IS3 Object257 sell tier IX

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Venom7000 #1 Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3892 battles
  • [HOOL] HOOL
I just unlocked Object 257 via my IS3 (just using the combat exp. No free exp was needed). I feel like being in Tier 8 especially with IS3 is not a great load of fun these days.

In the last 3 months in every game almost I get HEAT and Gold Ammo fired at me (not by lower tier but by IX and X tanks). I fell like there is no point to trying to sidescrape or angle the armour in most cases.

Should I sell my Is3 or keep it once I transfer the crew to Obj257?
How are the repair costs and ammo costs of Obj257 comparing to Is3? I use to my trusty Kv2 and KV85 to grind credits. And IS3 does give me occasionally profit (never fire gold ammo btw). I fell like the MM will be the same whether I drive IS3 or 257. Since I mostly meet tier IX and X tanks in my IS3 anyways. And 257 is at least a better tank no?

SuedKAT #2 Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:22 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
As MM is right now with the 3-5-7 template I'd sell any tier 8 tank you have finished grinding that you don't immensely enjoy or have the benefit of being a premium tank. The repair costs are higher but ammo costs are just slightly higher, 1025 vs 1180 for standard ammo and 4800 vs 5200 for premium ammo so you most likely need one or two matches more in the credit grinders to keep up with the increased costs. The Obj 257 is a good tank and due to MM it's also in a lot better state than the IS-3 is at the moment, so I'm fairly certain you'll enjoy it more than the IS-3.

RockyRoller #3 Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34972 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

you might end up in a clan that enters tier 8 only events and even if you had a 252U you might need that IS3 if it were locked.

I personally try to keep all my T6 T8 & T10 if they aren't truly awful.

WG needs to set events for the other tiers before I auto save those when I upgrade. 

undutchable80 #4 Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:02 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 9252 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

When I finish the grind, I mostly sell my T8's except for those I really enjoy playing in. Especially since Frontlines will return next month (even though last time I played that mode I played mostly regular T8 tanks to grind since same tier MM was guaranteed). Another reason for me to sell most of them off is that I have plenty of T8 premiums of different classes (and nations) that if I want to / need to play that tier I can roll out in a premium that in general are the same to their regular tech tree counterparts (and in some cases better - looking at you Centurion 5/1 vs standard Centurion 1). 

Premium ammo spam by T9s and 10s even when top tier is common, so its nothing against the tank itself. Your choice mate: do you (still) like the IS-3? Especially with Frontline gamemode in mind?

Venom7000 #5 Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3892 battles
  • [HOOL] HOOL

I will try to answer all the questions:

1. I dont plan on doing clan things (I havent been a member of a clan in any multiplayer game). I like to suck alone :D

2. IS3 was a major improvement over the IS for me (especially once you unlock the top Gun and have oever 175pen). However after the initial MM where I was paired with mostly non gold spamming tryhard players, I had a lot of fun (sure I lost a lot of those too. But I felt like I had a fighting chance).

3. Seems to me that IS3 has one major problem these days. Its "lack of penetration". I know 225mm pen is enough and when the tank is tough "shoot for the weak spots". But in order to shoot the weakspots you need to be close a lot more than you should be with IS3 against gold chucking IX and X tanks. In most cases up front I cant do much to many Tier IX and X tanks. I know you need to flank them but in most cases (maps or situations) that is not possible. The gun is not even that accurate to shoot the weakspots anyways. I cant remember how many times I shot at a green section fully aimed (100% crew, snapshot skill present, vents, vertic stab and GLD) only to track, richochet the tank instead. 
Therefore I feel that obj257 is at least more suited to do this better. It has more pen so at least more chance to do damage (even if the gun is as accurate as is3).
I know that you are suppose to play IS3 as a hulking medium when you are bottom tier. And I do that. Had few amazing games yesterday like that. But I feel like going down this Russian heavy line in these WOT times trained me to be a good medium driver rather than a heavy one. (which speaks for itself when I almost got my first Pools medal in VK 30.01 medium) :teethhappy:

4.Credit wise I have 10m credits and once I sell IS3 I will have more so I am not short on cash. (since I only have few tanks and all of them bring profit 99% of the time).

5. Thinking of getting a tier 8 premium for training and cash. (is tier 8 premium better than tier 5 premium Churchill III when it comes to credits and speed of crew training?)

Shame I liked IS3 when I first got it. Its a beautifully looking tank. But I have more chance surviving in my KV2 than IS3 in a Tier X match. And I fail platooned in my KV2 in tier X match 3 times and ended up being in top 5 players in my team (damage wise!)

Edited by Venom7000, 08 January 2019 - 10:05 AM.

JOSEBA_PRIME #6 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:20 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14317 battles
  • [NEUR0] NEUR0

View PostVenom7000, on 07 January 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

I just unlocked Object 257 via my IS3 (just using the combat exp. No free exp was needed). I feel like being in Tier 8 especially with IS3 is not a great load of fun these days.

