Fench armor cars. A valuable addition or just rediculous?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

TacPenguin #1 Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43534 battles

So far it seems just a bunch of @@@@s zipping about blasting away till they over whelm the enemy team or die.

I hope it settles down because right now it feels just like 2011/ 2012 when the T50-2s were just zooming about like Tron light cycles suicide scouting and trashing games.

TacP

Rhym #2 Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:41 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6378 battles
  • [GWOF] GWOF
Well I can tell you the Panhard AMD 178B is basically a worse light tank. It's not  is not giving me a good impression at all. It's too slow and it's gun is garbage.

Nandee #3 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:19 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 36567 battles
  • [KV2I] KV2I
But have you seen any in game, they are not really faster than a light, while being bigger, I don't get the appeal of them. Sure there are many of these things, and they can be annoying beacause of it, but I can think of better lights at every single tier.

Sargatanas2k2 #4 Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 42916 battles
The AMD 178B is honestly very poor. The handling at low speed means basically if you slow down for any reason you're pretty much assured death. The gun is ok but the lack of low speed mobility just kills it for me and honestly I have absolutely no idea why going slower would make a wheeled vehicle turn worse. It makes no sense!

Kothaar #5 Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 59859 battles
  • [IGNOR] IGNOR
The fabulous invention of giving the light tank wheels instead of tracks removes its ability to turn on spot. So, an "armored car" in this game is worse in turn radius than any tank.

No armor, of course. And extremely weak gun. Basically a tier 3 gun in a tier 6 tank. Chance from the AMX ELC to AMD178B felt like a massive downgrade, with the exception that you are now fighting against stronger enemies!

And of course their intended use is totally unhistorical. They are clearly intended to play aggressive, to circle enemies and destroy them by shooting from anywhere from 10 to 15 hits with their weak guns. But you cannot do that alone, since circling an enemy tank alone simply invites other enemies to use you as a shooting target and you will be killed in seconds. And guess how many of your team mates will co-operate with you. Like before, no one. This is essentially suicide scouting, a useless tactic.

The way to actually help your team is to hide behind and snipe at enemies somebody else has discovered. This way you will at least cause a few hundred points of damage and help your team. But this game punishes this behaviour by giving you almost no experience. I have had battles where I caused over 500 points of damage and earned just over 100 points experience.

So, the game forces you to play an idiotic role of rushing the enemy and dying in less than a minute after battle start. Experienced gamers are forced to play like noobs. Wonderful.

My guess is they are once again trying to force people to play in platoons, since alone an armored car is useless. Wont happen.

Edited by Kothaar, 07 February 2019 - 02:08 PM.

punkyjam67 #6 Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 25575 battles
I have the Tier VI, VII & VIII so far & I've surprised myself - I'm loving them!

The 178B is elited, but the other two are basically stock & still perform quite well.

Some battles I even survive 'til the end... :B:teethhappy:

kaneloon #7 Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29492 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB
WG probably were probably so afraid of "OP" gamers cries that they made them powerless.

azakow #8 Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:53 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79051 battles

View PostTacPenguin, on 06 February 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

So far it seems just a bunch of @@@@s zipping about blasting away till they over whelm the enemy team or die.

I hope it settles down because right now it feels just like 2011/ 2012 when the T50-2s were just zooming about like Tron light cycles suicide scouting and trashing games.

TacP

2012 was the year of French. Auto "game braking" loaders were introduced.

I remember to free XP the FR LT7 (AMX 1390 at this time).

I have hard time controlling WV.

Fibonachi #9 Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 27105 battles
  • [FREEP] FREEP

Seems like the tier VI was meant to be free xp-ed. Completely underperforming.

Why does the tier VII wheeled light have 250-300mm gun mantlet? It's modeled with over seven 40mm spaced part armor one over another. REALLY? This has more armor than the maus turret cheeks for some reason. Great design as always. 

James_Potkukelkka #10 Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 24080 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP
Lynx 6x6 where I started. It's quite meh. Too blind, too big, too small maps. Boring vehicle. I wish those wheeled would be fun to drive, but those are too handicapped right now. Not worth of grinding.

Tijsbeek993 #11 Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9832 battles
  • [JOM] JOM

View PostRhym, on 06 February 2019 - 10:41 PM, said:

Well I can tell you the Panhard AMD 178B is basically a worse light tank. It's not  is not giving me a good impression at all. It's too slow and it's gun is garbage.

