• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

eekeeboo #1 Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

English Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 45844 battles
  • [0XIDE] 0XIDE

Greetings Tankers! 

Please place your feedback about the new map (Ghost Town) from the 1.4 test in this thread. Please remain on-topic and constructive. 

Good Hunting, 

eek. 

grizly1973 #2 Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20673 battles
  • [BA_RO] BA_RO
Looks literally stunning! Keep the good work up!

SlyMeerkat #3 Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 16901 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Nice to see it come to Randoms

ExistanceUK #4 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16281 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1
Admittedly I have only been on this map twice and both times was driving around far too quickly to take in all the details but I did notice that large parts of the map lack much in the way of vegetation. Yes it's nice that you made many parts have a good deal of undulation but the flanks did seem quite open on initial impression.

The city looks ok, not played in there yet so can't comment too much about it atm.

MajorHyrican #5 Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38229 battles

i like Big Maps can u remake some old Maps where 600 squer 

PRECISE #6 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 27561 battles
The map looks amazing, but the town area is too small. Have you thought about slow heavy tanks? There is not much space they can hapilly play at. I would add more buildings towards the west and east of the town. Also the eastern and western areas are too flat and I think there should be at least few buildings (undestroyable) to make arty safe position. The STRVs will enjoy this map so much because of your positions with higher ground even - to make it easier for them to pull back. I would lower those corner parts and smallen the hard cover (those huge rocks).

DaMP13R #7 Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 41896 battles
  • [THROW] THROW

Note: All images have been placed in spoilers to keep this as compact as possible for non-readers of the post and because of the amount of images etc

Ok so, spent a good few hours on this map - played it many times in its live state for team battles. I do overall like this bigger version however there are a few issues I personally found with it. 

Enlarged Overview of the minimap:

Spoiler

8 to 0 line (marked with a green border):

Spoiler

• Quite flat and open to push forward, yes on the red line some lights and meds can work their way up but they get to a certain point that they can't go past because TDs sitting behind bushes at both ends on elevated ground are ready to melt them Solution: make deeper ridges (think el halluf ridges or the middle trench on Studzianki, high mounds of sand).

• TDs can hide at elevated positions at both ends and dismantle anyone who moves out from the ship hulls. Solution: above ^

• Arty can hit you even behind the ship hull if positioned near the spawn or simply drives to the 1 line location. Solution: add some ruins or an open top 'castle' (think on redshire 1 line).

• Enough bushes for lights but with bushes also covering the TDs in many cases the TD will outspot the LT or they both get lit at the same time thus pointless for the LT to go spotting. Solution: add a few lines of sand blocks so outlines on LTs are harder to pick up (think of the walls on Ensk, you can't see the outline but if you shoot through them you can damage the tank but not as high as those)

• (Overlaps with Town feedback) Tanks can also be hit from 2 gaps through the city on this side, which makes pushing even more difficult. If you aren't shot by the camping TD(s) or arty then you will be shot in the side by city tanks. Solution: change the bushes to walls, full size like Ensk and perhaps put a small tree that can be knocked down.. so if the streets have been cleared you can use those gaps but people will know if someone is there because the walls have been knocked down and the tree has been tossed for cover. (Again this will encourage people to use their experience, blind fire when they see such things happening without spots etc). In the spoiler below you will find 2 pictures of the gaps from the city viewing angle:

Spoiler

Town (marked with a red border):

Spoiler

• Feels very open at many places, whoever takes the dip inside the building in the city controls seems to have a big advantage. Solution: Expand the town out and narrow the borders by 2 extra streets and put in some cover on the open zones inside the city like rubble piles etc. The zone in the blue square is really the focal point instead of the 'city' as a whole. 
Spoiler
  • The current live version of Ghost Town has 'levels' within the town so it rises up at some points and drops down, this version is quite flat which makes streets very difficult to push or maneuver around without exposing a lot of tank. Solution: implement some of the street setups that we have in the current Ghost Town - make the streets rise towards the middle of the city and the diamond in the middle of the map should once again be a plateau.