In the last 3 months in every game almost I get HEAT and Gold Ammo fired at me (not by lower tier but by IX and X tanks). I fell like there is no point to trying to sidescrape or angle the armour in most cases.

Should I sell my Is3 or keep it once I transfer the crew to Obj257?
How are the repair costs and ammo costs of Obj257 comparing to Is3? I use to my trusty Kv2 and KV85 to grind credits. And IS3 does give me occasionally profit (never fire gold ammo btw). I fell like the MM will be the same whether I drive IS3 or 257. Since I mostly meet tier IX and X tanks in my IS3 anyways. And 257 is at least a better tank no?

I had the same problem as you past week. What I have done is, I bought 257, transfered is3a crew with 4 skills to obj257, and reciclated 1 crew with only sixth sense And repairs for is3.

If you can, IS-3 is one of the tanks everyone must conserve, not only for cw, also for team batles, strongholds, frontline...

If you lack of credits And crews And u have a lot of op heavy premiums sell IS-3 if you want, but It is still a very decent tier 8.

Obj257s repairs are not very expensive, the diference of gaining/losing credits is on the ammo you use. AP ammo 257 mm something like that, HEAT ammo 315 mm. 

The highlight of 257 are turret armour And sides armour, It has one of BEST side armours of the Game, you can trust more on your armour than on IS-3. I only have 10 batles, And I already think is worth It, not best tank ever but I am liking, yeah. And It is not the same, tier 9 mm is the BEST, tier 8 mm is the worst.

PD: Maybe you already know, but if not keep this in Mind, after 257 goes IS-7 for which you Will need 1 extra crew member.

undutchable80 #7 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 9252 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostVenom7000, on 08 January 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

5. Thinking of getting a tier 8 premium for training and cash. (is tier 8 premium better than tier 5 premium Churchill III when it comes to credits and speed of crew training?)

Churchill III is an odd one that its gets improved crew training bonus, so it is a great tank for that. And unless you dab that 2 key a lot, makes decent credits for T5. Generally T8 is the best tier for credit making in a premium tank, but again, that depends on how often you press that 2 key really. 

Edited by undutchable80, 08 January 2019 - 10:33 AM.

Hamsterkicker #8 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35746 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK

If you don't need the garage slot I would keep the IS-3.. If you play more in higher tiers and you have a bad streak,, just take it out and suddenly you find it is way more capable then you ever thought.. IS-3 then becomes easy mode trust me.

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25612 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS
You should have come here sooner since after playing both, I would have recommended you unlock the T-10 instead as it's the better tank imo with a much better gun. The armor of the Obj 257 is better and it has a smaller lower plate to shoot at but just like you experienced the HEAT spamming against your IS-3, nothing will change with the Obj 257 so, since all 3 tanks are going to get spammed by premium ammo, this makes your armor almost a secondary choice and never to be relied on. What you rely on is your map knowledge and experience to keep your tank relatively safe and your gun becomes your best friend, not your armor. So in that regards, the T-10 has the better gun therefore is the better tank. 

Venom7000 #10 Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3892 battles
  • [HOOL] HOOL
I have decided to keep it for now. Simply because I am not short on credits and its not like there is garage maintenance fee like you said guys. :)

View PostTungstenHitman, on 08 January 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

You should have come here sooner since after playing both, I would have recommended you unlock the T-10 instead as it's the better tank imo with a much better gun. The armor of the Obj 257 is better and it has a smaller lower plate to shoot at but just like you experienced the HEAT spamming against your IS-3, nothing will change with the Obj 257 so, since all 3 tanks are going to get spammed by premium ammo, this makes your armor almost a secondary choice and never to be relied on. What you rely on is your map knowledge and experience to keep your tank relatively safe and your gun becomes your best friend, not your armor. So in that regards, the T-10 has the better gun therefore is the better tank. 

I have been aware of this for a long time. I always study up before any major decision in research in WOT. I agree that T-10 is better for the current "meta" (if you can call gold spamming meta). Problem is that T-10 leads to a Object 277 and not IS7. And is7 is my preferred final destination.

The thing is that my mindset is still at "hull down" "stand my ground" strategies. To really utilize tanks like T10 and any good medium you need to be a better player. Almost like one of them has a higher learning cap. 

P.s- did anyone notice that there are no reviews on YouTube for Object 277?
(there are two but one has 200views and other is more of a guide by someone who I have never heard of in WOT community)

Edited by Venom7000, 08 January 2019 - 07:39 PM.

Hamsterkicker #11 Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35746 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK
I would recommend you to watch Skill4ltu's review of the IS-7 Techtree on Youtube as well as his gameplay video of the Object 277... Best advice you can get.

Oldewolfe #12 Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 513 battles

I sold mine only because I and the IS3 didn't get along and I had gotten the 252U while Grinding the IS to Prep for Tier 8.....       So, as soon as I had the XP for the T-10, out it went....      I think at the time if I had gone IS6, I would have kept it, but my goal was to get used to facing Tier 10 while I Trained the Crew and was Grinding the IS....

