17 battles with Churchill I

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

HassenderZerhacker #1 Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:52 AM

Major

• Player
  • 29018 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

I needed 10k XP to finally get rid of the Churchill I and decided to grind it through today, so I activated a 50% XP boost.

the crew is not bad, it has almost 3 full skills.

here are the results and comments

9 wins from 17 battles.

the Churchill I doesn't win battles.

considering I didn't play too badly, this tank must be a loser.

MM:

bottom tier, 3 tiers: 8

bottom tier, 2 tiers: 5

middle tier, 3 tiers: 1

same tier: 1

top tier, two tiers: 1

=> the matchmaking regarding tiers was very frustrating.

average tier: 6.5 !!!

Tier 5 MM is also quite ripe with sealclubbers, often shooting full gold.

In a Churchill I, you hardly can do anything against them, you damage them twice before dying if lucky.

WN8: 1102

this is a bad WN8 result, usually I do 1500-2000 in useful tanks, this one is bad.

I thought WN8 stats are relative to a tank's average performance, I have trouble to understand how a consistent average of 2000 WN8 could possibly be achieved in this tank.

XVM:

my team's average predicted winrate was 48%, this means that the enemy teams had in average better stats than our team.
this is almost always the case as far as I am concerned, and it is frustrating.

XVM again:

XVM predictions aren't very reliable when the winchance is 50% +/- 5-6%, meaning battles rates 44%-56% could play out one way or another.
In general, I consider more than 8% difference to be significant.

In this series of games, there were 7 battles with more than 8% difference in winrate. XVM correctly predicted the outcome of 6 of them, and the 7th game we only won because we capped while the enemy heavies were too slow to destroy our cappers, otherwise that would have been a clear loss.

conclusion: when the difference in team strength is large, XVM predicts the outcome accurately.

XP:

believe it or not, even cashing in the 1500 extra XP from the "great XP missions" (sheesh) and the 50% XP boost, I wasn't able to earn 10.000 XP in 2 hours. I played the 17th battle without boost, and even then I had to use a little free XP to finally sell the Churchill I (good riddance).

About the tank:

Churchill I is a very bad tank.

It is very slow and the armor doesn't work except against noobs with 50% crews who shoot the tracks.

Encountering any type of autoloader is a death sentence, and Churchill I doesn't appreciate O-I or KV-2 either.

The gun depression is bad.

It's too slow to score damage once the enemy team has collapsed and it is too slow to decap your own cap if need be.

2 things can be used: the gun is usable as a slow-aim sniper gun, and with binocs the Churchill I has decent viewrange, so it's sometimes possible to spot.

The Churchill is a horrible grind, it's unfortunate that it unlocks TWO tanks in the British tech tree.

Arty focus:

driving a Churchill I, arty likely won't shoot you. it seems everyone knows how bad the churchill is, in 17 battles I got shot very rarely by arty.

I have finally sold the Churchill I and will never play it again. I am happy about that.

The point of this post, you will ask.

It's just about the realities of grinding a bad tier 5 tank.

It was a very frustrating experience, and I can't imagine new players like it.

Mind you, I had a 3 skill crew!!

and then there is that horrible matchmaking. average battle tier was 6.5

then the sealclubbers and noob autoloaders shooting full gold

I think some clever ideas are needed to improve the gaming experience in these tiers.

Leepants #2 Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18827 battles
  • [ZIIP] ZIIP
50%+ winrate is ok, buddy!

FTR #3 Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:18 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 14093 battles

View PostLeepants, on 31 January 2019 - 02:01 AM, said:

50%+ winrate is ok, buddy!

Churchill I is good tank confirmed.

Leepants #4 Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18827 battles
  • [ZIIP] ZIIP
Yeh. As that's EXACTLY what I said. :sceptic:

HassenderZerhacker #5 Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:33 AM

Major

• Player
  • 29018 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostLeepants, on 31 January 2019 - 02:26 AM, said:

Yeh. As that's EXACTLY what I said. :sceptic:

I think you missed the irony

Leepants #6 Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18827 battles
  • [ZIIP] ZIIP
Ditto

Lycopersicon #7 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:11 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10747 battles
Churchill I is pretty decent actually. The next two (Black Prince is also a wider Churchill) will be way worse. Churchill I is of course super slow and its armour is patchy, but at least half the people shooting you don't know the exact layout, so you can pretty much pretend that you have armour; also it has crazy good gun. Churchill VII will drive you nuts with its even worse mobility (particularly its godawful traverse; you will literally struggle to turn around corners and you can forget about turning around, it would take half the game) and its firepower remains pretty much the same, i.e. slightly lacking for its tier. Black Prince will finally come with some mobility (top speed the same, but much better specific power, so you get pretty decent maneuvrability and ability to drive uphill), but almost without a gun - even if you pen something, the result will make both you and the target laugh. So, good luck :D

JocMeister #8 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 25654 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

XVM win prediction...

