Are the World of Tanks soundtracks copyrighted ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Koudwater #1 Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15096 battles
  • [BOB-D] BOB-D

Are the World of Tanks battle Soundtracks copyrighted or public domain? 

Can wot videos on YouTube with world of tanks soundtrack playing during the battle be demonetized or hit with copyright violations in the now or in the foreseable future? 

Thanks for your replies. 

eekeeboo #2 Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

EU Video Content Manager

• WG Staff
  • 47034 battles
They are copyrighted, but as per the ToS and EULA you have the right to use them under the fair use policy. As long as you do not try to claim them as your own or sell them as your own. You should be able to find these guidelines in the EULA and the legal section of the website that outlines the fair use policy that WG has over such materials. 

SuedKAT #3 Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Even though as eekeeboo stated above you have the right to use them under the fair use policy I'd avoid using them anyhow since Youtube is a minefield when it comes things like these, as an example I uploaded a short clip of WoT and had the music playing, it resulted in 1 copyright troll and one major corporation (Nintendo) trying to claim rights to my clip. There are plenty of people/corporations that go around and copyright claim everything they see and as a small channel you often don't have the time, knowledge and power to fight it even though you might have all the rights on your side. I would recommend going to Youtube Audio Library, just login to your channel, go to the creator studio, scroll down to "create" and then "audio library" and use the free music there instead, or just google your way to something similar.

Edit: Here is my clip if your interested: https://www.youtube....h?v=GRLbDrqknFY

Edited by SuedKAT, 04 January 2019 - 05:19 PM.

m1x_angelico #4 Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24778 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

View PostSuedKAT, on 04 January 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

Even though as eekeeboo stated above you have the right to use them under the fair use policy I'd avoid using them anyhow since Youtube is a minefield when it comes things like these, as an example I uploaded a short clip of WoT and had the music playing, it resulted in 1 copyright troll and one major corporation (Nintendo) trying to claim rights to my clip. There are plenty of people/corporations that go around and copyright claim everything they see and as a small channel you often don't have the time, knowledge and power to fight it even though you might have all the rights on your side. I would recommend going to Youtube Audio Library, just login to your channel, go to the creator studio, scroll down to "create" and then "audio library" and use the free music there instead, or just google your way to something similar.

Edit: Here is my clip if your interested: https://www.youtube....h?v=GRLbDrqknFY

Nice defense :) You should have called it -"This is Sparta!!"

There is actually a lot of guides and help on the internet to help when such copyright trolling thingy happens. I guess those who post on youtube should educate themselves just in case.

Edited by m1x_angelico, 05 January 2019 - 04:01 AM.

Balc0ra #5 Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72848 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostSuedKAT, on 04 January 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

I've had a few claims from some Russian channels on some WOT videos, inc for WG owned WOT music as they said. Never from WG. Those strikes usually fall flat after 14 days, as none of them have done a counter to youtube to show they own anything.

Tho how did Nintendo find a way to your WOT video? Even then you can counter it to youtube and say they don't own anything if that's the case. I've never gotten a strike from a major corporation like that. But a mate of mine did. And even with a channel with 500 subscribers with no backing or major support like other bigger channels in cases like this, he did contact youtube and said they did not own anything with a few simple proofs. Turns out it was the automatic system that did it. Not Ubisoft directly that did strike him in his case. And that was vs a WOWP video with the original music playing.

Heck I've seen people get strikes from Nintendo on the automated system with videos talking about a Nintendo game. With no clips from it, no music from the game or anything owned by Nintendo. Just them talking in front of a camera with DRM free music that so many youtube channels do give for free. But the automated system went for the tile. 

SuedKAT #6 Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postm1x_angelico, on 05 January 2019 - 04:01 AM, said:

Nice defense :) You should have called it -"This is Sparta!!"

There is actually a lot of guides and help on the internet to help when such copyright trolling thingy happens. I guess those who post on youtube should educate themselves just in case.

Hehe yeah it sure felt like it, originally I was there to shoot at the Jap HT, but then all of a sudden it felt like there were tanks everywhere!

True and I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, but just that if you don't have the knowledge about how to do so you can be in for a headache to deal with things like these, especially since Youtube ain't exactly known for being on the creators side at all.

View PostBalc0ra, on 05 January 2019 - 04:54 AM, said:

I've had a few claims from some Russian channels on some WOT videos, inc for WG owned WOT music as they said. Never from WG. Those strikes usually fall flat after 14 days, as none of them have done a counter to youtube to show they own anything.

Tho how did Nintendo find a way to your WOT video? Even then you can counter it to youtube and say they don't own anything if that's the case. I've never gotten a strike from a major corporation like that. But a mate of mine did. And even with a channel with 500 subscribers with no backing or major support like other bigger channels in cases like this, he did contact youtube and said they did not own anything with a few simple proofs. Turns out it was the automatic system that did it. Not Ubisoft directly that did strike him in his case. And that was vs a WOWP video with the original music playing.

Heck I've seen people get strikes from Nintendo on the automated system with videos talking about a Nintendo game. With no clips from it, no music from the game or anything owned by Nintendo. Just them talking in front of a camera with DRM free music that so many youtube channels do give for free. But the automated system went for the tile. 

Apart from the obvious copyright trolls out there I suspect as you mention that most strikes are handed down by automatic systems, but I'm not sure how Nintendo found anything in that video to claim even if it was an automatic system at work. I have however been apart of when the ones making the strike puts up a fight so to speak even though you know you own the rights, for example it wasn't that long ago we all gathered over the screen to look at someone claiming to own the rights to the products and services we upload to our companies official Youtube channel. I'm fairly certain you know where I work so I don't understand how they thought it was a good idea to do what they did, but in the end it took 6 weeks before everything was resolved. All I'm saying though is that if you don't know how to deal with it and if the ones claiming ownership on what you have all the rights in the world to put up a bit of a fight it can be hard as a small channel to not get affected by it, especially if you monetize the videos and rely on the income from them.

I'm also fairly certain that I know a couple of the ones getting stuck by Nintendo that you speak about since plenty of the videos I watch have comments from Balc0ra gaming :)

Balc0ra #7 Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72848 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostSuedKAT, on 06 January 2019 - 04:01 AM, said:

I'm fairly certain you know where I work so I don't understand how they thought it was a good idea to do what they did, but in the end it took 6 weeks before everything was resolved. All I'm saying though is that if you don't know how to deal with it and if the ones claiming ownership on what you have all the rights in the world to put up a bit of a fight it can be hard as a small channel to not get affected by it, especially if you monetize the videos and rely on the income from them.

​Yeah that's why most do it too. Because it halts monetizeation at the same time, even when it gets auto resolved after 14 days. Tho I've seen a few try to strike the people that own the content they claim they own. I've never seen or heard that done to companies etc. That seems like a dumb idea. But again I suspect the monitezation still works the same way until resolved then to. So by dragging it out etc, he can get more out of it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users