Japanese top tier heavies

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Japanese top tier tanks need some change? (41 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do the Japanese top tier tanks need some change?

1. No, it's fine how it is now in the current state. (12 votes [29.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

2. Yes, but it's too weak and needs a buff. (6 votes [14.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

3. Yes, it's too good now and needs some tweaks. (23 votes [56.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.10%

Vote Hide poll

starwarser007 #1 Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 9746 battles
  • [RBSF] RBSF

Hello fellow tankers,

I have been playing for some time on wot. I have known overpowered tanks on the game that destroyed complete games for me or the ennemies.

Now, I have encountered the Japanese heavies multiple times to say I am starting to get frustrated by them. The howhitzer means that they they can aim wherever they want on the enemy tank. 

I have no problem with this, was it not that this tank is very well armoured and has no weak spots to speak of frontally.

If you play yourself in a slow, but well armoured tank, I am wondering how to counter this tank well.

Must this tank be changed, or receive some weak points?

Greetings,

starwarser007

Edited by starwarser007, 07 January 2019 - 10:08 PM.

krismorgan #2 Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 33728 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
I just want to try them before they nerf them,im always late for the op party :sceptic:

Aine #3 Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 18662 battles
  • [MCARD] MCARD

Why weakspots, when everybody is penning them with gold ammo from the front anyway?

Their huge frame and slow speed is their weakness. They can also not aim very low.

Happyfrags #4 Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13177 battles
  • [U-EAT] U-EAT

Type 5 heavy's gold shell on test server is fine IMO : they replaced the 75 pen / 1400 damage HE by a 180 pen / 750 damage HESH.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20624 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The derp needs to go, the 14cm need some tweaks and some weackspot are indeed needed. Then they should be balanced.

kile917 #6 Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 39803 battles
  • [VTEPS] VTEPS
type 5 is tank for noobs, no aim just left click.... game destroyed

Nishi_Kinuyo #7 Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:01 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8070 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Oh, I've had fun with them as toptiers.

Like this battle I had recently on overlord, went 3-4 line at the top of the cliffs, some ikea in the back being my only support, and I just had to run into an O-I while driving my KV-220-2.

Loads of fun that was, especially the part where I got up near the windmill to flank him and pump several shots into his side and set him on fire, because da, KV-220-2 goldshells are pointless against an O-I.

TheDrownedApe #8 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 45518 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

sick of repeating myself in all these Jap Derp threads:

Awful to play

Awful to face

But then I don't like slow derp tanks (I used the AP on the Type 4, far more predictable)

evcro #9 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4701 battles

nerf all turrets on all hull down tanks +

reduce size of all derp tanks by 100%

increase the speed of all derp tanks by 30%

and then you can nerf the derps to

Edited by evcro, 08 January 2019 - 11:03 AM.

1ucky #10 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76922 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

View Poststarwarser007, on 07 January 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

(...)

If you play yourself in a slow, but well armoured tank, I am wondering how to counter this tank well.

(...)

If you're in a Maus and see only the Type's front, you can load gold and shoot whatever armor plate is the most flat towards you, basically you're not searching for a universal weakspot but the most perpendicular shot instead.

Though obviously you should avoid shooting strong spots while doing so, for example if it's turret's facing you don't shoot the gun mantlet but the bit just next to it either left or right, the turret cheeks.

Anyhow, with premium ammo you should be able to pen the two frontal hatches (driver/radio?) relatively easily, even at a slight angle. If the Type angles the front hard though, forget the hatches but then one of it's shoulder/corner plates will be more flat towards you, so then that's your perpendicular shot.

Also, if you really hate facing them while in a slow heavy yourself, then maybe best stop doing that. You can try avoid the situation by figuring out which places on the map the Type might go to, and simply pick some other place to go to yourself. Or alternatively if you go to the same general area, try think up a way to approach it from such an angle that you might get sideshots at the Type.

TL;DR

What you basically did was you described one of the worst possible in-game situations you could find yourself in and said that it sucks. Well, duh...

Just avoid getting into such situations perhaps, should work independently of any upcoming nerfs/buffs.

(Or as said, load prem ammo and aim for the flattest plates.)

Noo_Noo #11 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22154 battles

For me the issue here is the package as a whole combined with the derp gun. 

In my mind if you have a gun like that there has to be some serious downsides. There aren't. 

I think the reload can be below 16 seconds with a decent crew, premium food, a rammer and vents. Combine that with armour and 2900 HP to trade with then that's all too much. 

If its supposed to be a heavily armoured beast then remove the HE gun and tweak the gun handling on the AP gun. It still has 249 pen on it which should be ok

evcro #12 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4701 battles

View PostNoo_Noo, on 08 January 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

For me the issue here is the package as a whole combined with the derp gun. 

In my mind if you have a gun like that there has to be some serious downsides. There aren't. 

I think the reload can be below 16 seconds with a decent crew, premium food, a rammer and vents. Combine that with armour and 2900 HP to trade with then that's all too much. 

