Need help with Lowe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

P4CIF1ST #1 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 517 battles

Hello everyone,

I'm an old new tanker, I started playing WOT in 2011, then played on and off until 2016. I made a big pause because of too much work in the last 2 years. Since I have a lot more free time now, and there's nothing better to do during the boring winter I decided to roll out on battlefield again. I have to admit that a lot changed since I played last time and when I logged in my old account which have all tier 8,9,10 vehicles I realized that I'm not as "good" as I was before. Of course I was never a pro player, but I considered myself "OK, above average tomato" ( https://wotlabs.net/...layer/nargar0th ). In the couple of games in my T30, M46 Patton, E50 etc I was kind of lost. Then I decided to make this account an start all over again on low tiers before going back to grinding the main account towards rest of tier 9/10 because I didn't want to be burden to my teams.

As I started the new account I got lots of help from the New Year event, discounts and loot boxes. Even free T6 vehicle without previous research, which I consider to be kind of lame, considering how it was back in 2011. I used the free token on VK 3001P which I shortly after rage sold, I suppose you know the reason why if you played it stock. I'm having lots of fun in my T34 right now and I suppose it's the only vehicle I do OK in.

To keep the story short, since I have around 2-3 hours of time per day to play WOT I thought to myself I should buy a premium vehicle to earn lots of free XP and credits and just save myself from playing stock tanks in my plan to continue down the russian and american medium lines. Even though I got E25 and lefH artillery in the boxes, two tanks that I see everyone consider OP, I'm not that good in them and find them boring to play, I decided to buy a premium t8 vehicle thinking that in these 2-3 weeks that I'm playing I should be good enough to play T8. After a long research on youtube and forums in the end I have decided to buy Lowe. I have played 6 games I believe and I have quit the game to come look for help in this tank. I see a lot of forum members say that it's the best premium tank available at the moment so I suppose you do good in it. From 6 games that I played I noticed that I have no influence on the game outcome in this tank. It's really, really slow, In two games that I won in this tank, it was a roflstomp and I was just too slow to catch up my teammates and do any damage, in other games which I lost I was too slow to get and position myself on the flank. Every single shot fired at me either destroy my ammo rack or engine, I even tried bringing two repair kits instead of fire ext. and I still couldn't fix the amount of damage enemy shells do.

So, my question is how do you play your Lowe ? Is there a specific type of gameplay for this vehicle? Because it surely can't be played like a regular heavy because the armor is just not reliable enough, I do realize that hull down this vehicle is very good but in these several games I couldn't manage to get myself in that position on time because of slow speed. Every help is appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Wintermute_1 #2 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46370 battles

It's tier 8 and going to be bottom tier a hell of a lot. In those games I try to use its excellent gun from the second line. Generally I'll stay with the higher tier heavies because you'll still have the pen and accuracy to get through most higher tier armour (esp. with gold). I won't play as far back as a TD but remaining unspotted is preferable and certainly don't make yourself an arty target. Try to take your shots when the big boys are concentrating on each other. 

The only time I find the armour useful is when the mantle is the only bit your exposing, the situations when this is the case are rare. As top tier the armour can be used much more and covering the LFP, sidescraping and angling will save you a good amount of HP, but you arent top tier much. Never go anywhere alone, you're just too slow and immobile.

If you're really struggling just play it as a TD and edge your way further forward as you feel more confident about what you're doing.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #3 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

Major

• Player
  • 53179 battles
  • [_B-R_] _B-R_

As a "regular" heavy every tank will die no matter how much armor it got, right?

The lowe can side scrape, it can go hull down since it got 10° of gun depression, it has almost 300 mm of gold pen so fighting higher tier enemies is not a problem and an accurate gun when fully aimed. You don't have to tank every shot thrown at you especially from tier 10 guns!

The lowe is very good when top tier and a support heavy when bottom or mid tier. Follow the other heavies and do damage while the enemy is reloading. The lowe is unforgiving when taken out of its element, crossing open fields, exposing the hull, sitting still while people aim for your cupola or turret ring, etc.

