it does look a little like Port;

although 830 x 830 Port was not a large map.

The map I would like to see in the game = Khalkhin Gol.

This was a real battle fought by Zhukov in August 1939, when he achieved a double envelopement. His central units drove into the Japanese and engaged them, while his two flanking units of three armoured brigades, and two mechanised brigades on the left and right wings met behind the Japanese centre and encircled them. The USSR armour met at Nomonhan village, and the Japanese 23rd Division was captured. The Japanese 23rd Division tried to break out on 27th August 1939 and failed. The Japanese refused to surrender despite being surrounded, and so were subjected to artillery and aerial bombardment.

As a battle map ingame Khalkhin Gol would look similar to Prokhovorka, but instead of a the central ridge would have a river with banks, and the railway line would be a further river with banks (that river was called Holsten in real life). There is a hill on one side of the battlefield (which does not seem to get named in the West but is probably in the Soviet archives).

Edited by arthurwellsley, 07 January 2019 - 01:41 PM.

grizly1973 #67 Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

The map I would like to see in the game = Khalkhin Gol.

This was a real battle fought by Zhukov in August 1939, when he achieved a double envelopement. His central units drove into the Japanese and engaged them, while his two flanking units of three armoured brigades, and two mechanised brigades on the left and right wings met behind the Japanese centre and encircled them. The USSR armour met at Nomonhan village, and the Japanese 23rd Division was captured. The Japanese 23rd Division tried to break out on 27th August 1939 and failed. The Japanese refused to surrender despite being surrounded, and so were subjected to artillery and aerial bombardment.

As a battle map ingame Khalkhin Gol would look similar to Prokhovorka, but instead of a the central ridge would have a river with banks, and the railway line would be a further river with banks (that river was called Holsten in real life). There is a hill on one side of the battlefield (which does not seem to get named in the West but is probably in the Soviet archives).

There's already a Khalkin Gol map proposal out there, so there's no need for me to make another one:

https://malsmaps.wor...-8-khalkin-gol/

Check it out!

etody77 #68 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 69744 battles
  • [RO-3V] RO-3V

View Postgrizly1973, on 06 January 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

This map (70s era) could be the perfect natural habitat for hypothetical Romanian high-tier tanks, it they will ever be introduced. 

A Td line, original tanks, the other are french, or russian

grizly1973 #69 Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View Postetody77, on 07 January 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

A Td line, original tanks, the other are french, or russian

I see you're a man of culture.

The TAA awaits the WoT battlefield indeed:

But a medium line could be added aswell, with the hightiers being similar to Russian vehicles. Yes, similar, not identical. I'm not getting into tech tree lines yet, even though I have some ideas. I'll keep focusing on maps for the time being.

TeessideTintin #70 Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9455 battles

I seem to remember having some city maps which were decent to play with some variation and flow towards end game because they weren't pure corridor but weren't they removed to "avoid surprise flanking"? Maybe my mind is imagining this as I cannot think of anything this game needs more than an ability to be able to surprise flank.

Anyway, good effort OP.

grizly1973 #71 Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostTeessideTintin, on 07 January 2019 - 08:12 PM, said:

I seem to remember having some city maps which were decent to play with some variation and flow towards end game because they weren't pure corridor but weren't they removed to "avoid surprise flanking"? Maybe my mind is imagining this as I cannot think of anything this game needs more than an ability to be able to surprise flank.

Anyway, good effort OP.

Thank you!

Maybe WG's eyes will open this year, given the problematic situation they're in.

mystikro #72 Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32014 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
This map looks similar to Port

Edited by mystikro, 07 January 2019 - 10:27 PM.

Pansenmann #73 Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35145 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmystikro, on 07 January 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

It does, but only a bit - port doesnt have that many buildings.

Speaking of, I would love to see port returned in a different fashion, maybe a 1x2km map along the railroad.

I was also impressed to see the dedication for ambient research in this thread. hat's off! :medal:

grizly1973 #74 Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View Postmystikro, on 07 January 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

Looks similar but is supposed to feel unique, like no other map that ever existed. The "cleanup" is going to be similar to how it was on Port (i.e. not easy, a continuation of the actual fight) but the area where the main battles take place will be nothing like anything we've ever had in the game as of now.
12:35 Added after 2 minutes

View PostPansenmann, on 07 January 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

It does, but only a bit - port doesnt have that many buildings.

Speaking of, I would love to see port returned in a different fashion, maybe a 1x2km map along the railroad.

I was also impressed to see the dedication for ambient research in this thread. hat's off! :medal:

Thank you!

A 1x2 km map sounds interesting, but spreading 15 tanks over such a wide distance may not make for the best player experience. Also, the minimap would require to be made like the Frontline one (i.e. only visible when pressing Tab). Would like to see such a map, preferably an open map of this proportion.

