M103... I can't make it work apparently.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

OMG_Abaddon #1 Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7471 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

I come here shameless and with a heavy heart. I simply can't make this tank work. Previous tanks in this line have also given me a headache because they drastically change as you progress down the line, every time becoming more notorious hull down beasts. But this one, I don't understand.

It doesn't hull down as well as its predecessors, although it has some great gun depression from the sides.

It doesn't bounce off the glacis or the turret, testing with a friend revealed the stock turret could be overmatched from the sides and pen'd both above and below easily, the turret ring can also be pen'd, and the rest of the angles are trash and overmatched even by T7 tanks. Obviously it can be pierced in the glacis both upper and lower, but lower is much more obvious. Second turret is still weak in the sides, but at least no longer gets overmatched by everyone frontally at 89º.

The precision leaves something to be desired, without the top gun which is still very far apart the 0.4 dispersion means I'll be fighting close-mid range. With it I'm not so sure I want to fight at range anyway, it's very inconsistent, much worse because I have to keep wiggling if I don't want to get pen'd all the time so aim ring is bollocks.

So all in all, the way I see it I'll skip the gun and make it all the way to the E5 as soon as I can, play it nice and easy, and sell afterwards. I bet someone else has had a better experience than me, so I'd love some advice. Please note my resources are scarce, crews are still leveling up their abilities and I'm almost there to have BIA, so don't expect my tank has some sort of magic switch of instantly pulling up the tank by 400% like some people I see around with over 8 skills

cro001 #2 Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30916 battles
  • [GX] GX
M103 is bad, E5 is even worse. Have fun.

lord_chipmonk #3 Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35128 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
The M103 is, alas, rubbish. 

unrealname #4 Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25523 battles

t110e5 is the worst tier 10 heavy by wr for now, so yeah, i have bad news for you, you should of stopped at T29. M103 would be an okay tank if its turret wasnt made out of cardboard.

p.s. m103 and t110e5 are not hulldown tanks, dont play them like t29 or t32, because unlike t29 and t32, those tanks have their largest weakspots on turret

Edited by unrealname, 11 January 2019 - 11:33 PM.

TankkiPoju #5 Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21294 battles
What are you guys talking about, E5 was nerfed just like entire player base wanted, so now everyone should be happy with it. Right?

JocMeister #6 Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:05 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 25008 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 11 January 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

I come here shameless and with a heavy heart. I simply can't make this tank work. Previous tanks in this line have also given me a headache because they drastically change as you progress down the line, every time becoming more notorious hull down beasts. But this one, I don't understand.

It doesn't hull down as well as its predecessors, although it has some great gun depression from the sides.

It doesn't bounce off the glacis or the turret, testing with a friend revealed the stock turret could be overmatched from the sides and pen'd both above and below easily, the turret ring can also be pen'd, and the rest of the angles are trash and overmatched even by T7 tanks. Obviously it can be pierced in the glacis both upper and lower, but lower is much more obvious. Second turret is still weak in the sides, but at least no longer gets overmatched by everyone frontally at 89º.

The precision leaves something to be desired, without the top gun which is still very far apart the 0.4 dispersion means I'll be fighting close-mid range. With it I'm not so sure I want to fight at range anyway, it's very inconsistent, much worse because I have to keep wiggling if I don't want to get pen'd all the time so aim ring is bollocks.

So all in all, the way I see it I'll skip the gun and make it all the way to the E5 as soon as I can, play it nice and easy, and sell afterwards. I bet someone else has had a better experience than me, so I'd love some advice. Please note my resources are scarce, crews are still leveling up their abilities and I'm almost there to have BIA, so don't expect my tank has some sort of magic switch of instantly pulling up the tank by 400% like some people I see around with over 8 skills

Absolutely never ever skip the top gun on the M103. Its what makes the tank.

Its not the best tier 9 HT but it has an undeserved bad reputation. The top gun is amazing and you have amazing -8 dep to work with. Just never ever be still with the turret and give people easy shots on your cupola/turret roof. Use your gun to block the cupola and try to bait shots like you do in the E100. 

You should also seriously consider not grinding the E5 at all. In its current state its pretty much unplayable. 

SABAOTH #7 Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 38915 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostJocMeister, on 12 January 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

Absolutely never ever skip the top gun on the M103. Its what makes the tank.

Its not the best tier 9 HT but it has an undeserved bad reputation. The top gun is amazing and you have amazing -8 dep to work with. Just never ever be still with the turret and give people easy shots on your cupola/turret roof. Use your gun to block the cupola and try to bait shots like you do in the E100. 

