Spotting

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

McLad_1 #1 Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD
Seems to me,the art of spotting is a forgotten skill at the moment in the game,not a lot of players seem to know how to spot in a sensible way or am i just imagining it ?                                                                               Any opinions ?      

Ubervold #2 Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23110 battles
Spotting targets for other players is not really that rewarding. And often when you DO spot for the team noone is taking advantage of it. It can be frustrating at times.

McLad_1 #3 Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostUbervold, on 28 January 2019 - 06:37 AM, said:

Spotting targets for other players is not really that rewarding. And often when you DO spot for the team noone is taking advantage of it. It can be frustrating at times.

I know it can be frustrating but you do get rewarded for assist damage,it just seems to me not a lot of the players know how to spot in the game at the moment,i am more wondering if it is down to WG getting people to rush up tiers or if it is like you say,people do not feel it is rewarding enough

Shacou #4 Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22729 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

View PostMcLad_1, on 28 January 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

I know it can be frustrating but you do get rewarded for assist damage,it just seems to me not a lot of the players know how to spot in the game at the moment,i am more wondering if it is down to WG getting people to rush up tiers or if it is like you say,people do not feel it is rewarding enough

It's simple, people who know how to spot, get teamkilled. So nobody does it anymore.

Kartoshkaya #5 Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27383 battles
  • [HAPY-] HAPY-
Lemme guess, you play TD and expect scouts to go suicide for you ?

Baldrickk #6 Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Well,  last night I ended up in a no-scout game on Malinovka.

Seeing that I had a tank that could do the job, I rushed to an agressive bush put up binos.
I didn't shoot the entire first half of the battle.

I then pushed mid, then right into enemy territory, once again lighting up targets.

I got the scout badge, but ended up doing more damage myself than the team was able to off my spotting, despite spending more time spotting enemies than firing at them.

And that's on a open, spotting friendly map.

OreH75 #7 Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

Major

• Player
  • 52835 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

View PostMcLad_1, on 28 January 2019 - 07:28 AM, said:

Seems to me,the art of spotting is a forgotten skill at the moment in the game,not a lot of players seem to know how to spot in a sensible way or am i just imagining it ?                                                                               Any opinions ?      

Most people that forgot how to spot don;t drive a light tank..

TankkiPoju #8 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 23680 battles

View PostMcLad_1, on 28 January 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

it just seems to me not a lot of the players know how to spot in the game at the moment,i am more wondering if it is down to WG getting people to rush up tiers or if it is like you say,people do not feel it is rewarding enough

Maybe a lot of players have different idea about the role of light tanks than you.

There is a reason why tier 10 batchat 25t is the best light tank in the game, and it isn't view range or camo.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 28 January 2019 - 09:04 AM.

McLad_1 #9 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostShacou, on 28 January 2019 - 07:33 AM, said:

It's simple, people who know how to spot, get teamkilled. So nobody does it anymore.

i would put this down to lack of game knowledge

View PostKartoshkaya, on 28 January 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

Lemme guess, you play TD and expect scouts to go suicide for you ?

i play all types of tanks and i expect no-one to suicide,if you do not have have something constructive to add please refrain

View PostBaldrickk, on 28 January 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

Well, last night I ended up in a no-scout game on Malinovka.

Seeing that I had a tank that could do the job, I rushed to an agressive bush put up binos.
I didn't shoot the entire first half of the battle.

I then pushed mid, then right into enemy territory, once again lighting up targets.

I got the scout badge, but ended up doing more damage myself than the team was able to off my spotting, despite spending more time spotting enemies than firing at them.

And that's on a open, spotting friendly map.

This is how Ubervold sees it,the spotting and no-one taking advantage of it  

McLad_1 #10 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostOreH75, on 28 January 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

Most people that forgot how to spot don;t drive a light tank..

i dont understand this answer sorry

View PostTankkiPoju, on 28 January 2019 - 08:03 AM, said:

Maybe a lot of players have different idea about the role of light tanks than you.

There is a reason why tier 10 batchat 25t is the best light tank in the game, and it isn't view range or camo.

I thought lights were to spot targets through-out the battle and get early info if possible,but i am talking about spotting as a skill in the game that lights/meds are capable of doing but very few seem to understand how to spot it seems to me,or are capable of taking advantage of a player getting good spots in like in Baldrickk`s example

gpalsson #11 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:21 AM

General

• Player
  • 24508 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

You could play lt yourself then.

The only problem with LTs is:

*) On 1/2 of maps you will be useless because spotting is irrelevant on a tier 2 map like Ensk.

*) On the good maps you need to have a team who can actually hit what you spot.

*) Spotting is not rewarded very highly compared to damage. 

*) Some mediums are light tanks than light tanks (BC25t)

*) you get yelled at by clickers and TDs fabbing in the base

So all in all you can have fun once every 3 to 5 battles. 

LordMuffin #12 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 52608 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostMcLad_1, on 28 January 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

My issue is that when I spot enemies, my team mates don't know how to shoot the enemies I spot.

