What are your initial thoughts on wheeled vehicles?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Arkarthurer #1 Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9064 battles

Dear Forumites,

I've been on the Test server recently and have seen wheeled vehicles in action. It certainly brings a new dynamic to the game.

I was on Studzianki in an AMX 13 90. I ventured to the middle and up the side of the trench towards the village. Out of nowhere, what I can only describe as a swarm of wheeled vehicles surrounded me. I couldn't turn the turret quick enough to keep up. Click, one lucky shot clips one of them but before I know it I am toast.

As I stare from my charred carcass, I see the wheeled death-dealers race into the corner and take out the first artillery, then the second.

Meanwhile, blissfully unaware were the heavy tanks engaged around the factory and the medium tanks up on the hill. 

It wasn't long before they were flanked and death was dealt to them also.

The whole game was over in about two minutes.

I've been playing WoT for two years now and it's changed a lot in that time but it seems to be turning more into a fast-paced arcade game. 

I can't help worry this will put a lot a lot of established players off the game, as they may have preferred the 'military strategy' aspect of it more which we seem to be losing.

I thought it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

Ark'

Edited by Arkarthurer, 29 January 2019 - 10:57 AM.

signal11th #2 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39462 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Content for contents sake. not needed and won't make the game any better if not the opposite, tactics in this game is rapidly going the way of the dodo.

Edited by signal11th, 29 January 2019 - 11:18 AM.

FluffyRedFox #3 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

General

• Player
  • 24139 battles
My intial thoughts on them were a group of mediocre but fun vehicles with a lot of meme potential. They've now nerfed them, which is hilarious as the tier 9 and 10 were the worst vehicles of their respective tier even before getting nerfed so I don't think they're worth it now even for memes. Played the 705a on test, didn't get why people were having issues with them. I outspot them so I saw them coming a mile off, and I'm not incompetent at aiming so they weren't that hard to hit, and I was in a heavy so they're guns were worthless against me.

Jumping_Turtle #4 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 64595 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

Probably too fast for me. I already have troubles keeping up with the PZ1C. And that is what I like about WOT, it is a bit more slow paste game and not some racing game where extreme reactions are needed like in other shooters.

So I am not jumping up and down on my chair for these changes and new tanks. And I hated wheeled tanks in AW because of the driving is totally different from tracks so doubt I will even try them.

gpalsson #5 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

General

• Player
  • 23647 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
fun but useless

tajj7 #6 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26470 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

They are going to be useless meme tanks basically. 

Yet again WG is taking feedback from the common test, which is a completely useless environment to make balance changes from. It's got lag, its full of players who barely play above tier 5 playing tier 10 tanks, teamkillers, yolo players, and any new vehicles there will be usually 4-5 + per side, if not more like 8-10 per side, which is never going to happen on live. Plus everyone spams premium everything and has like 11 skill crews because WG gives every billions of free XP. 

Basically its nothing like the live meta, but WG nerf new vehicles based on these tests, which means come live they are generally not well balanced, and in this case the wheeled vehicles will be challenging for the worst performers on each tier, the EBR 105 is going to give the Rhm. Panzerwagon a run for its money as the worst tier 10 vehicle. 

Their gun power is too weak, their survability is too weak, all to balance extreme mobility, which is not only massively over rated considering our map/armour meta, but they have even nerfed it, so its not really extreme anymore with basically these things going about 15-25kph faster than same tier lights, with similar hp/ton, similar camo and then being way worse in every other single way. 

jack_timber #7 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 35887 battles
Wheely good by the looks of it :)

Unicorn_of_Steel #8 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10114 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A
I hope we'll see the German Puma one day. Certainly am going to try and grind the French ones.

Captain_Kremen0 #9 Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38024 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
Saw one as I passed through Chorlton on me way home. It was stuck in traffic too.

FluffyRedFox #10 Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

General

• Player
  • 24139 battles

View Posttajj7, on 29 January 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Yet again WG is taking feedback from the common test, which is a completely useless environment to make balance changes from. It's got lag, its full of players who barely play above tier 5 playing tier 10 tanks, teamkillers, yolo players, and any new vehicles there will be usually 4-5 + per side, if not more like 8-10 per side, which is never going to happen on live. Plus everyone spams premium everything and has like 11 skill crews because WG gives every billions of free XP.

