How to improve wr on tier 9? (Ru 251/help pls)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mjs_89 #1 Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6530 battles
  • [95137] 95137

Hi guys!

As the title says, I need some advice on how to improve in my Ru 251. I recently decided to seriously start grinding it after sporadically playing my daily doubles over the last months to unlock all the modules.

However, my wr in it is 43% atm, and I do feel like I do not have a big enough impact on my games.

According to wot-life's server stats the average Ru251 player manages 49,5% wr at about 1200 wn8 and an average of 830 dmg. I'm currently sitting at close to 1900 wn8/1100dmg and (according to the in-game HoF) am among the top 400 Ru251 players on EU. Also managed to get an Ace and the first gunmark without too much effort. To me it seems like I should win at least a little more.

My current set-up is Optics/Rammer/Vents, premium rep/med/extinguisher and 21 APCR/14 HEAT/6 HE with top modules and camo. A picture of my crew and stats is in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

I do know that 89 games is a low sample size, but as I said, it feels like I'm doing too little and more often than not my team (kind of) has to carry me.

Any tips on how to do better and improve will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance and happy tanking!

:honoring:

BR33K1_PAWAH #2 Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4874 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
The only advice i can give here is to stop torturing yourself with that thing, transfer this crew to E50 line and go for it.

OMG_Abaddon #3 Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9483 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

Standard guide for stat padders:

1. Put chocolate, top gasoline if possible, and advanced repair kit (don't wanna die to a random track shot).

2. Pay 100€ for the first pay2win boost - Fort knox, you need a lot of gold to convert free XP, then dump all that into your crew. Now they should have about 5 perks each, at least you'll want BIA, 6th sense, both viewrange perks, radio perks, offroad driving, snap shot. The one that deals more module damage is cool too, but not necessary.

3. Load gold mostly, only about 5HE for lower tier arty and open top enemies, although you'll shoot gold almost exclusively.

Congratulations, you now are 30% better on that tank than before just because you paid. But don't say this game's pay2win, they'll shout at you.

mjs_89 #4 Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6530 battles
  • [95137] 95137

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 26 January 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

The only advice i can give here is to stop torturing yourself with that thing, transfer this crew to E50 line and go for it.

No need for that, as soon as the tier 6 is unlocked I'll fill it with 3-skill crew members from my artys. Also I want the Rhm, even if it's crap.

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 26 January 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

Standard guide for stat padders:

1. Put chocolate, top gasoline if possible, and advanced repair kit (don't wanna die to a random track shot).

2. Pay 100€ for the first pay2win boost - Fort knox, you need a lot of gold to convert free XP, then dump all that into your crew. Now they should have about 5 perks each, at least you'll want BIA, 6th sense, both viewrange perks, radio perks, offroad driving, snap shot. The one that deals more module damage is cool too, but not necessary.

3. Load gold mostly, only about 5HE for lower tier arty and open top enemies, although you'll shoot gold almost exclusively.

Congratulations, you now are 30% better on that tank than before just because you paid. But don't say this game's pay2win, they'll shout at you.

1) No gasoline for the Ru, also I don't want to run food if I can avoid it.

2) I already have a 5-skill crew?

3) APCR-pen is good enough I guess, I can pen most of the tanks I meet. Spamming gold when not needed is for plebs.

BR33K1_PAWAH #5 Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4874 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmjs_89, on 26 January 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

No need for that, as soon as the tier 6 is unlocked I'll fill it with 3-skill crew members from my artys. Also I want the Rhm, even if it's crap.

It's far worse than just a crap  :(

12:32 Added after 0 minutes

View Postmjs_89, on 26 January 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

1) No gasoline for the Ru, also I don't want to run food if I can avoid it.

2) I already have a 5-skill crew?

3) APCR-pen is good enough I guess, I can pen most of the tanks I meet. Spamming gold when not needed is for plebs.

Don't mind that guy, he is just being silly.

shortfuse1418 #6 Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27626 battles
  • [BYOB] BYOB

The RU is a difficult beast to master. It has great speed and a good gun but lacks DPM. Don,t try and brawl. Avoid early clashes and save your HP for later in the game. Don’t over extend, the view range is good enough for you to spot without being on top of the enemy.

The HeP ammo is brilliant but it can troll you so take a healthy mix of all types. In short, don’t die early and don’t go one to one withT100s.

SABAOTH #7 Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postmjs_89, on 26 January 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hi guys!

As the title says, I need some advice on how to improve in my Ru 251. I recently decided to seriously start grinding it after sporadically playing my daily doubles over the last months to unlock all the modules.

However, my wr in it is 43% atm, and I do feel like I do not have a big enough impact on my games.

