Population Drop (QB)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Unangwata #1 Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11399 battles
  • [-NASA] -NASA

After watching QB content relating to population drop and all research provided (websites monitoring population) the cause seems to be mostly premium tanks. In the past premiums were known to be slightly weaker than grind tanks. It was price to pay for quick acquire and balance. But it all changed with Defender. Since then more and more powerful tanks appear, being good profit, but the population goes down. Why ?

Several reasons.

First, it is in human nature to get more satisfaction from something that requires more effort. Grinded regular tanks, once you have them, can reward players with more joy and satisfaction because we feel we deserved or worked hard for them.

Easy acquired premium tanks can get boring fast due to lack of such bond. Furthermore, once we have good premium tank we don't see logical reason to go for regular tanks which are the same or inferior.

Having strong tanks and lack of incentive to grind causes.. guess what, we stop grind, once we stop grind we ultimately stop playing. Of course it is not true for many dedicated players, but the numbers show clearly, since those premium tanks start appearing player base is going down more and more.

Looking at this from WG perspective, relasing good premium tank is burst of income. However because it lowers population base the income slowly goes down as well every new tank they add. How do they battle that money drop ? Guess what, they relase more premium tanks.

You can guess the result and where it goes.

Premium tanks now start to be superior to regular ones, diminishing the point to play regular at all.

Fortunately there is still player base who goes for top of the tree, but overall population suffers.

Edited by Unangwata, 28 January 2019 - 07:32 PM.

ricoBenitez1 #2 Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 510 battles
So if QB says jump out of the window we all should do so ??

laulaur #3 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47485 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

I really love how people suddenly realize something is wrong just when some popular streamer/youtuber makes a video about that. People don't have a mind of their own and the humans in general are like sheep?

This thing about premium tanks is not limited only to them (applies to regular tanks also) and has a name - it is called powercreep.

This thing happens for more than 3-4 years now and it is not rocket science to realize that....

Unangwata #4 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11399 battles
  • [-NASA] -NASA

View Postlaulaur, on 20 January 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

I really love how people suddenly realize something is wrong just when some popular streamer/youtuber makes a video about that. People don't have a mind of their own and the humans in general are like sheep?

This thing about premium tanks is not limited only to them (applies to regular tanks also) and has a name - it is called powercreep.

This thing happens for more than 3-4 years now and it is not rocket science to realize that....

I think you misunderstood me. QB provided data. I provide you with my conclussion, it is nothing what QB said. For your information I sent ticket to WG with similar conclussion before QB made the movies. His data just backed my theory, and WG forwarded the message.

Edited by Unangwata, 20 January 2019 - 03:09 PM.

nc30_guy #5 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25242 battles
It will suffer more with 1.4 they have ignored the pressing matters to add more content in they cannot balance correctly to make the job down the line even harder to do.

AngelofAwe #6 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 40742 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postlaulaur, on 20 January 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

And this guy is part of NASA :trollface:

SABAOTH #7 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

When I get a break I usually receive some spam e-mail from WG telling "Hey we know what made you quit, here is a rework of arty"

Then you come back and get stun :teethhappy:

WindSplitter1 #8 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18709 battles
  • [ORDEM] ORDEM

View Postlaulaur, on 20 January 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

I really love how people suddenly realize something is wrong just when some popular streamer/youtuber makes a video about that. People don't have a mind of their own and the humans in general are like sheep? *edited

Artillery.

Climbs/Boosting.

Premium ammunition.

Loot Boxes.

And the list goes on.

Why do you think, for example, most streamers bash SPGs so much? That's one of the things the community is vocal about. Surely those streamers, bloggers etc read the forums. In the end, they're pseudo-politicians and go after what the masses want to attain further support. When that is unavailable, they change course, like QB did , but still point to the same general direction.

malowany #9 Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6000 battles
  • [H-O-A] H-O-A

View PostricoBenitez1, on 20 January 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Absolutely pointless reply. If he says to jump out of window I will tell him to F off, if he says sensible things, provides data and voices opinions I agree with I will side with him. Is this a rocket sinece for you? do you wnat me to put it in simpler way?

Stop being so edgy.

If someone is famous and people agree on his opinions its not sheep mentality right of the bat you muppet.

WOT should start going the customization and skin way, lots of games mamke milliions on that without mutiliating their gameplay the way prem tanks and ammo do. WOT's monetization scheme is severly outdated and it hurts the game itslef in a long run.

Edited by malowany, 20 January 2019 - 03:56 PM.

SABAOTH #10 Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postmalowany, on 20 January 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

Absolutely pointless reply. If he says to jump out of window I will tell him to F off, if he says sensible things, provides data and voices opinions I agree with I will side with him. Is this a rocket sinece for you? do you wnat me to put it in simpler way?

Stop being so edgy.

