Jump to content


Is It Still Worth Loading Premium Rounds Into Arty Now?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

SlyMeerkat #1 Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 17965 battles
  • 2,843
  • [FILO] FILO
  • Member since:
    01-29-2013
I have been wondering about this for a while now and that is, is it really necessary to load premium rounds in to arty as from what i seen, all it gives is that extra bit of splash and thats it, seems a bit pointless to me now not to mention a bigger waste of credits..... Normal rounds suffice enough in my opinion, what do you think?

Edited by SlyMeerkat, 27 January 2019 - 06:23 PM.


Somnorila #2 Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 57499 battles
  • 2,183
  • Member since:
    10-13-2012

There is no reason to pay four times more just to get like 1m splash range. So the premium shell on arty are completely pointless. Then again if their splash range, damage penetration, stun time would be increased in a visible way then the shell would be right in the pay to win area because would put at a disadvantage the play for free people. We have this with the rest of the "better AP" shells like the APCR and HEAT as well as the HE shells on some different TD's and also the rest of premium consumables leading with food stuff.

 

They should bring back arty AP shells and remove the ability to stun with them, also remove the ability to use kits for the duration of the stun. 



ederfe #3 Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16793 battles
  • 390
  • Member since:
    01-13-2015
Just 1m sounds small but unless I made a complete brainfart going from 8m to 9m means a 27% larger area. Not so small difference anymore that.

SlyMeerkat #4 Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 17965 battles
  • 2,843
  • [FILO] FILO
  • Member since:
    01-29-2013

View Postederfe, on 27 January 2019 - 05:51 PM, said:

Just 1m sounds small but unless I made a complete brainfart going from 8m to 9m means a 27% larger area. Not so small difference anymore that.

 

Yeah but how often will that really be needed, ultra rare if you ask me, i cant think of a single time where i thought "this would be a good time to load a premium round"

Edited by SlyMeerkat, 27 January 2019 - 07:08 PM.


Orkbert #5 Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 27355 battles
  • 2,000
  • Member since:
    08-29-2013

View Postederfe, on 27 January 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

Just 1m sounds small but unless I made a complete brainfart going from 8m to 9m means a 27% larger area. Not so small difference anymore that.

 

Then again with the current HE damage concept the damage that can be done in that extra 27% area is minuscule. HP damage caused will be negligible (single digits or simply just zero damage) and most likely not even enough track damage to even stop the target.

 

Basically you pay four to five times as much for those premium shells but all that you effectively get is a slightly better chance to cause the minimum stun duration and not much more.

 

Now while this could have its uses (all those personal missions in which you are required to stun or get stun assistance might be passed just a wee bit faster) it is still a bad trade off in my opinion.



ederfe #6 Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16793 battles
  • 390
  • Member since:
    01-13-2015

View PostOrkbert, on 27 January 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

 

Then again with the current HE damage concept the damage that can be done in that extra 27% area is minuscule. HP damage caused will be negligible (single digits or simply just zero damage) and most likely not even enough track damage to even stop the target.

 

Basically you pay four to five times as much for those premium shells but all that you effectively get is a slightly better chance to cause the minimum stun duration and not much more.

 

Now while this could have its uses (all those personal missions in which you are required to stun or get stun assistance might be passed just a wee bit faster) it is still a bad trade off in my opinion.

 

Yeah was not trying to advocate premiumammo use. Just wanted to make it clearer what the 1m difference means in practice. Good to know it is minimum stun duration for that added area of effect. So switching to premium adds + ~25% area and minimum stun duration for that area.

 

Can as you say be uaeful for missions.



Darth_Clicker #7 Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 58947 battles
  • 3,412
  • [4RCE] 4RCE
  • Member since:
    04-30-2013

View PostOrkbert, on 27 January 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

 

Then again with the current HE damage concept the damage that can be done in that extra 27% area is minuscule. HP damage caused will be negligible (single digits or simply just zero damage) and most likely not even enough track damage to even stop the target.

 

Basically you pay four to five times as much for those premium shells but all that you effectively get is a slightly better chance to cause the minimum stun duration and not much more.

 

Now while this could have its uses (all those personal missions in which you are required to stun or get stun assistance might be passed just a wee bit faster) it is still a bad trade off in my opinion.

 

Yeah.....what Orkbert said.....:great:

Somnorila #8 Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 57499 battles
  • 2,183
  • Member since:
    10-13-2012

View Postederfe, on 27 January 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

Just 1m sounds small but unless I made a complete brainfart going from 8m to 9m means a 27% larger area. Not so small difference anymore that.

 

I don't get along with math that good but i think that 27% is a bit more but around 1/4. Make 8:4=2. So not 1 which would rather be more like about 13%.

Or 100%=8, 50%=4, 25%=2, 12.5%=1.

