Jump to content


(Understanding is better that judging) Disability Etiquette


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

PanzerKFeldherrnhalle #1 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:07 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 3196 battles
  • 816
  • [TIMES] TIMES
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013
The question was: What do (edited) people eat? The answers were: Burger King. Graham crackers. Assuming they aren't on a pureed diet because of swallowing problems, whatever the caregivers fix, usually whatever the caregivers feel like eating and/or spending the [edited]' money on. Sometimes fast food but keeping up with receipts and mileage isn't a strong point with minimum wage under-educated care staff (at least not the staff I had working for me), so they don't go out as much as you would think.
Then someone asked: How do (edited) people spend their free-time? The answers were: Keeping them occupied is easier that you think. Most of the time you can give them ordinary objects (a spoon, a piece of plastic, even a sock), and they can play with it for hours. My son likes the xylophone (he's 41), but doesn't use the beaters / stickers. He's delighted to hit the keys with his fingers, randomly, sometimes throw the xylophone against other things in his room, and has a fixation on the first and last keys. When he hits a key and it doesn't make a sound, he drops a very innocent smile. He enjoys it.

This is it. "He enjoys it". It doesn't matter why, or how. Some people do enjoy it.

Edited by eekeeboo, 15 January 2019 - 06:47 PM.


kaneloon #2 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 30946 battles
  • 3,644
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0
  • Member since:
    11-18-2011
Nicely told. I wish you and your son to keep faith and courage.

SuedKAT #3 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,990
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014
I mainly drink mulled wine and eat toast with raspberry jam on them, does that mean something to you?

PanzerKFeldherrnhalle #4 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 3196 battles
  • 816
  • [TIMES] TIMES
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View Postkaneloon, on 14 January 2019 - 10:13 PM, said:

Nicely told. I wish you and your son to keep faith and courage.

 

Thank you, appreciate it. And this isn't just true of the mentally disabled. People who suffer from physical disabilities (spinal cord injuries, people on wheelchairs, people who miss fingers or arms) can also take something from computer games. Many disabled folk can play / move things around with only the mouse buttons. Those enjoy it too.
22:21 Added after 1 minute

View PostSuedKAT, on 14 January 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

I mainly drink mulled wine and eat toast with raspberry jam on them, does that mean something to you?

 

I don't have a toaster. It's impossible to get all the breadcrumbs from inside it.

SuedKAT #5 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:23 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,990
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View PostPanzerKFeldherrnhalle, on 14 January 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

I don't have a toaster. It's impossible to get all the breadcrumbs from inside it.

Pressure washer will solve that.



Yakito #6 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 20019 battles
  • 1,439
  • Member since:
    05-03-2011
Ok, but does he play world of tanks?

Nishi_Kinuyo #7 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 9036 battles
  • 6,239
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

Just what does one define as a disability?

The example the OP gives quite definitely is one, but what about less... disabling... disabilities?

 

Quite a few people seem to have taking to calling people autists, for example, and that is a really wide disability spectrum.

Which can range from people who have severe trouble functioning in society due to intellectual disability, to people of regular intellectual capacity who can function with only minor adjustments, to people who end up being top-notch researchers but would have trouble holding more conventional jobs.

The main issue with autism in people of conventional and higher intellect, is learning how to deal with their particularities, and through that being able to function mostly normal in society. Chances are you'll have encountered one, or several, with the main thing being that you notice there's something a bit off but can't quite put a finger on what; or you might not even have noticed at all.

 

For example, I think there's at least a few forumites around here who have autism. Some will happily admit to having it. But I doubt they're the worst players on WoT-EU.

Case example: me. :teethhappy:

View PostPanzerKFeldherrnhalle, on 14 January 2019 - 11:19 PM, said:

Thank you, appreciate it. And this isn't just true of the mentally disabled. People who suffer from physical disabilities (spinal cord injuries, people on wheelchairs, people who miss fingers or arms) can also take something from computer games. Many disabled folk can play / move things around with only the mouse buttons. Those enjoy it too.

