WG please, please, please fix the arcade camera!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

dan_dix #1 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15915 battles
I'm getting exasperated by the number of times I am backing up into a wall or between buildings zoomed out in arcade view and the view changes direction. It's sooooooooo annoying - it's almost impossible to keep an overview on enemy positions in arcade view in city maps.... you need to be in sniper view if you want to keep your aim in place. I don't remember when this was changed but the earlier implementation was much better on the eye. Can't really understand why WG thinks a virtual camera can not go through buildings... it can go through tanks but not buildings - logic?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 68506 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well if it happens in the open, that's a glitch. If you are backing up into a wall. It's because the camera can't clip the wall. For obvious reasons. Tho they could simply fix it by moving the camera slightly over the turret zoomed in, vs jumping up. 

But it's why I've learned to hold down the right mouse button when looking around on urban maps. Even more so on Ensk on large heavies. As that's where it always happens. 

jack_timber #3 Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

Major

• Player
  • 35796 battles

View Postdan_dix, on 16 January 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

I'm getting exasperated by the number of times I am backing up into a wall or between buildings zoomed out in arcade view and the view changes direction. It's sooooooooo annoying - it's almost impossible to keep an overview on enemy positions in arcade view in city maps.... you need to be in sniper view if you want to keep your aim in place. I don't remember when this was changed but the earlier implementation was much better on the eye. Can't really understand why WG thinks a virtual camera can not go through buildings... it can go through tanks but not buildings - logic?

Yes its flaming annoying especially in arty....

Erwin_Von_Braun #4 Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40361 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postdan_dix, on 16 January 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Very much this^

It has been a constant  thorn in my balls for some time now.

Homer_J #5 Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It's always been like that but as long as it's the same for everyone then I don't see the problem.  And you don't need to be in sniper mode, just have a bit of awareness of what is around you.

dan_dix #6 Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:04 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 15915 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 16 January 2019 - 09:56 PM, said:

It's always been like that but as long as it's the same for everyone then I don't see the problem.  And you don't need to be in sniper mode, just have a bit of awareness of what is around you.

The problem is not about being in sniper mode, this is in arcade mode. In fact, I think that when it annoys me most is when:

- I am in arcade mode, I move the camera around to get an idea of the enemy tanks around while driving the tank into a firing position, I turn the camera towards the tank I want to fire on (to reduce turret movement)

- I zoom in to sniper mode to aim and take a shot

- I move back from the firing position and zoom out to arcade mode - this is when the camera hits the walls behind or around the tank and shifts the camera up and the view downwards

All this happens very quickly, a few seconds at most - and the effect when zooming out is dramatic, it's very annoying, you loose all awarness and you have to either re-zoom-in and move the mouse a lot or just give up on taking the next shot

Particularly annoying with autoloaders when you want to fire the next shot pretty quickly but also want get an overview of the surroundings first to avoid a bad trade

OMG_Abaddon #7 Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9558 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

There are 2 particular things I personally don't like:

1. When the sniper mode points at a different position than arcade mode. Technically speaking if you spam shift you should always be pointing at the same place, but sometimes it will start moving the aim up or down as it pleases.

2. The center spots for arcade and sniper modes are different. Arcade is slightly higher, so I sometimes get confused and shoot at the wrong place when changing from arcade to sniper.

Edited by OMG_Abaddon, 17 January 2019 - 11:49 AM.

Homer_J #8 Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postdan_dix, on 17 January 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

- I move back from the firing position and zoom out to arcade mode - this is when the camera hits the walls behind or around the tank and shifts the camera up and the view downwards

So it's a situational awareness problem like I said.  You know there is a wall there, don't zoom right out.  Use the mouse wheel to move you view just above your turret.

jeffrey_mk2 #9 Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13350 battles
  • [NLWGG] NLWGG
Sometimes the camera just makes weird moves and gets aimed higher when you switch from snipe to arcade.
Mostly just when you are about to engage an enemy in a city map and you move a bit back and forth for baiting a shot suddenly the aiming is way off target because the camera hits buildings etc.

@ Homer
Its not for everybody the same though , people with the zoom out mod havent got that problem because the camera can get above the buildings so it wont jump to strange positions.
I dont use zoom out (in the begin of wot I did) but it gives some advantages with this problem.
Now when Im looking around I actually alway keep my rmb pressed and such....just learn to work with what you get.
Havent got that much trouble with it though.

ThinGun #10 Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36715 battles

View Postdan_dix, on 16 January 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

It's very disconcerting.  Especially if it happens when you're trying to back away from an advancing enemy.  But hey, I guess it's something we have to live with.

eldrak #11 Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49370 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

It's even worse for arty.

If you use battle assistant view and back up against redline or a wall and switch viewmode any movement of the mouse will make the tank turn and you'll lose any aim you had.

it's quite easy to fix for WG

allow camera position to be located outside of map borders

make buildings and obstructions behind the tank slightly transparent and allow clipping for camera position

while at it they could allow arty to aim outside of redline, would help a lot when shooting at for example Lakeville south spawn camper/arty spot.

Homer_J #12 Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjeffrey_mk2, on 17 January 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

@ Homer
Its not for everybody the same though , people with the zoom out mod havent got that problem

There's another solution.  Borderline cheat if you ask me but it's there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users