How about a better replay system after 8 years of it being out?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

MightyBalls_2 #1 Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4920 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

Any chance you can implement a better replay system because the one you have is that old and pointless you might as well not have one.

I like looking at games I have done well in and games I did really bad in so I can analyse how I could have done better, what I did right etc etc.

Things that after 8 years of the replay system should have already been in place.

1. watching replays without shutting down the game
  2. be able to view other peoples perspective rather than just yours
  3. free camera (this can be done with mods but this should be done without mods)
  4. timeline so you can skip/rewind without needing to use your buggy skip system implemented at present.
  5. Option to have all tanks showing or real time view to see where other tanks are situated on the maps.

I am not asking for a replay system that has the bells on it, but at least give a replay system that shows a little more than the exact thing I saw when I played the game, plus please stop making me quit the game client to watch it!

Edited by MightyBalls_2, 08 January 2019 - 09:14 AM.

Homer_J #2 Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30162 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

They are working on it.

Although 2 is a bit controversial unless they make the replays server side.

gpalsson #3 Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

General

• Player
  • 23089 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I don't think the current replay system is so bad it might as well not be there. It seems like a bit of an exaggeration. It can be improved on, sure. But I am unsure if they want/can (without too much effort on their side) a replay system that runs serverside, which would be a requirement for 2 and 5 since the client doesn't have this information.

The timeline would be super nice, and the client thing would be nice if that was solvable too. I think those two are the easiest and most realistic to see improvements on. 3 should be standard and doesn't even require them to do anything other than steal someone elses work.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

Major

• Player
  • 30988 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
It would be nice if they implemented a separate replay player so that your epic replays didn't become unplayable with every micro patch.

Cossu2 #5 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31556 battles
  • [T6L] T6L
Someone have been asking that possibility of showing replay from other players view too for years, but it will be never happend. There is major problem for that...

arthurwellsley #6 Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52469 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Welcome back to the forum and game MB.

Agreed that the replay system could do with an upgrade. I like most of your suggestions, but my priorities would be different;

1. Permit replays to replay after patches, so that 1.2 is still playable after 1.3 etc.

2. Timeline.

3. Free camera.

4. Watching from another players perspective (your own team, I suspect the opposing team would be too hard to implement).

Your idea to see the layout of all tanks and their disposition would help learning, but each client does not normally have that much information, as you only get to see enemy tanks when they are spotted. Your suggestion permits replays to show unspotted tanks the whole time, and I am not sure how viable that is.

Dava_117 #7 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20609 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 08 January 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

It would be nice if they implemented a separate replay player so that your epic replays didn't become unplayable with every micro patch.

^This is something I would like to see too. :)

I think that option number 2 could be done even on client side replays and with low effort if the tank is spotted and you don't care about ammo layout, consumable, dispersion and equipment...

MightyBalls_2 #8 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4920 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

View PostHomer_J, on 08 January 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

They are working on it.

Why is it controversial? I am not understanding why it would be controversial. Why would people not want the option to see how you are angling, or how much of your tank you are showing to the opposition in curtain events?

Replays are server side anyway, without internet connection to their servers you can not view the replay, or at least that is what I have always believed, hence why you have to disconnect your recent session on World Of Tanks to be able to view the replay.

Dava_117 #9 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20609 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 08 January 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

Why is it controversial? I am not understanding why it would be controversial. Why would people not want the option to see how you are angling, or how much of your tank you are showing to the opposition in curtain events?

Replays are server side anyway, without internet connection to their servers you can not view the replay, or at least that is what I have always believed, hence why you have to disconnect your recent session on World Of Tanks to be able to view the replay.

No replays are client side. It records only what your client knows and it's the client itself that create it after you leave the battle or the battle ends.

MightyBalls_2 #10 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4920 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 08 January 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

This will not happen because of the code used, not even replay systems from Fortnite etc are able to do that.

View Postarthurwellsley, on 08 January 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Welcome back to the forum and game MB.

