• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

CmdRatScabies #81 Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38475 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postslitth, on 10 January 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

But Wargaming doesn’t want people to post their or other people information on their open forum.

Where do WG say they don't want your public profile info posted in a thread?  Would it be okay if it was posted on Reddit instead?

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 10 January 2019 - 11:54 PM.

m1x_angelico #82 Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24004 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

I'm kind of confused with where this thread is going and what is the purpose.

WG has some weird-azz policies, that wouldn't hold up in a court of law if someone chose to take them there. So, how does what WG does or does not want to be published on the forum translate to the Twitch issue?

If you choose to put your actual personal data on a forum (forumite info page), which I personally dont know why anyone would do, and you knew that this information will be publicly available, IMO there is no issue there, unless GDPR directly forbids public display of such personal info, in which case WG should fix this.

slitth #83 Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13009 battles
  • [AL-EU] AL-EU

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 10 January 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:

Where do WG say they don't want your public profile info posted in a thread?  Would it be okay if it was posted on Reddit instead?

Each and every you post on this forum you can see the following just below the space where you type in the message.

"For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy. "

I would say that a big indicator that WG doesn't want you share personal data when posting.

As for the Reddit part of the question. Well that would probably be cover by the many different laws about collecting data and your responsibility for that data.

View Postm1x_angelico, on 11 January 2019 - 01:48 AM, said:

I'm kind of confused with where this thread is going and what is the purpose.

WG has some weird-azz policies, that wouldn't hold up in a court of law if someone chose to take them there. So, how does what WG does or does not want to be published on the forum translate to the Twitch issue?

If you choose to put your actual personal data on a forum (forumite info page), which I personally dont know why anyone would do, and you knew that this information will be publicly available, IMO there is no issue there, unless GDPR directly forbids public display of such personal info, in which case WG should fix this.

The the original purpose was to figure what right you have to claim of a streamer and if the streamer has to react to a someone makes such a claim.

So fare we can say this.

A WoT usename might be personal data because it connect to other personal data in a database. But because the access to this database is restarted it might not be.

But as you find age, birthday and gender via the username on this forum as long at the person choose to share it.

I would argue that some part of the database is open enough to classify the username as personal data.

Whether or not the username is personal inform, you still give WG consent to share it publicly, and that consent last as long as you are a user of WG services.

And as no username can be classified as sensitive information, WG has the right to do this as long as they have you consent.

This constant also allows for steaming of a username, like when you are streaming on Twitch.

So you do not have to ask the other players permission before streaming.

As for the one of the main question. Can you ask for privacy when playing a game while streaming.

Of Course, but if that request is denied it is not a breach of GDPR even if the username is personal information.

Why? because you have to delete your account to remove consent regarding your username.

But there might be other rules in place regarding other players privacy while streaming.

As for the second question. Do a streamer have to react to request to opt-out of the stream.

So far the answer is no, but I say that this is still up to debate as there may be unknown rules in play.

Edited by slitth, 11 January 2019 - 07:56 AM.

Joggaman #84 Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24984 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

grensu #85 Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 37545 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Ooh boy .. A quick course on how data mining works..

To get a username I'd write a script to start going through worldoftanks.EU and start using the account number to find the associated username and make a log file

Then I could reference that file against your forum profile and add all if any info on there and from there to reference against a google search or other databases ..

But here's the thing .. I'd do it all with a script not by looking at a bloody stream and marking usernames one by one .. The thing you're worried for can and will be done so much more efficiently but it still leaves the hurdle of getting past WG's encryption to get anything other than what you have shared publicly anyway .. I doubt a software company like WG would halfass their protection and allow easy injects 

TL;DR you're worried about a pseudo problem and if anyone wanted that kind of info there are far easier methods

slitth #86 Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13009 battles
  • [AL-EU] AL-EU

View Postgrensu, on 11 January 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

Ooh boy .. A quick course on how data mining works..

