Coming back to WoT after long absence

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Vilmetzy #1 Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7185 battles

I played World of Tanks in 2011 and then stopped. Now I'm back since Christmas. And while I can see a lot of improvements, like the Bootcamp or the campaigns and missions, I can also see a lot of things that are weird or not much fun. Example: I got a Turan III prototipus tier V medium tank from a Christmas loot box. Today I'm using it and get in a tier VII battle. And over the course of the battle both a KV-1 tier V heavy tank and a Comet tier VII medium tank shoot me with premium ammo. Why? There isn't any angle at which regular ammo from either of these tanks would have bounced of my armor.

I have seen some discussion where people say that premium ammo is necessary at high tiers in order to deal with super heavily armored tanks. Okay. I can also see how somebody who ends up in the bottom tier of a battle might want to use premium ammo when facing top tier heavy tanks. But why do people load premium ammo by default against opponents where they don't need it? What happened to this game since 2011 that some people appear to "shoot gold" by default without having to worry about their credits?

tank276 #2 Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52040 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostVilmetzy, on 19 January 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

. But why do people load premium ammo by default against opponents where they don't need it?

Because the average player is not too bright, is he? And you cannot change that anyhow.

Just let them spend more credits for no reason, it makes the company richer and gives more time for the game to exist.

wEight_Tanker #3 Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9114 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M
They're introducing "special ammo" rebalancing. They do less damage and hopefully cost less.

bokbiertjes #4 Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3210 battles
  • [F_A_F] F_A_F

View PostVilmetzy, on 19 January 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

I played World of Tanks in 2011 and then stopped. Now I'm back since Christmas. And while I can see a lot of improvements, like the Bootcamp or the campaigns and missions, I can also see a lot of things that are weird or not much fun. Example: I got a Turan III prototipus tier V medium tank from a Christmas loot box. Today I'm using it and get in a tier VII battle. And over the course of the battle both a KV-1 tier V heavy tank and a Comet tier VII medium tank shoot me with premium ammo. Why? There isn't any angle at which regular ammo from either of these tanks would have bounced of my armor.

I have seen some discussion where people say that premium ammo is necessary at high tiers in order to deal with super heavily armored tanks. Okay. I can also see how somebody who ends up in the bottom tier of a battle might want to use premium ammo when facing top tier heavy tanks. But why do people load premium ammo by default against opponents where they don't need it? What happened to this game since 2011 that some people appear to "shoot gold" by default without having to worry about their credits?

Armor in low tier aka tier 5 is crapyou could sidescrape in tier 8 or higher even with premium ammo they won't pen you. Tier 5 is too low to sidescrape

XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 53179 battles
  • [_B-R_] _B-R_

"It is a mark of insincerity of purpose to spend one's time in looking for the sacred Emperor in the low-class tea-shops."

You've been bulldog'ed! :)

CrazyLovex #6 Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17747 battles
  • Premium ammo for credits
  • Personal Reserves (Boosters) 
  • Powerful T8 premium tanks
  • Some armour creep

This has left many players with access to lots of credits, and a sense that they need to shoot gold. Plus laziness of players - Press 2 = think less.

FrantisekBascovansky #7 Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 15876 battles

Get use to it.

I had a battle yesterday in tier 3 tank in T3-T4 matchmaking. All shells shot on me were gold except *one* and only AP shell.

It's for credits so people spam it like there's no tomorrow.

I sit on 120mil credits but I see no point to have full gold loadout. I'm using it only when necessary.

Grimmx #8 Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13538 battles

View PostFrantisekBascovansky, on 19 January 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

I sit on 120mil credits but I see no point to have full gold loadout. I'm using it only when necessary.

Damn son!

NUKLEAR_SLUG #9 Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31237 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

And over the course of the battle both a KV-1 tier V heavy tank and a Comet tier VII medium tank shoot me with premium ammo. Why? There isn't any angle at which regular ammo from either of these tanks would have bounced of my armor.

Then does it really matter?

