Grinding a tank vs grinding several tanks

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

OMG_Abaddon #1 Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13954 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

I've always had a mental conflict between grinding a single tank and grinding several daily missions, now in my head I see two things:

1. By playing all tanks 1 at a time I get to level them 2x faster, because I take advantage of the bonus, which utopically if I had 100% winrate would be optimal, but defeats count the same so it's not that better, although it's definitely a good concept.

2. By playing a single tank I get to beeline something I like and play tier 10, yay top tier matches!

But then I start wondering if I will really like tier 10 better, I'm currently on a good win spree, and among other reasons because I play all tanks, so I know where all those tanks I play have the weak spots. E.g. I play KV-2 and everyone's whining because it hits for 900 damage, then realize it has 22 seconds or something ridiculous reload time, and armor is made of origami paper.

I won't have that knowledge if I rush some bobject and assume I'm a godlike tank with now downsides. On the other hand I wouldn't need to play premium tanks for long periods just to farm the 1M gold that I'll need to sell one of my several tanks and buy the next one.

What do you guys do? Do you recommend to tunnelvision a tank and play until I get it instead of spreading out? Take into consideration that right now I don't play one or another tank, I'm asking just for the sake of getting to know the game because I honestly haven't had time and money to reach tier 10.

PayMore #2 Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27442 battles
just grind a obj-xxx, other tanks is just retarded to grind

qpranger #3 Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:07 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38883 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
Grinding is so 90's.

Element6 #4 Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31699 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I grind a lot at the same time. Sometimes when I get close to the end of a grind I focus on that tank and play it over and over, and it always end up boring me. 

Tramp_In_Armour #5 Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8427 battles

I'm grinding several lines, and I always try to grind up to the same level, so that, in theory, I get to learn a new level from several different perspectives - it helps when I meet tanks I've never played before, and they're all VK-this or Object-that and I can't tell them apart. So I need to stick at a level for a while until I get used to the meta.

But I also have the attention span of a dog in a biscuit factory, so I often end up trying something new because, after just a couple of days, I get bored of the last tank I played. So now I have more lines than is advisable. What can I say? They're all so tasty.

Nishi_Kinuyo #6 Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 9067 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Grind one or several lines depending on your skill...

...and credits.

Just like Call of Cthulhu is not a race to zero sanity, World of Tanks is not a race to tier 10.

Homer_J #7 Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 32387 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I don't consider it grinding.  I will have between one and five or even six tanks undergoing research at any one time.  I might concentrate on one, usually if it's near becoming elite, or if it's new, or if I like it, or if I don't.

Wintermute_1 #8 Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 50013 battles
Its all about how much free XP you need to bypass the really crappy modules. As long as the tanks are in decent configurations, you can be grinding as many as you want. Its the stock grinds you want to avoid as much as possible.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72848 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I found that giving myself a cap on 3 non-elite grinds at the time works best for me. If I do more, the chances of getting one that refuses to win a 2x grow bigger. And there is always one when you have 5-6, thus just adding more frustration. That and when you have too many you just end up doing the daily vs focusing on one grind. Now I do 2 dailies that don't have all modules yet. And focus on the 3rd more that is the Standard B and grind that, as it got all its modules.

At the same time, I find doing 1 kinda dulls it down more so than not. As terrible stock grinds or overall boring grinds appear either way for that to work. With 3 I at least have one grind I enjoy. 

seXikanac #10 Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13374 battles
  • [-YU-] -YU-

View PostOMG_Abaddon, on 05 February 2019 - 09:58 PM, said:

I've always had a mental conflict between grinding a single tank and grinding several daily missions, now in my head I see two things:

1. By playing all tanks 1 at a time I get to level them 2x faster, because I take advantage of the bonus, which utopically if I had 100% winrate would be optimal, but defeats count the same so it's not that better, although it's definitely a good concept.

2. By playing a single tank I get to beeline something I like and play tier 10, yay top tier matches!

But then I start wondering if I will really like tier 10 better, I'm currently on a good win spree, and among other reasons because I play all tanks, so I know where all those tanks I play have the weak spots. E.g. I play KV-2 and everyone's whining because it hits for 900 damage, then realize it has 22 seconds or something ridiculous reload time, and armor is made of origami paper.