1 to 3 line(marked with a purple border):

Spoiler
  • First big issue I have with this side is that it's got one big rock half way up and you either can use it to protect yourself from the town or from arty but you must choose. Solution:  If the rock was setup better to allow for side protection.. more like a diamond shaped rock than the rice grain shape it has. Also to reach the rock and to move from the rock onwards you have no bushes, no walls, no rocks to get from dune to rock to dune so you are completely open to the town .. some walls, bushes or something?
  • Once more the ground is quite flat, yes it has rises but what gives? there is little to no protection from arty or camping TDs up the line or hull down tanks. Solution: Like the other side, put trenches or risen dunes.. something to offer protection for people to move up. 
Spoiler
  • The 3 line has railway tracks and bushes at both ends, it's open ground which is completely useless.. if you try to advance up here in direction you will be totally destroyed by anything at the edge of town or at the many TD spots. Solution: Put a train with carriages on the map like the trains on ensk and prok with some derailed on their side offering protection so tanks can advance. 

Conclusion and closing remark:

I'm still working on my feedback for this map so I'll update the points when I find I've made mistakes or need to update with new info whilst the test is ongoing, just quite tired with it atm but with a fresh mind I'll return to look at it again. I don't like how the map encourages people to sit back on the flanks and the city is just too small imo, it has little to encourage you to advance.. you can yolo into the dip inside the building that I marked out in the blue square but otherwise you must stay back or simply meet other heavies and trade out across that square. If you go around the edge of the city you will get sniped by the many TD locations setup. Let's get to the TD locations, there are too many places with too many bushes and elevated to make matters worse... the meta will fast become a campfest once people push forward and get hit from 100 directions on this map. I honestly don't see what is so hard about presenting players with opportunities to push forward on a map.. why are there not more objects for cover, walls.. bushes something to give you a chance if you dare to push W. It feels like someone is half way there with rising up the ground, it needs more of it.. there are small rises in the ground across many places on the map but imo it needs sharper rises and dips.

Edited by DaMP13R, 18 January 2019 - 07:01 PM.

pixelbetyar77 #8 Posted Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13987 battles
  • [HHBG] HHBG

View PostPRECISE, on 16 January 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

The map looks amazing, but the town area is too small. Have you thought about slow heavy tanks? There is not much space they can hapilly play at. I would add more buildings towards the west and east of the town. Also the eastern and western areas are too flat and I think there should be at least few buildings (undestroyable) to make arty safe position.

Yes, the town could be a little bit bigger. Not too much, that would kill the currently usability of the map for every tank types, but it's could be a little bit "longer".

View PostDaMP13R, on 17 January 2019 - 09:32 PM, said:

• The 3 line has railway tracks and bushes at both ends, it's open ground which is completely useless.. if you try to advance up here in direction you will be totally destroyed by anything at the edge of town or at the many TD spots. Solution: Put a train with carriages on the map like the trains on ensk and prok with some derailed on their side offering protection so tanks can advance. 

I understand your point, and it's could be working. But:

• First, there shouldn't be just one long line of wagons. A gap would be needed, a smaller or a larger one, so there are no chance to just run to the other side without the danger of getting shot from both sides, while you try to advance, especially with the introduction of the wheeled vehicles.
  • It could be considerable to put some low profile cargo to the trains, for example some bar steels. That could mean only lover profiled tanks would be aple to hide properly, and not help out some troll Type5 push. They should remain in the city.
  • The availability to shoot in the city from the hills, have to be remained. Because we can't let any push in the city without the ability to support the defense properly with td-s. It's a complete map, for every tank types. If you want to win it, you need to win at least to fronts from the three or even four different ones, which all can get some supporting help from at least one other front. We have too many 3-way piped map already.

Max_Calibre #9 Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20919 battles
  • [T-OG] T-OG

Nice to see a new Map in the game even if its a re-work of a much older Map

However where are Bushes and any Trees? its very open outside of the City and will provide zero cover for ANY vehicles

))Arty will have nowhere to hide oh dear :) and stay safe

)) Light Tanks are all but unless on this Map as scouting is almost a complete zero

)) Heavy Tanks will just hide in the City as only safe place for big over power heavily armoured easy to spot vehicles ~ even HT need bushes and trees when in the open y'know

not sure about the very asymmetric layout it starts to look more like a Mario Super Brothers cartoon game Map from 90's

Still any Map that is NOT just another boring pointless (unless HT) City Brawling HT only Map is a very important addition to the game

** that's if we get to see it much! ~ On the Map server, its 'random' map Rotation is getting back to the bad old days of seeing almost the same 8 ~ 10 Maps every day,  most of the week?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users