Have you ever considered why he/she is bad?

for once serious toxicity

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

SABAOTH #21 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostDramya, on 30 January 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

Sadly if you are the only one with this mentality in the team all will not go well. I have learned the hard way to not trust team members to have my back, I reserve that for skirmishes with clan members

It's part of the problem however. Sure you can get some shot in the back from poor players, but most of times they do support you (just don't expect any skill shots, keep it realistic to your team's ability)
09:07 Added after 3 minutes

View PostElement6, on 30 January 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

It will if the player is not having the same motivation as for example pleasing an employer that pays his wages. But I agree, it shouldn't take 30.000 battles if the player's mentality is to get as good as he can during that period, but that is not likely to be the case with a large number of players.

"I want to go zooooom in a fast tank, I want to go booom in a monster gun tank, I want to be invisible in a camo tank and I want to be invincible in a rolling fortress" is a very different thing than "I want to learn the nuances of each class and play them to their utmost potential while honing my skills".

If WoT players got paid by their effectiveness we would probably see a very different game. Reality is that the game is merely here to entertain people, and perception of entertainment is not the same for all.

As an employer myself I noticed effects on employees of harsh critics:

• Some people take it with pride and they get better
  • Some other people gets in a vicious loop feeling defeated and getting even worse

So it's subjective reaction, however we do have our fair share of harsh critics (or even insults) in the game, but very rarely some "soft skills" of encouraging and positive approach.

Both could work on different people, but the second is very rare.

captainpigg #22 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32820 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

View PostSABAOTH, on 30 January 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

I might approach rarely topics seriously, however the level of toxicity, report abuse and various nasty stuff in World of Tanks are a bit annoying, expecially when addressed to poor players.

I wonder if you ever consider why a given player is so bad, so what factors come into play?

There is the human factor:

• Lack of skill in using gun, terrain, armor
  • Lack of knowledge about positions, concealment

That's pretty much it when it comes to "player's faults"

But then there are reasons that are seldom considered and imho set apart the players that are hopeless from those that perform bad but try hard.

Few examples:

• Low fps: it's really a handicap to play with low fps and will drastically impact performances
  • Poor graphics (sort of related): bad rendering of the terrain will trick you in shooting a visible tank just to hit an invisible wall, draw distance reduced will make it impossible to blidshot bushes from safety even if you know there got to be someone in some bush, understanding the terrain layout is also more difficult
  • High ping: you will never ever win a quick draw fight, your shot will always be the slowest and this counts on survival
  • Lag spikes: I am a decent player but with yesterday had my wifi going full Siema with random lag spikes, that alone results in a 750 WN8 drop. You see often tanks that could get the same, expecially if they are inexperienced that is fatal for the match

So when you get annoyed by someone before getting salty try to separate if it's really because of bad decision making and bad attitude, or if there might be other reasons for poor performances.

Do what you want of this, it's just my 2 cents consideration that we might all need to relax a bit and be more comrades even with tomatoes. :coin:

I play at around 30-40fps at 720p with minimal graphics and 200-230ms ping. I have a 53% wr, you can get around a bad computer and internet, you can't get around being an idiot.

SABAOTH #23 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View Postcaptainpigg, on 30 January 2019 - 10:07 AM, said:

I play at around 30-40fps at 720p with minimal graphics and 200-230ms ping. I have a 53% wr, you can get around a bad computer and internet, you can't get around being an idiot.

I used to play under 10 fps. Changed to 20 and got much better, now it's 70 - 80 and got blue.

Very few players can be considered "idiot", usually to classify they need to have several thousands of battles and poor performance in everything due mainly to consistent mistakes (e.g. 45k games --> Overlord --> Beach).

In your case if you would play light tanks with your setting you will perform worse than other class like Tank destroyers or heavies, but should you get better equipment you would probably do well.

