Grinder Beware - The AMX 105

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Grommet #1 Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40850 battles

I have finally unlocked the top of the tree - the A number one - the pinnacle of French light tank artistry - the AMX 105.

I enjoyed the French light tank line.  Mobile and sneaky and carrying an unexpected punch for the unwary the line up to tier IX offers something.  Then you get to Tier X and the months of grinding reward you with nothing but an empty feeling of disappointment and doubt.   Why am I wasting my time playing this game?

The AMX 105 drives like a truck, aims like you are aboard a boat, and needs thick eyeglasses just to read.  It is in nearly every way inferior to simply using the Bat Chat 25 as a scout instead.  It has less view range - a gun which even if you press the 2 key fires potatoes - weak in the turn - and weaker in reverse speed -  with a comparable camo rating to the Bat.  With only three potatoes loaded you will find yourself listening to the rattling sounds of the reloading process for most of the game - as if you fire one shot you have to reload because you know that two out of three potatoes will either bounce or hit the dirt in front of your target, so a full magazine is a must.  Engine power is lovely but kind of useless if you can't control it - it drives like a TD - or more accurately - a train.

My point here is to say what an anticlimax this grind was and to ask why didn't  War Gaming design a tier X light tank with the qualities that could give it a unique role.  I know the Beta version was far better before they introduced this neutered version and I understand the need for balance (let's not mention the Obj 268 v4) but this top of the tree is simply not very top.

It doesn't need to be OP - it can have its flaws - but it needs a singular quality that defines it.  Much like the ELC Even 90 - which is pig to drive and has a comedy gun but which I love because it is a unique scout tank and excels in that role.  

The AMX 105 has nothing unique about it.  It is watered down and irrelevant and a pale shadow of what it could have been.  I would take a Bat Chat 25 over it all day.  No doubt there will be those that love it but love isn't rational as my devotion to the ELC Even 90 reveals.  It's a shame they missed the opportunity to make something unique.  Sod the 105, I wanted view range or camo or mobility and I got none of them. So grinders beware.

TankkiPoju #2 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21640 battles

"Light tank players enjoy the challenge, so we made tier 10 scouts bad." - WG

EDIT: I can almost understand the potato guns these tanks have, but on top of that... why is there a retarded pen drop off penalty?

Why can tanks like TVP 50/51, Obj140 or regular Batchat snipe from redline but light tanks are not allowed?

Edited by TankkiPoju, 07 January 2019 - 02:06 PM.

AngelofAwe #3 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 40742 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The sad thing is the 105 is one of the better T10 LTs. 

ilmavarvas #4 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16954 battles
  • [GURKO] GURKO
Especially when you look it's stats in tech tree - nice aimtime, nice reload, nice burst and so on - and in reality in the World of Corridors, you just get slapped to face with rotten fish over and over again :D 

unrealname #5 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25604 battles

you are doing something wrong then, i enjoy it every time i get into battle with it. its the second best tier X LT, only t-100lt is better, which i still dont have, lul. 

If we compare it to bc-25t, then yes bat is overall better, but i still prefer 3 round clip with shorter reload. It has more gun depression, better power/weight, better aimtime and gun dispersion values + better ground resistances as well. as a dmg dealer bat is still superior, but amx is much more flexible in my eyes, if we compare them.

Cobra6 #6 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16424 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

That is because of WG's atrocious T10 light tank balancing, not the fault of the AMX. 

All of the T10 light tanks are severely handicapped mediums in an effect to protect bad players in heavy tanks from getting completely owned by skilled players in light tanks.

Back when these T10 lights were first on the sandbox server and we tested them to perfection they were in a pretty good spot. But then shortly before release on live WG smashed them all with the nerf hammer to an extent that they are pretty pointless now.

As Angel pointed out, the AMX105 is actually one of the better T10 lights.

I do enjoy driving my 13 105 even though it's not competitive on the tier at all.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 07 January 2019 - 02:13 PM.