SaintMaddenus #75 Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36606 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posteekeeboo, on 04 January 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

It's great to see good work and well thought out ideas, the first thing I saw when I saw the map was Port (I see a few others saw the same as well).

I'm not saying that this will be adopted, involved or in any way put up and taken further. I just wanted to take the time to thank you personally for the time, effort and work you put in to this and I very much appreciate it.

Here's an Idea for you, run a competition for the best player designed map.  Have a thread like this and the map with the most PLAYER votes wins and you make it.   You pay the player off in 360 days of gold for the rights for WG to own that map.   very cheap option.  If you get submissions of the quality above you've got a LOT of the work done for you, very cheaply.    You could even win Kudos for listening to players.

"I would happily give my whole idea to WG for free "   Shhh ;) 

grizly1973 #76 Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 08 January 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Here's an Idea for you, run a competition for the best player designed map.  Have a thread like this and the map with the most PLAYER votes wins and you make it.   You pay the player off in 360 days of gold for the rights for WG to own that map.   very cheap option.  If you get submissions of the quality above you've got a LOT of the work done for you, very cheaply.    You could even win Kudos for listening to players.

While a year of premium account would be a fair trade for a fully thought-out map, I'd still much rather have the power to get proposals directly to the teams responsible for content production and analysis. If I'd have that power you would see many more maps, new mini-branches, a few new unique customization options (that I strongly believe you haven't ever thought about) and a new season of personal missions with reward vehicles that would be a lot more unique both in gameplay and mechanics. As you can see, I think in the interest of the conusmer (i.e. players) instead of the financial side. While this mindset is good for us, for a company it can and usually is detrimental.

SaintMaddenus #77 Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36606 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Of course, that would be a great thing for you to do and I wish you all the best for it, follow your dream and work towards it. 

grizly1973 #78 Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21779 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 08 January 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

Of course, that would be a great thing for you to do and I wish you all the best for it, follow your dream and work towards it. 

The chances of it actually hapening are extremly low. However, I'd like to see how this proposal gets received by Wg and what eekeeboo will state here when he finds out how it's going. If it goes well and reaches an advanced state (even if implementation won't happen), I will happily keep on making such proposals, regarding all the topics I covered in my previous reply.

Thanks for the good wishes, but it's the community's response that matters more. If it's positive, it's more likely WG will be aware of what I'm doing.

By the looks of it, this map has very positive feedback from the players. I really hope it gets to the actual game as a Tier VI-X map. :honoring:

fighting_falcon93 #79 Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 32161 battles

First of all, great job with the suggestion. Regardless if I agree or disagree, I still think that you've done a great job and put in a lot of effort into the suggestion. +1 for that. And sorry that I made you wait so long for my reply, but I've had a lot to do.

When it comes to the map, in my opinion, I think there's 2 main problems:

1. It's a city map. In my opinion, city maps should be avoided since they create this close quarters brawling fest even if they're not full of corridors. This tunes down the spotting side and sniping side of the game. It makes heavily armored tanks even stronger, while tanks that depend on their camo/spotting/accuracy a lot worse. City maps also creates these areas where different classes go and have their own separated game rather than working together with other classes. For example, on your map, HTs will rush into mid because that's where the cover is, while TDs and LTs will rush the left side forest because that's where they can play the spotting/sniping game. In my opinion, this is not good, all classes should work in the same area, but from different distances, and help each other out instead of having their own separate battles. You've also used very large chunks of buildings, and since these blocks are not destructable, they limit flanking possibilites a lot.

2. A lot of the map area is unimportant and/or unusable. This is because you use quite large blocks of cover, for example in the north-east part of the map. Also, the way you've placed the bases in the standard game mode makes most of the northern part of the map completely irrelevant. In the start of the game, both teams will fight for the mid, and by the time the northern team gets pushed that far north, their base will propably be capped, not to mention that they won't have many tanks left to fight. In my opinion, the best base setup is either to have each teams base in the opposite corner of the map or to make a neutral base in the middle of the map.

Good luck on the upcoming maps and I hope that the next map will not be an urban environment aswell :P

eekeeboo #80 Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

English Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 46125 battles

View PostSaintMaddenus, on 08 January 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

I mentioned previously why it's difficult to introduce player generated maps, not least because planning one doesn't mean it generates well in 3D but also because of royalties and in terms of IP rights and ownership. 

It's an interesting idea and I will see what happens, but based on what I saw recently with map tactics and tips, I have little faith with mostly people using paint to put big red squares around an island saying "arty spots" and all the real tanks meet in the middle :D 

Also tagged with new, map, proposal, city, game, play, gameplay, tactic, tactics, mode

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users