But in regards of actual benefit is insignificant. 400% increase in cost traded for 13% splash range. If you're going to miss that far is your fault for shooting and 1m bonus is unlikely to help. It may sound useful if you want to flush out some enemy covering in a position you can't reach, but that's a bit too tactic for randoms. I'm actually curious what's the diameter of a fully aimed arty reticle and the diameter of the splash and if it's really obvious for a player the difference between 8m splash and 9m splash. This could be measured with two friends sitting at 50 from each other. I get the feeling that the 50m is so small that would put things in to perspective regarding that 1m bonus as a total crap that doesn't worth the cost.



captainpigg #9 Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:42 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33014 battles
  • 956
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV
  • Member since:
    02-22-2014
Though if you need stun/dmg x amount of tanks in one shot for missions, it is better then.

Edited by captainpigg, 28 January 2019 - 07:42 PM.


ederfe #10 Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 16793 battles
  • 390
  • Member since:
    01-13-2015

View PostSomnorila, on 28 January 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

 

I don't get along with math that good but i think that 27% is a bit more but around 1/4. Make 8:4=2. So not 1 which would rather be more like about 13%.

Or 100%=8, 50%=4, 25%=2, 12.5%=1.

But in regards of actual benefit is insignificant. 400% increase in cost traded for 13% splash range. If you're going to miss that far is your fault for shooting and 1m bonus is unlikely to help. It may sound useful if you want to flush out some enemy covering in a position you can't reach, but that's a bit too tactic for randoms. I'm actually curious what's the diameter of a fully aimed arty reticle and the diameter of the splash and if it's really obvious for a player the difference between 8m splash and 9m splash. This could be measured with two friends sitting at 50 from each other. I get the feeling that the 50m is so small that would put things in to perspective regarding that 1m bonus as a total crap that doesn't worth the cost.

 

Didn't really follow your mathematical reasoning but yes 1m is 12,5 % of 8m. We are talking about different things though. You use splashradius as measure where I measured the size of the whole area of effect.

 

8m radius circle has an area of 201m^2 and and 9m one has an area of 254m^2. 53m^2 ( or 26% ) bigger than 201m^2. For comparison 53m^2 is the area of a circle with 4m.

 

Nothing else to add. Still only might have its uses for stunmissions might not.


Edited by ederfe, 29 January 2019 - 04:04 PM.


Orkbert #11 Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 27355 battles
  • 2,000
  • Member since:
    08-29-2013

View Postederfe, on 29 January 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

 

Didn't really follow your mathematical reasoning but yes 1m is 12,5 % of 8m. We are talking about different things though. You use splashradius as measure where I measured the size of the whole area of effect.

 

8m radius circle has an area of 201m^2 and and 9m one has an area of 254m^2. 53m^2 ( or 26% ) bigger than 201m^2. For comparison 53m^2 is the area of a circle with 4m.

 

Nothing else to add. Still only might have its uses for stunmissions might not.

 

I can see the reason for only taking the radius in account instead of the whole area: number of targets.

 

If you are firing at a single target the only metric that matters is how far away from the target your shell lands, and for that only the radius matters, the area coverage is largely irrelevant, and then you are indeed paying four times the shell price for a ~12% increase.

 

Only when there are multiple targets in your target zone then the area coverage becomes a meaningful factor. And even then it still seems quite like a rip-off, when the old premium HE would have increased the splash radius by almost 50% (and the area covered would be effectively doubled)

 

I admit that they couldn't have kept up such a large increase due to the stun ammo already having a large splash radius to start with (Pre-Stun the GWE100 had 6,44m splash with regular and 9,21m with premium HE, whereas nowadays it already starts with 12,6m on regular, 18m with premium would be kinda lolwut even if it would then be actually realistic) but still the current radius increase is way too small to justify the shell price.



Darth_Clicker #12 Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:37 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 58947 battles
  • 3,412
  • [4RCE] 4RCE
  • Member since:
    04-30-2013

View PostOrkbert, on 29 January 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

 

...whereas nowadays it already starts with 12,6m on regular, 18m with premium would be kinda lolwut even if it would then be actually realistic) but still the current radius increase is way too small to justify the shell price.

Yeah...18m radius splash would probably, literally cause waves over in World of Warships and then WG would have to contend with the complaining from those players....:arta:



Fibonachi #13 Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 28591 battles
  • 844
  • [FREEP] FREEP
  • Member since:
    01-07-2011

I don't think it was ever worth it to use "special" HE. I did use AP/HEAT in the good old days for arty (before the great nerfs of 9.18).

 

I'd much rather see WG trade those worthless +1m splash rounds for good old AP rounds.



jack_timber #14 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 38133 battles
  • 2,953
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Usually carry a 50/50 load out and depending on map may load 'special' first, GBs always load special first want the larger splash as often as not you can get 2 to 3 tanks all huddled together.

Other maps just load standard. 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users