WN8

Win Rate WOT Rating

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Lagalaza #1 Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4238 battles

I am sure there are lots of posts about this but wanted an up to date answer from people who have been playing for a while.

1.  Is WN8 on tanks.gg an accurate measure of how well you are performing?

2.  Is the WOT own performance rating a better indication?

3.  Is Win Rate a useful guide?

4.  Are they all better taken together to give an idea overall?

5.  My WN8 is on the up but I have days where no matter what I do I can't get a win. Whether the battle is won or lost seems to have a major effect on WOT rating and WN8, even when I do well in the battles. Am I correct in this assumption?

As an aside, two days ago, 40 battles, 25 wins and a daily WN8 of over 1290. Yesterday, 26 battles, 10 wins and a daily WN8 of under 600!! I played badly a couple of games but in at least 6 of the losses I was in the top three on my team. Still hammered on WN8.

Please don't misunderstand my motives for asking these questions. I am trying to get better at the game and want an accurate yardstick to measure by. I focus mainly on having fun, not the stats, but a standard to attain would be a nice thing to have.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

C_Copia #2 Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3214 battles
WN8 is crap, WNR is better to see how well someone play for the team. WN8 only looks for damage.

BSHDBCG #3 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5813 battles

If nothing else then WN8 can give you a goal to play after, but it is only an indication of how a person is doing overall with all tanks (damagewise).

Which of course means that there are people sitting at 10k matches in low tier tanks to boost it up.

Edited by BSHDBCG, 10 January 2019 - 02:13 PM.

Lagalaza #4 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4238 battles

View PostBSHDBCG, on 10 January 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

If nothing else then WN8 can give you a goal to play after, but it is only an indication of how a person is doing overall with all tanks (damagewise).

Which of course means that there are people sitting at 10k matches in low tier tanks to boost it up.

Is it better to look at the combination of all three, WN8, WNR and the WOT rating? Or should I be watching the damage and experience stats? Are any of the stats really that important?

Baldrickk #5 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31450 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLagalaza, on 10 January 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

5.  My WN8 is on the up but I have days where no matter what I do I can't get a win. Whether the battle is won or lost seems to have a major effect on WOT rating and WN8, even when I do well in the battles. Am I correct in this assumption?

1. Accurate enough that WN9 has been stalled for about 4 years
  2. Yes and no.
    • It has access to statistics that WN8 doesn't, but also factors in things like battle count that doesn't directly affect stats (same player with two identical accounts will have better stats on the most played account despite identical performance).  
    • In practice this matters very little
  3. It's the most reliable at seeing how well you play, given that winning is the goal.  The downside to it is that being a binary value per battle, it converges slower and exhibits more variance in smaller datasets than WN8/PR.
  4. Yes.  No individual metric can fully express everything about a player.  This goes beyond these three metrics as well, yo get a better grasp of a player you need to assess what tiers they are playing, and how well they do at each tier, and so on.
  5. Win rate is a factor in both ratings.
    • It's a fairly small one though.
    • Depending upon how you play, your WN8/PR can be affected in different ways.
    • If you play as a damage farmer / camper, you may see your damage per battle increase as your winrate goes down.
      • This is due to having more targets to shoot at compared to battles where your team surges ahead.
      • If you play in a way that is very team dependant, then you will likely die earlier on average, or get less shots before dying.  This leads to drastically reduced session stats even when you play well.

13:30 Added after 2 minutes

View PostLagalaza, on 10 January 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

Is it better to look at the combination of all three, WN8, WNR and the WOT rating? Or should I be watching the damage and experience stats? Are any of the stats really that important?

Look at the combination of stats. 

Bear in mind that average damage is very heavily influenced by tier,  and average XP includes the premium account bonus, so will vary by whether and how much a player buys premium account time

Hamsterkicker #6 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35753 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK

Dear Lagalaza,

I had a brief look at your stats and all I can say at the moment is that at the level that you are currently playing you should not worry that much about your wn8.

I am saying this because on all tanks you average 1 maybe 2 damaging shots per battle. This is way too little. This also leads to your current damage and destruction ratio's to be both well below 1.0. This means that overall you are not doing enough damage to enemies and b. you are also not making enough kills. My simple suggestion is to start aiming to at least get both ratios up to and above 1, in other words starts focusing in each battle to try to do at least as much damage as your own hit points. Hit your shots but also do stay alive for as long as possible in a battle.