If someone is famous and people agree on his opinions its not sheep mentality right of the bat you muppet.

WOT should start going the customization and skin way, lots of games mamke milliions on that without mutiliating their gameplay the way prem tanks and ammo do. WOT's monetization scheme is severly outdated and it hurts the game itslef in a long run.

Stop bringing common sense into this! :izmena:

It's dangerous! :ohmy:

FluffyRedFox #11 Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:05 PM

General

• Player
  • 24773 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF
You sure do love that "post thread" button don't you?

BlackBloodBandit #12 Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4442 battles

View PostUnangwata, on 20 January 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

After watching QB content relating to population drop and all research provided (websites monitoring population) the cause seems to be mostly premium tanks. In the past premiums were known to be slightly weaker than grind tanks. It was price to pay for quick acquire and balance. But it all changed with Defender. Since then more and more powerful tanks appear, being good profit, but the population goes down. Why ?

Several reasons.

First, it is in human nature to get more satisfaction from something that requires more effort. Grinded regular tanks, once you have them, can reward players with more joy and satisfaction because we feel we deserved or worked hard for them.

Easy acquired premium tanks can get boring fast due to lack of such bond. Furthermore, once we have good premium tank we don't see logical reason to go for regular tanks which are the same or inferior.

Having strong tanks and lack of incense to grind causes.. guess what, we stop grind, once we stop grind we ultimately stop playing. Of course it is not true for many dedicated players, but the numbers show clearly, since those premium tanks start appearing player base is going down more and more.

Looking at this from WG perspective, relasing good premium tank is burst of income. However because it lowers population base the income slowly goes down as well every new tank they add. How do they battle that money drop ? Guess what, they relase more premium tanks.

You can guess the result and where it goes.

Premium tanks now start to be superior to regular ones, diminishing the point to play regular at all.

Fortunately there is still player base who goes for top of the tree, but overall population suffers.

you're pretty late with this 'conclusion'. he draw a conclusion himself, so there's nothing else you did then copy it.

also he made the video last December, like over a month ago. this is nothing new and loads of players know this info for years.

Soup_Potato #13 Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 282 battles

View PostUnangwata, on 20 January 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

QB provided data.

Yeah that nice data of picking the lowest amount of player in a week in mid summer and then he waved his hands around and screamed how the playerbase is down over 20%. He didn't take any averages over the year or anything other than one bad week and made conclusions from that. I hope he makes a new video from 3rd of December when numbers got higher than previous years and now he claims the game is gaining players and it's all fine.

OMG_Abaddon #14 Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

View PostricoBenitez1, on 20 January 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

If he gives us a well researched reason with documented facts as well exposed as this one...

Soup_Potato #15 Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 282 battles

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 20 January 2019 - 04:57 PM, said:

If he gives us a well researched reason with documented facts as well exposed as this one...

I can already tell you what it will be. He will pick the odd, one in a billion case of someone jumping out of the window and landing with next to no injuries. He will present this as if jumping out of the window is not dangerous and leads to no injuries. Just like he did with this ''population drop'' video.

OMG_Abaddon #16 Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

View PostSoup_Potato, on 20 January 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

I can already tell you what it will be. He will pick the odd, one in a billion case of someone jumping out of the window and landing with next to no injuries. He will present this as if jumping out of the window is not dangerous and leads to no injuries. Just like he did with this ''population drop'' video.

Like the odd case where players last year vs players the year before that decreased by 20%? That much be a really biased one-time case. You're right, a sample with 365 days isn't enough, he should have compared the Renaissance with the Cinquecento and point out the differences.

Edited by OMG_Abaddon, 20 January 2019 - 05:26 PM.

Mr_Burrows #17 Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 47166 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

New part of the powercreep will be if WG goes ahead and introduces the totally silly nerf to prem ammo dmg. 

Edited by Mr_Burrows, 20 January 2019 - 05:28 PM.

OMG_Abaddon #18 Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

View PostMr_Burrows, on 20 January 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

New part of the powercreep will be if WG goes ahead and introduces the totally silly nerf to prem ammo dmg. 

How is that.

Soup_Potato #19 Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 282 battles

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 20 January 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Like the odd case where players last year vs players the year before that decreased by 20%? That much be a really biased one-time case. You're right, a sample with 365 days isn't enough, he should have compared the Renaissance with the Cinquecento and point out the differences.

So you agree with QB that taking one week of a year represents the whole year? Then by that logic I can say the December 3rd stats show that the player base has increased by 7% and it's all fine now.

See the problem? He just picked a date that suited him and made a video out of it claiming stupid things.

laulaur #20 Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47485 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

View PostMr_Burrows, on 20 January 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

That is not powercreep since armored tanks already dominate the game, they will just become even stronger.

That change (if made) is just greed and stupidity...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users