I won't have that knowledge if I rush some bobject and assume I'm a godlike tank with now downsides. On the other hand I wouldn't need to play premium tanks for long periods just to farm the 1M gold that I'll need to sell one of my several tanks and buy the next one.

What do you guys do? Do you recommend to tunnelvision a tank and play until I get it instead of spreading out? Take into consideration that right now I don't play one or another tank, I'm asking just for the sake of getting to know the game because I honestly haven't had time and money to reach tier 10.

What I would suggest is to grind lines with the same mechanic, you will perform much better that way

undutchable80 #11 Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11661 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I am grinding multiple nations and lines and generally I will do my daily doubles on a handful of those tanks that I feel like playing that night. Unless there is a combat-xp special, then I focus on 2-3 tanks that evening. Generally (semi-)stock ones or tanks I am not enjoying but want / need to grind past to get to the next one. 

Oh, and personally for me T9 is my endgame. By playing and (hopefully) gitting gudder at that tier I will get to Tier 10 eventually, but I am not actively chasing / rushing it. 

Hedgehog1963 #12 Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:17 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 54369 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

I generally have a few on the go.  The use of x2 win bonus is just efficient.  Thing is that the ships have my attention at the moment although I am really looking forward to playing WoT with the new multicore tech.  I've put down the ships for the rest of the month and I'm going to be playing my Chin grinders even after the first win of the day.

The other thing is that tier X isn't a lot of fun unless you are a fairly good player in my experience.  I'm below the standard where I feel comfortable there.

Edited by Hedgehog1963, 06 February 2019 - 04:53 PM.

kaneloon #13 Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30964 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

2 or 3 lines are fine, and with different types of tanks to have some diversity.

My main problem is crew management.

If you push your crew from tiers to tiers until X and then dont play that tiers it is a loss.

So I usually play 2 tanks of each line : one crew will be for tX, the other for tiers 9, or tiers 8 if I don't have a premium that tiers for the tX crew.

OMG_Abaddon #14 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13954 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 05 February 2019 - 10:50 PM, said:

Just like Call of Cthulhu is not a race to zero sanity, World of Tanks is not a race to tier 10.

+1 for the lovecraft reference. Also yeah that's my mindset when grinding this, but some of my friends are urging me to get to T10 ASAP to play certain game modes, which I've never played personally so I don't know if that's such an interesting idea.

On top of that, last week I spammed my chinese tanks and nuked the 75 win boost in 1 day playing all 4 lines at once, I was stuck at tier 7 with all those 4 and really enjoyed the matchmaking as opposed to the more common 99% bottom tier that T8 offers, where the biggest issue is that I'm always against tier 10 tanks. Do I really want to go there? Maybe it's a different feel when you don't get oneshot by FV4005, or get to brawl a bunch of super heavy tanks in corridor maps.

View PostHedgehog1963, on 06 February 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

I generally have a few on the go.  The use of x2 win bonus is just efficient.  Thing is that the ships have my attention at the moment although I am really looking forward to playing WoT with the new multicore tech.  I've put down the ships for the rest of the month and I'm going to be playing my Chin grinders even after the first win of the day.

The other thing is that tier X isn't a lot of fun unless you are a fairly good player in my experience.  I'm below the standard whee I feel comfortable there.

I believe I'm fairly good for a player that barely shoots any gold (I admit I spam gold at Type 5 heavy and similar broken tanks), last week I got an average of 55-60% win rate overall, including several games where I was bottom tier on stock tanks like T-34-1 and couldn't do anything. Literally insufficient stats across the board. So overall I shouldn't have an issue with skill, more about why is everyone able to pen my HT everywhere, then find out I bounced 5k gold but still took several hits because +80 pen.

----

Seems like there are different mindsets, no consensus? Maybe I should start a poll.

Edited by OMG_Abaddon, 06 February 2019 - 11:54 AM.