KillingJoker #4 Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37071 battles

View PostP4CIF1ST, on 16 January 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

So, my question is how do you play your Lowe ? Is there a specific type of gameplay for this vehicle? Because it surely can't be played like a regular heavy because the armor is just not reliable enough, I do realize that hull down this vehicle is very good but in these several games I couldn't manage to get myself in that position on time because of slow speed. Every help is appreciated and sorry for the long post.

The Lowe role is mainly the same in most games, you work as a second line support heavy, you get into a good position (ie: hull down, or sidescraping) and you use your gun advantage since your 105mm gun will leave other heavies at tier VIII crying if they try to fight you at distance, your armor is very strong for tier VIII, the upper plate will bounce most of tier VIII heavies, only gold rounds will penetrate your upper plate, the turret is also very strong, so if you keep a hull down position, even tier X's will struggle to kill you..

try to allways make use of your gun depression to keep your take safe, the Lowe is not a very fast heavy (despite not being as slow as used to be) so, don't make risky moves, don't cross in front of enemies or large open areas, unless you know its safe.

Also don't think twice in loading your gold rounds if you see targets that you know you cant pen, the Lowe apcr can penetrate any tier X frontaly, so unlike some tier X's you can be usefull at tier X games and still make credits if you penetrate your shots. 

Homer_J #5 Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostP4CIF1ST, on 16 January 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

From 6 games that I played I noticed that I have no influence on the game outcome in this tank. It's really, really slow, In two games that I won in this tank, it was a roflstomp and I was just too slow to catch up my teammates and do any damage, in other games which I lost I was too slow to get and position myself on the flank.

I would suggest you pay for a proper crew to go with it because it sounds like you are running a 50% crew.  The Lowe is perfectly able to keep up.

The reasons the Lowe is the best tier 8 premium on regular sale are that it has a gun which doesn't rely on premium ammo vs tier X and it has somewhat decent armour, especially on the turret but can also sidescrape fairly well.  Another reason is that the others are all pretty bad.

Posting replays will likely get you some good help.  Enable replays and upload the next 5, good or bad, to wotreplays.eu

P4CIF1ST #6 Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:04 AM

Private

• Player
  • 517 battles

Hello,

Thank you all for your answers.

I am running 100% crew. The idea with the replays sounds good. That way you can evaluate the mistakes and point me in the right direction. I will do it after the work today.

captainpigg #7 Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32224 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

View PostP4CIF1ST, on 16 January 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

I should buy a premium vehicle to earn lots of free XP and credits and just save myself from playing stock tanks in my plan to continue down the russian and american medium lines.

You should have bought an American or Russian medium, T26e4 or T-54-mod-1, to help train your crews as well then. Since you've bought a Lowe now try a German heavy line.

Edited by captainpigg, 17 January 2019 - 07:49 AM.

SABAOTH #8 Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

The Lowe is a solid tank, it will not shine in everything but can hold even in current 3 5 7 garbage MM.

The turret is Russian like with American gun depression, so you can fight pretty well on ridges, the gun is reliable so you can make your slow rate of fire count as support, mobility is decent, you can keep up with other tanks now.

In the very very very very very very very very very very very very very rare case where you see tier 6 you can actually feel as a heavy tank :girl:

TankkiPoju #9 Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21624 battles

I would also suggest you learn some side scraping tactics with Löwe, as it is very good in them.

EIDT Oh someone already said that :teethhappy:

Edited by TankkiPoju, 17 January 2019 - 12:30 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #10 Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29000 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostP4CIF1ST, on 16 January 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

I very much like my Löwe.

The last buffs have put it exactly where it should be, and I also think the Tiger II should get the same treatment, maybe with a bit more DPM vs. Löwe.

