How would you make the game and the community better?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

Baldrickk #1 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31450 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Hi all.

There have been a few threads recently on the attitudes in this forum, and instead of focusing on the negatives, i would like to ask:

What do we do right,  and how can we best encourage it?

I personally believe that the tone of a post, whether it opens a topic or starts a discussion within one is key to how it is received.

As such,  I'd welcome a pinned topic about writing good posts,  in much the same way that httos://stackoverflow/help/how-to-ask exists for that community.

What other suggestions do you all have?

xtrem3x #2 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:13 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33863 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

I would allow cross team chat in battles so I can say "Hi" and "GG, that was a good shot arty" to members of the enemy team :)

This would cause less whine threads in the forum resulting in a better community

Edited by xtrem3x, 25 January 2019 - 11:19 AM.

iztok #3 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

> How would you make the game and the community better?

With community it's easy: fire all current members of community and employ new ones. ;)

Edited by iztok, 25 January 2019 - 11:16 AM.

wsatnutter #4 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 25844 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

I would have strict modson the forum as in

a arty whine thread or a mm whine thread or the mention of the word cancer or just outright stupid troll post a straight 14 day read only ban for starters, make peeps post where they are ment to post

zsplintersz #5 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1919 battles
  • [HENNY] HENNY

View PostBaldrickk, on 25 January 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Hi all.

There have been a few threads recently on the attitudes in this forum, and instead of focusing on the negatives, i would like to ask:

I personally believe that the tone of a post, whether it opens a topic or starts a discussion within one is key to how it is received.

As such,  I'd welcome a pinned topic about writing good posts,  in much the same way that httos://stackoverflow/help/how-to-ask exists for that community.

Haha gj Baldrickk.

I think that using the norms and values in "real" physical life should do. When you would risk a punch at your nose by saying something, dont write it here. 

Ok lets try this. Go to somebody on the street and tell him he is a whiner. Will this end well? GL & HF:)

azakow #6 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79099 battles

View Postxtrem3x, on 25 January 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

I would allow cross team chat in battles so I can say "Hi" and "GG, that was a good shot arty" to members of the enemy team :)

Sure back to the times where low bobs in your team give away your position to the opponents, hence denying your efforts to win the match.

Moreover, distracting your team whine messages about gold ammo usage.

Not at all a good idea.

No thank you.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #7 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25305 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 25 January 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

I don't think there's a problem with the regular posters in this forum, but rather, the problem lies with those new to this particular forum.

People asking solutions to their genuine problems, will get sensible suggestions to whatever is troubling them. That's the way this forum works.

I've seen it, I know it happens.

The majority of the problems, only occur when someone new to this forum, or forums in general, try and get the forum to work in the way they see fit. With nobody arguing, or debating a point.

Everybody agreeing with everybody else just to not rock boats, is no way to run a forum. Nor a life, if I'm being honest.

It becomes sanitised. False.

Life doesn't work that way.

Maybe we need a warning on the first page;

YOU MAY ENCOUNTER THOSE ON THE FORUM THAT MAY DISAGREE WITH YOU.

But do we really want that ?

Do we pander to those that are so thin-skinned, that a difference of opinion is an attack on oneself..?

No. In my opinion, this is one of the better forums I've been on.

Particularly just lately, since an English speaking mod has been introduced.

pallie_the_artillerist #8 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18405 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

Maybe some sort of reward system, you get two ++ per day, you can ++ someone ingame who was in your battle and in your team but not in your platoon. For each ++ you received the past week you get a small bonus to xp/money whatever up to a maximum.

People who misbehave in chat are unlikely to get ++, people who play well or answer noob questions might get a ++.

PowJay #9 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37102 battles

Interesting question. The forum content is driven predominantly by those that start new threads. A number of long-running threads exist which come and go off the front page such as "How is your day so far?". This thread can be used to vent about a bad day or highlight a good one. Many post ironically about it being good because it has had nothing at all to do with WoT. It is largely harmless, sometimes cathartic and mostly no-one gets into arguments because it is a straightforward statement about how your day went.

Most other threads seem to revolve around the same themes: MM, SPGs, OP, UP, buff this, nerf that, and any number of whines about hacks, cheats, losing, and toxicity. These are generally not well received. The nub of the argument often revolves around stats- in that the person starting the thread has no demonstrable level of skill at the game or understanding of the game mechanics. Often, the individual in question overlooks the simple fact that these mechanics are the same for EVERY SINGLE player and the thread generally gets derailed.

We also have the seven or eight new threads every time a problem rears its head: such as the recent issue about Free XP, Gold, Credits etc. not being accessible, and every time a server goes down. Proof that even looking at the front page of the forum is beyond some people, never mind using the search function.

Every now and then someone says: which is the best/worst tank? Your favourite/most hated tank? and similar. When I am in the right mood I will respond to these and sometimes just ignore them. They are benign for the most part.

Threads with single comments and no content are annoying such as the thanks for my free 50TP yesterday. WUT? Obviously most of the player-base had no idea what this was about.

The thing is, unless someone is going to search the forum, realise that their problem is new, or their question is unanswered, we are going to get the same repetitive rubbish day in day out. Answer the question and move on, or ignore it.

Whines and conspiracy theory threads will continue. Mostly from our sub-47% WR players with no grasp of the game. The unfortunate thing is that while many of us will endeavour- sometimes at great length- to point out where the errors in their thinking and gameplay are, they refuse to listen. Even quite patient individuals, prepared to type long, meaningful posts about these matters will eventually get fed up and simply state fact i.e. "You suck!" Nothing will change this so long as others in the community accept this.