Grommet #7 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40850 battles
If one were of a suspicious mindset one might be led to suspect a strategic decision to promote Premium Accounts by requiring the use of Premium Ammo - that said pressing the 2 key on the AMX 105 doesn't result in acceptable performance it only means you are now firing cheesy golden potatoes.

Edited by Grommet, 07 January 2019 - 02:20 PM.

ilmavarvas #8 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16954 battles
  • [GURKO] GURKO

View PostGrommet, on 07 January 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

If one were of a suspicious mindset one might be led to suspect a strategic decision to promote Premium Accounts by requiring the use of Premium Ammo - that said pressing the 2 key on the AMX 105 doesn't result in acceptable only means you are now firing cheesy golden potatoes.

Grommet #9 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40850 battles

View Postunrealname, on 07 January 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

you are doing something wrong then, i enjoy it every time i get into battle with it. its the second best tier X LT, only t-100lt is better, which i still dont have, lul. 

If we compare it to bc-25t, then yes bat is overall better, but i still prefer 3 round clip with shorter reload. It has more gun depression, better power/weight, better aimtime and gun dispersion values + better ground resistances as well. as a dmg dealer bat is still superior, but amx is much more flexible in my eyes, if we compare them.

No unreal - I'm not doing something wrong I am simply not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I enjoyed the preceding vehicles in the line - I find it a disappointment after the AMX 13 90.

Noo_Noo #10 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 22195 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 07 January 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

"Light tank players enjoy the challenge, so we made tier 10 scouts bad." - WG

EDIT: I can almost understand the potato guns these tanks have, but on top of that... why is there a retarded pen drop off penalty?

Why can tanks like TVP 50/51, Obj140 or regular Batchat snipe from redline but light tanks are not allowed?

just a little bit wrong that the best Tier 10 light tank is actually a medium isn't it? (Batchat 25t) 

Pretty much illustrates that WG are a bit lost when it comes to balancing their game

TankkiPoju #11 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21640 battles

View Postunrealname, on 07 January 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

AMX 13 105 has worse view range than Batchat 25t. Just why, WG?

AMX 13 105 will be outspotted by a stationary 430U, because 430U has 37% base camo with a full camo crew and it has better view range. It's balanced.

Light tanks got regular MM in the last rebalance and they have same MM weight as medium tanks. Can anyone seriously suggest a AMX 13 105 or any tier 10 light tank is somehow on same power level as Super Conqs, IS7s, Obj277s Type 5s or Obj430Us? Yet they are supposed to be.

Simeon85 #12 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1101 battles

What's funny is not only is it one of the better lights, but that the Bat Chat 25t, which in reality pretty is much the best tier 10 light, is still not even that competitive itself in the current meta. So the 13-105 is bad version of an uncompetitive tank. 

As saide above, the 430U has better base camo than the Bat Chat, it'll have on the move camo to like 60-70% the value of most tier 10 lights, similar view range, so 90% of the time it'll spot just as well but it's essentially got the armour and alpha of a heavy tank.

Playing paper stuff in the current meta is pretty pointless anyway, tanks like the Progetto 65, Bat Chat, TVP etc. have some value because of their clip potential, but playing something paper with an gimped gun, which is what tier 10 lights are, is just an exercise in frustration and something that 'going a bit faster' does not compensate for.

Likely the tier 10 wheeled vehicle is going to be similarly ineffective.

As Cobra said, WG are so scared of good players utilising mobility, camo and view range to out play lesser players they have gimped every tank out there than relies on those traits either through bad attributes or just creating a 'Steve the IS7 driver' friendly environment. 

When really bad players SHOULD get owned by good players, so those bad players LEARN to play, instead WG just makes half the classes idiot proof, and the other half of vehicles that require skill to play are made ineffective so Steve can drive around like a moron and generally get away with it. 

Edited by Simeon85, 07 January 2019 - 02:48 PM.

The_Georgian_One #13 Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39057 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View PostAngelofAwe, on 07 January 2019 - 02:08 PM, said:

The sad thing is the 105 is one of the better T10 LTs. 

