Player Suicide(mostly SPG) - It's Ridiculous Now

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 30631 battles

Guys,

WG devs. Normally when someone has a rant it's at a rare thing and the question is asked "and this happens you every battle??" to shut that argument down but with enemy(or team if lost) arty they is 1 or 2 doing almost every battle it's disgusting and it needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.

It's currently the ultimate in selfish class of tanks. They spent the entire battle dropping nukes on targets 100% risk free practically from deep redline and behind cover, having all the fun they can and then once it's clear the battle is lost they suicide... it's pathetically selfish and up there with their ability to do team damage with more slack than a normal tank which would turn blue and it really needs to be addressed.

The solution? Simple, treat it like team damage. The odd rare suicide can be by accident it happens all of us but if you're a regular offender then just like team damage you should get a warning and turn blue etc just as quickly as team damage or TK etc. Unfortunately this suicide attitude is rampant and not just limited to SPG though they are typically the mot guilty. I had a battle where not 1 but 3 guys suicide it's really really annoying and it's making the gaming experience really bad tbh

Homer_J #2 Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32362 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

A dead enemy is a dead enemy.  I don't care how it happens.

And AFAIK the exp still gets distributed to the team since team EXP depends on how complete the victory is.  i.e. how many of them vs you are left.

The only ones losing out are the suiciders.  They miss a chance to at least get some ramming damage and they pay for full repair costs including modules and their crew all die so get reduced exp.

Element6 #3 Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31695 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

If you ask enough players and sum up the answers you will find that every single aspect of the entire game, down to a certain bush or a certain rock on a given map, is ridiculous. And it goes beyond the game too, players from certain nations are ridiculous, the game developer is ridiculous. I tell you, every aspect of reality is ridiculous, if you ask enough people. It would help if people stopped using the strongest word for every little complaint they had though...then it would all become much better in an instant. Then reality could go from ridiculous to slightly annoying overnight.

Dark Helmet can still fly at ludicrous speeds though...

WoT_RU_Doing #4 Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57826 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostTungstenHitman, on 04 January 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Guys,

WG devs. Normally when someone has a rant it's at a rare thing and the question is asked "and this happens you every battle??" to shut that argument down but with enemy(or team if lost) arty they is 1 or 2 doing almost every battle it's disgusting and it needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later.

It's currently the ultimate in selfish class of tanks. They spent the entire battle dropping nukes on targets 100% risk free practically from deep redline and behind cover, having all the fun they can and then once it's clear the battle is lost they suicide... it's pathetically selfish and up there with their ability to do team damage with more slack than a normal tank which would turn blue and it really needs to be addressed.

The solution? Simple, treat it like team damage. The odd rare suicide can be by accident it happens all of us but if you're a regular offender then just like team damage you should get a warning and turn blue etc just as quickly as team damage or TK etc. Unfortunately this suicide attitude is rampant and not just limited to SPG though they are typically the mot guilty. I had a battle where not 1 but 3 guys suicide it's really really annoying and it's making the gaming experience really bad tbh

With all due respect, I think this is total ****. I see all classes of tank suicide, very often as soon as the counter stops and the battle starts, Definitely not only arty, and you shouldn't let your personal issues cloud your vision of what actually happens in the game..

However, I've posted on the same subject in the past, and made the same suggestion for a solution. Unfortunately the defense seems to be "but if I want to suicide, it's my choice", or "but you can't implement a punishment system because I might accidentally drown 3 times in 50 battles and get banned". Personally I'd welcome such a system.

psychobear #5 Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:06 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19572 battles
  • [L3GND] L3GND

View PostHomer_J, on 04 January 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

A dead enemy is a dead enemy.  I don't care how it happens.

And AFAIK the exp still gets distributed to the team since team EXP depends on how complete the victory is.  i.e. how many of them vs you are left.

The only ones losing out are the suiciders.  They miss a chance to at least get some ramming damage and they pay for full repair costs including modules and their crew all die so get reduced exp.

Yeah it's all cool, especially when you're on a mission that requires you to kill or damage SPG's and they simply drown before you can get to them,*edited*on you through the whole battle from completely safety. Nothing wrong there at all, everything's just fine and peachy, working as intendedTM.

Edited by NickMustaine, 05 January 2019 - 07:19 PM.
Inappropriate remarks

Homer_J #6 Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32362 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postpsychobear, on 04 January 2019 - 10:06 PM, said:

Yeah it's all cool, especially when you're on a mission that requires you to kill or damage SPG's and they simply drown before you can get to them,

Or someone else gets them.

That's the missions which are the problem.  And if you want to kill arty there is an easy way, play arty.  You can even get them as they try to drown.

Archaean #7 Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16031 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 04 January 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

With all due respect, I think this is total ****. I see all classes of tank suicide, very often as soon as the counter stops and the battle starts, Definitely not only arty, and you shouldn't let your personal issues cloud your vision of what actually happens in the game..

However, I've posted on the same subject in the past, and made the same suggestion for a solution. Unfortunately the defense seems to be "but if I want to suicide, it's my choice", or "but you can't implement a punishment system because I might accidentally drown 3 times in 50 battles and get banned". Personally I'd welcome such a system.

Just because you don't do it doesn't mean other arty players don't do it either. And arty players tend to suicide more often because they survive the longest. It's not the arty that is the issue here but the players themselves.

Edited by Archaean, 04 January 2019 - 11:23 PM.

WoT_RU_Doing #8 Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57826 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostArchaean, on 04 January 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

Just because you don't do it doesn't mean other arty players don't do it either. And arty players tend to suicide more often because they survive the longest. It's not the arty that is the issue here but the players themselves.

