Flipping the tank - Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Rainbowkiss83 #1 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18073 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE
Sooo...i flipped my BC-12 at the beginning of a match.
Happens.
BUT while i was standing there on my left side askin for help and trying to get again on the road (9 minutes where i managed to spot another light ad get an awesome 95damage for spot) i tought a bit.
WHY ffs a crew would just stand inside a flipped tank doing nothing like a bunch of rtards?
Considering light and sometimes mediums, a tank weight is for sure heavy but in some way you can manage with a group of men to put it back in position.
A tank is inrl equipped with tons of ustensiles  and applying a lot of physic (archimede's lever anyone?) you should be able to do something.
So without goin any furter here's my proposal.
If a tank flip on the sides (i'm not takin in consideration when it gets upside down as you get destroyed in a few seconds...wich still i do not understand why anyway) just give a certain amount of time and then you can get back in position.
For example: 
LT: 3 minutes
Medium: 5 minutes
TD-SPGs: depend on the weight
HEavies: 7 minutes
Or for example you could calibrate it based on the weight of the tank...
Or just let it explode like when it's upside down!
In know that just a few minutes to flip over a tank of 44 tons is unrealistic (not speaking for the superheavies wich prolly you would never roll with bare hands) but wot is not about realism isn't it?
Still a bit of logic would be appreciated 
(soz for any grammar error it's late night and i'm a bit sleepy)

Sharian #2 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:35 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 56551 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

Welcome to the world of WG's awesome mechanics :teethhappy:

SABAOTH #3 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 38976 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

Try this

Rainbowkiss83 #4 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

Private

• Player
  • 18073 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE

View PostSABAOTH, on 12 January 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

Try this

This sir...happened in front of me.
I saw a MAUS pushing and IS7 to the wall and then flipping it 
I've done it with my kv5 aswell with "random tank i cannot remember"
Was so awesome!

Homer_J #5 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
There should be something for being on your side, either destruction or self righting.  Sitting there for 14 minutes with no option but to desert isn't fun.

FrantisekBascovansky #6 Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14566 battles
I suggest the same for tracking :)

PervyPastryPuffer #7 Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

Major

• Player
  • 31920 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

I know a fix: Don't flip.

Driving a pixel tank shouldn't require a driving license...I can't remember the last time I flipped my tank.

It takes having a worrying lack of physics knowledge to flip a freaking TANK...

Pansenmann #8 Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34805 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
actually, with some Game knowledge and a magnetic  Rock you can flip any tank. :-)

Homer_J #9 Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 13 January 2019 - 01:47 AM, said:

It takes having a worrying lack of physics knowledge to flip a freaking TANK...

Or just manoeuvring close to a wall.

My last flip was while trying to adjust my arty position while in satellite view at the other side of the map.

gpalsson #10 Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

General

• Player
  • 23146 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPansenmann, on 13 January 2019 - 03:01 AM, said:

actually, with some Game knowledge and a magnetic Rock you can flip any tank. :-)

Do you mean one of the soap rocks? 

250swb #11 Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23165 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHomer_J, on 13 January 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Or just manoeuvring close to a wall.

My last flip was while trying to adjust my arty position while in satellite view at the other side of the map.

Maneuvering close to a wall definitely won't flip your tank, but maneuvering up a wall will. So it's realistic modelling from WG, the wall isn't magically flipping you but real world physics is.

It's easy enough to tell the OP that he'll be more careful next time and maybe he's learned something about himself and his pixel tank. But accidents happen and as it's only a game it would be a shame if there wasn't an answer. A three man crew lifting a 12 ton BatChat isn't going to work, and unless a tank has a winch tanks don't carry self righting equipment, if they flip on the battlefield they are abandoned. So a method that would suit all types of tanks would be the option of a 'recovery vehicle' perhaps as a consumable in one of the available slots. So tanks that regularly flip such as light tanks can maybe substitute 'fire extinguisher' with 'recovery'. Tanks (or players) that don't flip wouldn't need 'recovery' and equip as usual. It wouldn't be a fast recovery because there needs to be a downside to flipping, but it would mean the player can continue.

Homer_J #12 Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post250swb, on 13 January 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

Maneuvering close to a wall definitely won't flip your tank, but maneuvering up a wall will. So it's realistic modelling from WG, the wall isn't magically flipping you but real world physics is.