If its supposed to be a heavily armoured beast then remove the HE gun and tweak the gun handling on the AP gun. It still has 249 pen on it which should be ok

wow

words cant describe the stupidity

no downsides hahahaha

derps tanks are easier to play and learn the game. once you become good at the game a tank like T10 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any derp tank

Edited by evcro, 08 January 2019 - 11:13 AM.

Noo_Noo #13 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22154 battles

View Postevcro, on 08 January 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

wow

words cant describe the stupidity

no downsides hahahaha

derps tanks are easier to play and learn the game. once you become good at the game a tank like T10 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any derp tank

:facepalm: Very few words.

T10 >> Type 5. 

I'd have the type 5 in a corridor with cover any day thank you. I bet your one of these people that moan about the game being dumbed down.

Seriously though the amount of internet d**ks on here, of which you are one is absolutely mind blowing. 

Rati_Festa #14 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45405 battles

View Post1ucky, on 08 January 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

Also, if you really hate facing them while in a slow heavy yourself, then maybe best stop doing that. You can try avoid the situation by figuring out which places on the map the Type might go to, and simply pick some other place to go to yourself. Or alternatively if you go to the same general area, try think up a way to approach it from such an angle that you might get sideshots at the Type.

That's quite an interesting point. I've seen a number of game where the opponents have Jap Heavies and my teams heavies have decided to avoid the heavy brawling area (  I don't blame them ) and go to the medium/light focal point. This has varying results depending on how my teams tds react ( and if they are strvs ;), it they camp the base it sometimes works due to the jap heavies weaknesses fighting at range. 

It also highlights the issue with the maps, if you "know" where Jap Heavies will be literally on nearly ever map beforehand is that good? Secondly it points to an issue with the min maxing tanks across the board at t10 as the camo is to high for me on the strvs. Min maxing low skill play ( Jap heavies with stupid guns ) and ( Strvs with silly camo ) it just embraces crappy play across the board and has completely ruined the balance of T10.

It looks like a balancing that the strv can deal with the Japs at range, but they can also deal quite well with IS7's, obj 140, T100 etc.... the game needs to be far more subtle than that to be engaging for me. T10 has become very much focused on 4-5 tanks and the rest are just cannon fodder, the Jap Heavies were the start of the scenario.

WG have managed to create a game that is more interesting at mid tiers than end game tiers, amazing really that the game has progressed to that state ( mess ). 

Noo_Noo #15 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22154 battles

View PostRati_Festa, on 08 January 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

That's quite an interesting point. I've seen a number of game where the opponents have Jap Heavies and my teams heavies have decided to avoid the heavy brawling area (  I don't blame them ) and go to the medium/light focal point. This has varying results depending on how my teams tds react ( and if they are strvs ;), it they camp the base it sometimes works due to the jap heavies weaknesses fighting at range. 

It also highlights the issue with the maps, if you "know" where Jap Heavies will be literally on nearly ever map beforehand is that good? Secondly it points to an issue with the min maxing tanks across the board at t10 as the camo is to high for me on the strvs. Min maxing low skill play ( Jap heavies with stupid guns ) and ( Strvs with silly camo ) it just embraces crappy play across the board and has completely ruined the balance of T10.

It looks like a balancing that the strv can deal with the Japs at range, but they can also deal quite well with IS7's, obj 140, T100 etc.... the game needs to be far more subtle than that to be engaging for me. T10 has become very much focused on 4-5 tanks and the rest are just cannon fodder, the Jap Heavies were the start of the scenario.

WG have managed to create a game that is more interesting at mid tiers than end game tiers, amazing really that the game has progressed to that state ( mess ). 

True. I'd probably go to the other flank if I were in a heavy and the enemy has a Type 5. There's an unwritten theory that you leave the Type 5 until the end where it is isolated and can be farmed. 

Discontinued #16 Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2959 battles

Ive never found them to be particularly challenging tank to face or destroy, why else did they invent the number 2 button?

I thought I would go for this line seeing as it has a reputation of "noob friendly" 

Wow these tanks are so utterly,excruciatingly, disgustingly, mind numbingly uninteresting to play, now I understand why they drown so often its because they've lost the will to live.Tthe only positives I can find is they seem to be a great cure for insomnia.

I got to tier 7 (god knows how) and transferred the crew into the tier 4 Jap Med and Im actually having far more fun than the turdmobile line could ever provide.

Happyfrags #17 Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 13177 battles
  • [U-EAT] U-EAT

Increase its HP to 3200

Remove its upper frontal hull weakspots

Nerf its lower hull armor to 250mm and frontal floor armor to 115mm@65° (235EA)

Nerf its hull frontal cheek armor to 250mm

Nerf its reverse speed to 8kph

Change its gold shell to 750damage with 180pen

These changes will make the type 5 heavy more resistant to gold shell spam and add some weakspot enemy can pen with AP AND that type5 can manage to hide. The slower reverse speed also make the tank more vulnerable to flanking.

Finally, the gold shell change remove the P2W feeling.

Edited by Happyfrags, 09 January 2019 - 05:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users