Have you ever considered why he/she is bad?

for once serious toxicity

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

SABAOTH #1 Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

I might approach rarely topics seriously, however the level of toxicity, report abuse and various nasty stuff in World of Tanks are a bit annoying, expecially when addressed to poor players.

I wonder if you ever consider why a given player is so bad, so what factors come into play?

There is the human factor:

• Lack of skill in using gun, terrain, armor
  • Lack of knowledge about positions, concealment

That's pretty much it when it comes to "player's faults"

But then there are reasons that are seldom considered and imho set apart the players that are hopeless from those that perform bad but try hard.

Few examples:

• Low fps: it's really a handicap to play with low fps and will drastically impact performances
  • Poor graphics (sort of related): bad rendering of the terrain will trick you in shooting a visible tank just to hit an invisible wall, draw distance reduced will make it impossible to blidshot bushes from safety even if you know there got to be someone in some bush, understanding the terrain layout is also more difficult
  • High ping: you will never ever win a quick draw fight, your shot will always be the slowest and this counts on survival
  • Lag spikes: I am a decent player but with yesterday had my wifi going full Siema with random lag spikes, that alone results in a 750 WN8 drop. You see often tanks that could get the same, expecially if they are inexperienced that is fatal for the match

So when you get annoyed by someone before getting salty try to separate if it's really because of bad decision making and bad attitude, or if there might be other reasons for poor performances.

Do what you want of this, it's just my 2 cents consideration that we might all need to relax a bit and be more comrades even with tomatoes. :coin:

Baldrickk #2 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31426 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
That's why there is a difference between a newb and a n00b.
The newb can be excused for not having learned everything yet.

As for technical issues, I wouldn't play a game that presented itself as a slideshow.  
I was able to get good enough frame rates on a pentium 4 with a 9600gt, albeit with minimum settings* (but none of the mods to improve it further)

The * is because I kept texture quality and render range maxed.
There is literally no reason not to.

Likewise with fps, if my internet was consistently terrible, I wouldn't be playing either.
The worst I had it was when working away from home for two years.  The entire town's internet went slow at peak times, and I just had to play around that.

It gave rise to big ping spikes, where it would be stuck at 999 for multiple seconds.

My record is 3 kills without a screen update.  iirc it was 2xELC and 1xPz38nA on El Hallouf.

I recently started a NA account, and despite my ping being 5x what it is to EU, I'm doing alright so far.

Jumping_Turtle #3 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:08 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 64595 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

It can be so many reasons why people play badly.

A few days ago we had a good player (blue stats and 8k WGR) and he was driving into rocks, houses and basicly did not much all battle. So a few asked what he was doing and at the end of the battle, which we won by the way, came the answer. 'Sorry for bad gameplay, but this is my 5 year old son playing on my acount' he told us ...

And this is only one example. I sometimes do pretty stupid things also and die withn one minute, some people just dont care, some people are just bad and lack skill, some dont want to take the time to watch youtube videos on how to get better, it can be so many reason why people play like they do.

Homer_J #4 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30437 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

If the entire playerbase got gud overnight then there would still be above average, average and below average players.  We can't all be unicum all the time.

Is bad all that bad?  How much worse would it be if there were people playing with no interest in computer games or tanks?  If all the candy crush players came over to WoT?

arthurwellsley #5 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:13 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52751 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
Could add that the players brain is quite capable of working out what to do and when, but due to old age, the reaction time of the hands is not what it was when the player was a younger person.

TheJumpMaster #6 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 49126 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
One must remember that a person's approach to the game will directly affect the player's skill level. As I've said many times, I spent the first 10k-15k jumping into a tank going pew-pew then moving on to the next tank. This led to a WN8 of under 600 and a WR of +-45%. I've managed to learn how to play better, but this is an example of of why some people are "bad" players.

xtrem3x #7 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33849 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View PostSABAOTH, on 30 January 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

I might approach rarely topics seriously, however the level of toxicity, report abuse and various nasty stuff in World of Tanks are a bit annoying, expecially when addressed to poor players.

I wonder if you ever consider why a given player is so bad, so what factors come into play?

That's pretty much it when it comes to "player's faults"

But then there are reasons that are seldom considered and imho set apart the players that are hopeless from those that perform bad but try hard.

Few examples:

• Low fps: it's really a handicap to play with low fps and will drastically impact performances
  • Poor graphics (sort of related): bad rendering of the terrain will trick you in shooting a visible tank just to hit an invisible wall, draw distance reduced will make it impossible to blidshot bushes from safety even if you know there got to be someone in some bush, understanding the terrain layout is also more difficult
  • High ping: you will never ever win a quick draw fight, your shot will always be the slowest and this counts on survival
  • Lag spikes: I am a decent player but with yesterday had my wifi going full Siema with random lag spikes, that alone results in a 750 WN8 drop. You see often tanks that could get the same, expecially if they are inexperienced that is fatal for the match

So when you get annoyed by someone before getting salty try to separate if it's really because of bad decision making and bad attitude, or if there might be other reasons for poor performances.

Do what you want of this, it's just my 2 cents consideration that we might all need to relax a bit and be more comrades even with tomatoes. :coin:

After doing the same thing 20,000 - 30,000 times you would think they would learn these things..?