I think it's easy to play

1- either fight in the second line at medium range or stay with other tanks, because Löwe is slow and has slow reload

2- Löwe has good pen (234 with AP) and against higher tiers don't be afraid to load gold ammo (294 pen)

3- the turret is pretty good and if you keep it pointed towards tanks shooting at you it reliably bounces up to tier 9. but don't turn it away even slightly as then the turret cheek becomes immediately pennable. stay hulldown. the angled upper front plate is also pretty strong

4- I disagree with other posters about sidescraping, the sidearmor is not very strong, it's too easy to overangle

5- Löwe's gun is excellent, very accurate and good shell velocity. use it.

6- Löwe is good at long and medium range, short range only when hull down.

7- Löwe has good gun depression and can make good use of many ridges, excellent combination with turret armor and gun accuracy to fight at medium range.

8- Löwe has excellent viewrange. using vents, optics, BIA, recon and sit. awareness, my Löwe has 482 viewrange and usually gets a good share of spotting. if you drop the optics for a rammer and play it with chocolate, you will still have 456 viewrange.

P4CIF1ST #11 Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Private

• Player
  • 517 battles

Hello guys,

I played 5 games in a row with Lowe, and I have to admit that today it feels much better. As promised here are the 5 replays, surprisingly every game is a win. I feel like it was more the luck with the teams than me carrying the game, I have xvm so I see I was with some really good players in some of the games. Even though every game was a win I'm sure if you look at the replays you will find things where I can improve my Lowe game.

Thanks for the help once again.

http://wotreplays.eu...a84e8cf9771b67f

Edited by P4CIF1ST, 17 January 2019 - 09:09 PM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #12 Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Major

• Player
  • 53179 battles
  • [_B-R_] _B-R_

Mines:

As soon as you have the hill go to the rock where the IS3 was and side scrape against the Caern. Don't peek sideways like you were doing.

Nothing much happened in that replay since it was mines north spawn so it's almost always auto win for your team and you were lucky that the 416 low rolled ate the end. :)

When side scraping off that rock keep in mind that the enemies are below your tank so they can shoot up into your left track and pen so keep that hidden behind the rock and angle more to the left. After taking your shot and moving to cover don't turn your turret to face forward, keep facing the enemy even behind the rock so they can't shoot the sides of your turret.

El Halluf:

Always go up to C2 if you have good gun depression. You can be arty safe, hull down and you can side scrape up there. That's the balcony up between the hills where the super pershing was at the end.

When you are low hp give way to tanks with more hp so you can still do something with lower possibility of getting killed. You didn't look at the map earlier when that 40tp was flanking.

Pilsen:

You need to use a training room for that map to know the layout of the hangars. Nice shot into the type 5 cupola but you should've moved forward to that pile of rubble in front of you and finished the defender right after that.

Load gold for the type 5 hull shots and take a look at the armor layout of the type4/5 in tanks.gg

See how the enemy type 5 was overconfident and pushed into the Maus, that was the most stupid thing he can do with his tank. :)

The Maus got 3k hp, 311mm gold pen and way more DPM so i don't know what was he expecting!

Ensk:

Don't peek sideways please, it takes a few seconds to adjust your tank's hull into a safe side scraping position.

At 12:14, you're alone in the city and you're too slow to retreat towards you base. What can you do?

One solution is to back up, kill the tiger 1 and side scrape off that corner facing the enemies concentrated inside the city block OR just ammorack the WZ and finish off the rest! :)

Malinovka:

At the start don't cross this close to the water, a safer option would be between the houses on you left.

There is one arty, you shouldn't be that afraid of peeking against the 50TP but again please don't peek sideways. Use the windmill to side scrape against them.

Never descend the hill like that, there will always be arty and a couple of TDs hidden in the forest ahead, from both sides. A better

way is is go down in the low ground under the hill like your 257 did at 8:35. The VK 100 cupola is not very weak so if he turns his turret aim for that.

Conclusion:

You're doing fine and with some practice you'll be great, sorry for the late reply!

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 20 January 2019 - 11:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users