According to wot-life's server stats the average Ru251 player manages 49,5% wr at about 1200 wn8 and an average of 830 dmg. I'm currently sitting at close to 1900 wn8/1100dmg and (according to the in-game HoF) am among the top 400 Ru251 players on EU. Also managed to get an Ace and the first gunmark without too much effort. To me it seems like I should win at least a little more.

My current set-up is Optics/Rammer/Vents, premium rep/med/extinguisher and 21 APCR/14 HEAT/6 HE with top modules and camo. A picture of my crew and stats is in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

I do know that 89 games is a low sample size, but as I said, it feels like I'm doing too little and more often than not my team (kind of) has to carry me.

Any tips on how to do better and improve will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance and happy tanking!

:honoring:

Ru is bad, it's also hard to play.

Got some nice camo but it's situational and suffers a lot the derp meta.

I have fun in it lately that I am familiarizing with the scouts, the camo is really nice, but you have to be really really careful in wher eyou go and risks you take.

mjs_89 #8 Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6530 battles
  • [95137] 95137

View Postshortfuse1418, on 26 January 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

The RU is a difficult beast to master. It has great speed and a good gun but lacks DPM. Don,t try and brawl. Avoid early clashes and save your HP for later in the game. Don’t over extend, the view range is good enough for you to spot without being on top of the enemy.

The HeP ammo is brilliant but it can troll you so take a healthy mix of all types. In short, don’t die early and don’t go one to one withT100s.

See, that's exactly my problem. Judging by my stats in it I'd assume I play it correctly, but my wr says otherwise.

I usually try to get some early spots on the enemy, to know how they deployed and maybe sneak a shot or two into their sides if the situation allows it. Then I fall back, go to where I'm needed the most. That usually means spotting for some campers or supporting allies by tracking/distracting/flanking. And I do make it to the late game often enough, the problem is that I'm so team-dependant in this thing that I can do little to nothing if my team melted and I'm left in a 3-8 or something.

14:00 Added after 3 minutes

View PostBR33K1_PAWAH, on 26 January 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

It's far worse than just a crap  :(

Yup, but I remember seeing a yt-vid of someone doing very well with it in ranked, sporting a full HE-loadout and going for tracking shots on the heavy line. That, and me starting the game with the 38t nA made me go for the Rhm, and even though I know how bad it is, I still want it as my first tier X.

Darky1029 #9 Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13957 battles

Just like any high tier light.

Scouting these days is quite useless, especially if your monkeys cant lead a shot, or hit a stationary target, can be done on mallinovka and other 'ovkas, but avoid in most maps if it puts you in direct danger.

On city maps skulk around in the beginning, stay far back either unspotted or just hiding behind heavies, take the shots you can take without taking dmg. Wait for the late game and help your allies by flanking enemies.

On open maps go to forward positions, but never go past the meeting point in the beginning of the game, unless you feel absolutely sure about yourself.

When you feel that you arent doing much on a flank. Cant get a shot in, just leave, you have the mobility to look for openings in flanks and opportunities to sneak up on enemies and shoot them in the side, which is not only great for you, but for allies as well, because enemies have to choose - Turn to you - which exposes them to allies, or ignore you, which means you can farm some free dmg.

I made some crap drawings not so long ago on some of the positions i like to use in lights, which work most of the time.

http://forum.worldof...0#entry16497380

The thing you want to do the most in lights is always look at the map. The last thing you want to do is to die in the first 3 minutes, just because youre fast, doesnt mean you should rush in to get 500 spotting dmg, play it slow, and use your mobility later, when it really matters, because the maps are too small for 15vs15 flanking in these corridors.

And with most light tanks its gonna be like that the higher you move up the tiers, its harder to get higher WR, because you cant solo carry games when you cant use the one good thing about your tank - mobility and camo, maps like fjords where you are just a gimped medium. Best you can do is to try to put as much dmg down as possible.

Lights most of the time have snappy guns, so you can be super cheeky with your shots, i like staying close to the front line in the beginning and just zoom out and watch what enemies do, peek out, take a shot without aiming - Which in lights, is gonna land somewhat near the target, and pull back in something like a second.

Knowing if you can shoot/get close without getting spotted is crucial. In high tiers its difficult, because you will get spotted around 400m most of the time, but in lower tiers, against russkies that have crap viewrange, you can abuse them, keep yourself in the zone where you can spot them, but they cant spot you, ideally while being able to shoots and not get spotted.

For the crew, the only thing you need is sixth sense, full camo crew, and 445m viewrange on the move, dont care how you achieve that, be it with food, situational awareness, recon. This stands for most paper tanks. Rammer, verstabs, coated optics/vents(if you can get good viewrange without optics).

Always get situational awareness first, as it gives more viewrange than recon. Anything else is just a bonus, repair is nice ofc, but you shouldnt be getting hit in the first place.

Edited by Darky1029, 26 January 2019 - 03:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users