When I recruit somebody at work they get 2 weeks training... Imagine an employee not understanding something after doing it 30,000 times

It boggles my mind :amazed:

Element6 #8 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30626 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
The knowledge of the game is something that manifests itself over many battles, but on an individual battle level a player might be seen as bad simply because he has horrendous accuracy and/or penetration RNG in that particular battle that you see him. We all get those battles every now and then where we miss 9 aimed shots that are somewhat crucial in the beginning of the battle, and after it is apparent that your team will lose you get 6 shots in a row that snipes the cupola of enemy tanks while you try to run away from a swarm of enemies trying to get you, which are totally pointless.

xtrem3x #9 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33849 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

Potato PC, it's 100% the players fault if they try and play PC games on old PCs and laptops that are clearly out of date.

This game runs on 10 year old hardware at 60fps so people really have no excuse. I am completely within my right to be annoyed with people if they ruin the game for the rest of the team because they decide to play on ancient machines that should really be in the bin,

TheJumpMaster #10 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 49126 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postxtrem3x, on 30 January 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

After doing the same thing 20,000 - 30,000 times you would think they would learn these things..?

When I recruit somebody at work they get 2 weeks training... Imagine an employee not understanding something after doing it 30,000 times

It boggles my mind :amazed:

A job and an arcade game are two completely different things, and would hope that people know the difference. If not, you could always make that employee a loader and reduce his effect :P

Edited by TheJumpMaster, 30 January 2019 - 09:39 AM.

tajj7 #11 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26470 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

If their PC/Internet is so potato they can't play this game, that is entirely their fault. Part of PC gaming is having the correct rig for the games you play. 

it's like expecting to be able to play football in flip fops. 

xtrem3x #12 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33849 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 30 January 2019 - 08:35 AM, said:

A job and an arcade game are two completely different things, and would hope that people know the difference. If not, you could always make that employee an loader and reduce his affect :P

Lack of knowledge about positioning or how to use the map is not the same as playing an arcade game. They are thought processes and are learned over time. It shouldn't take 30,000 battles or more to learn these things

Edited by xtrem3x, 30 January 2019 - 09:37 AM.

Spartan_93 #13 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23947 battles
  • [-IDC-] -IDC-

Low FPS is no reason. Even my nearly 7 years old PC can handle this game with 100+ FPs. You just need to lower your graphic settings and you get more FPS. If your PC can not handle this game on low setting with acceptable FPS you should get a new one.

High Ping. Well, if your internet is really that bad, you're just unable to play online games. Or your family/house mates ... have to stop downloading stuff, watching videos or streaming something.

Dramya #14 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 13112 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

Some people lack experience, map-knowledge or skill, but those are thing that can be learned. A person of decent intelligence and who has a bit of a feel for games will learn along the way. That way in World of Tanks is long, they will not learn the finesse in the first 10k battles they play and during the first 5k battles they will generally suck. I have played almost 14k battles and I'm still maybe a bit over average.

Most people however lack a functional brain that is capable of making smart decisions (or any decision for that matter). They will not reflect on their previous game; what went wrong and what they could have done better. There are a lot of plain dumb people on this world, more so than intelligent people, and the player base of World of Tanks also reflects that.

Long_Range_Sniper #15 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

General

• Player
  • 34358 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Call me old fashioned, but I've always seen this as a team game, and reflecting on how you contribute to the team is part of the game. 

TheJumpMaster #16 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 49126 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postxtrem3x, on 30 January 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

Lack of knowledge about positioning or how to use the map is not the same as playing an arcade game. They are thought processes and are learned over time. It shouldn't take 30,000 battles or more to learn these things

As I've mentioned above, it depends on the persons approach to the game.

Dramya #17 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

Private

• Player
  • 13112 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 30 January 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

Call me old fashioned, but I've always seen this as a team game, and reflecting on how you contribute to the team is part of the game. 

Sadly if you are the only one with this mentality in the team all will not go well. I have learned the hard way to not trust team members to have my back, I reserve that for skirmishes with clan members

Element6 #18 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30626 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postxtrem3x, on 30 January 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

It will if the player is not having the same motivation as for example pleasing an employer that pays his wages. But I agree, it shouldn't take 30.000 battles if the player's mentality is to get as good as he can during that period, but that is not likely to be the case with a large number of players.

"I want to go zooooom in a fast tank, I want to go booom in a monster gun tank, I want to be invisible in a camo tank and I want to be invincible in a rolling fortress" is a very different thing than "I want to learn the nuances of each class and play them to their utmost potential while honing my skills".

If WoT players got paid by their effectiveness we would probably see a very different game. Reality is that the game is merely here to entertain people, and perception of entertainment is not the same for all.

LordMuffin #19 Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49210 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
A reason why players are bad could also be.
Lack of effort into learning.
Not wanting to improve.
Not realising how good/bad one is.

signal11th #20 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39462 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
No because 90% of those reasons are players own fault and stuff they can do something about. I want to understand what makes people good at the game as that's useful, understanding why people are bad at the game doesn't teach me anything I don't all ready know.

Also tagged with for, once, serious, toxicity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users