Xmas has since put an IS3A and a Defender into my garage as well, so either way, the IS3 is Back....      We'll have to see how it goes this time....

Mannanan #13 Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 25363 battles
Playing T9 with 3k battles under the belt is not a great load of fun.

Edited by Mannanan, 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM.

Venom7000 #14 Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3892 battles
  • [HOOL] HOOL

View PostMannanan, on 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Playing T9 with 3k battles under the belt is not a great load of fun.

If the gold ammo had not existed then I would certainly be inclined to agree with you. However the MM spread coupled with the fact that a large group of players from tier 8 UP shoot gold. There is ZERO difference between driving a tier 8 and 9 tank. As I said before. While driving my Is3 i very rarely was in a top tier or even tier match. I was always pinned against tier 9 and 10 tanks.
The difference between driving a Tier 8 tank and Tier 9 is that you are more vulnerable with Tier 8 and you almost always end up at the bottom of the feeding pool and learn nothing. 
Armour angling is important and I tend to practice it wherever/whenever I can. But all of that angling goes out of the window when a tier 9 or 10 derps Heat at you. (because shooting 120mm angled side armour which at best has 230mm effective armour with 350mm pen is not "overkill " ;).

I learned my armour angling basics playing tier 4-6. You dont get to learn much in higher tiers when they essentially " break the game" by magically increasing their pen by 40% :D

I tried to stick to lower tier games at first. But realized that the old "X amount of battles before advancing to another tier" is not valid anymore. Plus have you seen the number of donkeys that occupy tier 5 battles? 
I still play most games in my KV85 and Kv2.  :)

Edited by Venom7000, 09 January 2019 - 08:53 PM.

Venom7000 #15 Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3892 battles
  • [HOOL] HOOL

View PostOldewolfe, on 09 January 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I sold mine only because I and the IS3 didn't get along and I had gotten the 252U while Grinding the IS to Prep for Tier 8.....       So, as soon as I had the XP for the T-10, out it went....      I think at the time if I had gone IS6, I would have kept it, but my goal was to get used to facing Tier 10 while I Trained the Crew and was Grinding the IS....

Xmas has since put an IS3A and a Defender into my garage as well, so either way, the IS3 is Back....      We'll have to see how it goes this time....

I see...
P.s- How did you manage to get to T10 with just over 500 battles? (I dont see IS3A and Defender your garage)

Oldewolfe #16 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 513 battles

You're looking at the Wrong Account....      You should be looking at my Primary Account on the NA Server....       You still won't be Impressed, but you'll find them all Present and Accounted for....

This is just a Second Account for Grinding other Lines I don't have on the Main one....       It also gives me a Heads Up on Patches before the NA gets them....

Venom7000 #17 Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3892 battles
  • [HOOL] HOOL

View PostOldewolfe, on 10 January 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

You're looking at the Wrong Account....      You should be looking at my Primary Account on the NA Server....       You still won't be Impressed, but you'll find them all Present and Accounted for....

This is just a Second Account for Grinding other Lines I don't have on the Main one....       It also gives me a Heads Up on Patches before the NA gets them....

That's...actually smart. I never thought about that.
Wait, you can playin on NA severs even though you are geographically situated in Europe? (Id would gladly play on NA severs. If it means avoiding Polish and Russian players) 
:hiding:

nakkipeppu #18 Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32007 battles
  • [LGGF] LGGF
Tier for tier, IS-3 is one of the best tanks in the game, and very fun and comfortable drive. Gold spam shouldn't be all that big of an issue, because tank can work around that - you usually get penned by AP, or don't get penetrated at all. Everything about the platform is great, and it's relevant in every map and matchmaking.

Oldewolfe #19 Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:28 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 513 battles

I'm Geographically Located in Baltimore Maryland USA, and I Play on Both Servers...       My Ping to EU1 is about 110 Max and to EU2 at about 104, about 38 the the NA server in Chicago....      I figured if my Ping to the Test Server was only around 120ish, how bad can it be to the EU.....

You just need the Space for the Seperate Client, Download, Install, and make an Account....       And, I play my EU Account from a 3.0 USB Drive along with the Test Server....     Makes my Game Portable that way and it Plays just Fine....

https://youtu.be/16x2SProLIY

https://youtu.be/IHTBlSu0LbQ

https://youtu.be/zrewo-YhJI0

https://youtu.be/328P-UtCcZo

Tier 10's and an IS3A.....       

I can't say you'll be Happier there than Here...    Much of the Issues are very Similar between both Servers....      And it'll be a New Garage as you've noticed from my EU Garage, and that means Fresh Grinds and New Crews....

But if you do give it a Shot, look me Up....     You won't be able to Miss me, I'll be the guy that Sucks at Tanks.....     lol

Also tagged with IS3, Object257, sell, tier IX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users