Don´t look forward, look back

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Buggah #1 Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 18606 battles

So I decided to get back into WoT after a several year layoff, and thus far, I have enjoyed the game quite a bit. To be completely honest, it was the fact that the Type 59 got a buff that made me really decide to get onto the website and download the game once again, that and the fact that I´ve been longing to play the Maus again seeing as I haven´t since beta. So said and done, I got the client, started the game, and the first thing that struck me was how damn gorgeous the game looks, way, way better than i remembered, the sounds, the water, the foliage, the tanks, phenomenal to say the least for a free to play. And one thing I also noticed was that the maps had changed a lot, to the significantly better in my opinion, the maps felt more refined, more flat in general, crests and dips felt smoother, softer, and I did not mind at all. 

Right away I noticed the reduced amount of artillery around, a very welcomed thing, and not only that, but one of the main reasons I decided to take a break was the artillery AP shells, and to my surprise as I looked at the few SPGs in my garage, I´ll be damned, the AP shells are gone! Finally no more getting absolutely wrecked by a T92 for 2000 hitpoints just for not sitting behind artillery cover, fantastic. Something else I noticed was the stun mechanic that has been added, at first I actually liked it, I thought it was a good compromise between what arty used to be, and what we kind of want it to. But after some more games, I did find that that mechanic works great with one SPG alone, but when there are two or three of them on the enemy team, and they all rain down upon the area of your location in a row, well, it quickly becomes boring being stunned for overly long periods of time is my point. I also noticed within the community there seemed to be quite many issues that did not have an easy, quick fix answer to many players. The usage of premium ammunition has remained a hot topic to no surprise. But hence to the title of this post, I know it is not applicable to ALL of the issues many players are experiencing, but heck it might solve many of them! 

To give a few examples, here it goes. It didn´t take long for me in my Type 59 to come across a new, futuristic premium tank called the Object 252, aka the Defender. I was completely flabbergasted by the angle of its upper plate, what in the...? Well, fair enough I figured and took my shots at the lower plate, little did i know the lower plate of the Defender is equal to the upper plate of a King Tiger, so let´s just say that did not end very well. I had to dwell deeper into that monstrosity of a tank, and I pulled up some stats of it, 350mm upperplate, 210mm lower plate, your usual pretty much unpenetrable soviet turret with two tiny weakspots, yes I say tiny because they are definately smaller than the cupola on my Type 59, and let´s just say people don´t hit that very often unless in very close range engagements. Well then, must be a shitty gun huh? Nope, best alpha of any tier 8 heavy. I could go on forever about this stupid piece of craptank really, to compare it to my old, outdated T34 heavy let´s just say it has better armor, better mobility, better alpha, and better DPM. Well one annoying little piece of shet tank shouldn´t ruin the entire experience of the game anyways I figured, and it doesn´t. But how anyone sitting at work, knowing anything at all about WoT, figured THAT was a fakking GOOD idea to put in the game without having at least half a bottle of vodka too much is beyond me, or being hit over the head with one way too many times when they were little, I mean I took my fair share of vodka bottles to the head but come on WG. 