MrClark56 #15 Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 7213 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Mutiple grinds is way to go for me. Sometimes im lucky with my rushian grinds sometimes its with merica grinds.. although it tends more to be the russia. Line that gets me more luck. Its never both at the same time. And sometimes you just cant win in a tank on a particular day. Karma says no WR goes south..then i switch to another grind. 

T10 has nice tanks but gameplay is something else.. weird but you feel the weight much more than wh3n playing tier 9 tanks.

Gardar7 #16 Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23938 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I grind several lines and after a while usually I sell some tanks here and there. With time of course I buy them back. I wasted a lot of money on this manner, but sometimes I get bored about a line so I decide to grind another and because I need the silver, I sell some old, unused tanks. Within some months I start to miss the old tanks and buy them back. This is why I reach very few tier 10s and I have most of the things resarched until tier 7-8.

- Swedish TD at tier 7 (mediums soon hopefully, so I have already bought back Leo and started to collect some xp on it) 

- Japanese medium (just bought STB-1/Type 74, which is my precious-never-selling tank) 

- Soviet lights (just for fun, at tier 5 atm but I'm not taking it any seriously) 

- Soviet T62A (just researched, as I like the appearance of Soviet MBTs) 

- 121 (sold it, but planning to buy it back) 

- IS-7 and Obj. 277 line at tier 9, I'm planning to sell T-10 and obj.257 (I'm sure I will regret with time but I would like to get some fast silver)

- Chinese TD line (stopped at tier 5, nowadays I want to continue)

- Czech tier 9 Skoda (now not a priority as the grind is long to the autoloader gun and I don't like the appearance that much now - I rebought it during Christmas as I sold it once last year)

- Chinese lights (Thinking about rebuying tier 7 after I rage-sold it during stock grind)

- Swedish heavies (Stopped at tier 8, rarely taking out Emil for fun)

- British medium line (The stock grind of Centurion 7/1 is horrible, so I don't feel the urge to play with it, even though I loved Cent.3)

- Japanese heavies (Researched tier 7, thinking about buying it one day, but I feel that it is a shame to drive these derpy-tanks)

In the old days when there were only three nations in the game I played 'muricans and Germans as well, but I really don't want to play them anymore. I have got Skorp G 2017 Christmas from loot boxes but I think I barely played 15 battles with it and it is just collecting dust - next in line to sell or trade in maybe. I'm not interested in Italian, Polish and Frenchie lines at all. 

As you can see I grind a lot of lines at the same time and I'm progressing very slowly because when I'm bored, I change immediately. I have only limited time to play and a game for me is all about fun, I don't like dull grinds.

Geno1isme #17 Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48107 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Personally I really dislike playing the same stuff over and over again, so I try to have five to ten tanks of different classes and tiers in my rotation. Also helps to reduce stuff like "why I'm only getting this map the whole day" or "bottom-tier the whole day" as the same map+setup can have very different effects depending on the tank you play.

StinkyStonky #18 Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

Major

• Player
  • 34079 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

There are 3 or 4 lines that I'm not grinding, 2 or 3 lines that split at tier 9/10 where I only intend to go down one and 4 or 5 lines that I've mostly stopped grinding at tier 8 (this includes several light and heavy lines).  I have 3 or 4 tanks with no crews.

I have over 30 vehicles in my garage that are "on the grind" i.e. not yet elite.

Some I play a lot, some I play occasionally.

I find grinding 1 tank to be tiresome.  I've been trying to take advantage of this month's Chinese mission but playing the wz 1111111-1-4 over and over is even more tediously repetitive than its name !!!!

SaintMaddenus #19 Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38059 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The down down side to grinding a lot of tanks at one time is that they each have a different play style and sometimes we are geared up to play a particular style in the tank we just played, take that style to the next tank and fail terribly.   I have found that when I focus on playing 1 tank for a few battles my game improves as i continue to learn it's strengths and weaknesses.   This includes tanks I've played for ages and kept.  If i flit from Med to Heavy to light i do much worse than if I stick to a type.  I do even better if i stick to one tank.

It depends on how quickly you can change your style of play.

Bandahor #20 Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 38288 battles
These are a stupid brainless idea, last game 6 on each side, totally screwed the game. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users