Wheeled Vehicles or Light Tanks

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Killer_Baboon #1 Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8916 battles
As the title suggests, for what you have seen, played, do you feel the light tanks or the new wheeled vehicles are better for their respective tier. Obviously, this will depend on what light tank they are compared to, but I mean more overall. This also might already be a topic, so if so, apologies. 

Edited by Killer_Baboon, 16 January 2019 - 07:36 PM.

Baldrickk #2 Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31337 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
They have different strengths

Homer_J #3 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Not better, just different.

BlackBloodBandit #4 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1719 battles

I think light tanks are stronger. The bad view range is an important point that will let you down and there are a lot of maps were you will have an even more hard playing in. The guns aren't that special either.

The only thing that stands out on wheeled vehicles is gun performance on short range and speed. Also I think the skill level needed to perform well in wheeled vehicles is even higher then in lights, because you're more vulnerable then a light already is, even though you can't get tracked.

This is my opinion based on several video's I watched from CC's.

Edited by BlackBloodBandit, 16 January 2019 - 08:21 PM.

Killer_Baboon #5 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8916 battles

View PostBlackBloodBandit, on 16 January 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

I think light tanks are stronger. The bad view range is an important point that will let you down and there are a lot of maps were you will have an even more hard playing in. The guns aren't that special either.

The only thing that stands out on wheeled vehicles is gun performance on short range and speed. Also I think the skill level needed to perform well in wheeled vehicles is even higher then in lights, because you're more vulnerable then a light already is, even though you can't get tracked.

This is my opinion based on several video's I watched from CC's.

I felt I bounced off them a lot for some reason when playing against them on the test server, and thats with like 122mm guns and higher 

gunslingerXXX #6 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11845 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

I would guess the lights are better in 8 out of 10 situations. However the wheeled vehicles are more fun (subjectively) and WoT is still a game...

19:35 Added after 0 minutes

View PostKiller_Baboon, on 16 January 2019 - 08:25 PM, said:

I felt I bounced off them a lot for some reason when playing against them on the test server, and thats with like 122mm guns and higher 

they do bounce quite a lot in the wheels

Discontinued #7 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3644 battles
How about half tracks 

qpranger #8 Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 34729 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View PostDiscontinued, on 16 January 2019 - 09:43 PM, said:

How about half tracks 

I have wanted them for years.

Purely platonically of course.

arthurwellsley #9 Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52684 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

When I was young I had a friend, David who owned an M5 half track.

It nearly killed us, but then saved us.

We took it up to the moors. David had permission to put dye in streams and springs, to find the source of underground caverns, because David was a caver. David had the necessary permissions to open a spring to see where the system underneath lead. There were several of us in the truck with spades and pick axes etc. We were going to widen the spring out, and then wriggle into it.

However, to save time David also had a licence to use explosives.

David and two others set the explosives in the spring, and trailed the wire away and we all crouched behind the parked M5. The wires were attached and the explosives set, a huge boom ensued, the shock wave from which tipped the M5 up and onto one track, whereupon we all thought that the damn thing was going to fall on us and flatten us.

Thankfully it fell back down onto the side it had tipped up from thanks to gravity.

But then tons of rock and mud began falling out of the sky and we all had to dive under the M5, which saved us from any harm. Stuff feel out of the sky onto the M5 like a hard rain as we cowered underneath it.

Post mortem inquest was held. David - when I did the calculation I added 10% more bang as I do not enjoy digging. Checker #1 - when I was checking David's work I added 10% more bang as I do not enjoy digging. Checker#2 when I went over the wires and bang I added 10% more as I do not enjoy digging.

We all nearly copped it due to 30% too much bang.

I am still alive and typing this due to an M5!

Postcript David went on to become a well thought after landscape gardener, checker#1 is now a history professor, and checker#2 is now a thoracic surgeon.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 16 January 2019 - 09:51 PM.

DeadLecter #10 Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26628 battles

I think they will break the game even more. There are some tanks in the game that are only useful if they stay hidden and rely on that to be effective. New tanks running around at 105 KpH will easily spot those tanks and render them useless. And that is when the driver is a good player. If the driver is bad, he just dies in the first 5 seconds of the battle. They have even worse guns that the current scouts and soon we will have lots of battles with these guys dying in 20 seconds with 0 damage. They have the potential to be great but only if the player knows what he is doing. And since the majority of the players don't even know the name of the tank they drive, they will mistake the game with Forza series and will start getting drag races with others,

Next year WG will add attack helicopter and fighter jets. These tanks should not ever come to this game. Right now battles end in less than 5 minutes. 99% of TX games have 6~7 dead in under 3 minutes. With these tanks, this will just get worse. They either die quickly or spot everyone and win in 3 minutes.

malowany #11 Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5876 battles
  • [H-O-A] H-O-A
I dont understand introducing 100 km/h tanks into the game while still keeping the maps claustrophobic and extremely enclosed. Also DeadLecter is right, some TDs are going to get hit hard. I feel like WG is trying to really cash in on the rock, paper , scissors thing but instead they are making shovel, condom, avocado 

juonimies #12 Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:48 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45077 battles
  • [KARJU] KARJU

View PostDeadLecter, on 16 January 2019 - 09:33 PM, said:

I think they will break the game even more. There are some tanks in the game that are only useful if they stay hidden and rely on that to be effective. New tanks running around at 105 KpH will easily spot those tanks and render them useless. And that is when the driver is a good player. If the driver is bad, he just dies in the first 5 seconds of the battle. They have even worse guns that the current scouts and soon we will have lots of battles with these guys dying in 20 seconds with 0 damage. They have the potential to be great but only if the player knows what he is doing. And since the majority of the players don't even know the name of the tank they drive, they will mistake the game with Forza series and will start getting drag races with others,

Next year WG will add attack helicopter and fighter jets. These tanks should not ever come to this game. Right now battles end in less than 5 minutes. 99% of TX games have 6~7 dead in under 3 minutes. With these tanks, this will just get worse. They either die quickly or spot everyone and win in 3 minutes.