:trollface:

Jorous #9 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:09 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20765 battles
  • [TPK] TPK
Coming up next. Churchill VII and Black Prince... Both are charmers

undutchable80 #10 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:20 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 9252 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Good luck mate! Did that grind last year and I still feel the pain. 

BR33K1_PAWAH #11 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 4947 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Churchill is bad? Wait till you get the Black Prince  :trollface:

Hamsterkicker #12 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35746 battles
  • [KWAAK] KWAAK
Now try the Chinese Tier V TD...

TankkiPoju #13 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21625 battles

I feel bad for Hassender... once he realizes Churchill I isn't actually all that bad, and he will be playing up to Caernarvon with basically the same gun and tank platform...

150 alpha in a slow tier 7 heavy... I suggest keeping hard liquor near at all times when grinding.

the_nebuchadnezzar #14 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50198 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
I'm saving enough free XP to be able to get directly to tier 9. 

XxKuzkina_MatxX #15 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:03 AM

Major

• Player
  • 53179 battles
  • [_B-R_] _B-R_

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 31 January 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

You could play and elite the tier 8 Caernarvon in TBs to save some free XP.

BlackBloodBandit #16 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1783 battles

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 31 January 2019 - 12:52 AM, said:

About the tank:

Churchill I is a very bad tank.

It is very slow and the armor doesn't work except against noobs with 50% crews who shoot the tracks.

Encountering any type of autoloader is a death sentence, and Churchill I doesn't appreciate O-I or KV-2 either.

The gun depression is bad.

It's too slow to score damage once the enemy team has collapsed and it is too slow to decap your own cap if need be.

2 things can be used: the gun is usable as a slow-aim sniper gun, and with binocs the Churchill I has decent viewrange, so it's sometimes possible to spot.

The Churchill is a horrible grind, it's unfortunate that it unlocks TWO tanks in the British tech tree.

Arty focus:

driving a Churchill I, arty likely won't shoot you. it seems everyone knows how bad the churchill is, in 17 battles I got shot very rarely by arty.

I have finally sold the Churchill I and will never play it again. I am happy about that.

The point of this post, you will ask.

It's just about the realities of grinding a bad tier 5 tank.

It was a very frustrating experience, and I can't imagine new players like it.

Mind you, I had a 3 skill crew!!

and then there is that horrible matchmaking. average battle tier was 6.5

then the sealclubbers and noob autoloaders shooting full gold

I think some clever ideas are needed to improve the gaming experience in these tiers.

Churchill I isn't the best, but it's certainly not bad. Armor is indeed none, so don't count on it and only bait people to shoot the tracks as they stick out on the front. Gold ammo doesn't matter much against this tank, as loads of tanks can pen you easily. It's a dpm monster and your focus should be on trying to use that.

Compared to the tanks after it, this tank can have a lot more influence on the battles then the Churchill VII and BP, as their armor doesn't work against higher tiers and their pen is bad. This means they won't be able to use their dpm.

You said you didn't get hit by arty very often. that means you are probably very lucky, as usually arty WILL focus tanks like these, not only because they are slow, but also because the roof armor is bad. I got focussed a lot by arties and you lose like 30-40% by same tier arties already on a direct hit. Even when playing my Churchill III on this account, I get focussed a lot by arties, even when being bottomtier.

I played the tank on another account and 3-marked it, playing it with 75% crew and working up to about only 1 skill on it. had very simply equipment on is, like a toolbox and binocs. The gun is good, except for the alpha.

arthurwellsley #17 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52696 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 31 January 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

Since the buffs the Caenarvon is now worth playing (previously was worth skipping).

Jorous #18 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20765 battles
  • [TPK] TPK

Caern wasn't too bad. Actually great DPM, but take enough gold ammo with you all the time.

I did the Black Prince grind last year in the XP Fever event. 15K XP every ?? 10 battles ?? I played nine games in other tanks and came to the BP for the 10th.

Needed 15 battles to elite it :teethhappy:

Edited by Jorous, 31 January 2019 - 09:32 AM.

250swb #19 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23165 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I haven't played it in ages but I thought the Churchill 1 was a nice tank to play, and the first tank I got an MOE with. The only problem was keeping up with the team.

Noo_Noo #20 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

Major

• Player
  • 22195 battles

I managed to 3 mark the Churchill 1. It worked for me. Choosing your flank wisely was the biggest issue i found and the presence of arty often influenced that decision. You know because arty doesn't influence battles at all. 

Tier for Tier I think its better than the Church VII and Black Prince but again they weren't as bad as people made out. 

Big thing with the Church 1 is gun choice. I took the top gun with the better penetration, higher alpha and lower rate of fire(Still quick though) as I found hitting harder was better and the gun seemed more accurate for me. Others go ham with the 6 pounder I think it is and basically spam everyone in front of them. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users