So.. How do you make IS-7 work?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

FTR #1 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 14146 battles

I am currently sitting at wonderful 24% winrate in my IS-7 and god it's horrible. My armor just doesn't work regardless what I do. 

- hulldown - they pen my turret, idk. how but I tried exposing turret and they reliably penned the front of my turret next to the gun

- sidescrape - they pen my sides rather easily, I seen a shot mark at the spot where effective armor was about 400 at the very least when I was sidescraping so I have no idea how it's possible

- butt-sidescrape - sides penned again but I am not quite sure how to properly do this one since it's really easy to expose part of your butt by mistake

Not the best gun handling and pen makes it a bit hard to hit weakspots as well, so perhaps I am exposing myself for longer than I should because I am focused on aiming.

I kinda feel like I should be at the front of the battle since it's X heavy, but then again the armor just doesn't work.

SABAOTH #2 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostFTR, on 29 January 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

I am currently sitting at wonderful 24% winrate in my IS-7 and god it's horrible. My armor just doesn't work regardless what I do. 

- hulldown - they pen my turret, idk. how but I tried exposing turret and they reliably penned the front of my turret next to the gun

- sidescrape - they pen my sides rather easily, I seen a shot mark at the spot where effective armor was about 400 at the very least when I was sidescraping so I have no idea how it's possible

- butt-sidescrape - sides penned again but I am not quite sure how to properly do this one since it's really easy to expose part of your butt by mistake

Not the best gun handling and pen makes it a bit hard to hit weakspots as well, so perhaps I am exposing myself for longer than I should because I am focused on aiming.

I kinda feel like I should be at the front of the battle since it's X heavy, but then again the armor just doesn't work.

The IS 7 is pretty stronk in the turret, do you have some screenshot or replay?

By the way everything is possible due to the miracles of gold spam :honoring::coin:

Edited by SABAOTH, 29 January 2019 - 11:41 PM.

DarkPacifist #3 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29030 battles
  • [CR0WS] CR0WS

There is one spot on the turret that can be pened by 330+ heat shells, but that is a little weak spot that you can't hit if the is7 is moving backward and forward.

Sidescrapping in an is7 is tricky to handle,as your front hull is a peak. Sidescrapping make one plate thiner, thus the best is to hide the lower plate and face your opponents frontally (in the best scenario that is to say). I haven't tryed reversed sidescrap though so I don't know if it works well.

Discontinued #4 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3644 battles

Also it suffers from the fact that being so numerous at tier 10 most of its weak spots are known by nearly all of the experienced players. also you can get bad times when there are a lot of inexperienced players online

As you are aware, Tier 10 can sometimes be a horrible roller coaster . you can get strings of losses, then a handful of wins, and then crazy runs of wins form nowhere without getting a chance to even contribute. I find it best to go full noob and equip copious amounts of gold and food as well as the large repairs etc etc purple equipment

also equip the most disgusting cammo available as im sure it helps distract enemies and convinces noobs that you are in some kind of pro clan its also known to add an extra layer of Stalinium armour to any Russian tank!

I find it best to literally play the same tank tier 10 all day and it usually levels out. But its costly I spent around 7 million so far at 177 games or so..:)

And that is why the lord RnJezus invested the Fort Knox package 

you can either try to soldier on and hope to master it but i would initially play it to death and something will click, dont glance at stats to often, 

I've had tanks that had pooh pooh stats until I hit 200 battles !

Edited by Discontinued, 30 January 2019 - 12:32 AM.

NoobySkooby #5 Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:09 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15779 battles
  • [DENK] DENK

Load the gold, yolo and don't forget to angle:trollface:

TankkiPoju #6 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21640 battles

330mm+ HEATs like from E100 have a decent chance of penning IS7s turret, right next to the gun mantlet on either side.

Don't sit still in hulldown IS7.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 30 January 2019 - 10:10 AM.

Bradders8 #7 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7822 battles

Hulldown to anything except dirty fat sumo tanks or FV hesh dispensers is as close to being safe as you are going to get I'm afraid. (pixel sized weakspot as people have said but don't sit perfectly still until time to shoot.)

Do not sidescrape- front hull section becomes a massive weakspot due to pike nose.

Reverse sidescraping works but as you said be careful not to expose your arse.

If you are in a 1 on 1  you can rush in and face hug the enemy tank. Most people panic and you are very difficult to pen if you stay straight flush to him.

PRESS 2 key.  300mm of pen is JUST useable against stuff like Type 5s. I basically fire APCR exclusively and I'm not even ashamed to say it with this tank :great:

Oldewolfe #8 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 513 battles

https://youtu.be/zrewo-YhJI0

https://youtu.be/pppKA6A7vzI

https://youtu.be/nbUhvuZen3w

https://youtu.be/x2radq6Q46U

https://youtu.be/ONClec1l8zI

https://youtu.be/tYzi1WqByno

https://youtu.be/3jc5i-NShMU

Just a few Ideas from a Non IS7 Driver....     lol.         This is just some of the more Recent Games....