Its a great tank, I got the T7, EBR Hotch. just 5kmp faster but the gun isnt a lot better. I just like the T6 a lot more.
The reverse speed of the T6 is soo great, of the T7 not really.

voodoospirit #12 Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:41 AM

Major

• Player
  • 27396 battles

grinding the lynx 6x6 (have it full for sometimes now), i like it, i might keep it after i unlock the T9, very team dependant at the start tho, on the average overall map, it s a mid/late gameplay tank.

my VR is 377m , i don t spot much but on small maps (but then everyone spot like me) , i mostly get spotted first and as i don t have suicidal tendancies, i back up and do fire support until the lines are cleared a bit so i can go deeper and harass , it relocate faster than other lights, pretty much like a regular AMX 13 XX gameplay but without the clip

the reverse speed allow fast peekaboo or relocation.

gun has a good focus so u can land snapshot at mid distance and lucky hits. u can also go reverse and still shot with a good focus on the tanks

no pivot= streets are a pain, i often get blocked by the walls with the turning radius, corridors are deathtraps as u can t pivot so...backward speed in a corridor = getting shot.

the wheels: anything will damages them, i think it has 20hps per wheels, splash, wrecks, tank contacts, anything....and 1-2 wheels dead, u lose 45/80% of the speed.

those tanks requires a highskill cap tho, a very good crew and camo paint....and food if possible whereas the usual equivalent light tank can have less skilled crew, no camo, no food to perform ok.

active spotter: my lttb performs way better and is more nimble at the same speed.

firesupport: my m41 90 or amx 13 XX perform better too. lttb has a lower pen but can still shot too.

passive spotting: no binocs available, a 75% crew [insert t8 LT] will do better.

never engage a LT432, never, neverrrrrrr.

the turret sometimes get lost, dunno which side to turn to aime the target as u circle/avoid targets.

at full speed , u r not nimble, seems that anything, right above the tomatoes, under 300m can manage to hit u ( if 2 wheels are dead u r at 20/30km/h amx = like tracked = dead)

HE is RNG dependant, very situationnal, i had bad rng on amx and others, so more likely paper very thin tank.(elc eleven, scorps, and so)

ruins ( statues/ himmeldorf debris) will make u jump or lose speed or send u on a 180/360/90 degres turn = death coming fast. u will find yourself doint a wheeling at 20kmh when 0.1sec ago, u were at 80kmh ....

at the end, i dont play it as a spotter but more likely as a M41 90 fire support machine, VR and speed doesn t counter binocs or classical lights (their speed + their VR) but taht need the team to be so-so until mid game so u can fly in and start to mess with everyone with your reverse speed and so.

it would be the equivalent of the lttb without the view range with fast reverse speed, less nimble, no bouncing chance, but a better pen gun with depression

for the moment, i still manage to get 52% WR with it but it mostly depends on what the team will do on the first 5mn....and the map.....

on the test server, the only one that can be an active spotter will be the EBR 105 as the base VR is meh but ok and can be boosted.

Edited by voodoospirit, 14 February 2019 - 12:45 AM.

Gremlin182 #13 Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:01 AM

General

• Player
  • 51992 battles

They need a good player to get the best out of them

Tier 6 is about the same forward than a comparable light tank forward and much faster in reverse. 60 60

Tier 7 bit faster forward again. slightly slower in reverse 70 45

Tier 8 is where you experience the full thing because now you have travel mode added.

Normal speed is 58 40 but mostly you will be in travel mode so 80 forward 60 reverse thats really moving and you are very maneuverable.

I cannot manage it as yet but a good player could use that forward and back to great advantage circling a tank I am just a little too old with bad reflexes so generally I keep circling in one direction.

Kothaar #14 Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 59859 battles
  • [IGNOR] IGNOR
Armored cars seem to have another "special" thing about them: a large number of mentally challenged individuals seem to believe it is your duty to "scout" for them, i.e. they like to sit behind while somebody else takes the risk of approaching enemy and show them the targets. Got harassed, even killed, several times already by such heavy tank and tank destroyer drivers.

Gremlin182 #15 Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:23 PM

General

• Player
  • 51992 battles

View PostKothaar, on 14 February 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

Armored cars seem to have another "special" thing about them: a large number of mentally challenged individuals seem to believe it is your duty to "scout" for them, i.e. they like to sit behind while somebody else takes the risk of approaching enemy and show them the targets. Got harassed, even killed, several times already by such heavy tank and tank destroyer drivers.

Yes had that on laketown  wanting me to spot on the track above the lake.

I Said pointless my view range is rubbish

You are an active scout..

Exactly thats why I am not going to drive along a narrow road when I know there are 3 TDs watching it all with way better view range.

These vehicles need space they have to be able to dodge not move straight at the enemy and then pull back also in a straight line.

Not been shot at as yet

Kothaar #16 Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:46 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 59859 battles
  • [IGNOR] IGNOR

View PostGremlin182, on 14 February 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

Yes had that on laketown  wanting me to spot on the track above the lake.

I Said pointless my view range is rubbish

You are an active scout..

Exactly thats why I am not going to drive along a narrow road when I know there are 3 TDs watching it all with way better view range.

These vehicles need space they have to be able to dodge not move straight at the enemy and then pull back also in a straight line.

Not been shot at as yet

Heavy tanks are actually better at recon than any other tank exactly because they can survive hits. In reality, light tanks waited behind the heavy tanks and attacked after they had made a hole into enemy line. That would work well in this game also.

But because light tanks are faster than heavies some heavy tank drivers demand that lights should attack first. Pretty selfish, and only results in light tanks getting killed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users