Thatt's possibly one of the reason for the popularity of HT, TD, SPG, you can do far better than MT or LT as they are more forgiving (with exceptions)

Evilier_than_Skeletor #24 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19315 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP

View PostDramya, on 30 January 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

Most people however lack a functional brain that is capable of making smart decisions (or any decision for that matter). They will not reflect on their previous game; what went wrong and what they could have done better. There are a lot of plain dumb people on this world, more so than intelligent people, and the player base of World of Tanks also reflects that.

Are you seriously suggesting it takes an intelligent person to play tanks? What's your take on a thread a while back, where a number of unicums said they don't really think while playing? They just go shoot tanks.

jack_timber #25 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

Major

• Player
  • 37540 battles

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 30 January 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

As I've mentioned above, it depends on the persons approach to the game.

Spot on Jumpmaster...

Some just play for the 'fun', win or loose, they just want a tank shooter game. Yes I know some will have a hard time understanding how someone can enjoy a game when they loose.

Others treat this as a serious game where the win is the pinnacle that must be achieved at all cost even to the detriment of the 'fun' element.

And then some are in between these two bands of players.

Take your pick as to where you fit....

DeadLecter #26 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29943 battles

I play on i3 4170 with 750 ti and I think that is even less than the bare minimum requirement for today's games and I still get a consistent 60 FPS on high settings. I also have a ping over 100 and lag spikes too. None of these justify why someone is bad.

As for the skill level, as the first guy said this is why we have the terms noob and newb. Most of these bad players have over 10000 battles and if that is not enough to understand the game, then the problem is not anything but the creature sitting in the chair because one identifying feature of humans is the ability to learn and if you are not capable of learning even the most obvious things after doing the same thing thousands of times, I don't think that thing deservers to be called human. That is a legit bot.

Dramya #27 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13937 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 30 January 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

Are you seriously suggesting it takes an intelligent person to play tanks? What's your take on a thread a while back, where a number of unicums said they don't really think while playing? They just go shoot tanks.

Of course they are intelligent people, they have had to master this game to a very high degree and that does not *only* take time and effort. The fact that they have played this game so often that it has become second nature is the reason they do not have to actively think to make smart decisions, they just make them.

I am merely pointing out the correlation to the amount of dumb people on the planet and the amount of dumb people playing tanks. It doesn't take intelligence to play tank, but it does at least take a bit of intelligence to play tanks well consistently.

tajj7 #28 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27258 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostSABAOTH, on 30 January 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

Very few players can be considered "idiot"

A very large proportion of the playerbase can be classed as this IMO. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #29 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 53201 battles
  • [OBY] OBY

Nope, never really cared about how or why people are doing stuff in WOT.

@OP Just an advice about creating those kinds of threads, DON'T!

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 30 January 2019 - 11:03 AM.

Leepants #30 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:14 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19052 battles
  • [ZIIP] ZIIP

View Postxtrem3x, on 30 January 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

Lack of knowledge about positioning or how to use the map is not the same as playing an arcade game. They are thought processes and are learned over time. It shouldn't take 30,000 battles or more to learn these things

This is what I'm guilty of - using a route / position that I "know", so kind of keep doing it. I don't really know a "quick" way to learn good positions apart from making the mistakes and having to try different positions, thus likely leading to more mistakes. Trying to learn from them isn't a quick thing for me as it's then trial and error. 

Element6 #31 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30854 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLeepants, on 30 January 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

This is what I'm guilty of - using a route / position that I "know", so kind of keep doing it. I don't really know a "quick" way to learn good positions apart from making the mistakes and having to try different positions, thus likely leading to more mistakes. Trying to learn from them isn't a quick thing for me as it's then trial and error. 

Well, you shouldn't really feel guilty. Let's say you get on map X once every 20 battles, and then you get this map once in each class, so that it takes 100 battles before you have had one battle on it in all the classes. You can't learn that map quickly for each class when things are like this, and then to top it off maybe you had one battle in an MT and went to one location on the map and it worked great, then the next time you are on this map in an MT you go to the same location and it works out badly because the enemy team then deployed very differently, so what worked in the last battle didn't work at all in this battle.