I wanted to write exactly this when I read thee OP. QFT

unrealname #14 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25604 battles

View PostGrommet, on 07 January 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

No unreal - I'm not doing something wrong I am simply not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I enjoyed the preceding vehicles in the line - I find it a disappointment after the AMX 13 90.

well yeah tier by tier 13 90 is a beast, although it seriously lacks spotting capabilities, its still a nice one to play. 13 90 is one of my most played tanks, only e100 has more battles, well thats because german and french tech trees were the first one i went for. anyway thats not the point, from nearly 700 battles i have on 13 90(have trained a lot of crews on it), i think that around 530 of them were played when it was the top tier LT and you know what? even though it lacked penetration(i really couldn't afford spamming apcr back then) and had the same BC like derpy gun, i liked it more back then, as it really didn't have much competition in those days - it had many roles to fill, nowadays not so much...

Maybe im some kind of weirdo, but i feel like lts have lost their point when they got a MM buff, what did they gain from it? capability to roflstomp low tiers when top tier? you cant even have decent amount of spotting, unless you play tier 10s. I still think that wg should of left everything as it was and introduce current tier 10s as unnerfed tier 9 Lts, that would never see lower tiers and that would be much better spot for them, rather than having handicapped tier 10s.

Edited by unrealname, 07 January 2019 - 03:12 PM.

ilmavarvas #15 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16954 battles
  • [GURKO] GURKO

View PostSimeon85, on 07 January 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

What's funny is not only is it one of the better lights, but that the Bat Chat 25t, which in reality pretty is much the best tier 10 light, is still not even that competitive itself in the current meta. 

It was only few years ago when seeing BC 25t in enemy team made you fear... Nowadays not so much, unless ofc playing with LT.

AngelofAwe #16 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 40742 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postilmavarvas, on 07 January 2019 - 04:07 PM, said:

It was only few years ago when seeing BC 25t in enemy team made you fear... Nowadays not so much, unless ofc playing with LT.

The good old days, RIP my favorite tank... and the meta where mobility was king.

Fortunately it's not as dead as my second favorite tank... the AMX CDC. 

Edited by AngelofAwe, 07 January 2019 - 03:13 PM.

Simeon85 #17 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1101 battles

View Postilmavarvas, on 07 January 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Well Bat Chat hasn't changed in about 4 years, I doubt it has changed since release, I remember when people used to think it was OP. 

It still has a bit of threat because it has near 2k clip potential, but it's paper and it's gun handling is awful, so early to mid game its very hard for it to do anything because you are basically left with sniping on most maps, as all your other options are basically face heavies frontally in corridors. 

It's still a big threat to lower tiers, but then almost any tier 10 is, but against the meta tier 10s it's pretty weak. 

But it's still way better than any of the other tier 10 lights. 

KillingJoker #18 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37099 battles
I allways tought the best french light tank was the batchat...

ilmavarvas #19 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16954 battles
  • [GURKO] GURKO

View PostSimeon85, on 07 January 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

Well Bat Chat hasn't changed in about 4 years, I doubt it has changed since release, I remember when people used to think it was OP. 

It still has a bit of threat because it has near 2k clip potential, but it's paper and it's gun handling is awful, so early to mid game its very hard for it to do anything because you are basically left with sniping on most maps, as all your other options are basically face heavies frontally in corridors. 

It's still a big threat to lower tiers, but then almost any tier 10 is, but against the meta tier 10s it's pretty weak. 

Still going to get it thou, just for the sake of memories that I have when facing them in T-44 or T-54 :) And for that nice 3d camo from boxes.

Problem is that monsters like 430U can snipe aswell OR face those heavies, Skoda & Progetto can unleash almost same amount of damage with better accuracy & gun control and as said before, current meta is not for mobile paper tanks.

barison1 #20 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39453 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View PostSimeon85, on 07 January 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

plenty people still crying that it is OP, while it is one of the more balanced tier x rn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users