Important point for sure, if the AC spam on test wasn't enough, there'd be at least 3-4 shitbarns with the remaining tanks for me usually being mediums with the odd heavy here and there. Test server team compositions made spamming the HESH quite viable, something you wouldn't be able to do on live with 7+ heavies a side in a tier X only game not being uncommon. It wouldn't surprise me if they completely overlooked this while looking at the statistics for it when they decided to nerf it.

Hammerhead20 #11 Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26730 battles

My thoughts about these things?

Simply don't care.

I'm not going to play with these anyway. 

Homer_J #12 Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30437 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostArkarthurer, on 29 January 2019 - 09:56 AM, said:

I thought it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

You really can't tell anything from the test server.  It's likely to be totally different on live, at least after the novelty wears off.

WoT_RU_Doing #13 Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51450 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
They go round and round

arthurwellsley #14 Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52751 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

I played on live server with a rental one. Example rental game on normal server = http://wotreplays.eu...rd_ebr_75_fl_10

There will be the usual influx when they are new for the first few days, then everyone will realise that they are mediocre and they will become less popular.

Ubervold #15 Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21988 battles

Once again they choose to add more questionable content to the game instead of adressing any of the many flaws we have been stuck with for some time now.

My question is, why?

Edited by Ubervold, 29 January 2019 - 06:44 PM.

Balc0ra #16 Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 68661 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostArkarthurer, on 29 January 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

Dear Forumites,

I've been on the Test server recently and have seen wheeled vehicles in action. It certainly brings a new dynamic to the game.

One thing we have learned is that CT always tells a different story vs live. Everyone thought the Foch B would break the game when he came. A few days after it hit live vs a more dynamic range of targets. It was quickly thoght to be underwhelming. Obj 268 4 was a tank not many thought was fine on CT. But a tank that everyone thought was borken once it had been on live for a bit. 

After playing the new tier 8 premium for 71 games on Live. I can tell you that it won't be that bad vs CT. There won't be 6 of them on each team on high tier. Tier 6 might see a flux of them early on. Nor will everyone that plays it play it like that. Drive around at close to 100 and kill everything. It did not take many games after the EBR rental was out to figure out how to counter it. That and most won't have a 6 skilled crew they got via free XP and bond equitment. Most will still have to poor of a view range to be as effective. 

I suspect you might find those tanks annyoing now and then. But not the constant spam most suspect it will be. Tho that said... their HE pen is perfect... to counter lights like the 13 90. So as a French tracked LT player. You should fear them a little indeed.

Alabamatick #17 Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 31849 battles

I mainly played FL on the ct, that didn't have many on it

and i tried 3 Randoms, a few more on there (but not many more), they didn't seem as fast as people said, but are quite difficult to hit while moving

i didn't use any btw

tajj7 #18 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26470 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostFluffyRedFox, on 29 January 2019 - 02:50 PM, said:

Important point for sure, if the AC spam on test wasn't enough, there'd be at least 3-4 shitbarns with the remaining tanks for me usually being mediums with the odd heavy here and there. Test server team compositions made spamming the HESH quite viable, something you wouldn't be able to do on live with 7+ heavies a side in a tier X only game not being uncommon. It wouldn't surprise me if they completely overlooked this while looking at the statistics for it when they decided to nerf it.

Yep, there is a replay on DexGames's channel of an EBR 105 doing about 7k damage on the test server, most of his damage is basically against other EBR 105s or Fv4005s, as they make up like 10 of the enemy team, with a couple of arty as well, it meant there was barely more than about 2 actual armoured tanks in the game, and he managed to get the flank of them when he did damage (including a largely brainless 430U player who just sat side on getting hit repeatedly in the side).

It's much like the tier 10 lights on the common test, their awful pen and pen drop off didn't matter that much because they were mainly shooting at themselves and when they weren't shooting other lights, they were shooting at not very well armoured TDs, and arty. Those seem to be to the kind of things people on common test play, big alpha TDs, arty and whatever new vehicle is arriving.

Add in the general yolo, clueless, carefree way most people play, you have a lot of farming situations, easy damage just presents itself which must then over inflate the performance of these vehicles and hide their glaring weaknesses. (i.e their awful pen, DPM, etc. which will mean they will struggle to do damage against armoured tanks that make up most of tier 10 play)

Dr_Oolen #19 Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22881 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View Posttajj7, on 30 January 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

Yep, there is a replay on DexGames's channel of an EBR 105 doing about 7k damage on the test server, most of his damage is basically against other EBR 105s or Fv4005s, as they make up like 10 of the enemy team, with a couple of arty as well, it meant there was barely more than about 2 actual armoured tanks in the game, and he managed to get the flank of them when he did damage (including a largely brainless 430U player who just sat side on getting hit repeatedly in the side).