It is going to take quite a while to get familiar with all maps, for all classes, when things stack up like this.

iztok #32 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Hi!

> Have you ever considered why he/she is bad?

90% of the time it's evident from the way he /she /it? plays. And no, me playing only in randoms, I stopped considering other players long time ago.

BR,  Iztok

Wintermute_1 #33 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47924 battles

If you leave your tank afk every game you can still expect a win rate in the mid 40s, higher perhaps under 3/5/7 where its an inactive bottom tier tank most of the time. Players with win rates below the mid 40s are actively hindering their team mates ability to play. They do stuff like camping TD spots in lights preventing the TDs from using them, rolling up behind a heavy during a brawl preventing it from backing up into cover, sitting directly behind a passive scouting tank and firing at the enemy, tracking and damaging their own team mates etc etc

It doesn't take much to learn how to play better than an afk tank regardless of your ability or PC spec.

iztok #34 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

Watching and analyzing replays for the tank you'd like to master can help immensely, esp. when playing at 2x normal speed.

thestaggy #35 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17089 battles

There is no hardware or infrastructure excuse for going in to the valley, on to the beach or otherwise occupying strategically insignificant parts of the map.

Me, I play with ~200 ping and can manage 2000 - 2400 recents. With that ping I can also lead and hit tanks driving at speed.

Hardware and infrastructure while being limiting, do not stop you from adapting and learning.

Baldrickk #36 Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31993 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I think we all do that.

I certainly do.  Then I try going somewhere different and do less well because I don't play that position often.

This is where watching others, be it after death in battle,  watching replays, streams, YouTube videos etc is often recommended, as it  provides an opportunity for you to observe a position and how it should be played, via another player's experience, instead of having to try and learn it from scratch. 

I'd go so far as to suggest that there is some level of skill in this too, as to identify why they make the decisions they do is really the most key.

Once you know what caused them to make that choice,  you can recognise similar events in your own battles and react more effectively. 

My best battles are the ones where I don't just go to my usual positions, but react more effectively to the flow of the battle. 

My first statement about my going somewhere new and fail to do well? That's usually because I'm not reading the battle effectively. 

When I do have good games where I am reading the battle well,  I get less bogged down in the specific tactics and features of a map location. I will just resort to doing the basics well and having good games because of that.

On the face of it, this can appear boring:

http://wotreplays.eu...a-baldrickk-t67 my most recent replay upload is a good example of this. 

I don't do anything spectacular. My tank isn't pimped out, I have a rammer, binocs and net, and a green crew with about 50% camo skill.

Watching the battle,  you'll see that I essentially move to three different locations, and each one is because of where I think allies and enemies will be.

You can watch the replay and just go "oh he just sat in a bush and got to shoot people"

If you can watch it and think about "Why that bush" then there is an opportunity to learn. 

For this reason,  I recommend Zeven on YouTube. 

Watch through some of his replay analysis videos,  he does a good job of saying what would have been effective moves, but more importantly,  why. 

Enforcer1975 #37 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 21406 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View Postxtrem3x, on 30 January 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

• Low fps: it's really a handicap to play with low fps and will drastically impact performances
  • Poor graphics (sort of related): bad rendering of the terrain will trick you in shooting a visible tank just to hit an invisible wall, draw distance reduced will make it impossible to blidshot bushes from safety even if you know there got to be someone in some bush, understanding the terrain layout is also more difficult

Potato PC, it's 100% the players fault if they try and play PC games on old PCs and laptops that are clearly out of date.

This game runs on 10 year old hardware at 60fps so people really have no excuse. I am completely within my right to be annoyed with people if they ruin the game for the rest of the team because they decide to play on ancient machines that should really be in the bin,

There are players playing on potato PCs that aren't even 1 year old...just saying. But either way you are right. Don't expect to be able to play today's games with decent fps on hardware that was budget pc'ish already when you bought it. 

barison1 #38 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41679 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

to me there is a massive difference between a newbie(which plays bad as most would expect) and a guy with 50k games which still plays as bad as the average newbie at 1k games. every newbie needs time to learn the game and will slowly improve over time, which is fine. but if a guy with 50k games still plays absolute horrible and then also starts blaming others for his defeat then im sorry but he kinda deserves toxicity for it

i had a somewhat potato pc aswell when i started this game, think for some 2 years. didnt stop me much from improving. big part in improving is to ask yourself "what could i have done better"

Edited by barison1, 30 January 2019 - 12:05 PM.