Hm.. true.

I've known a guy who used to work at my company who had brain damage due to a motorcycle accident.

Yeah, you notice there's something off about him, but I've learned not to judge people I have to work with and we ended up getting along decently enough.

Had a company LAN party once where we played some FPS game, and he wasn't exactly good at it.

Doesn't mean he can't have fun playing it, but sometimes (especially in more competitive games I suppose) a little help might be needed.

For example, a few times during said LAN party, I noticed that he was one of the enemies currently shooting at me, and I intentionally played poorly against him so he'd have the fun of getting a few kills that evening.

Was that a fair thing to do? Maybe, maybe not, but as long as everybody is enjoying themselves, it can't be really wrong.

 

That said, I do wonder if online competitive games are what such people should be playing though.



BeefCrtinBandit #8 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 7185 battles
  • 697
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
  • Member since:
    05-03-2016
so you're saying 200K of WoT's playerbase is like your son, I believe you. Also, very saddened.

malachi6 #9 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:49 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 50920 battles
  • 4,250
  • Member since:
    04-14-2011

View PostCraftyVeteran, on 15 January 2019 - 12:37 AM, said:

so you're saying 200K of WoT's playerbase is like your son, I believe you. Also, very saddened.

 

He's not saying that.  He is saying you cannot be sure.  And frankly, it speaks volumes that you missed that part.

anonym_32bOyLluvSuR #10 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:10 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 799
  • Member since:
    07-31-2019

Well there is some truth in what the op says if people are having fun regardless of ability, then hopefully they're on the enemy team



PanzerKFeldherrnhalle #11 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 3196 battles
  • 816
  • [TIMES] TIMES
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostYakito, on 14 January 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

Ok, but does he play world of tanks?

 

Yes, everyday, that's why I'm posting this. Dwarren plays the KV-3 on sniper mode but mostly the Lorraine 155 mle. 51, the M12, M40/M43 and the M53/M55. And so do thousands of other players who out of necessity NEED to play tanks that mostly require the mouse buttons.

 

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 14 January 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

I've known a guy who used to work at my company who had brain damage due to a motorcycle accident.

Yeah, you notice there's something off about him, but I've learned not to judge people I have to work with and we ended up getting along decently enough.

Had a company LAN party once where we played some FPS game, and he wasn't exactly good at it.

Doesn't mean he can't have fun playing it, but sometimes (especially in more competitive games I suppose) a little help might be needed.

For example, a few times during said LAN party, I noticed that he was one of the enemies currently shooting at me, and I intentionally played poorly against him so he'd have the fun of getting a few kills that evening.

Was that a fair thing to do? Maybe, maybe not, but as long as everybody is enjoying themselves, it can't be really wrong.

 

That said, I do wonder if online competitive games are what such people should be playing though.


Yes, great testimony. I tend to think that arty players who drown themselves (and those are a minority) aren't disabled, but 92% of all others who don't do it are likely to suffer from disabilities and do the best they can with their mouses. The point is, if they didn't have fun, they wouldn't play.



TheDrownedApe #12 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 49507 battles
  • 6,374
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

Good on you OP, my lad (17 now) is "on the spectrum" but is just starting to be able to manage his conditions now and his (and our) life is becoming more straight forward. Nothing like you have been through but enough to understand the changes it brings to what is "normal"


 

Not sure I'm correct in this assumption as I only play tanks but...


 

Don't all the other MMO games have the option to pay extra for special skill servers or have leagues with different skill levels?  Is WoT alone in sticking the "I play for fun" with the "I play to win" types?



NUKLEAR_SLUG #13 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 34085 battles
  • 4,400
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 15 January 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

Don't all the other MMO games have the option to pay extra for special skill servers or have leagues with different skill levels?  Is WoT alone in sticking the "I play for fun" with the "I play to win" types?

