XVM curse

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Unangwata #1 Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13086 battles

So ask yourself what are benefits of XVM ?

By intent it supposed to be informative addon. 

What did it become ?

Information it provides supposed to be neutral nature. Just an information. However it became something else. It became guideline for players to achieve standards it provides.

This way players fall into XVM trap, trying to advance in realm of some 3rd party addon.

Since more players use it and make it popular, the more people fall into that trap, sort of obsession.

What are benefits and disadvantages ?

A benefit could be targeting players that have worse stats. This is not benefit for people with worse stats, obviously.

Generally information that should be neutral cannot be really benefit itself since it doesn't affect your performance.

If you think about it XVM is not really needed to play and there are not many advantages it provides.

However, look at disadvantages.

People who take it too seriously may become discouraged before the battle starts. People who refer to XVM often insult other players with lower stats. XVM rat chase for stats brings frustration and disturbance to players who are in losing streak or when games go not as expected. This is most disturbing part because watching their stats people become too serious about the game and can become very offensive.

So in a way, it works like a curse. Not really necessary addon has grown to position where it doesn't really provides advantages worth the trouble it causes.

Edited by Unangwata, 31 January 2019 - 05:58 PM.

azakow #2 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 82865 battles

OMG.

this gonna be a long and winding road again.

:popcorn:

Jumping_Turtle #3 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69429 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostUnangwata, on 31 January 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

Since more players use it and make it popular, the more people fall into that trap, sort of obsession.

If any it would be that less and less people use it. It was way more a few years ago when all the good players told everyone to use xvm.

It is not more than 30% of the playerbase these days who use it.

anonym_32bOyLluvSuR #4 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 0 battles

Today i had a situation where clearly XVM played a part

i was on Himmesldorf on the Banana Rd holding back 3 tanks in my IS3A, north spawn and a Lowe sat behind on the road for some reason covering our flag? I'm asking for support pressing f7 but no response he just sits there so i'm thinking hes an inexperienced player, so i forget about it as hes being useless,

Meanwhile, i managed to take all 3 heavies down to very low HP,i have a Patton tier 9 giving me support and tracking and damaging them.. I bring up the scope as I've got some juicily exposed side turrets to take out,  easy kills I'm thinking

all of a sudden this  Lowe decide hes no longer semi afk & smashes through both of us,  jogging my shot and pushing the m46 half way up a wall then flipping him over he then. blocks our shots and steals all 3 kills 

Post match I checked his stats 56% and 67k games

He only got 352 dmg :)..but what massive icehole....

of course pm's where sent, his reply was gtfo yellow dog, debil, tomato etc, the m46 that was helping out was a 47% player as well...so yes xvm is toxic and when we can hide our stats these "players" will no longer indulge in such utterly selfish game play

The M46 also pm'd me and said the Lowe player had also told him to L2P red scum.

i could not care less about being kill stolen, as me and the M46 finished top in DMG

That M46 played very well that game and his stats did not reflect his abilities in that match 

This behaviour really made me feel that XVM is at the heart of so many unbalanced games and selfish behaviours. When its gone it will be a good thing and I believe some players will have to readjust and thier precious stats will stats to drop fast,  as they will have to learn to play without this crutch.

i wonder if we will get whine posts about the removal of XVm when the abiltiy to hide stats is implemeted?

Jumping_Turtle #5 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69429 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
replay replay replay

anonym_32bOyLluvSuR #6 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 0 battles

Sorry i didn't have record all only last battle :confused:

have to check that now!

But its 200% true i swear on the holy bible...

but in a total of 13-14k games in wot, this is something I've only ever experienced a handful of times....

Jumping_Turtle #7 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69429 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT
But do you use XVM ?

Eudemus #8 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3796 battles

View PostJumping_Turtle, on 31 January 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

If any it would be that less and less people use it. It was way more a few years ago when all the good players told everyone to use xvm.

It is not more than 30% of the playerbase these days who use it.

Source for the not more than 30% guess??

pecopad #9 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29276 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

The problem is that if it were not for XVM, the green part of the players would stop playing the game....

Actually I'm not sure that would be a big problem,but still many players play for stats, others play to grind tanks, etc, so without stats many players would lack the incentive to play.

Edited by pecopad, 31 January 2019 - 06:48 PM.

anonym_32bOyLluvSuR #10 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Postpecopad, on 31 January 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

The problem is that if it were not for XVM, the green part of the players would stop playing the game....