McLad_1 #13 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View Postgpalsson, on 28 January 2019 - 08:21 AM, said:

You could play lt yourself then.

The only problem with LTs is:

*) On 1/2 of maps you will be useless because spotting is irrelevant on a tier 2 map like Ensk.

*) On the good maps you need to have a team who can actually hit what you spot.

*) Spotting is not rewarded very highly compared to damage. 

*) Some mediums are light tanks than light tanks (BC25t)

*) you get yelled at by clickers and TDs fabbing in the base

So all in all you can have fun once every 3 to 5 battles. 

im grinding 4 tier IX at the moment,one i am not so impressed by,which is when i noticed the spotting thing,once i get them out the way i will get onto the russian light line which,going by the opinions so far,will be as fun as the unimpressive tier IX i am doing atm

View PostLordMuffin, on 28 January 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

My issue is that when I spot enemies, my team mates don't know how to shoot the enemies I spot.

seems to be a general opinion 

Long_Range_Sniper #14 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 37423 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostMcLad_1, on 28 January 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

Spotting may be a lost skill, but even more challenging is the general lowering of player skill at higher tiers. Because for a spotter to be effective it takes them to do their job and the tanks shooting to do their job. The number of times on Prok I see players camping the one line shouting “spot noob” when you know they are too far back to hit anything you spot. 

A spotter should counter the locations that give the enemy map control and your team should position to shoot those locations.

When they all rush beach on Overlord there’s not a lot a light tank can do,

LordMuffin #15 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 52608 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostMcLad_1, on 28 January 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

im grinding 4 tier IX at the moment,one i am not so impressed by,which is when i noticed the spotting thing,once i get them out the way i will get onto the russian light line which,going by the opinions so far,will be as fun as the unimpressive tier IX i am doing atm

seems to be a general opinion 

Yes it is a general opinion and rather common aswell. Many players in this game are terrible at shooting at range, I can provide better support fire in lower tiered light/medium/heavy tanks that quite a few manage to do in top tiered TDs from exact same position.

Quite often, you can evaluate your teams skill by spotting enemies and see how much assistance damage you get.

If you spot many targets and get no/low assistance damage, you know you have to do the damage yourself and that spotting in that battle is simply not worth it.

If you spot and get much assistance damage, you know you will have a rather easy time winning.

Edited by LordMuffin, 28 January 2019 - 09:44 AM.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #16 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

A major strength of lights is flexibility, they can do a lot of things. If spotting isn't working for you or your team can't make good use of your spots then do something else!

Start using your gun, spot another area so they'll be able to shoot, harass and hound the enemy lights, find and kill a lone target, etc., lights can do a lot of stuff.

McLad_1 #17 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 28 January 2019 - 08:43 AM, said:

Spotting may be a lost skill, but even more challenging is the general lowering of player skill at higher tiers. Because for a spotter to be effective it takes them to do their job and the tanks shooting to do their job. The number of times on Prok I see players camping the one line shouting “spot noob” when you know they are too far back to hit anything you spot. 

A spotter should counter the locations that give the enemy map control and your team should position to shoot those locations.

When they all rush beach on Overlord there’s not a lot a light tank can do,

So its lack of game knowledge in your opinion ? Maybe down to WG`s pushing players up the tiers too fast ?

View PostLordMuffin, on 28 January 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

Yes it is a general opinion and rather common aswell. Many players in this game are terrible at shooting at range, I can provide better support fire in lower tiered light/medium/heavy tanks that quite a few manage to do in top tiered TDs from exact same position.

Quite often, you can evaluate your teams skill by spotting enemies and see how much assistance damage you get.

If you spot many targets and get no/low assistance damage, you know you have to do the damage yourself and that spotting in that battle is simply not worth it.

If you spot and get much assistance damage, you know you will have a rather easy time winning.

Again,maybe down to WG`s pushing people up the tiers too fast ?
09:01 Added after 1 minute

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 28 January 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

A major strength of lights is flexibility, they can do a lot of things. If spotting isn't working for you or your team can't make good use of your spots then do something else!

Start using your gun, spot another area so they'll be able to shoot, harass and hound the enemy lights, find and kill a lone target, etc., lights can do a lot of stuff.

Advice i hopefully can put to use when i do the russian light line grind

XxKuzkina_MatxX #18 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 53231 battles

View PostMcLad_1, on 28 January 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Advice i hopefully can put to use when i do the russian light line grind

Russian lights are medium/light hybrids, they sport good guns with decent penetration so you'll find yourself often doing good amounts of damage alongside spotting. Good luck with your grind.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #19 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34085 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostLordMuffin, on 28 January 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

My issue is that when I spot enemies, my team grind to a halt and don't move looking for sniping opportunities and consequently end up losing map control. :P

McLad_1 #20 Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [WIKD] WIKD

View PostXxKuzkina_MatxX, on 28 January 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

Russian lights are medium/light hybrids, they sport good guns with decent penetration so you'll find yourself often doing good amounts of damage alongside spotting. Good luck with your grind.

Thx,but i will need more than luck :coin:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users