Agreed that the replay system could do with an upgrade. I like most of your suggestions, but my priorities would be different;

1. Permit replays to replay after patches, so that 1.2 is still playable after 1.3 etc.

2. Timeline.

3. Free camera.

4. Watching from another players perspective (your own team, I suspect the opposing team would be too hard to implement).

Your idea to see the layout of all tanks and their disposition would help learning, but each client does not normally have that much information, as you only get to see enemy tanks when they are spotted. Your suggestion permits replays to show unspotted tanks the whole time, and I am not sure how viable that is.

Hi arthurwellsley and thank you :)

I know a couple of things like showing enermy etc all the time at present is not easily done, but after 8 years of the system this could have been achieved.

But on WG tournaments this is already done live so why not implement it into the replays.

I understand that the file size of the replays would dramitically grow in size and I do not know how viable it would be to compress or slimline the information within it for things that we do not need (ping, server information just to name a couple of things)

10:43 Added after 3 minutes

View PostDava_117, on 08 January 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

No replays are client side. It records only what your client knows and it's the client itself that create it after you leave the battle or the battle ends.

Ok, I understand that now :), but again that can easily be recoded to download all server side information with a simple API system that only executes when the player quits the game or the game ends so that no hacks can be implemented on this system.
10:50 Added after 10 minutes

View PostCossu2, on 08 January 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Someone have been asking that possibility of showing replay from other players view too for years, but it will be never happend. There is major problem for that...

What are the problems?

Edited by MightyBalls_2, 08 January 2019 - 11:55 AM.

Dava_117 #11 Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:01 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20609 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 08 January 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

Ok, I understand that now :), but again that can easily be recoded to download all server side information with a simple API system that only executes when the player quits the game or the game ends so that no hacks can be implemented on this system.

While the implementation may be actually easy and I beth WG already record this kind of replay for their analysis, downloading it to clients may require a lot of band widht.

MightyBalls_2 #12 Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4920 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

View PostDava_117, on 08 January 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

While the implementation may be actually easy and I beth WG already record this kind of replay for their analysis, downloading it to clients may require a lot of band widht.

I banwidth would only be Kbs as it would be a json string of the server side information, other games do it without issue.

EDIT****

Actually they do not need to download anything straight after the game, all that is needed is a small API that captures the game ID and when viewing the replay it downloads the server side information while loading the replay up!.

I am sure that any of my suggestions are not going to be easy, but rather than bringing out OP prem tanks, making new maps that are just corridor maps which no one wants, get them developers to work on the replay system for a month.

If a small team can not make that replay system the bells and working efficiently within a month then I would hire more developers because larger games companies have done it with a shorter timeframe.

Edited by MightyBalls_2, 08 January 2019 - 12:13 PM.

Balc0ra #13 Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67999 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostHomer_J, on 08 January 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

They are working on it.

Console has it. You can watch the replay instantly in the garage when watching the battle results. And in both that and when playing after your tank gets taken out. You can jump from player to player and change camera mode. Inc sniper mode of the person you are observing. But that's only for friendly targets, not hostile. It also has a free cam mode. But unlike the mod, it won't give you more info. And it's limited to a small area around your tank. As it's meant for screenshots more so then learning from it. 

And tbh I can't see how that would make it controversial if it's limited to your own team. As then the enemy team won't get more hidden info if that was your point? 

Homer_J #14 Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30162 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBalc0ra, on 08 January 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

And tbh I can't see how that would make it controversial if it's limited to your own team. As then the enemy team won't get more hidden info if that was your point? 

Limited to your own team would be less open to cheats but still require an increase in bandwidth.

When your own team are out of render range the server stops sending you detailed info as often.  Watch some arty replays from the current free view and you will see friendlies next to the arty disappear when the arty goes into satellite view at the other side of the map.

It might only be a few bytes per player per battle but it adds up.

Server side replays downloaded on request would be a nice to have but nice to haves tend to sit on the bottom of the to do pile.