Moving on, I decided to play my Maus to get up in the tiers, and boy was it a mean machine! Roughly 100 games later and a 66% winrate, I did feel like the good old playstyle of the vehicle was back in full swing. You focus on which flank to take in the beginning very carefully, since you will only get one pick, and then you do not focus on doing damage, but rather absorbing it for your team, and off you go, winning many pretty games! I found it fairly strange that people were complaining about the turret buff the vehicle had gotten, from 240 to 260, I mean there are plenty of other heavy tanks with completely impenetrable turrets frontally right? You can´t get damaged by the Maus, unless you are capable of damaging him in return, I do still think most people tend to try and focus a Maus right away for the hitpoints, very wrong since that is precisely what I want you to do if I´m driving it, the DPM is far from good, so it is often better to leave the Maus to being the last thing to shoot unless there is nothing else to shoot at. I mean big deal you cannot damage a tank who is not damaging you either, right? And the lower plate still remains roughly 240mm, so considering the extreme mobility disadvantage of the vehicle, and I do not see any particular issue with it, perhaps nerf the lower plate if anything. I did however notice many complaining about the new super heavy, the Type 5. And to the fact that the Type 5 heavy has about 270mm of armor all around, even on its weakspot, I do understand the frustrations as to that you have to use premium ammo to get to these beasts, I mean I´ve been trying to do well in my Jagdtiger, which is easier said that done, but even with a tier 10 TD gun I am quick as hell to dab that 2 key if I see these behemoths approaching! So I understand how many players with lesser guns must feel, this is perhaps the issue in need of most attention if you ask me, the balance between penetration and armor, it does seem with the introduction of many new heavily armored tanks, and the buffing of some, cough cough Tortoise, more and more players are finding the inability to penetrate their opponents with standard ammo extremely frustrating. My point being, the Maus used to be THE Maus, but if you have 5 or 6 "Maus" tanks, I can absolutely see this becoming a problem. The best fix I can see is nerfing lower plates, on all tanks, adding cupolas on the turrets, that´s how it always used to be, either a lower plate, a cupola, or both, something to give you an acceptable chance of hurting even higher tier tanks without having to freak out on that 2 key constantly. 

So seems like the problems are racking up huh? No not really, I am really not trying to make this another skrew everything post, but maybe it will be, I have said that I am definately finding myself enjoying the game a lot, and the armor/penetration is a fairly particular problem that I did not plan on bringing up in this post. I was going to stick to three, the Defender (and other OP premiums I suppose, and call me a hypocrite for bombing it around in my Type 59, but I think you´d much rather come across the Type 59 than a Defender, IS-3A, Chrysler K etc, I mean my upper plate is worse than the lower plate of two of those), the arty stun duration, and the mother of all ridiculousness, the 183mm HESH shell.

Yes, the 183mm HESH shell of the FV4005, (and 183B but fook that atm). 230mm of penetration, and 1750 damage, this is the only remaining relic of the AP arty shells in my opinon, why is it even in the game? Now perhaps you are thinking that it serves me right for being so comfy in my Maus that I´ve actually put aside for the Jagdtiger since I find tier 9 a little more relaxing to play. Big shocker, those shells are not much of an issue with the super heavy spall liner in the Maus, but in moderately armored vehicles, like the Jagdtiger, what the effing eff is that shell supposed to grant anyone at all? It is the EXACT same issue as with the arty AP shells, no one likes the idea of possibly losing 2000 hitpoints in one hit, it isn´t fun. Now I know, "Oh it´s serious fun for me firing it!! fuawk yeah look at that hilarious I just fekking took 2000 hitpoints from an IS-7 from the front!!", but I guarantee you, the players getting hit with it will leave way before the ones firing it, just nerf it or remove it really. Even if I hide my lower plate in the Jagdtiger that doesn´t matter jack, because 230mm is more than enough to go right through the upper plate of well, a lot of plates other than that of the Jagdtiger, and it really drains the fun right out of it, just like getting hit by artillery AP shells used to back in the days. 

So how do we solve these issues? Easy as foookk, remove the Defender, remove the 183mm HESH shell, and reduce the artillery stun time by 50% at least! Well those are the easy fixes, what about the premium ammo issue? Tricky, I admit, I would say you put in a max cap for penetration to begin with, say 350, no shells have more than 350 pen, and that´s at tier 10, then that cap can reduce as you go along, maybe a 320 cap for tier 9, and 280 for tier 8, and that´s a max cap, meaning only the most powerful guns at those tiers could shoot that high with premium shells, now the numbers are just pulled right out of my rectum they could be altered, and then you have to work on managing the armor models after that, and adding and tweaking the weakpoints to make sure they play along well enough with the penetration parameters. Lowering the damage of the premium shells like WG has suggested would just be a stupid idea, as many of you also think I believe. A raise in the cost of the premium shells would only lead to more pay to win, so I´d probably suggest a limit for the amount you can carry into battle instead, a damage limit perhaps, say 2000 at tier ten, 1800 at tier nine, 1500 at tier 8 and so on, now again I´m only speculating, just some stoopid ideas that are at least better than even more stoopid "reduce the damage herp derp" or "Increase the cost euurghhhh". Now I´m out of vodka, so I better go do something else than WoT, maybe... 