Actually I'm not sure that would be a big problem,but still many players play for stats, others play to grind tanks, etc, so without stats many players would lack the incentive to play.

And this is a bad thing?

:trollface:

SABAOTH #11 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

What did it become ?

Information it provides supposed to be neutral nature. Just an information. However it became something else. It became guideline for players to achieve standards it provides.

This way players fall into XVM trap, trying to advance in realm of some 3rd party addon.

What are benefits and disadvantages ?

A benefit could be targeting players that have worse stats. This is not benefit for people with worse stats, obviously.

Generally information that should be neutral cannot be really benefit itself since it doesn't affect your performance.

If you think about it XVM is not really needed to play and there are not many advantages it provides.

However, look at disadvantages.

People who take it too seriously may become discouraged before the battle starts. People who refer to XVM often insult other players with lower stats. XVM rat chase for stats brings frustration and disturbance to players who are in losing streak or when games go not as expected. This is most disturbing part because watching their stats people become too serious about the game and can become very offensive.

So in a way, it works like a curse. Not really necessary addon has grown to position where it doesn't really provides advantages worth the trouble it causes.

I don't think you get it.

Besides who is XVM bitchin at the start is a moron, and they would find anything to whine if you take out XVM. :girl:

It's not really an argument for the confort that it gives. Actually it would be good if WG could implement half of the practical functionalities in 8 years.... how about automatically return the crew to tanks? Without XVM you have to go hunting for crew any time you use a premium. :coin:

Kartoshkaya #12 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27383 battles
  • [HAPY-] HAPY-

The garage stuff is pretty usefull.

FrantisekBascovansky #13 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29783 battles

tried XVM once

considered it as useless and sometimes contraproductive

got rid of it after a week or two

why is this still a thing?

Renesco #14 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 25106 battles
  • [SOBAD] SOBAD

View PostDiscontinued, on 31 January 2019 - 06:26 PM, said:

That M46 played very well that game and his stats did not reflect his abilities in that match 

This behaviour really made me feel that XVM is at the heart of so many unbalanced games and selfish behaviours. When its gone it will be a good thing and I believe some players will have to readjust and thier precious stats will stats to drop fast,  as they will have to learn to play without this crutch.

While you make a good point, and I too have seen orange players play very well, I usually think of the XVM colours as the survivability of the player. Like clockwork the reds die first, then the oranges, then the last men standing on both teams are the yellows and greens. While there are anomalies that is what happens 90% of the time. So what use is XVM? Well I use it to try and headshot the enemy team's better players if I can, or focus them if I'm in an arty.

kubawt112 #15 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

The main disadvantage in my mind is that it's a distraction that doesn't contribute anything positive, not to mention that it's a mod that demands a fair share of system resources and like most mods may cause instability. I mostly use it to figure out how much I can trust my teammates, or perhaps rather to remind me that I should never trust my teammates.

Can't help but wonder, though, why would you target someone with bad stats?

View PostHarpalusKarmalus, on 31 January 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

XVM is able to tell which other players have it installed and/or active. I only have a handful of team screenshots, which I honestly can't be arsed to cut and paste, but the normal interval for active XVM users seem to be 3-6 per team.

View Postpecopad, on 31 January 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

Would you like to explain your reasoning behind the first line? Most that would like to remove XVM likely means the in-game stats feature (XVM is more akin to a mod framework, it's not only for displaying stats), not general access to the WoT API.

If you mean measuring your stats, it likely wouldn't matter as long as I have access to your own stats. I believe that even hardcore rerollers do it for their own sake, since it's very obvious when someone has rerolled their account (and most clans have special requirements for rerolls, or recent stats for specific tanks) - kind of akin to wearing fake brand clothes.

Nishi_Kinuyo #16 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9077 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
There's benefits? :amazed:

Jumping_Turtle #17 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69429 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostHarpalusKarmalus, on 31 January 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

I use xvm and when you do you can see who has xvm active. Battles where there are 10 or more xvm users are extremly rare. Most of the times it is (way) less.

Captain_Kremen0 #18 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 39141 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
And all the mongs who complain (still) about the winchance that went like years ago.

Jumping_Turtle #19 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 69429 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 31 January 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

And all the mongs who complain (still) about the winchance that went like years ago.

July 2017 to be exact.

Bordhaw #20 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14894 battles

View PostUnangwata, on 31 January 2019 - 04:57 PM, said:

What did it become ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users