 

There are plenty of clan/strongholds/teambattles for the super competitive types. If someone clicks the battle button on the random queue then they shouldn't be complaining about what they get. Clue is in the name after all.



Frostilicus #14 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 23551 battles
  • 3,466
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 15 January 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

 

There are plenty of clan/strongholds/teambattles for the super competitive types. If someone clicks the battle button on the random queue then they shouldn't be complaining about what they get. Clue is in the name after all.

 

This seems to have gone by the wayside in recent times.

I can't find the source, but I remember from a few years back that the idea was you moved out of Random Battles if you wanted more structured gameplay - if you couldn't do that for whatever reason, then Randoms were a melting pot of all abilities to tide you over - I think there was a Serb quote along the lines of "Good players will pwn in randoms"

Recently, it seems that along with the misuse of the term "bot", Randoms are having some kind of minimum skill level applied to them, along with all kind of weird analogies :)



ThinGun #15 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 40036 battles
  • 2,586
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO
  • Member since:
    12-08-2014
Understanding that people may have different abilities seems to be something that is sadly missing in today's society.  It's lack of empathy, caused by lack of genuine social interaction.  Basically, get off your phone, and look around at the world ...

SuedKAT #16 Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 12154 battles
  • 7,990
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-21-2014

View PostThinGun, on 15 January 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

Understanding that people may have different abilities seems to be something that is sadly missing in today's society.  It's lack of empathy, caused by lack of genuine social interaction.  Basically, get off your phone, and look around at the world ...

 

Very true, however I doubt anyone regardless if they have a disability or not would enjoy being labeled as a retard as OP put it, however as you say understanding others, their viewpoints and opinions is something which for sure is in a downwards spiral at the moment.

 

All of of +1 votes though, not sure why that's still a thing...



Jinx79 #17 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 15868 battles
  • 194
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV
  • Member since:
    02-15-2013

I've got to be honest I opened this thread with a little bit of trepidation.  Really the only thing that pushes my buttons online is the use of disabilities as an insult.  My youngest son has a rare chromosome disorder (rare enough that it doesn't get a user friendly name, just a chromosome designation) so I was pleasantly surprised to see a positive post from the OP.  It would be nice if others could consider that a person's disabilities are very rarely obvious when you are on the internet so when people lambaste others for bad play I wish they could take a step back and consider that there may be a reason.

 

Cheers

 

jinx



Signal11th #18 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 44207 battles
  • 6,338
  • [S3AL] S3AL
  • Member since:
    07-14-2011

View Postmalachi6, on 14 January 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:

 

He's not saying that.  He is saying you cannot be sure.  And frankly, it speaks volumes that you missed that part.

 

Nope we got that it's just that we should all be nice to everyone who's making you lose just in case the one person "might be disabled" We aren't to know what the person who has just yoloed straight ahead or is randomly shooting his own team mates is doing it because he/she doesn't know any different, some people play to win as that's their "enjoyment" and I can fully understand why some people lose their crapwhen some random person completely screws up a game for them.

Fair enough someone has a disability and is trying new stuff or stuff they enjoy but also don't forget they are playing with thousands of people who don't know (and some of the angrier people whom don't care)if the person is disabled or not.

 

 


Edited by signal11th, 15 January 2019 - 12:44 PM.


BKatt #19 Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 36848 battles
  • 590
  • Member since:
    04-28-2013

In a perfect World, we would All just get along. Understanding and repecting eachother....

 

Yeaaah well, this is WoT, and not a perfect world.

 

Ofcourse the window-lickers have a right to derp around and do their thing.

Just as i have a right to be frustrated, when theyre on my team. Driving their super Heavy into the water, because its "fun".



Stimpeltje #20 Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 29120 battles
  • 1,145
  • [SI-S] SI-S
  • Member since:
    09-06-2010

I only have 1 question

 

Is it ok for people to enjoy themselves at the expense of other peoples enjoyment?






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users