• Player
  • 4777 battles
Title. Haven't played in ages.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34103 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Depends who you ask, so decide for yourself.

Scanmen #3 Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25058 battles
  • [WNB] WNB

View PostSfxHawk, on 26 January 2019 - 08:23 PM, said:

Title. Haven't played in ages.

Your last battle: 06/16/2016 
Since then, the game has changed a lot. Graphics are nicer, everything else is worse. This is my opinion, but I may be wrong... :)

AliceUnchained #4 Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 39029 battles
  • [322] 322
Rather than create this zero effort, pointless thread, just give it a try and decide for yourself. Seriously, why do you need others to have you decide something this trivial?

BonjiOrongji #5 Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42364 battles
  • [RMBLE] RMBLE
just waiting for ppl saying its not ... while playing everday themself

anonym_32bOyLluvSuR #6 Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 0 battles

Its worth a try you can download it and play a few games see for yourself.

Personally i don't think its really as bad as people make out.

if you haven't played for a while you might quite like it, you may well get the Skorpion G as a welcome back for a  weeks rental as well.

One new addition which is quite popular is Frontline mode where you respawn and have to take control over large parts of the map.

This should become a regular thing soon.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
What keeps you from trying? It's still f2p...

SABAOTH #8 Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:00 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostJigabachi, on 26 January 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

It just came to my attention that F2p could mean "free to play" or "fap that 2 key please"... now I am confused what the real meaning is. :(

DracheimFlug #9 Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10000 battles

View PostSABAOTH, on 26 January 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

It just came to my attention that F2p could mean "free to play" or "fap that 2 key please"... now I am confused what the real meaning is. :(

Well 'premium ammo' is bought with silver now and frankly as long as you only fire it when you really need to, then even playing free you should be able to use some.

anonym_32bOyLluvSuR #10 Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostDracheimFlug, on 26 January 2019 - 10:02 PM, said:

Well 'premium ammo' is bought with silver now and frankly as long as you only fire it when you really need to, then even playing free you should be able to use some.

Whaaat silver only when necessary?

I'm seeing the words but I don't understand?

You should use silver all the time especially when unnecessary

SfxHawk #11 Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4777 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 26 January 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

20 GB or something download. I don't recall game taking this much space.

View PostAliceUnchained, on 26 January 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

Rather than create this zero effort, pointless thread, just give it a try and decide for yourself. Seriously, why do you need others to have you decide something this trivial?

Zero effort, but intentionally. Nice to see some old names still around though. 

View PostBonjiOrongji, on 26 January 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

I would not be surprised. Same thing in every game.

View PostSABAOTH, on 26 January 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

Wasn't it a mix of F2P & P2W making it Free to Pay?

On a serious:

XVM or whatever it was called is still a thing?

How bad is sky cancer?

Any noteworthy gameplay changes?

Also is it worth trying to grind anything in particular nowadays?

gpalsson #12 Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

General

• Player
  • 24508 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
UI is much better and graphics are much better. the rest is the same or worse. still a pretty fun game.

Stalpanter #13 Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8207 battles

View PostBonjiOrongji, on 26 January 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

*edit*

Edited by _eLJay_, 27 January 2019 - 11:15 AM.
Inappropriate remarks

NekoPuffer_PPP #14 Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:02 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 34197 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostSfxHawk, on 26 January 2019 - 11:15 PM, said:

On a serious:

How bad is sky cancer?

It's free to play, and the pay-to-win aspect, which is gold ammo, is now no longer available for gold, they are only available for credits. WG is planning to reduce the damage of gold ammo in 2019, thus making the lower damage potential a compromise for more penetration. It's still in testing and no real timeframe for when the change goes live has been announced, yet.

XVM is still a thing and I hate it.

Arty now deals less damage and has less penetration, so oneshots are much rarer. However, it can now stun tanks, reducing their main handling parameters (aiming, driving, reload) for a few seconds by 30% IIRC.

Old preferential-mm premium tanks have been buffed (KV-5, SuperP, IS-6, WZ-111, etc.). Other than that, not much except a new graphics engine, but there are wheeled French tanks coming in the next update, which is just around the corner, together with multi-threading support which will make full use of all your CPU's cores, increasing FPS.

Japanese heavy tanks are strong, but no line really stands out tbh.

Edited by PervyPastryPuffer, 27 January 2019 - 12:02 AM.

OMG_Abaddon #15 Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13954 battles
Also don't forget premium consumables that no freemium will ever be able to afford. I made 6 million today and still don't have enough to buy a decent amount of consumables that would last until the next 50% discount. I also bought 999 of each small consumable but that's not important.

kubawt112 #16 Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

(...)