You should also seriously consider not grinding the E5 at all. In its current state its pretty much unplayable. 

I actually managed to make it work with the second gun to almost 51%.

This was before changing the old siema Internet so I believe a decent player can get it to 53- 54% with the second gun and save lots of Exp for grinding

T 100 E5 needs some love though :sceptic:

Fighto #8 Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35743 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostTankkiPoju, on 12 January 2019 - 06:44 AM, said:

What are you guys talking about, E5 was nerfed just like entire player base wanted, so now everyone should be happy with it. Right?

It was nerfed because it was an American tank. 

gunslingerXXX #9 Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11769 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 11 January 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

I struggled with it as well. I did go for the top gun and it is really a good improvement to the tank. If you really hate it though, just skip it.

It annoyed me very much that I kept getting shot in the turret, especially after the T-32. What I learned from playing the M103 it is to keep moving (rocking back and forth) so they can't easily overmatch your turret roof. Also it's important to keep facing the enemy and not show your side turret (and hull).

I do notice some improvement from BIA, especially not fully aimed shots seem to hit more with BIA in the USA heavy line. 

Hope this helps and I hope you will get a better experience once you get BIA.

unrealname #10 Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25523 battles

View PostFighto, on 12 January 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

It was nerfed because it was an American tank. 

well i guess that at the time it was super OP, other tanks still had the oldschool  armor layouts with weakspots, not very good guns(i wasnt around when all the e5 OP thing was going on). Then wg nerfed e5, but not long after that, they started to introduce much more powerful tanks than e5 ever was, buffed other oldschool ones. So e5 became even worse then it was in the old days(because of less gold spam). 

TL;DR E5 is bad not because its totally useless tank, its because other vehicles are so much better with similar gameplay.

SABAOTH #11 Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 38915 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postunrealname, on 12 January 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

well i guess that at the time it was super OP, other tanks still had the oldschool  armor layouts with weakspots, not very good guns(i wasnt around when all the e5 OP thing was going on). Then wg nerfed e5, but not long after that, they started to introduce much more powerful tanks than e5 ever was, buffed other oldschool ones. So e5 became even worse then it was in the old days(because of less gold spam). 

TL;DR E5 is bad not because its totally useless tank, its because other vehicles are so much better with similar gameplay.

Still, e5 is pretty much disregarded by WG. It's a pity is a nice tank to play with a bit of rework

TankkiPoju #12 Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21294 battles

View Postunrealname, on 12 January 2019 - 01:26 PM, said:

E5 in current state would be bad even if WG had not introduced any new tanks in the game. The cupola weakspot is just so terrible, it ruins the tank.

Hammerhead20 #13 Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26078 battles

I recently managed to get 3rd MoE for this tank.

But it's not the best one.

Sometimes armour is trolling you and sometimes, you can't block anything... 

M103 is slow, top gun average and armour is seriously nothing special.

You can play with this vehicle aggresively only against lower tier opponents.

Against higher tier opponents you have to be more like a "support" vehicle because your armour is trash.

In general, M103 is one of the worst tier IX heavy tanks. Atleast I think so.

ValkyrionX #14 Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48130 battles
  • [O-L-T] O-L-T

m103 need more armor on the turret , is very patethic atm imo

same thing for the poor e5 , that cupola must be removed/reduced

RIP usa heavy tanks

p.s

t32 need gun buff accuracy/penetration/aim time buff

gpalsson #15 Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

General

• Player
  • 23123 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It's because it's crap. I couldn't make it work either, so it must be crap- right? :)

OMG_Abaddon #16 Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7471 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 12 January 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

Hope this helps and I hope you will get a better experience once you get BIA.

Thanks, they are about 200 games away from BIA according to the data, I don't think I'll have that many games in this tank anyway. But the troops will be reallocated on the T57 Heavy if I manage to climb that branch at some point (currently on stock M7)

----

I see everyone pretty much concurs on this tank being underwhelming... Ah well, tough luck. Thanks everyone.

Edited by OMG_Abaddon, 12 January 2019 - 11:36 PM.

the_Haba #17 Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26810 battles

I think the most eye opening moment for me was when I was derping with a T57 Heavy and unloaded an entire clip into the cupola of some tryhard E5 player. I mean, the guy was playing perfectly hull down and he got penned with every shot. The Russkies, they REALLY do hate the Americans.

(T57 Heavy certainly won't be any more viable)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users