I didn't say anything about whether I do it (I don't). But I see TDs and mediums suicide more often than I see SPGs do it. Mostly, so called "better players", who swear at everyone else for lack of skill, then kill themselves by drowning, crashing or yolo'ing straight into the enemy team. I blame in-game XVM stats for that, but like I say, I'd like to see a punishment system introduced. If people press battle, they should be in it until the battle ends, not killing themselves because they can't be arsed to play anymore.

Del059 #9 Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34077 battles
  • [REBRN] REBRN
Yep my experience on drowners is that it is usually lights and mediums, arty comes a poor third.

Renesco #10 Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 25094 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD
There's nothing wrong with drowning, a lost battle is a lost battle and your time is more valuable than ingame credits which are pretty much for nothing. I drown myself every 5'th battle in the current year, I don't have any regrets.

M1tchy #11 Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:13 AM

Major

• Player
  • 35244 battles
Platoons are my hated suiciders. They lose their buddies, so suicide by yoloing/crashing/faking just so they can play with their dumb friends.If that happens early on, then the team loses 2 or 3 players quickly.

spamhamstar #12 Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:24 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 64313 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostDel059, on 05 January 2019 - 03:20 AM, said:

Yep my experience on drowners is that it is usually lights and mediums, arty comes a poor third.

Nope, arty generally come a poor 5th in everything other than suicide rates, where they're light years ahead.  Then again you can't really blame arty players for that, once they realise what they've actually been doing with their leisure time :P

wiggles #13 Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 35127 battles
They're throwing themselves into the water to escape all this hideousness.

SoupFork #14 Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11397 battles

You might want to do some reading about the “Baader Meinhoff phenomenon”, more scientifically referred to as the “frequency illusion”.

You think you see it happen often because you’ve experienced it once or twice and now you’re subconsciously focused on it.

You are clearly (rightly) frustrated by arty suicide, so everytime you see it, it triggers a much stronger response, reinforcing your thoughts that it happens “all the time” when in reality it isn’t nearly as often as you think. Keeping statistics usually shows the objective figures are at odds with your perception.

Currently I’m experiencing this phenomena in two ways in WoT:

- The amount of TD per game. Why? I’m trying to do MT:15. And whenever I see the enemy team has only one or two TD’s, I know my chance of completing it is zero. Then when I’m playing another class and I see 5 TD’s on the enemy team, I get “triggered” again and lament the fact that I’m not in my MT. All this skews my perception of there being far fewer TD’s in game than there are. Because a game with 5 TD’s still registers as a “no TD game” if I’m not in a MT. So an enemy player drowning will now trigger you even if it’s not arty and subconsciously add to your “arty drowning numbers feeling”.

- WR/Performance. Sometimes I think I’m on a terrible losing streak, then check my session stats and see I’ve done an above average of 55% or so. It’s just that the losses make a bigger impression on you than the wins. You notice the games wherearty drowns much more than the ones where it doesn’t.

Hope this helps. I think suicide of any class is pathetic and cowardly, but it doesn’t happen nearly as often as you think. If you disagree, enable “save replays”, re-watch 50 (more is better) games and objectively write down for each game how many players suicided, which team they were on and which class.

Edited by SoupFork, 05 January 2019 - 08:25 AM.

8126Jakobsson #15 Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 78822 battles

View PostDel059, on 05 January 2019 - 04:20 AM, said:

This is so far from my reality that I had to take a look at your account, with the notion that you bear false witness due to really liking to click.

Notion confirmed. :P  

BeefCrtinBandit #16 Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7185 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
i will not give you the benefit of the free exp. yes i will suicide. 

Archaean #17 Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16031 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

View PostWoT_RU_Doing, on 04 January 2019 - 11:36 PM, said:

I didn't say anything about whether I do it (I don't). But I see TDs and mediums suicide more often than I see SPGs do it. Mostly, so called "better players", who swear at everyone else for lack of skill, then kill themselves by drowning, crashing or yolo'ing straight into the enemy team. I blame in-game XVM stats for that, but like I say, I'd like to see a punishment system introduced. If people press battle, they should be in it until the battle ends, not killing themselves because they can't be arsed to play anymore.

It's possible that you have observed TDs  being more on the suicide side that is because TDs should be the second last line to arty pieces (it depends on what it is) and it's also understandable that if you already occupy an arty spot (and you do play a lot of arty) that you will see less arty suiciding because you already take away an arty spot.

Again, don't point on the tank type but the position a tank assumes and the players themselves are the major factor and those redlining tend to suicide more often and arty is a red line class.

jack_timber #18 Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40279 battles

I rather like playing arty yet it's rare I drown and if I do it usually accidentally.

Like other night in T92HMC on Fjords...

Couldn't quite get the shot in "god" mode so still in top down view reversed, just another couple of metres, when suddenly plop reversed over the edge into the drink!

It happens, though rarely.

Dr_Blackshark #19 Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14954 battles
How to contribute to the game? Do damage, or prevent the enemy doing damage.Truth is, it's veeeeeeeeery satisfying when you deny the enemy the dmg anmoun when they could complete a mission with it, or when you deny a topgun or Radley for the kill......Ah man the hate messages after the game are priceless. So i will continue to drown, continue to fall off and continue to shoot myself at walls

PointZero #20 Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46227 battles
Regardless of the vehicle type that is doing this the simple fix to reduce it would be to introduce a feature that would lock the drowned vehicle for 10 battles, since an automated system will almost always struggle to recognize if it was done on purpose or not. This way you get away with a mildly annoying punishment incase you tried something new and it didn't work out or weren't paying attention to where you are driving at the heat of the battle. For someone doing it on purpose this would lock some of their favorite vehicles / seriously slow down a grind so it would encourage players to not continue this sort of behaviour in the long run.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users