It does far Better Up Close than at Range, but it will work there too, just less Often....      

pecopad #9 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25376 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

Hull down and side scrape with so many Types in the game, that is a thing of the past...

Grinding the Japanese heavy line (if you can't beat them join them) and I can tell you, I love those soviet heavies the most. Specially love the ones with a turret in the back, they are like ice cream trucks to all Japanese Heavy drivers...

You grinded the wrong tank for this meta.

Edited by pecopad, 30 January 2019 - 11:38 AM.

Bradders8 #10 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7822 battles

View Postpecopad, on 30 January 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

Hull down and side scrape with so many Types in the game, that is a thing of the past...

Grinding the Japanese heavy line (if you can't beat them join them) and I can tell you, I love those soviet heavies the most. Specially love the ones with a turret in the back, they are like ice cream trucks to all Japanese Heavy drivers...

IS7 is still a meta tank even after all this time. Not as meta as 277 or 5A but still useable.

WG have already said they are removing the Jap derp guns. Then the IS7 will be even stronger hull down again and you will have ground that rank line for sweet F A.

HassenderZerhacker #11 Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29071 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

still figuring out that one myself.

I sat at 32% WR for the first 40 battles or so.

what I found out so far:

first, going to fight like a stronk tenk at close range at house corners, sidescraping etc. doesn't work well. IS-7 has too bad hull weakspots for that.

IS-7 AP pen is weak, and even with APCR you will struggle to pen a VK 72.01 from the front except if you use a fraudulent weakspot aimbot.

The pityful 250 pen also doesn't work against Type 5, and vs. Type 4 it's 50-50 when correctly aimed.
also forget about shooting hull down soviet meds, conq turrets or

arty loves IS-7, you have to stick to arty safe spots as long as there is more than one arty in the battle.

deathstars and HE-crappers love the IS-7, so if you see Type 5 (even Type 4), FV deathstars etc. avoid them.

another letdown is the long aiming time, obviously made for short range and close combat. sniping doesn't work, unless you have ample time to aim in.

and finally, the long reload is a death sentence in any situation where you find yourself isolated from your team. if you are the last survivor of your flank, retreat.

what works from the perspective of my limited experience so far:

1- IS-7 works as a wolf pack tank. go where other heavies (or meds in some cases) go and attack at the same time. you will receive a lot of badly aimed enemy shots of which many will bounce while you will do damage.

2- as a close range support / flanker. either stay hidden just behind heavily armored tanks and pop out to shoot, or find a closeby flanking position (cities) to do the same. help protecting your team's sumo tanks.

3- forget about sidescraping. best angle to work a wall corner in an IS-7 is to drive straight out, perpendicular to the shooting direction.

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 30 January 2019 - 02:02 PM.

FTR #12 Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 14146 battles

View PostDiscontinued, on 30 January 2019 - 12:27 AM, said:

As you are aware, Tier 10 can sometimes be a horrible roller coaster . you can get strings of losses, then a handful of wins, and then crazy runs of wins form nowhere without getting a chance to even contribute. I find it best to go full noob and equip copious amounts of gold and food as well as the large repairs etc etc purple equipment

also equip the most disgusting cammo available as im sure it helps distract enemies and convinces noobs that you are in some kind of pro clan its also known to add an extra layer of Stalinium armour to any Russian tank!

Yeah I don't usually play on tier X because it's too expensive, I tend to stay on tier 9 maximum.

View PostTankkiPoju, on 30 January 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

330mm+ HEATs like from E100 have a decent chance of penning IS7s turret, right next to the gun mantlet on either side.

Don't sit still in hulldown IS7.

Yes it was actually E100 that penned my turret. Lesson learned then, some tanks can pen IS-7 turret.

View PostOldewolfe, on 30 January 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

https://youtu.be/zrewo-YhJI0

https://youtu.be/pppKA6A7vzI

https://youtu.be/nbUhvuZen3w

https://youtu.be/x2radq6Q46U

https://youtu.be/ONClec1l8zI

https://youtu.be/tYzi1WqByno

https://youtu.be/3jc5i-NShMU

Just a few Ideas from a Non IS7 Driver....     lol.         This is just some of the more Recent Games....

It does far Better Up Close than at Range, but it will work there too, just less Often....      

Gonna watch them all, thanks. :D

View Postpecopad, on 30 January 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

I actually grinded and bought IS-7 few years ago but quit games shortly after so never got chance to actually use it. :P

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 30 January 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

still figuring out that one myself.

I sat at 32% WR for the first 40 battles or so.

what I found out so far:

first, going to fight like a stronk tenk at close range at house corners, sidescraping etc. doesn't work well. IS-7 has too bad hull weakspots for that.

