low fps nvidia laptop

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

nalrav #1 Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21192 battles

Hello guys!

I'm using a basic 2012 relic laptop with i5 4gb ram and 2gb gt555m graphic card and i just updated my gpu drivers. My in game graphic settings are inexistent aka minimum/low/off depending on the setting. 

Before the update of my GPU drivers I had a decent ~60fps that would sometimes drop on certain maps with thick foileage(altough I have set foileage to off or minimum or whatever) but after the recent patches the fps drop had become more and more obvious and often so I decided to try an update. Kept the ingame settings and voila, my first game was played at +70 fps. So the GPU can handle more. The second game fps dropped to 50-60fps. The third and from then on I barely hit 20fps. 

If I restart the game the cycle begins anew.

This is basically it. Any help is appreciated.

p.s. I run the game fullscreen at 1920x1080. The issue persists at different settings. (windowed/full screen, different res)

Thanks!

Edited by nalrav, 28 January 2019 - 09:35 PM.

jack_timber #2 Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

Major

• Player
  • 35791 battles

Could be a heat issue, maybe.

When I played WoT on laptop I had to clean out the fan/heatsink  regularly, every 2 to 3 months its surprising how much dirt gets lodged in there. Biggest problem was I had to remove base to give it a right good clean out, tiny, tiny screws:(

What I found helped was one of those laptop cooler stands, being tightfisted I made my own using a MacDonalds tray and a 4 inch fan blowing directly into fan inlet on bottom of laptop. It helped mine.

Homer_J #3 Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjack_timber, on 29 January 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

Could be a heat issue, maybe.

That would be my guess.

Thermal throttling of either CPU or GPU.

Laptop heatsinks can be a nightmare to get at though as you say.

The 1.4 update might help.

jack_timber #4 Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

Major

• Player
  • 35791 battles

Meant to say that only take base off laptop if you are willing to delve into the "guts" of your PC.

On mine there were 2 tiny ribbon 'tracks' that I had to remove, it was fairly easy to remove these but a right so & so to refit.

@Homer_J  it will be interesting to see what performance gains 1.4 brings with multi core support.

Homer_J #5 Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30428 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjack_timber, on 29 January 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

@Homer_J  it will be interesting to see what performance gains 1.4 brings with multi core support.

On my laptop - none.  Others have reported some good increases, though it seems to be AMD processors, which ironically I ditched in order to get better WoT performance.

jack_timber #6 Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

Major

• Player
  • 35791 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 29 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

On my laptop - none.  Others have reported some good increases, though it seems to be AMD processors, which ironically I ditched in order to get better WoT performance.

Ironic or what, I went the other way. Ditched I7 in favour of Ryzen5, let's see what 6 cores can do when it's launched.

nalrav #7 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21192 battles

Guys... Please, stay on topic. 

I didnt think about overheating since my laptop remains relatively cool even during gaming sessions. The fan does rev up a bit but I wouldnt say it gets hot by no means. Still, I will check the temp of the CPU and GPU during gaming sessions and will come back with some relevant info. I have yet to know where I should check this for but I think I will manage.

Oh, and another thing. I dont seem to make my gamma settings work. The game changes randomly the setting and fiddling with the in-game slider makes no difference. The gamma setting in NVIDIA control panel is set to off. Basically at random times the game changes my windows gamma setting/color profile. I need to restart to change it back.

Thanks for the replies so far.

jack_timber #8 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Major

• Player
  • 35791 battles

Check temps, I used to place my hand beside exhaust port on laptop and thought it was hot but it's subjective...

What I had set on mine, can't think which program I used, was the ability to throttle CPU when temperature reached a "certain" leval just check to see. If memory serves me right Intel recommended no higher than 90 c, think I had mine set to throttle back at 80. Still flaming hit mind you.

Bit of a rambling reply I am afraid.

Oh yes updated your driver's? 

Just remembered I now use MSI afterburner on desktop to monitor temps etc, useful program as long as you don't fiddle around with voltage/frequency settings.

Edited by jack_timber, 29 January 2019 - 01:10 PM.

nalrav #9 Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21192 battles

Well sad news.

Checked temp on both CPU and GPU and even though the laptop itself feels cool, at most warm to the touch, the temps reached and maintained ~90degrees temps during gameplay. While fps kept a decent 60fps for a couple of minutes, thanks to a 70-80degrees temp, it dropped to a 20smth when temp reached 90. 