Cossu2 #15 Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31556 battles
  • [T6L] T6L

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 08 January 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

This will not happen because of the code used, not even replay systems from Fortnite etc are able to do that.

Hi arthurwellsley and thank you :)

I know a couple of things like showing enermy etc all the time at present is not easily done, but after 8 years of the system this could have been achieved.

But on WG tournaments this is already done live so why not implement it into the replays.

I understand that the file size of the replays would dramitically grow in size and I do not know how viable it would be to compress or slimline the information within it for things that we do not need (ping, server information just to name a couple of things)

10:43 Added after 3 minutes

10:50 Added after 10 minutes

What are the problems?

Problem is... that it will fully destroy good profit from programdevelopers.

MightyBalls_2 #16 Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4920 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

View PostCossu2, on 08 January 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

Problem is... that it will fully destroy good profit from programdevelopers.

Business is not your forte I can tell.

Quote of the day

Speculate to accumulate

Losing profit short term but adding value and sustainability to the game which means more profits for longer.

But lets face it, its not losing profit, its just not making as much profit very short term.

Cossu2 #17 Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31556 battles
  • [T6L] T6L

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 08 January 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

Business is not your forte I can tell.

Losing profit short term but adding value and sustainability to the game which means more profits for longer.

But lets face it, its not losing profit, its just not making as much profit very short term.

You dont get it. Its all about developing sideprogram for game... hundred of thousands every month. Much more that premsales

MightyBalls_2 #18 Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4920 battles
  • [MITY] MITY

View PostCossu2, on 08 January 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

You dont get it. Its all about developing sideprogram for game... hundred of thousands every month. Much more that premsales

I am well aware of programing considering its my job, and as mentioned speculate to accumulate, the reason everyone is asking "is this game dying" is because of poor money grabbing decisions rather than actually fixing/improving the things in the game that matter and/or can extend the life of the game.

Extending the life of the game for a sake of just a few hundred thousand is just a grain in the sea to them.

You think that a few hundred thousand euros is why this was not done already, or why other things were not fixed or improved?

No mis-management and greed is why this is.

Edited by MightyBalls_2, 09 January 2019 - 09:08 AM.

Mannanan #19 Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:13 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24446 battles

Write battle results to the replay even I have already quit the battle and playing another one. It shouldn't be hard when WoT client is still running and online as client get these results.

Either in-game player or standalone player which can avoid reloading game assets when watching multiple replays.

At least these two please.

Edited by Mannanan, 09 January 2019 - 09:14 AM.

eekeeboo #20 Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

English Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 45844 battles
  • [0XIDE] 0XIDE

View PostMightyBalls_2, on 09 January 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

I am well aware of programing considering its my job, and as mentioned speculate to accumulate, the reason everyone is asking "is this game dying" is because of poor money grabbing decisions rather than actually fixing/improving the things in the game that matter and/or can extend the life of the game.

Extending the life of the game for a sake of just a few hundred thousand is just a grain in the sea to them.

You think that a few hundred thousand euros is why this was not done already, or why other things were not fixed or improved?

No mis-management and greed is why this is.

As a programmer, you will also be aware of resource allocation and prioritization, why and what benefit comes from a complete overhaul of the replay system when the current one, over-all does the job? How much work is involved in the overhaul what's the end product and for what purpose? When the current one especially requires very little space and relies on client info being replayed not a video file or multi-user data. 

Why would you divert resources to overhaul or create a new replay system when you can instead put them in other areas and keep up the support and making sure the current system doesn't break every new patch. 

View PostMannanan, on 09 January 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

Write battle results to the replay even I have already quit the battle and playing another one. It shouldn't be hard when WoT client is still running and online as client get these results.

Either in-game player or standalone player which can avoid reloading game assets when watching multiple replays.

At least these two please.

Try running 2 instances of the game at the same time and see what happens ;) The replays don't just record a video, but record all the client information and play this back using the client. It's why replays can look iffy because they record the info your client sends and what it gets back which is smoothed out between the client and server during live gameplay, but this obviously doesn't happen when you watch a replay. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users