By doing this your overall wn8 will increase drastically without having to look at it.

PPS: IMHO you should not look at your wn8 before having played at least 10 K battles.

Edited by Hamsterkicker, 10 January 2019 - 02:37 PM.

XOR42 #7 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18838 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

What Baldrickk said...

...plus you can keep an eye on your fire for effect (do more dmg than your own hps), fighter, top gun, high calibur and confederate medals as a percentage of your games played to see if you are contributing well.

Lagalaza #8 Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4238 battles

View PostHamsterkicker, on 10 January 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

Dear Lagalaza,

I had a brief look at your stats and all I can say at the moment is that at the level that you are currently playing you should not worry that much about your wn8.

I am saying this because on all tanks you average 1 maybe 2 damaging shots per battle. This is way too little. This also leads to your current damage and destruction ratio's to be both well below 1.0. This means that overall you are not doing enough damage to enemies and b. you are also not making enough kills. My simple suggestion is to start aiming to at least get both ratios up to and above 1, in other words starts focusing in each battle to try to do at least as much damage as your own hit points. Hit your shots but also do stay alive for as long as possible in a battle.

By doing this your overall wn8 will increase drastically without having to look at it.

PPS: IMHO you should not look at your wn8 before having played at least 10 K battle

View PostBaldrickk, on 10 January 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

1. Accurate enough that WN9 has been stalled for about 4 years
  2. Yes and no.
    • It has access to statistics that WN8 doesn't, but also factors in things like battle count that doesn't directly affect stats (same player with two identical accounts will have better stats on the most played account despite identical performance).  
    • In practice this matters very little
  3. It's the most reliable at seeing how well you play, given that winning is the goal.  The downside to it is that being a binary value per battle, it converges slower and exhibits more variance in smaller datasets than WN8/PR.
  4. Yes.  No individual metric can fully express everything about a player.  This goes beyond these three metrics as well, yo get a better grasp of a player you need to assess what tiers they are playing, and how well they do at each tier, and so on.
  5. Win rate is a factor in both ratings.
    • It's a fairly small one though.
    • Depending upon how you play, your WN8/PR can be affected in different ways.
    • If you play as a damage farmer / camper, you may see your damage per battle increase as your winrate goes down.
      • This is due to having more targets to shoot at compared to battles where your team surges ahead.
      • If you play in a way that is very team dependant, then you will likely die earlier on average, or get less shots before dying.  This leads to drastically reduced session stats even when you play well.

13:30 Added after 2 minutes

Look at the combination of stats. 

Bear in mind that average damage is very heavily influenced by tier,  and average XP includes the premium account bonus, so will vary by whether and how much a player buys premium account time

Thanks for all the info. It reinforces what I thought which is look at everything as an overall picture and just focus on improving your gameplay. My damage shots per game have improved drastically after a poor start and my aim every game is to do more damage than my HP. Struggled with a few tanks running stock and 75% crew and playing tier 8 premium before i really new what I was doing!! Much better hang of the importnace of crew, equipment, skills etc and paying attention to how others play is helping. I stay in all battles even when I die early and watch other players and how they do things. I'll hang in there and check my WN8 again when i get up to 8000+ battles. No intention of going higher than tier 7 until I get a good deal better.

Thanks again for the help.

Laatikkomafia #9 Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 22519 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

WN8 and WR tend to go hand in hand.

PR is just WG's nonsense.

Hamsterkicker #10 Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35753 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK
By the way, if you are up to some training, just add me in game and we can play some platoons together.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #11 Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18722 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP
Maybe for now it might be a good idea to leave all those metrics alone. If trying new stuff, which you should be doing, is negatively affecting those stats in the short term, then that is incentive not to do so, is it not?

As suggested already, maybe the focus should be on if you're getting shots out, hitting them and penning them? You know, if you are able to shoot tanks in a tank shooting game. That's what you signed up for anyway, not to get a high value in some metric?

Tijsbeek993 #12 Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9859 battles
  • [JOM] JOM

WN8 is about how much damage. 
If you want high WN8 you should camp.

There is nophing that tells you how good you are. 
Nophing is accerate, WN8 doesn't include spotting so..

malachi6 #13 Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 50920 battles

Biggest issue with WN8 is the manner it can be farmed and how people can use it as an excuse for toxic behaviour.  Best use of WN8 is a gauge to see if you are improving along with win rate.  In battle, it can identify potential threats and teams mates you may have issue with. 