Hang in there tankers even if we are dying, love you all xoxo!!       

And by the way, by the way who the feewwwkkkk decided to nerf the accuracy of the King Tiger? I mean did it really need that? It has the second to worst winrate out of ALL tier 8 heavies!! So what do we do comrades!? That´s right, we nerf it suka blyat dadada!!! Let´s have another drink damnit Igor I got my KV-2 back let´s roll out :trollface:

SABAOTH #2 Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

Welcome back

View PostBuggah, on 22 January 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

So I decided to get back into WoT after a several year layoff, and thus far, I have enjoyed the game quite a bit. To be completely honest, it was the fact that the Type 59 got a buff that made me really decide to get onto the website and download the game once again, that and the fact that I´ve been longing to play the Maus again seeing as I haven´t since beta. So said and done, I got the client, started the game, and the first thing that struck me was how damn gorgeous the game looks, way, way better than i remembered, the sounds, the water, the foliage, the tanks, phenomenal to say the least for a free to play. And one thing I also noticed was that the maps had changed a lot, to the significantly better in my opinion, the maps felt more refined, more flat in general, crests and dips felt smoother, softer, and I did not mind at all.

They partially un nerfed the Type 59 so it's decent now, the graphics are nice, unfortunately they destroyed some of the maps like fisherman bay, there is a flat earther syndrome going on lately

Block Quote

Right away I noticed the reduced amount of artillery around, a very welcomed thing, and not only that, but one of the main reasons I decided to take a break was the artillery AP shells, and to my surprise as I looked at the few SPGs in my garage, I´ll be damned, the AP shells are gone! Finally no more getting absolutely wrecked by a T92 for 2000 hitpoints just for not sitting behind artillery cover, fantastic. Something else I noticed was the stun mechanic that has been added, at first I actually liked it, I thought it was a good compromise between what arty used to be, and what we kind of want it to. But after some more games, I did find that that mechanic works great with one SPG alone, but when there are two or three of them on the enemy team, and they all rain down upon the area of your location in a row, well, it quickly becomes boring being stunned for overly long periods of time is my point. I also noticed within the community there seemed to be quite many issues that did not have an easy, quick fix answer to many players. The usage of premium ammunition has remained a hot topic to no surprise. But hence to the title of this post, I know it is not applicable to ALL of the issues many players are experiencing, but heck it might solve many of them! 

less than 7 arties is good. However stun is pretty cancerous since there is still 3 and if they focus it's game over, you just are reduced to watch your tank die slowly rather than one shot, I don't know what's worse, the splash is pretty large so it's a guarantee 1500 - 1800 damage every 20 secs on high tiers if they focus, there is almost no arty safe spot if you plan to take map control.

Actually there is: if you camp the red line you stay arty safe, because arty prevents camping. :coin:

Block Quote

To give a few examples, here it goes. It didn´t take long for me in my Type 59 to come across a new, futuristic premium tank called the Object 252, aka the Defender. I was completely flabbergasted by the angle of its upper plate, what in the...?

Yes Defender is pretty traumatic when you meet it the first time, basically is an IS 7 at tier 8. The good news is that the sides are very squishy, the gun is derpy enough to miss shots in close range and the dpm isn't great, the playerbase can deal pretty good with defenders now, there are more OP tanks at tier 8 including reverse autoloaders :girl:

Block Quote

Yes, the 183mm HESH shell of the FV4005, (and 183B but fook that atm). 230mm of penetration, and 1750 damage

There is a derp problem in WoT, aka buy gold High Explosive ammo and do dure damage. Those are not even the worst, Type 4 and 5 with impenetrable armor and gold HE doing 600 damage per shot is the perfect tomato tank. But yeah gold ammo is the thing nowadays, expecially if HE or HESH.