Well over 30 when installed. Still optimized for running on old potatoes, though loading times can be very slow even on playable hardware. SSD helps a lot, which kind of makes you wonder when the minimum requirements are low-mid spec 2012 laptops.
War Thunder, by comparison, takes about 25GB and works well off a (slow-ish) hard drive. That's rather impressive considering the amount of content that game has.

(...)

(...)

Some is the key word. It's pretty much consensus that more, ahem, dedicated players aren't too happy with the direction the game's turning. Face-to-face, single-lane brawling and changes to view range, bushes and maps that makes stealth sniping a breeze - and that's before we touch on the tanks.

Also a few old names out to 'technical issues'. Some back in new colours, though.

(...)

(...)

WoT supposedly can't be 'P2W' because you can't literally pay to win. Of course, since 2016 we've seen an ever increasing amount of general powercreep (which is debatable, but might force e.g. clan wars participants to spend cash to unlock and purchase the newest T10s out of necessity) and T8 tanks with clearly above-average performance.

It's not something new that the vehicles are borderline, but the gameplay makes it hard for a good player in a "bad" tank to deal with a bad-average player in a really good one. The matchmaking 'hides' a lot of the issues inherent in these tanks, too. If you play the organized modes that include T8s, like Team Battles or Stronghold battles, it becomes very obvious what has happened: The vehicles and ammo choice become the most important factor (especially so in SH, where you're matched against teams with equal skill).

How bad is sky cancer?

XVM is a thing, but most configs at least removed the win chance predictor. Hardly the biggest issue in the game, but it doesn't exactly help matters.

Artillery is different. Debatable if it's better or worse, but it's bound to be annoying - especially since the changes corrected anything but the lack of 'camping prevention'. Instead, map changes make it more likely that advancing gets you spotted and nuked by SPGs and TDs alike. Sidecraping and hulldown positions are king.

Aside from that, I guess you didn't catch the matchmaking or draw distance changes. Former is being changed because it failed hard. Latter was the change from a square to a circular max. draw distance - which means a noticeable reduction in diagonal shots, reducing the firing lines into certain camping positions. In effect, most 'dedicated TD positions' (in Wargaming's words, literally now a map feature) can't shoot the opposite side's 'TD positions'. How's that for great game design, eh?

As for grinding, the T-10 (and the 257 you likely also have unlocked) should fare OK still and the 277/IS-7 are in classic Soviet fashion decent-good T10s. IS-6 should be workable, though not quite the powerhouse it was years ago. The penetration is definitely lackluster for the typical corner-brawling meta.

All in all, I find it still worth returning to every now and then. It's fun as long as you don't realize how much the game screws you over or if you platoon with friends. That's what keeping me playing, anyway.

Robbie_T #17 Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20141 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
I would advice you to come check out the Fronline mode in February.

yaourti #18 Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:51 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5964 battles
  • [DUMBA] DUMBA
Check it out, I play artillery :great:

Dava_117 #19 Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22512 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Most recent games are around 50GB, even more. The heaviest game I ever installed was Ark Survival Evolved, that at some poimt was around 100GB!

On a serious:

XVM or whatever it was called is still a thing? Yes, XVM still there but looks like it's becaming less and less used.

How bad is sky cancer? Were you still playing when arty got reworked? If yes, nothing changed. If no, arty now don't have AP/HEAT shells anymore, HE damage has been reduced but now can stun your crew greatly reducing the tank performances while still splashing your HT for 500-600HP.

Any noteworthy gameplay changes? Sweedish TDs with siege mode and Italian autoreloaders are probably the 2 most important new mechanics. The MM now is mainly based around 3 patterns, namely 3/5/7, 5/10 and single tier games. Now LTs ho up to tier 10 and many got nerfed because they lost the scout MM.

Depends on what you like playing. Give us some clue about that and we may be able to gibe you some nice suggestions.

Sfinski #20 Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36513 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostSfxHawk, on 27 January 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

I would not be surprised. Same thing in every game.

On a serious:

Still a thingn yes, but might get removed this year.

How bad is sky cancer?

Worse than ever, more accurate, faster aiming and faster firing, bigger splash and with annoying stun. Only one hit wonders happen more rarely, but it doesn't matter as all the unnecessary buffs outweigh the nerf on damage many times over.

Maps have been removed and made more into corridors. Hitboxes are broken on terrain and obstacles like houses. Heavy armour dominates the game which forces heavy prem ammo usage.

Just the flavour of the month/year tanks that might get buffed or nerfed. Personal mission tanks are worth it now, well t9+ atleast.

Edited by Sfinski, 27 January 2019 - 12:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users