Games become even faster than what they are now. Of course. Faster games = more profit to WG per time unit. 

Just logical. 

OreH75 #13 Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50147 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostDeadLecter, on 16 January 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

I bet most of them die quickly when they rush enemy base, spot all enemies 100m from cap and then yell "omg, noobteam! I spot all but no damage"   not realizing no one was actually in a position to shoot...

FrantisekBascovansky #14 Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15770 battles
as always, 85% of playerbase will suck big time in wheeled vehicles, minority will PadHard for sure, but yes, it will break the game some more, but not too much...

Dava_117 #15 Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20900 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDeadLecter, on 16 January 2019 - 10:33 PM, said:

Considering that camping TDs got a huge buff with increased vegetation in 1.0 and have free high position sniping balcony, I couldn't care less if those campers get proxispotted by wheeled veicles and then nuked. I doubt will happen so much unfortunately, cause those campers also can easily outspot the armoured cars and relocate.

But IMO, even if just marginal, any nerf to passive players and consequent increase on the active gamplay is welcome!

Edited by Dava_117, 17 January 2019 - 09:53 AM.

Cobra6 #16 Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16418 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

The light tanks will definitely be better at their tier compared to the wheeled vehicles because:

- Wheeled vehicles are completely blind.

- Wheeled vehicles lack competitive DPM.

Thing is though, from tier 8 upwards light tanks already get less competitive where on tier 10 they are underperforming pretty much across the board, so if wheeled vehicles will even be less competitive they will be pretty much useless.

Cobra 6

TankkiPoju #17 Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21624 battles

View PostCobra6, on 17 January 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Thing is though, from tier 8 upwards light tanks already get less competitive where on tier 10 they are underperforming pretty much across the board, so if wheeled vehicles will even be less competitive they will be pretty much useless.

Cobra 6

Come on dude, EBR 105 is like totally competitive against Type 5s and other tier 10 armored tanks with that 190mm of pen.

And the amazing 240mm of HEAT pen! I feel a nerf coming on here, why hasn't WG thought of all the helpless IS3As, Defenders and O-Hos this thing will eat just for breakfast.

Not to mention the DPM! Hohlee moses! This thing rivals even tier 5 light tanks such as T-50.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 17 January 2019 - 10:10 AM.

Spioszeqq #18 Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12719 battles
I wonder if wheeled vechicles will get seperate personal missions or they keep personal missions from light tanks. And back in topic i hope those cars will make arties life more difficult.

Simeon85 #19 Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 1101 battles

View PostDava_117, on 17 January 2019 - 09:52 AM, said:

Considering that camping TDs got a huge buff with increased vegetation in 1.0 and have free high position sniping balcony, I couldn't care less if those campers get proxispotted by wheeled veicles and then nuked. I doubt will happen so much unfortunately, cause those campers also can easily outspot the armoured cars and relocate.

But IMO, even if just marginal, any nerf to passive players and consequent increase on the active gamplay is welcome!

Yeh agree if it impacts camping TDs and arty I can only think that is a good thing, too much base camping going on in the OP base camping spots, too many TDs and arty in general which create passive games so if wheeled vehicles impact that meta then its a positive change in my eyes.

But I also agree that it'll happen, those new bushes are just too strong, light tanks and meds with like 500m view range can barely spot tanks so I don't see how the wheeled vehicles will spot them unless they literally drive into them and I doubt they'll make it that far. On live, driving towards those corner camping spots on Erlenberg for example, with like 4-5 high tier TDs in there, even at 105kph I can't the WV making it there alive to spot them. 

View PostCobra6, on 17 January 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

The light tanks will definitely be better at their tier compared to the wheeled vehicles because:

- Wheeled vehicles are completely blind.

- Wheeled vehicles lack competitive DPM.

Cobra 6

Well that is the issue, at higher tiers lights are not competitive anyway so I doubt the wheeled vehicles will be either seeing as they are blind and have even more terrible guns than the high tier lights, especially the tier 9 and 10.

The tier 8 and below more match the lights with their guns but are even more blind and not as fast so not sure they are going to be better than stuff like the T71, 13-57, Type 64, Even 90, LT-432 etc. (and yes all the best mid tier lights are prems pretty much)

TankkiPoju #20 Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21624 battles

View PostSpioszeqq, on 17 January 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

I wonder if wheeled vechicles will get seperate personal missions or they keep personal missions from light tanks. And back in topic i hope those cars will make arties life more difficult.

It looks like killing arties is their primary business. They get all pretty good HE shells for it anyway.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users