IS-7 AP pen is weak, and even with APCR you will struggle to pen a VK 72.01 from the front except if you use a fraudulent weakspot aimbot.

The pityful 250 pen also doesn't work against Type 5, and vs. Type 4 it's 50-50 when correctly aimed.
also forget about shooting hull down soviet meds, conq turrets or

arty loves IS-7, you have to stick to arty safe spots as long as there is more than one arty in the battle.

deathstars and HE-crappers love the IS-7, so if you see Type 5 (even Type 4), FV deathstars etc. avoid them.

another letdown is the long aiming time, obviously made for short range and close combat. sniping doesn't work, unless you have ample time to aim in.

and finally, the long reload is a death sentence in any situation where you find yourself isolated from your team. if you are the last survivor of your flank, retreat.

what works from the perspective of my limited experience so far:

1- IS-7 works as a wolf pack tank. go where other heavies (or meds in some cases) go and attack at the same time. you will receive a lot of badly aimed enemy shots of which many will bounce while you will do damage.

2- as a close range support / flanker. either stay hidden just behind heavily armored tanks and pop out to shoot, or find a closeby flanking position (cities) to do the same. help protecting your team's sumo tanks.

3- forget about sidescraping. best angle to work a wall corner in an IS-7 is to drive straight out, perpendicular to the shooting direction.

All great tips, definitely watching out for tanks you listed+ tanks that can potentially pen your turret is something to keep in mind. I am definitely too agressive in my IS-7 because I don't really many tanks that can brawl and I thought IS-7 is one of such, so I wanted to try different playstyles.

Oldewolfe #13 Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 513 battles

Whoops...    Last 2 are for a Different Post, my Apologize....      I had a couple others that didn't take, I'll Track them Down....

Here's one of them I Missed...

https://youtu.be/u6d9YC3pexA

Edited by Oldewolfe, 30 January 2019 - 04:37 PM.

BR33K1_PAWAH #14 Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4947 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
You angle.
15:59 Added after 0 minutes
And spam gold.

SuNo_TeSLa #15 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 39468 battles
  • [SWEPH] SWEPH
One of the main concerns of the IS-7 (as well as alot of other russian tanks for that matter) is to elevation-wise stay above the enemy, you can't for example let taller tanks shoot down on your armor. Keep above and you'll be fine :)

HassenderZerhacker #16 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29071 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostSuNo_TeSLa, on 30 January 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

One of the main concerns of the IS-7 (as well as alot of other russian tanks for that matter) is to elevation-wise stay above the enemy, you can't for example let taller tanks shoot down on your armor. Keep above and you'll be fine :)

yeah, and at the same time you have something like 6° gun depression...

MeNoobTank #17 Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13662 battles
  • [GT_WC] GT_WC

When I got my IS-7 first I had very very bad games in it for 2 reasons:

1) I come from T-10 which was nothing like IS-7 in terms of playstyle

2) I had a pretty bad crew with no skills in it because my previous crew I keept in T-10

After I got used to the playstyle and got a better crew I managed to do better but still not amazing as you can see from my stats with IS-7. The first problem I encounter with it is the gun which compared with T-10 has kinda everything worse except for alpha. T-10 gun was kind of a sniper gun but on IS-7 is more of a RNG boomstick. Also with bad crew IS-7 feelt very slow, but after some crew skills and perks (BIA , smooth ride etc) feels way better. 

The best play with is-7 is to use the good speed for taking fast good hull down positions without exposing the frontal cheeks (the V shape) which I found that are pretty weak against tier 10 tanks with over 250+ pen. That means you need to always encounter your enemies frontally not in sidescraping positions with the lower plate hidden.

Sfinski #18 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

Major

• Player
  • 33437 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 30 January 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

yeah, and at the same time you have something like 6° gun depression...

Which is plenty tbh...

Oldewolfe #19 Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 513 battles

Well, for some of those Videos I put up there, the Older ones, I was using my T-10 Crew and a Loader from my IS....      I didn't bother Retraining them at the time because of the Changes that were coming to the IS Line, so I just Chucked them in there and Drove it.....       The Newer ones are the IS7's own Dedicated Crew with No Skills basically....     No BiA, no 6th Sense, no Sit Aware, just Repairs I think it was.....

The Tank can handle just Fine regardless of the Crew if you as the Operator pay attention to what you're doing.....      It's a Very Underrated Tank, much like the E100....

TheDrownedApe #20 Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 46127 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

just had this game earlier, yes it was T8 but it shows what the IS-7 can do when not played as a heavy (ish)

http://wotreplays.eu...drownedape-is-7

You can play it one of two ways, aggressive if the tanks you are facing are not really troublesome. Or defensive is you need to be, just remember it's an awful tank for side scrapping frontally due to high pens on your UFP which can ammo rack you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users