To get a username I'd write a script to start going through worldoftanks.EU and start using the account number to find the associated username and make a log file

Then I could reference that file against your forum profile and add all if any info on there and from there to reference against a google search or other databases ..

But here's the thing .. I'd do it all with a script not by looking at a bloody stream and marking usernames one by one .. The thing you're worried for can and will be done so much more efficiently but it still leaves the hurdle of getting past WG's encryption to get anything other than what you have shared publicly anyway .. I doubt a software company like WG would halfass their protection and allow easy injects 

TL;DR you're worried about a pseudo problem and if anyone wanted that kind of info there are far easier methods

This not a question of data mining.

As the acquisition of data, with the intent to use in social engineering, are often in different way.

Like the one you mentioned.

But there are real life problem that can occur do in games where a person has a fixed username.

Like SWATting people because they made the player angry.

A SWATting attack starts with someone use a username or gamer-tag to track down other information and then use that information to perform that attract.

But the one instigation the attack may not necessary be playing the game, he might be watching the game.

Now the chance of being victims of a attack because you were seen doing something on a stream is probably just as likely as being hit by lightning on your 90th birthday.

So I wouldn't worry about this.

A far more likely scenario it that someone is playing a game when they shouldn't. And is afraid of being cause became someone they know might see them on a live stream.

Or that fact that the players in the game does not like the person streaming the game, and would like to make sure that they do not appear on the stream in any shape, way or form.

A petty and/or irrational reason I know.

Now the question of the right to a anonymous on a live stream is more philosophical question that a serious one.

I mean how often would you claim this right if you had it?

No, the important part of this is for the ones that stream.

What would happen if a person had this right and made a serious claim and was ignored because you didn't know someone had this right?

SABAOTH #87 Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postslitth, on 09 January 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

If I am playing a match and someone is Twitch streaming or any other streaming of the match can I remove my consent be a part of the stream?

Or does the stream just have to blur out the usernames?

What a bollock.... here you go

DangerMouse #88 Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 28386 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

You always have the option to remove consent, but at that time WG will invoke their option to lock your account.

Full acceptance of the EULA is mandatory, its their service after all, you accept or don't play.

If WG have given consent for the game to be recorded, broadcast, streamed, remember they do this on Twitch themselves, then you probably have agreed to this with the EULA, if you ask for your consent to be removed then it will be, your account will be locked.

DM

m1x_angelico #89 Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24004 battles
  • [-VETO] -VETO

View Postslitth, on 11 January 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

Each and every you post on this forum you can see the following just below the space where you type in the message.

"For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy. "

I would say that a big indicator that WG doesn't want you share personal data when posting.

As for the Reddit part of the question. Well that would probably be cover by the many different laws about collecting data and your responsibility for that data.

The the original purpose was to figure what right you have to claim of a streamer and if the streamer has to react to a someone makes such a claim.

So fare we can say this.

A WoT usename might be personal data because it connect to other personal data in a database. But because the access to this database is restarted it might not be.

But as you find age, birthday and gender via the username on this forum as long at the person choose to share it.

I would argue that some part of the database is open enough to classify the username as personal data.

Whether or not the username is personal inform, you still give WG consent to share it publicly, and that consent last as long as you are a user of WG services.

And as no username can be classified as sensitive information, WG has the right to do this as long as they have you consent.

This constant also allows for steaming of a username, like when you are streaming on Twitch.

So you do not have to ask the other players permission before streaming.

As for the one of the main question. Can you ask for privacy when playing a game while streaming.

Of Course, but if that request is denied it is not a breach of GDPR even if the username is personal information.

Why? because you have to delete your account to remove consent regarding your username.

But there might be other rules in place regarding other players privacy while streaming.

As for the second question. Do a streamer have to react to request to opt-out of the stream.

So far the answer is no, but I say that this is still up to debate as there may be unknown rules in play.

Ok, more clear now, Tnx

Also tagged with Twitch, GDPR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users