Homer_J #10 Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVilmetzy, on 19 January 2019 - 02:18 PM, said:

And over the course of the battle both a KV-1 tier V heavy tank and a Comet tier VII medium tank shoot me with premium ammo. Why? There isn't any angle at which regular ammo from either of these tanks would have bounced of my armor.

Because they can.

And if they would have penetrated anyway then what does it matter if they spend a few more credits on you.  Take it as a compliment.

XOR42 #11 Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18741 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

As Homer_J says - because they can.

Here are some reasons:

1. Lots of players now have ridiculous amounts of silver credits (The holiday season was generous in many manys).
  2. 3-5-7 MM makes it that a lot of players are taking more gold because they expect to be bottom tier more often.
  3. Skilled players marking tanks are not gonna risk it when they are on that last few percent that is the hardest.
  4. because of point 2, a lot of folk might be pre-loaded, expecting to face a certain tank , but find you and can't be bothered to reload or don't have time.
  5. Grinding stock or near stock guns on higher tiered tanks can be grueling so HEAT/APCR is used to offset crapola pen
  6. ...and just because they can.

Hope this helps  :)

Vilmetzy #12 Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7185 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 19 January 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Because they can.

And if they would have penetrated anyway then what does it matter if they spend a few more credits on you.  Take it as a compliment.

Sure, in this case they would have penetrated anyway. But if many other players are using premium APCR ammo, and I use regular AP and HE ammo, I will lose duels that I would otherwise have won.

Homer_J #13 Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVilmetzy, on 20 January 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

Sure, in this case they would have penetrated anyway. But if many other players are using premium APCR ammo, and I use regular AP and HE ammo, I will lose duels that I would otherwise have won.

If they are using it when they would penetrate anyway it makes no difference to the outcome.  If you are not using premium ammo when it would benefit you then that is your problem.

OMG_Abaddon #14 Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9630 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

But why do people load premium ammo by default against opponents where they don't need it? What happened to this game since 2011 that some people appear to "shoot gold" by default without having to worry about their credits?

People have been buying Fort Knox and premium accounts for a while now. They made it so gold ammo now costs an exaggerated amount of silver, which can still be bought with real money anyway, but there's enough of that hanging around after a few matches on a T8 premium.

Everyone loads gold because there's not a single drawback in game, just like they use chocolate all the time, and gasoline, and whatever else they feel like using. The most common case is AP/Gold APCR/HE, the whole point of HE is that you can deal a little damage when you can't pen, but if you can't pen you simply shoot with +70 pen from gold and it's done! Full damage.

Tier below? Well you still get the higher bullet speed which is welcome, even more so when hitting fast targets. Same tier? You might get a pen when you'd otherwise get blocked by bad aim, or just hit a bad spot, or shot incorrectly while snapshotting. Tiers above? Perfect.

Some tanks have other setups, like derps, or gold HEAT, gold AP, etc. but in those cases they are special tanks like Type 5 heavy that shoots golden glory micronukes that kill you whether it pens or not in 1 shot unless you are tier 9 or above. FV4005 and the legacy version, same story.

TL;DR: Gold is spammed left and right, and on average it makes a player 20% better than they should be thanks to free extra penetration that other players don't have. They don't need to think when to use one ammo or the other strategically because default ammo is worse in all aspects. Death to sumo tanks.

Scorilo #15 Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5699 battles

Blaming someone for using gold ammo in this game is like blaming rich ppl for buying expensive stuff that you cant afford.

Its because they can.

I wish it would be removed from the game so that we can go back to learning weak spots again but it aint happening.

So when i want to research fast and every damn shot counts for xp, i use gold ammo because i have this option and i have silver.

Dont see any problem in it, the game is made in this way so i take the easiest path.

TankkiPoju #16 Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21625 battles

What happened to this game since 2011 that some people appear to "shoot gold" by default without having to worry about their credits?

Funnily you don't seem to remember premium ammo wan't available for credits in 2011.

OMG_Abaddon #17 Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9630 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

View PostTankkiPoju, on 21 January 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Funnily you don't seem to remember premium ammo wan't available for credits in 2011.

IDK maybe he has eyes and noticed he was buying gold for silver?:amazed:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users