Why Do You Play ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

OIias_of_Sunhillow #1 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25294 battles

Reward, satisfaction.. ?

I had a mate pop round at lunchtime, and showed him the Common Test server, which I was on at the time.

He's not downloaded it, so never played on CT. Occasionally I'll play on it just for the change of pace, checking out other vehicles..

The reply he gave as to why he wouldn't download it, confused me. He said that the time he spends on WoT is limited, so he only grinds for new tanks.

And once attained, sells the one below. He says he has about 2 hours of an evening to play, at most, and sometimes at the weekend.

His reply sounded almost like he was clocking in and out, and grinding at what needs to be worked on, and nothing else.

When I've platooned with him in the past, he's moved from tank to tank getting his x2/3/5, whatever, just for the grind...

"Don't you ever play just for fun?" Was the question I asked.

5 hours later, his reply still has me ...I dunno...  :unsure:

Erwin_Von_Braun #2 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 40367 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Rewards, sometimes when they are worth the effort - mostly just for giggles tho :)

krismorgan #3 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 34304 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
I play because i like the game even with its many faults.

The_Naa #4 Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3934 battles
  • [FIN-V] FIN-V

I like playing cool tanks, and if its good performing tank I play it more, like 59-Patton... Its just Such a shmooth tank to play and it feels like it can do everything :rolleyes:

Great balance of everything

My grinds can stop for weeks when I "Fall in Love with it". its the best term I can think of

Discontinued #5 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3644 battles

i like to play games with guns in them and blow things up without going to jail.

ive stopped grinding for tanks as on my main i had 100's of tanks and researched everything i could have wanted as wellas many tanks i didnt want...the brit Td's for instance

Since ive stopped grinding ive started to enjoy the game a lot more and only have around 22 tanks in the garage.

my stats have become less important but i still like to see an improvement and have set more realistic goals not to impress but rather as a bench mark to try and improve upon. my goal is to reach 50% as i think that is realistic with my limited abilities.

i no longer wish to seal club

the enjoyment i now get from the game is being able to play higher tiers without feeling intimidated and blowing up type 5's with my T110E3 and its 375mm pen with "gold" ammo.

revenge is sweet

gunslingerXXX #6 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11847 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
For fun, to mess around and blow things up, to get my mind away from real life stuff, to get new shiny pixels.

SuedKAT #7 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Many relatives including my dad either spent time in the military due to it being obligatory or made it into a career, so at early age I was exposed to all things military and it sparked a life long interest. When I got home from school I often spent time watching black and white documentaries about WW2, the technological advancements and the different approaches all countries had to solving "problems" fascinate me and tanks are such a massive part of that which so far have resulted in me playing almost every war themed game there is. However WoT scratch that itch in portion sized bites rather than steal an entire week being immersed in a game world wanting to finish the story or something similar, it's convenient to be able to log in, play some and then be done with it, or if I want spend an entire day playing, must admit though that since the dreadful 3-5-7 MM was introduced and overall worsening balance I've been playing less and less.

Bulanskovich #8 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20871 battles
  • [RO-SE] RO-SE
It's a stress relief for me, helps me keep my mind off and keeps me entertained.

Snake_Keeper #9 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9381 battles
I just want to play with non-modern tanks, mostly WWII.

Sfinski #10 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 33421 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-
Sense of achievement. Having good games, achieving goals I set for myself like having >10k game or marks or what ever.

Lycopersicon #11 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10747 battles
Ideally I play because I want to. Unfortunately I tend to find half an hour later that I don't want to play anymore but still continue. So most of the time the reason is obsession.

Bordhaw #12 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13163 battles

View PostOIias_of_Sunhillow, on 31 January 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

"Don't you ever play just for fun?" Was the question I asked.

PowJay #13 Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37047 battles

This is a game. More than that though, it is a challenge. WG make it difficult and frustrating in a number of ways and then- just to keep it interesting- they buff and nerf (generally [edited] about with) everything so it becomes a new game every few months. While this is INCREDIBLY annoying at times, it does push you to keep up and try and beat the system.