Given the farming mechanics of this so-called skill mechanism.  It is best only to ever use as a guide.  Also be aware has said it is considering stat blocking this year.

JOSEBA_PRIME #14 Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14358 battles
  • [NEUR0] NEUR0

View PostLagalaza, on 10 January 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

I am sure there are lots of posts about this but wanted an up to date answer from people who have been playing for a while.

As an aside, two days ago, 40 battles, 25 wins and a daily WN8 of over 1290. Yesterday, 26 battles, 10 wins and a daily WN8 of under 600!! I played badly a couple of games but in at least 6 of the losses I was in the top three on my team. Still hammered on WN8.

Please don't misunderstand my motives for asking these questions. I am trying to get better at the game and want an accurate yardstick to measure by. I focus mainly on having fun, not the stats, but a standard to attain would be a nice thing to have.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

1. Yes. You also can watch on wotlife Page, It is more simple Page to look wn8. Tanks.gg is better for looking tanks weakspots...

2. Maybe no, maybe yes. WN8s highlight is dmg/tier. Most important stuff for rating is win rate. But you Will increase both together most likely.

3. Yes, try to do your BEST for the victory, never give Up. Wining should be 1st objective for everyone. You Will feel good when u get +50%. As more dmg you make easier to win batles, also if you play 1st 2nd line easier to win than if you Camp back.

4. Yes. Just try your BEST. Try to do always Max dmg posible, to win.. with this 2 facts you Will keep increasing everything.

5. For wn8 most importante fact by far is the dmg, and very low scale wr, kills.. 

In general, I recommend you to don't run to high tiers. Stay at 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Higher you play now less wn8 and wr you Will get apart of dying faster and having less fun. Avoid  playing +8 until you learn a lot of stuff. Look a lot of vídeos, read a lot of posts. Learn about crews, equipments, camo factors, view Ranges, tanks...

Try to have always fun, if you are not having fin you quite And come next day. And don't worry too much about wn8 And that things, keep learning And you Will improve on everything. Also Don't give Up, if you are losing don't worry, try to make most posible shots, don't suicide and stuffs like that. Also on strongolds all the stats don't count and It is a funny mode, And you can learn there a lot, like teams play, focusing... Things that Will make your win rate and batle performace increase.

Also nobody is going to have any problems with your questions. Ask everything you have doubts about. Someone is going to answer you.

In resume Main objective of the Game is to have fun And improve. If you are having fun, then you can put objectives, for example trying to achieve 50%wr, 5000 PR, 1000 wn8. Or tryng to get marks of excelence, or trying to get medals, ace tankers, geting some X...

Shizuthink #15 Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36061 battles
  • [ZEON] ZEON

High WN8 and low winrate usually means the player camps and tends to focus on farming damage over winning games. Low WN8 and high winrate usually means they are being carried in platoons. High winrate and high WN8 usually means the player is pretty good at the game. Low WN8 and low winrate means the opposite. I wouldn't really place any value on the WG-rating you see in-game.

That being said, if you really care about stats, you should take a look at all the stats as a whole and draw your conclusions from there instead of looking at one value that tries to capsulize player skill. Winrate and WN8 both have ways in which they can be manipulated.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25612 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS

In most cases it's a combination of all stat feedback and there's not really any one stat which paints a clear picture of performance since, wn8 can be padded, win rate can also be padded by tooning with 2 unicorns, damage and kills are great but doesn't paint a picture of what and when that was done aka, you shot targets that were not crucial and you also shot targets at a time when the battle was lost and you were pretty absent during the early parts of the battle and crucial engagements. Also, you could get lets say 2 players with 60% win rate and equal wn8. But one plays only tier3 while the other only plays tier8. Now, you tell me which guys stats were more difficult to achieve? Also, a player might adore light tank play and focuses on spotting damage but spotting damage is zero wn8 so that makes wn8 alone not substantial an insight. 

So, like I said, all the boxes need to be ticked to make stats anything really insightful. Tier, spots, damage, kills, wn8 and win rate. Bad teams throw bad stats at players all the time but over a big enough battle count, certain patterns in stats will establish. One thing holds up though, good players have good stats and bad players have bad stats. In any case you shouldn't get worked up about it and don't make stats a major factor of your game. By all means though, use your stats as a general guide on a personal level to monitor your development and see if you're improving and see areas you could improve on etc.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users