OMG_Abaddon #39 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11789 battles
  • [BDCP] BDCP

View PostSABAOTH, on 30 January 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

Have you ever considered why he/she is bad?

Yes I have, I was a tomato once so I can tell:

1. craptanks. See the mindset of the average population, when it comes to a MOBA for example you choose a hero, buy it, play it, then grind the game for more coins to by another one you like. This game puts the tank you like behind a wall of 7 tanks with horrible stock grinds where players are simply not interested, they try to waste as little time as possible, play the few tanks they like well and just RR with the ones they don't like but have to grind until the one they like is ready again. I did it myself when I bought the Rudy it was so far superior to any other tank... crew with 100% and skills, the tank was FUN to play, unlike that crap Matilda that took forever to get anywhere. Some people just tab out while the game runs and watch videos because it's a genuine waste of time for a new player to try and defeat people 2 tiers above 90% of the games on a gimped tank, when you have a barebone crap tank and payers have gold ammo, camo, binocs, vents, 100% crews with skills and a paintjob. Literally can't even see them if I play fair, so yeah let them come.

2. Boring matchmaking. The fact that you are bottom tier all the time is pretty demoralizing. Some people solve it by paying for that extra power, i.e. gold ammo to pen 2 tiers above, those who can't afford it just suicide and hope the next game is better. The game encourages kamikaze tactics if the user doesn't want to pay real money basically. Every successful PVP game is embraced due to their fairness, as soon as something is broken it's fixed so everyone can play on even ground, when they don't... well, players abuse the broken stuff and bring more and more people to the forums to complain, which eventually has a response, but WG seems to be rather slow at this.

3. Nobody cares about stats in non-competitive modes. People use XVM here for whatever reason and WN8 and a lot of that garbage, but the truth is nobody cares about competitive stats in non-competitive environments, they play for fun. Even less when the system is rigged to tell the strongest players only spam gold in sealclubber tanks, use chocolate all the time because they can afford to waste 80k credits for a little performace boost every round. It's not that those players are bad at all, on the contrary after so many seal clubbing games they probably learned how to pilot the tank like gods, which also adds on top of the pay2win stuff.

4. There's literally no competition. You can't play ranked matches until Tier 10, and even then you have to join a clan who wants to bring you along. A free player can't play anything beyond T7 because it's a credit dumpster, which is why I still don't have T10 tanks also (even with premium account now). You simply can't play the competitive mode and are gated out of all competitive rewards, no improved equipment, no cool tanks for you either, can't even gather bonds at a decent rate to have the same level of upgrades as other players, so at least make sure you don't get into MM with T10 tanks that have this kind of BS. So with no need for competition comes no need to perform well as long as you're here to have fun.

etc. etc.

SaintMaddenus #40 Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 36784 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"I spent the first 10k-15k jumping into a tank going pew-pew then moving on to the next tank"

I still have that bad habit.   when I am jumping around my loss rate is much higher than when I focus on one tank and play 5 battles in that on most occasions,  sometimes, though, you just can't get the team to carry you in 5 battles.

we've all had that loss at 1.5k damage at T4 to go on and win the next and do 0 at some point.  Usually that's where we just used our x2 exp so its more memorable.

One thing about this place though.  sometimes people come here to learn what they are doing wrong.   roughly 60% of the responses are little better than its "cos you suck"  without explaining why.

I say roughly 60% because I don't fancy any debate on what a % is and how I arrived at that number and whether or not that's my biased opinion or not.   Frankly I made up that number based on what it feels like, my gut instinct.  Like lots of  "facts" on this board.

Also tagged with for, once, serious, toxicity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users