It's much like the tier 10 lights on the common test, their awful pen and pen drop off didn't matter that much because they were mainly shooting at themselves and when they weren't shooting other lights, they were shooting at not very well armoured TDs, and arty. Those seem to be to the kind of things people on common test play, big alpha TDs, arty and whatever new vehicle is arriving.

Add in the general yolo, clueless, carefree way most people play, you have a lot of farming situations, easy damage just presents itself which must then over inflate the performance of these vehicles and hide their glaring weaknesses. (i.e their awful pen, DPM, etc. which will mean they will struggle to do damage against armoured tanks that make up most of tier 10 play)

Its not like the "overinflated" stats were even any good in the first place on test. Everyone i checked stats of had 25-60% less combined dmg in wheeled vehicles compared to same tier lights. Not to brag, but out of people i checked, even compared to actual EU unicums who i know tested the things somewhat seriously, i had by far the best stats on the wheeled things (end of test 2, after the first nerfs), and even i had some 15-20% worse combined in them than on my actual light tanks from live.

That said i believe i actually played the things in the way they can be played most efficiently while everyone else was just trying to do the yolo/scouting thing, which is just useless. I simply did the initial spot and then jusst played as a mid/long range support that repositions and is annoying, and only started doing the yolo scouting when most of enemy/my team was dead, so the maps were actually fairly empty. With this gameplay i was getting same dpg as with other same tier lights, but like third or fourth of the spotting, with some 4-5 avg spots per game.

Now i dont remember the numbers exactly anymore, but these days id expect to have/do have, on regular lights, on average:

T7: 1.4-1.6k dmg + 700-900 spotting; or some 2.3k combined

T8: 1.6-2k dmg + 800-1.3k spotting; or some 3k combined

T9: 1.9-2.3k dmg + 1-1.3k spotting; or some 3.3k combined

T10: 2.1-2.7k dmg + 1.2-1.7k spotting; or some 3.8k combined

While on the wheeled shits, all of them 15+ games, i had something like this:

T7: 1.6k + 300 = 1.9k combined = 18% less

T8: 2.1k + 350 = 2.45k combined = 19% less

T9: 2.1k + 450 = 2.55k combined = 23% less

T10: 2.7k + 500 = 3.2k combined = 16% less

So basically i was getting dmg on the high end of same tier lights, but way less spotting and combined some 20% less on average. All the dudes trying to be active scouts were getting 30-60% less combined and were only getting double of my spotting, which still put them at way below average spotting than same tier lights do.

TLDR: the wheeled tanks when played purely for damage have the same combat capacity as lights played "normally" while they have maybe 60-70% spotting capacity when played purely as scouts, compared to regular lights played "normally". Meanwhile if you decide to play your regular lights as pure damage dealers, youll probably have 25-35% more combat capacity than wheeled shits played the same way, and if you go for pure scouting youll have +100% scouting capability compared to wheeled shits played the same way...

TLDR2: i predict every single one of the wheeled vehicles will be in bottom 3 by winrate on their tier after 6 months of them being on live (assuming they wont get buffed before getting on live and will be the same/worse than on test 3). For T10 and T9 i predict lowest overall WR on their tier within said half a year.

Edited by Dr_Oolen, 30 January 2019 - 01:13 PM.

tajj7 #20 Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26470 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDr_Oolen, on 30 January 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

TLDR2: i predict every single one of the wheeled vehicles will be in bottom 3 by winrate on their tier after 6 months of them being on live (assuming they wont get buffed before getting on live and will be the same/worse than on test 3). For T10 and T9 i predict lowest overall WR on their tier within said half a year.

Yep I reckon the same.

The tier 6-8 might be better off because their guns are at least comparable to same tier lights. 

Personally I will probably pick up the premium, mainly for Frontline and leave the rest until they eventually realise they made them too bad and buff them, but then I have 3 tier 10 lights and another unlocked sitting uselessly in my garage waiting for buffs to those vehicles that still haven't happened. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users