Block Quote

And by the way, by the way who the feewwwkkkk decided to nerf the accuracy of the King Tiger? I mean did it really need that? It has the second to worst winrate out of ALL tier 8 heavies!! So what do we do comrades!? That´s right, we nerf it suka blyat dadada!!! Let´s have another drink damnit Igor I got my KV-2 back let´s roll out :trollface:

Tiger 2 Stronk Light Tenk. Yeah they nerfed it for balance, the fact that it was powercreeped already was not enough, they needed to make it match the "german steel" pile of crap phylosophy of WoT. :trollface:

Tiger 2 sacrifices armor, gun, damage and accuracy for that amazing mobility. For balance :coin:

satakuua #3 Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:34 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12996 battles
  • [HKI] HKI

I am petty, and vile. I’d love to see a lot of the premium tenks gone. But that will never happen.

And the maps could be opened up a bit. Too much armour, too many heavies, and corridor maps. Those are the things that irk me the most.

SABAOTH #4 Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postsatakuua, on 22 January 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

I am petty, and vile. I’d love to see a lot of the premium tenks gone. But that will never happen.

And the maps could be opened up a bit. Too much armour, too many heavies, and corridor maps. Those are the things that irk me the most.

Too much gold, too much corridors, too flat maps.

I still yet have to see a single complaint about russian medium tanks turret armor, mobility and penetration. They are far better than any superheavy armor in game atm :coin:

Yaccay #5 Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 35392 battles
  • [4TL] 4TL
Defender is OP and should be removed.

View PostBuggah, on 22 January 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

So how do we solve these issues? Easy as foookk, remove the Defender, ......

You have just discovered, how WG tries to motivate people to spend money. Make a premium a bit(?) overpowered and sell them.

Game balance does not matter .... money matters.

ps.: WG will never ever nerf or remove Defender.

satakuua #6 Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12996 battles
  • [HKI] HKI

View PostSABAOTH, on 22 January 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Too much gold, too much corridors, too flat maps.

I still yet have to see a single complaint about russian medium tanks turret armor, mobility and penetration. They are far better than any superheavy armor in game atm :coin:

Well, yes, the overabundance of armour makes people use skill ammo. Does not matter if medium or not, that is true.

But I love my T-44, so you keep your grubby nerf mitts off that tonk!

SABAOTH #7 Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postsatakuua, on 22 January 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

Well, yes, the overabundance of armour makes people use skill ammo. Does not matter if medium or not, that is true.

But I love my T-44, so you keep your grubby nerf mitts off that tonk!

Not really, they shoot gold to Leopard, batchat, amx 13 90... there is tendency to shoot only gold, period. :coin:

The only superheavies that needs a frontal weakspot rework are the Japanese, because you cannot call it a weakspot if you need to shoot gold at it to pen. :coin:

I don't see any problem in frontal penetration of Maus, E 100, JPZ E 100, KV 5, IS 7, IS 4, T 110 E 3, T 110 E 4, Tortoise, T 110 E 5, etc. with regular ammo. Sure with gold it's almost guaranteed pen.

However it's almost impossible, even with gold, to penetrate T 62 A, Obj 430, T 54 or any russian medium turret, and they have mobility, accuracy, dpm and viewrange. There is no whining about nerfing the stronk turret armor, nor there is any complaint about the mobility or pen or DPM, I wonder why? :coin:

Armor is part of the game, otherwise it wouldn't be tanks.

Gold ammo is blatant pay to win and something should be done about it.

Sure I think I get why there is much emotion about rework of gold ammo, it's nice to press 2 and turn every enemy into a Leopard 1 :girl:

Edited by SABAOTH, 22 January 2019 - 09:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users