I guess this laptop just ran its course and I dont believe there is much to be done. Ill give it a clean, maybe some new thermal paste; dunno if i can use it on the GPU.

If anyone has any ideeas hit me up. Im open to anything (except that cooling stand haha)

View Postjack_timber, on 29 January 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

Oh yes updated your driver's? 

Yea, did it before I started this topic. I run the 042.29 NVIDIA driver version.

jack_timber #10 Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Major

• Player
  • 35791 battles

If you have not cleaned out fan, ducts etc for a whiles then a good clean will certainly bring down the temps, I use the hoover to clean mine out with that brush thingy attached. If you want to go high tech you can get an aerosol air duster from Poundland.

But depending on design of laptop means you might have to partially strip it out, check on YT for videos on how to do it on your model.

It isn't difficult just fiddly... GL

LandserSkin #11 Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31959 battles
  • [HTKL] HTKL

I have been having FPS issues also. Yesterday the game worked perfectly fine, but today it would not go beyond 20-30 fps. I usually have 60+. I run an i5 quad core, 8 gb of ram and Asus GTX 950OC Strix. I use a SSD for Windows and have a 1 TB Red Edition Western HDD for games. Strange is that i start all matches with 250+ ping, but once the counter is done it goes back to the normal 50-60. What could it be? Heat is ok i have a monitor and alers if heat gets too high, my PC is clean on the inside. Anyone have any ideas? I run no mods. Can FPS be affected by internet speed fluctuations?

P.S. In the garage it runs at full 60+ FPS.

Edited by LandserSkin, 02 February 2019 - 11:47 PM.

jack_timber #12 Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:51 PM

Major

• Player
  • 35791 battles

Yes a high ping pulls my FPS way low, from 110 @ 35 ms ping to around 80 @ 150 +.

What is worse are the lag spikes usually just as you are about to shoot :(

nalrav #13 Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21192 battles

View Postjack_timber, on 29 January 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

If you have not cleaned out fan, ducts etc for a whiles then a good clean will certainly bring down the temps, I use the hoover to clean mine out with that brush thingy attached. If you want to go high tech you can get an aerosol air duster from Poundland.

But depending on design of laptop means you might have to partially strip it out, check on YT for videos on how to do it on your model.

It isn't difficult just fiddly... GL

I haven't cleaned my fan since... probably 2015 haha. I'll do it. I'll do it now :playing: 

By hoover you prolly mean the vacuum cleaner. I'll give it a go at 1st.

I want to go high tech but unfortunately I have no ideea what Poundland is. I live in Romania. We only got farmers market and dark web.:hiding:

My laptop is Asus N55SF and I disemboweled the bastard a couple of times to the bone. No biggies there:coin:

Dunno why Im in such a good mood. I just played a couple of games at 19fps. Though the last was pretty epic. Decided to be a clicker; gave a T95 with 95HP a full frontal 1100 avg dmg HE. Just stuned him. This game....

Ok, enough rambling on the side, coming back to this topic:

View Postnalrav, on 29 January 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

Oh, and another thing. I dont seem to make my gamma settings work. The game changes randomly the setting and fiddling with the in-game slider makes no difference. The gamma setting in NVIDIA control panel is set to off. Basically at random times the game changes my windows gamma setting/color profile. I need to restart to change it back.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Any thoughts about this? For example this night I played with 20fps tops, but gamma remained unchanged.

View PostLandserSkin, on 03 February 2019 - 01:30 AM, said:

Strange is that i start all matches with 250+ ping, but once the counter is done it goes back to the normal 50-60. What could it be? Heat is ok i have a monitor and alers if heat gets too high, my PC is clean on the inside. Anyone have any ideas? I run no mods. Can FPS be affected by internet speed fluctuations?

For me it has always been like this.3 digit ping during countdown, then it always drops to the normal value, which for me is 30-50ms. But its true, ping spikes, lag and usually a bad internet connection can make you feel like playing with low fps. I'm being overly cautious stating otherwise since I rarely if ever experience lag in WOT, or spikes and I have never thought of checking FPS during those remote times BUT in other games, specifically a TDS I used to play, having bad ping/lag/connection used to bring down my fps considerably. 

Also tagged with low, fps, nvidia, laptop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users