Understanding the game well is something I strive to do, but I know where my issues lie with certain things. Take view range and concealment for example. Let's say I have been playing one of my tier III to V TDs and have kemped bush for an entire battle (which isn't really true) and just shot the enemy to bits without being spotted. Then I drag the Grille 15 out and suddenly I leave base for the same bush and I am spotted immediately. Things like this in tier differences are a problem of mine.

Most times, when I play, it is usually for an objective. This might be a weekend or short term mission or a campaign mission. It might be to grind a tank or module with bonuses available. I might be to mark a tank (not so often) or to pick a favourite vehicle and see if I can do better in it. NOT meeting that objective within a reasonable number of games is incredibly frustrating when I know that I can do it. I've broken a keyboard- only once- I've been so angry. When I do achieve an objective, however, I can shout and cheer and almost dance around the house. I guess THAT is what I play for. That one feeling that I have done something really good.

I will play "for fun", but often I am simply left frustrated and may not consider a session more than "meh!" unless I have had a positive win rate and at least a couple of really good battles.

If you really want to know why I play. Take a look at the battles (some are rather old) on WoTreplays. Those battles are the reason I play.

SABAOTH #14 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 40172 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

I play because it's the only game where you can flip a 100+ ton vehicle for touching a wall or a twig. :child:

Also where esle can you find flat mountains and hills? :girl:

wsatnutter #15 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 25828 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

cos some day like tonight on ensk

its me versus the last 5 and im capping and the E25 comes to decap I one slotted him on almost full bloom and then booooooom

result

Battle: Ensk
Vehicles: Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H
Experience received: 1,925 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Bonds received: 6
Credits earned: 26,434 (fine for damage caused to allies: 188)
Battle achievements: Invader, Kolobanov's Medal, Mastery Badge: "Class II"

its these moments that make you go wtf  and think oh yes

jack_timber #16 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

Major

• Player
  • 35819 battles

In a nutshell...

It's fun, wouldn't play otherwise.

Element6 #17 Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30561 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I'm a type of player that can spend 10x the normal time it takes to complete a game, because I like to explore every room, under every box, behind every door etc. because there might just be on item there that can be found. It doesn't even have to be special or important, I just like to find it because some developer put it there. I would guess it would be classified as a sense of achievement.

It's sort of the same with WoT, ultimately I want to unlock every singe tank in the game. On this journey I play through some tanks that are very fun, some that are meh, and some that are utter crap. The crap tanks are challenges in their own right, and provide some form of variation. In this sense I play WoT as sort of an adventure. Too uniform and it kills the fun, which is why I have only played limited amounts of the football, Karl and Chaffee races, and probably why Frontline went stale on me, same map over and over and no tier change or top/mid/bottom tier play.

I play WoT because it fullfills a lot of the things I look for in a game, longevity, huge variations, allows playing even if you have less than an hour available and you are never locked to the game for more than 15 minutes, and new content as you go along.

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25612 battles
  • [POOLS] POOLS
Well, I used to find it just about fun enough to forgive it's failings and bs up until recently but for me part of the fun is winning and doing well so while I've relatively maintained the doing well part so far as my own performance during battles is concerned, the winning part has just gone away over the last week and the teams of heavily soaked crayons that immediately surrender 90% of the map and basically play to lose is really starting to get on my t*ts so I stopped playing 3 days ago, played again tonight, same sh*t again to the point I took a ban in frustration with my teammates and I guess if it keeps going this way which there is no reason it won't, I'll move on to another game. I've won just about everything and ticked all the boxes so far as what I wanted to "achieve" in this game so if that's how it goes I've can't complain and will look back a game I got value from.

seXikanac #19 Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12602 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-
I play because it reminds me in my time in WW1 when we had fun testing out this new thing lads came up with, we called it tanks so jerries think its some front line water carrier

malowany #20 Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:49 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5883 battles
  • [H-O-A] H-O-A

I love tanks, to bits. Add that to a very well crafted game design at its core, a satisfaction generating moments, it has a smooth gameplay, is quick to pick up and doesn't require particular engagement, so its not a problem to pop in for 30 minutes before leaving for work. 

Above still outweighs the plethora of issues I have with this game for now, so I guess thats why I still play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users