What I mean is: Bad player whines. I point out that bad player is only doing 500 average damage in tier IX HT. Bad player says "I get bad teams all the time". I point out that we ALL get the same mix of teams. Bad players support OP. Good players offer similar opinion to me. Good players are suddenly "toxic" and "WG shills" and it isn't going to go well from there.

Only harsh moderation would enforce an entire change in attitude. Maybe so harsh that the forum changes into a ghost town overnight as anyone is afraid to offer an opinion, or write a long post only to find this the next minute: [edited].

Many that call the forum toxic etc. have around 100 posts max. Most of them drivel and all of them demonstrating no understanding of the game. Then they wonder why they get a negative response from this community. :facepalm:

Dava_117 #10 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20900 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

What we do right?

I would say that here on the forum we usually provide contructive replies to the best posed questions or discussions. I still have to se a well written thread to be derailed.

What can be done to improve?

What about an in game badge for quality posters.

I know in the past there was a rating system: maybe bring back something similar and, if you manage to keep a nice evaluation for a while, you get an in game badge. That would be a badge I would proudly show and would also works as vanilla forumite mod. ;)

Lycopersicon #11 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10747 battles
Frankly, I don't think the atmosphere can be improved significantly. The player toxicity imo does not stem from any small details that could be remedied, it comes from the very nature of the game and unless the game were replaced with something else entirely, it is inevitable that we are mostly grumpy, frustrated, and nasty against each other.

tajj7 #12 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26487 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I'd like the reputation system back to be honest.

Also I think starting a new thread so should ask you some questions on the topic you are starting and thus direct you to say pinned threads, or for example ask you to post a replay etc. 

Baldrickk #13 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31450 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Posttajj7, on 25 January 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'd like the reputation system back to be honest.

Also I think starting a new thread so should ask you some questions on the topic you are starting and thus direct you to say pinned threads, or for example ask you to post a replay etc. 

Interesting that you suggest that,  stackoverflow (my link) does both of those things!

tajj7 #14 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26487 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBaldrickk, on 25 January 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

Interesting that you suggest that,  stackoverflow (my link) does both of those things!

Yeh I like that but I'd presume it would need good moderation and well, that might be wishful thinking here. 

seXikanac #15 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12644 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-

View PostBaldrickk, on 25 January 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Hi all.

Give me moderator role as I have extensive experience about running gaming communities, have finished conflict resolution courses, have a good mark in psychology :) Also, at the moment I have more time to police English forum than current moderators. Plus I have will to educate local forum bullies not to be toxic. That would limit my ability to fully engage in discussions but thats sacrifice Im willing to make to rehabilitate those bullies

View Postxtrem3x, on 25 January 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

This would cause less whine threads in the forum resulting in a better community

That would be nice. I loved when we where able to chat with enemies. I had opening line: Hello my gay enemies, how are you today/tonight? :)

View Postazakow, on 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

Sure back to the times where low bobs in your team give away your position to the opponents, hence denying your efforts to win the match.

Moreover, distracting your team whine messages about gold ammo usage.

Not at all a good idea.

No thank you.

Never happened in my 11.9k of battles when that option existed

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

I don't think there's a problem with the regular posters in this forum, but rather, the problem lies with those new to this particular forum.

People asking solutions to their genuine problems, will get sensible suggestions to whatever is troubling them. That's the way this forum works.

The majority of the problems, only occur when someone new to this forum, or forums in general, try and get the forum to work in the way they see fit. With nobody arguing, or debating a point.

Everybody agreeing with everybody else just to not rock boats, is no way to run a forum. Nor a life, if I'm being honest.

Do we pander to those that are so thin-skinned, that a difference of opinion is an attack on oneself..?

I do not agree with you since some of regulars are most toxic posters

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25612 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS
Free crayons for all

BravelyRanAway #17 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 23220 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postzsplintersz, on 25 January 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

Ok lets try this. Go to somebody on the street and tell him he is a whiner. Will this end well? GL & HF:)

On the WoT forum there is a common theme and context in which comments are framed.

That's why telling some stranger on the street that he is a whiner does not compare at all.......it's a useless comparison.

seXikanac #18 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12644 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-

View PostLycopersicon, on 25 January 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

Frankly, I don't think the atmosphere can be improved significantly. The player toxicity imo does not stem from any small details that could be remedied, it comes from the very nature of the game and unless the game were replaced with something else entirely, it is inevitable that we are mostly grumpy, frustrated, and nasty against each other.

Give me moderator status and Im sure that we can have less toxic forum in 15 days and those that are now toxic bullies still active on forum but well behaved

LordMuffin #19 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49210 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 25 January 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

I disagree, I believe there is a 'toxicity' or 'off-topic' or 'non-constructive' problem with some of the regular posters.

There are quite a few posters around here who regularly post off-topic, non-constructive or flat out rude/insulting posts over and over again on different topics.

I believe this to be an issue since the few worthwhile posts drowns in all the non-sense posts (from both regulars and newcomers). Just look at the big arty and MM thread.

Also, it is like ignoring or not responding is completely impossible for quite a few.

Is this forum better then others? No idea, I don't frequent any other. But I would say it could become a lot better with stricter moderating.

PowJay #20 Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37102 battles

View PostseXikanac, on 25 January 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

I do not agree with you since some of regulars are most toxic posters

And why do you think that is?

I reckon it is because we have seen every type of whine from every sort of delusional player who blames anything and everything for their bad stats while claiming that they are good. I did point out yesterday your tier V medium tank levels of average damage in your tier VIII medium tank. That is not toxicity. That is undeniable fact.

You try to defend yourself with wild claims and, to be entirely honest, make yourself look stupid. And then you complain even more about toxicity. If you could just accept that the toxic© players that you complain so much about might actually understand this game and to what they are referring to, maybe you could be better. No. Instead of trying to learn something you continue to demonstrate your ignorance of everything else these people try to point out to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users