It's not realistic, there is no way the sides of steel tracks would get enough purchase on a vertical wall to climb it like it does in WoT.

The wall climbing is an unfortunate side effect of fixing the much more annoying (but probably more realistic) sticking to walls feature we had previously and that I can live with.

But once you are stuck on your side there needs to be some way to either destroy your tank or get it back upright.  If you do the wall climbing trick then even if someone comes to help you are generally so close to the wall you can't be flipped back.

Being able to scuttle my tank when I have had the inverted icon showing for more than 60 seconds would be a perfectly acceptable solution for me.

Edited by Homer_J, 13 January 2019 - 09:44 AM.

1ucky #13 Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76938 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-

Absolutely.

If tracks can be fixed in a couple of seconds while the crew still loads, traverses and fires the gun as usual at the same time, why not after a while unflip a freaking tank?

It's not cool game design, having magical healing/repair abilities, but if you ever flip a tank, oh boy, your 15mins are fckd.

I'd say unflip it after maybe a minute or so?

Or 30 seconds?

Or maximum 90 sec, same as the repair/med kit cooldown.

Or alternatively, make some sort of alarm/ping signal that teammates can hear and see on the map, so they know a teammate is flipped and they should go unflip him.

Or, make it somehow impossible to flip over....

If you're not allowed to climb (thanks to invisible walls or soaped up rocks), why should you be allowed to crash or get stuck and have your game fcked?

Archaean #14 Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16029 battles
  • [S4LT] S4LT

I thought about it too, for exactly two seconds until I debunked that idea myself.

Just imagine a 12 ton object and you want to flip it with 3 crew members. These crew members must be pretty strong!

slitth #15 Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12459 battles
  • [AL-EU] AL-EU

A way to right a tank would be nice, even if it would be used rarely.

But there should be a cost.

Like the use of a repair kit.

PervyPastryPuffer #16 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31920 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostHomer_J, on 13 January 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

It's not realistic, there is no way the sides of steel tracks would get enough purchase on a vertical wall to climb it like it does in WoT.

It's not the side of the tracks sticking to the wall side, it's the other track which turns the tank towards that wall which gives the track on the wall enough grip to climb it.

It's being pushed against the wall with a considerable amount of force.

To be completely fair though, most such walls should be crushed by the weight of the tank. I doubt a Maus could climb up a side of a brick house without damaging it.

Homer_J #17 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30176 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostPervyPastryPuffer, on 13 January 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

It's not the side of the tracks sticking to the wall side, it's the other track which turns the tank towards that wall which gives the track on the wall enough grip to climb it.

It's being pushed against the wall with a considerable amount of force.

To be completely fair though, most such walls should be crushed by the weight of the tank. I doubt a Maus could climb up a side of a brick house without damaging it.

Like you say it would grind a hole in the wall rather than climb it.  But that's not the issue.  I'm quite OK with it flipping the tank on it's side.  It's having to sit there 14 minutes that needs getting rid of.

Rainbowkiss83 #18 Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 18073 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE

View Postslitth, on 13 January 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

A way to right a tank would be nice, even if it would be used rarely.

But there should be a cost.

Like the use of a repair kit.

I was thinkin the same, altough using a repair kit could be used to fasten the procedure.
Like the other modules of the tank wich get repaired automatically we could consider the flipped tank as the same problem, even if, considering the rarity of the problem (compared to others) i vow the use of a repair kit to get back in position (we could consider this like the damaged ammo storage wich do not get repaired auto but with a repair kit)

Edit: addendum, ofc we should consider the flipping of a tank as a combat action...like when i saw the maus flipping the IS.
Considering this, we could apply somethig that work like binocs and camos----> you have to stand still for a certain amount of seconds to get back in position, otherwise you would not be able to flip back.
This would prevent 2 things:
1- graphic bugs when someone is in combat and use the kit and "kaboom" youre magically back in position maybe  on the top of another tank
2- same thing but with someone trying to help you and you magically flip back melted with their tank

Edited by Rainbowkiss83, 13 January 2019 - 12:55 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #19 Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8070 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Here's a suggestion:

Learn to drive.

Rainbowkiss83 #20 Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 18073 battles
  • [_HATE] _HATE